bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

Tips and Tricks for Mandragora

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Feb 10, 09 8:39 AM
Protect your trees – Your trees are delicate, and thus need to be protected. Every so often you’ll encounter a thunderstorm or a swarm of insects. When this happens, quickly get your umbrella out to shield your trees, or use the fly swatter to squash the bugs.

Progress to unlock more Mandragora has a good deal of unlockable content for those who get progress deeper into the game. Free Gardening, Tree Designer, and Encyclopedia modes are all up for grabs to those who prove there are up to the story’s challenge.

Remove lesser trees – As your forests start to fill up and you need to make some room for new trees, start by cutting down trees with fewer stars. This way, when you make new breeds of trees, you’ll have better stock to select from.

These are just a few hints to help you out. If you have any other suggestions, post them below.

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

Re:Tips and Tricks for Mandragora

[Post New]by bep1 on Feb 10, 09 7:54 PM
I water the trees whenever I have a free moment, before they get to needing water badly.

Bonnie

APFamily
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by APFamily on Feb 11, 09 8:32 PM
Does anyone have any other tips for being successful with this game? I want to buy it, but I wasn't very good at it. I hope to be able to get through the game and would love more advice.

Thanks!
Maggie

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Feb 11, 09 10:08 PM
Ok, Maggie. I have been through the Fertile Plains, the Azure Lake, the Golden Forest, the Forbidden Mire, and now am in the Shining Peaks. This game is longer than I thought.

It does get a little harder as you go along, but I am managing it and enjoying it. Here are a couple things that may help:

When the plants need watered or even before they do, I hold down the mouse button and quickly zip along all of the trees with the watering can to water them all in one swoop.

And when the bugs come, check quickly and if it is a tree with no filled stars, just let the bugs kill it or hack it down yourself. If it is a tree with several filled stars, kill the bugs quickly, trying to stop them before they get too high on the tree. Protect your best trees.

When it rains