bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Dark Parables: The Red Riding Hood Sisters Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 20, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Parables: The Red Riding Hood Sisters Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Parables: The Red Riding Hood Sisters Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: The Red Riding Hood Sisters Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 20, 12 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 20, 12 12:47 AM
They keep getting better and better. Based on completing demo, this is the best Dark Parables to date in terms of production quality and artistic endeavor.

Has the fragmented objects in the hidden object searches, somewhat easy puzzles (so far) and a lot of adventuring. There is a map but you have to do the footwork yourself. The storyline is sort of the same, need to rescue someone... but still the whole idea of a group of women banding together to fight evil in their woods/town is rather different, too. I like the rich, woodsy environment with a heavy dose of fantasy, too.

Anyone who loved the other Dark Parable games should love this one as well. I can't speak for the CE features. For me, just getting to play it right now makes it worth getting the CE!

Well, I know there will be a lot more said about this game, so I'll leave it to those who are more articulate.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 20, 12 12:47 AM
Sorry if I'm a little early, but beta tested this game and I just couldn't wait !!!!

Played nearly 20 minutes casual

- 3 modes, casual, normal, hard
- Integrated SG, you can't access it in the demo sample
- Mini map showing you your current location and points of interest, you get full map if you click on it
- Task button
- Hint refills fairly quickly and is useful outside H0
- Didn't come across any mini game during the time I played
- Fragmented objects in H0 as usual in Dark Paarable
- Music a bit loud
- Gorgeous graphics
- Interesting, imaginative version of Red Riding Hood.

Coudn't exit the game fast enough to buy it. You're fighting against the Wolves' Queen, beautiful locations, interesting gameplay, lovely game and now, as I say when I love a game...it's mine, all mine !!!!, great hours of play ahead.

Sorry Baikal, this wasn't opened when I opened the other thread, just couldn't wait

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 20, 12 12:54 AM
Only played 20 minutes or so but here I am. A couple of things stood out right away. I'm one of those who hate sparkles, I really don't want them. There is a difficulty option but the one that removes the sparkles also removes the hint button and skip, oh and it also takes the map off you! Why can I not just turn sparkles off without being punished for it? I would love to see a game with three buttons in the options, sparkles, hints and skip, on or off, then players could have the help they want.Is that too obvious?
In the short time I played I only came across one puzzle and although it was quite easy, it didn't make any sense, I clicked a few things and it solved itself?
Apart from that, the graphics and sounds etc are very nice and I'm sure lots of people will love it but I holding back for Sundays game.
Enjoy.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Sep 20, 12 12:57 AM
This is a sample version not necessarily a full hour.

First off Little Red Riding Hood is all grown up. Definately not your childrens version.

I played 45 minutes on normal mode with more to do in the demo version. I was towards the end of chapter 2.

There is a map that will show where you are and areas of interest. You can not jump with it though

I love FROGs and there are plenty so far. Some of the objects are a little difficult to see but hints are available in easy and normal mode.

There are 20 morphing objects. Finding them goes towards your hints. I think to fill up faster.

You will also collect puzzle kind of pieces and characters. These will go towards the parables that you can read when completed.

The SG is completely locked until you buy ! So I have no idea how many chapters it is yet. Extras are also locked. Not sure if the open when you buy or if you have to complete the whole game.

There are voiceovers that will guide you along with the story.

I am going to buy this because I love FROGs and Dark Parables are beautifully done IMO.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Sep 20, 12 1:02 AM
Stunning! Played the demo for a few moments to ensure everything worked, then bought it right off!

The graphics are outstanding! I love how you can interact with some of the forest creatures by clicking on them.

Yes, there are morphing objects and little red riding hood statuettes of different sorts to locate as well. I have only played a bit of the game, so I don't have a large amount of input here. All I know is it is beautifully done.

There are the three modes of play, from easy to hard. And of course the sound, music and ambience adjustments.

This is one game where you will want to really take your time and enjoy the scenery. It's impressive to look at. I would love to keep going, but it's way past my bedtime.

Thrilled to say that it is finally here and it's MINE! YAAY!

Edited on 09/20/2012 at 1:03:26 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 20, 12 1:09 AM
Morning, all...

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? NO... it's a FROG !! (fragmented hidden object game)

There is a choice of 3 gameplay modes.

There is a widescreen option and, as with all technically astute developers, it works for me!!

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

The HINT button, which works very well outside of the HOS, is at the left, and takes about 30 seconds to refill in Easy mode.

The MAP, which shows you where you are and where some action is needed, but can't be used to jump, is at the right. It is open as a miniature map, and will expand when clicked on.

Next to the MAP is the SG (strategy guide), which can't be used in the demo.

The Bonus game is called "The Boy who cried Wolf".

There are 20 MORPHING objects to be found.

There are also other things that need finding (won't say what they are so as not to spoil it).

There is also a TASK button at the bottom, just above the Inventory list which, when clicked, tells you what you should do next. It shows when there are tasks to be done.

Puzzles/Mini games can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 45 seconds to fill in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

Graphics are lovely, and gameplay is really fun and interesting, and the cut scenes are Oscar-worthy. It's definitely a buy for me.

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Sep 20, 12 1:29 AM
I bought it because I had saved 2 credits for it. But for me, it's no "Rise of the Snow Queen." I think that's been their best game so far. I haven't really cared for the direction their others have gone in after that one. I didn't buy "Briar Rose" either.

This game is okay for me like the "Dark Piper," but based on the full strategy guide and playing a few minutes I could have passed on it. I uninstalled it and will play it later when I'm completely bored and desperate. I guess I'm just living in the past because I miss the originality of something like "Enlightenus."

Others will enjoy it though. It's another dark game and I'm kind of bored with that. I know the series is called "Dark Parables," but at least "Rise of the Snow Queen" rose above that bland and literal interpretation.

Edited on 09/20/2012 at 1:33:38 AM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Sep 20, 12 1:44 AM
Good morning everyone Once upon a time there was a little girl named Red Riding Hood while on her way to visit granny one day she saw a big nasty wolf so Red took a short cut to granny's only to find out her navigational skills were a little off and the short cut turned out to be the extra long way and by the time Red got to granny's she was all grown up and her clothes had morphed into a sexy vixen's outfit complete with swords, bow and arrows and all kinds of booty kicking equipment when granny saw Red she said oh Red look how you have grown but Red noticed the voice wasn't granny but in fact the big bad wolf and this my friends is where you can take this story anywhere you want to because this game totally ROCKS !

Stop the presses Red is all grown up and has sisters and they are kicking some major booty ! I was fortunate enough to play the beta of this game and let me tell you I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for this one ! The graphics on this game are totally mind blowing. This isn't the fairytale we all remember as children but you do see some of the fairytale within the game such as pictures of granny and other things. This one is a FROG which are my favorite type of hidden object games.

Everything about this game is dead on and what we have all come to expect and love from this developer and if any developer knows how to do a gorgeous game with a great story it's this developer. This is one of my favorite developer's and they have never disappointed and every game they do just gets better and better so for me this was a buy right out of the gate.

The game flows as smooth as water no sticking cursor no lagging just an absolutely flawless game. The puzzles are cool and fun, the music is good and fits the game perfectly there is nothing about this game that isn't good. Everything just fits with this game and when you have that you have the ingredients for a awesome game and this is exactly what this one. I cannot wait to get back to the game and play it because so far it's totally rocking.

The colors and textures are so bold and rich they are simply amazing to look at and I found myself just getting lost in the beauty of the game and how well the game is done they left no stone unturned they brought back a great fairytale and completely turned it around and into one of the most amazing games I've seen this year. Give this one a try. Thank you Blue Tea and Big Fish for another awesome game. Have fun everybody.

Edited on 09/20/2012 at 1:46:59 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 20, 12 2:33 AM
What can anyone truly say to fully explain how magnificent this game is?
----that it's from Blue Tea? That's really enough right there because, in my opinion, Blue Tea (and Boomzap) are without any question whatsoever the top two devs going right now. In this game, Blue Tea has set such a high bar of excellence it would seem that only they themselves can even come close to it. Thanks to these fine devs, our hobby moves ahead, it grows, it becomes more enjoyable with every release like this one----and what a wonderful benefit for us all!! The glory days of the same old, same old from devs that use the same templates, same music, same patterns, tired old series with little changing, same puzzles, etc. and generally simply resting on their past achievements are long gone thanks to games like these. Run, rabbit, run!

On to the game itself:
-the graphics are so stunningly gorgoeus, I found myself pausing for long periods just staring at the beauty of the scenery.
-the gameplay is as smooth and flawless as can be.
-the puzzles are unbelievably clever and fun, without being overly difficult, with several being unlike any seen before. (just shows what a little imagination, thought, and effort can do!)
-the fragmented object scenes are beautiful and fun without being too difficult to see as many of these type scenes can be if they're not careful.
-the voiceovers and cut scenes are exceptionally entertaining since they are so carefully done and thought out.
-there is a bonus game called "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"----what a clever fit!
-and, of course as with all fine, up to date, and discerning developers that truly care about their games and customers, there is WIDESCREEN!! (As it should be in any CE.)

I can't think of a single negative thing to say about this game at all----it's all positive, it's all about our love of games, and it's all about a dev that loves to make high quality, excellent games like this. Magnificent job, Blue Tea, and congratulations on this stellar game. Absolutely, positively a buy!!!!

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Sep 20, 12 3:19 AM
What a gorgeous game. The graphics are just beautiful, you find yourself just sitting back and checking out every corner and having to remind yourself oh yeah I better get busy and play the game. The story is a nice take on Red Riding Hood, with menacing wolves galore. Another nice change of pace is having fragmented hidden object scenes, which again are beautifully made. Most of our inventory are hidden objects found along the way of our new adventure. By the way there are morphing objects that enhances the hint button. This is a great addition to to an already well received series. Considering that this is the fourth in the series Kudos to Blue Tea for their ingenuity in giving us games that continue to impress.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Sep 20, 12 3:49 AM
Okay, there's no escaping it, these games all have a similar game mechanic, however…

It would be hard to ignore how truly beautiful this game is to look at, or how much thought went into the presentation. This is, as the other Dark Parables, a FROPA, but I'm willing to say the game play does not feel entirely stale at all. The fragments require a bit more searching in the FROG scenes. Inventory items you pick up along the way are cleverly hidden. So far the puzzles have followed a similar theme, but are tied to the story and rather cleverly presented. I was in the middle of one when the demo ended, and so unlike me of late, I hit buy and returned to play for another hour.

Given the late hour, I will try to remember some of the game stats…
• 3 modes of play -- hardest has no map, no hints, no skips, no sparkles.
• Morphing objects -- they are impossible to find IMHO, I came across one by accident. They increase the hint refill.
• Parable pieces -- find them all to unlock the Red Riding Hood story. These are not as difficult to find.
• 10 chapters plus a bonus story -- "The Boy Who Cried Wolf". This is an entirely separate story from the core game.
• Bonus puzzles available when you complete all game play.
• The usual assortment of wallpaper, concept art, music, replay cut scenes.
• Voice overs
• Wide screen

The game would be complete as an SE if you don't care about the bonuses, but as these casual games go, this one would be a 5 offering for newer players. Somewhat less, perhaps for anyone familiar with the series.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Sep 20, 12 4:12 AM
Dear developers, this is just a PERFECT game! Interesting twist to the Red Riding Hood story, stunning graphics, original minigames and beautiful items to be assembled from the FROG scenes.

I love it!

Bought it without even downloading the demo. I just know your games are top notch!
Keep up the excellent work! I´ve bought your previous CE games, I´ve bought this one, and I´ll buy any next game for sure!

Thanks also to BF for bringing us this fantastic game series!

And to all fishies loving this one like I do: Happy Gaming!

Edited on 09/20/2012 at 4:15:16 AM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Sep 20, 12 7:06 AM
Review after playing Chapter One of the demo:

Absolutely one of the best games I've played and the story line is quite good.

The graphics are simply gorgeous. For once, I left the speakers on and the voices, etc are just about perfect. There were a couple of "jump" scenes where I was startled and not expecting anything to happen. I tried checking the SG but it did not work for me in the demo. The map is helpful although not the "transporter" type. I haven't tried the hint button yet so cannot comment on it. H0 scenes are actually fun! The puzzles were "doable" although it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how one of them was supposed to be done. I'm not sure what the little "pop in" window that says something like "2/4" is but will replay the game from the beginning after I buy it and pay more attention.

I have no idea about the "length" of the game chapter-wise or time-wise, but it really doesn't matter to me...it is a buy due to the wonderful graphics, voices, and story! Thank you devs, and thank you BFG for bringing the game to us!

Edit after finishing the game:
Just a superb game all around! I love the fantasy element and the colors, art work, and voices are wonderful! The bonus chapter is quite good too. I was so wrapped up in the game I forgot to look for morphing objects although I did find a few by accident. I want to go back and read the parables too.

I hardly ever replay a game but I enjoyed this one so much I will replay it!

Thanks again Developers and BGF!!!!

Edited on 09/21/2012 at 7:46:22 PM PST

AZKalona
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by AZKalona on Sep 20, 12 7:39 AM
Thank you so much Big Fish. I love these games and have been waiting and waiting for the sequel. Off to download and play.

Thanks Big Fish for an awesome game.
To all you of you who haven't played the other Dark Parable Games, the bundle deal is a great deal. I own all of them and they are my favorite games.

A big thanks to the entire Big Fish Team. I eagerly await games in this series and each game is better than the one before. I have hope because there is a bonus game of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Keep them coming.

Edited on 09/20/2012 at 8:43:57 AM PST

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Sep 20, 12 7:45 AM
I bought this game right away before even trying the demo (and I never do that) because Blue Tea Games are exceptional.

I am playing in the Hard mode and there are no sparkles, you cannot access the Map and as stated earlier you can't access the SG. I love having the different play options, but it would have been better for me if the black box tips were also disabled during Hard mode.

But I love the graphics, the story is all about girl-power, fun mini-games and just all around beautiful.

Thank you for a wonderful game!!

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Sep 20, 12 7:46 AM
Based on 45 min Demo: Dark Parables 4th in series of fairy tales by Blue Tea. As you've come to expect the graphics are beautiful and like Boomzap you stop and try to absorb it all. This has several cut scenes moving the story along. Caution if you don't like scary wolves - they can be spine chilling. So far it has not out done my favorite the Exiled Prince. Story is based on Little Red Riding Hood raised by woodsman and orphaned girls becoming a sisterhood to fight off a Wolf Queen. Didn't see any occult items or themes . Characters are lovely - except Wolf Queen of course. The bonus play appears to be separate like the Hansel and Gretel story bonus for Rise of Snow Queen. It's called "Boy Who Cried Wolf".

Three modes of play and Widescreen available.
SG not being available for preview.
No interactive/transporter map or at least pictures on map. This was a true disappointment for me as everything else is so well done and it was like you slipped back to the 1970's map in King's Quest. Just squares connected by lines.
FROGS - finding pieces was fairly easy.
There are click penalties but takes a long time before penalty.
Voice overs were good.
Puzzles were good, some unique and not so difficult that you give up. I think directions in a couple could have been better but overall thumbs up.
Morphing items
Story Book of Red Riding Hood Sisters to unlock with each chapter you must find a piece to hear the story. You also can turn off the sound and just read it if you don't like voice overs.
Hint button and skip buttons seemed to fill up fast in Normal Mode

Over all very enjoyable game so far and I can't wait to get into the castle!

Edited on 09/21/2012 at 6:25:37 AM PST

jkberlin
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by jkberlin on Sep 20, 12 8:39 AM
I really can't add much more to the reviews already done. But, this game knocked me out of the chair with the WOW factor. After I picked myself up, I couldn't hit the buy button fast enough after 10 minutes of the demo! I have all the previous ones, liked them all but this one stands out so far.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Sep 20, 12 10:46 AM

Edited on 09/21/2012 at 1:20:48 AM PST

Go to: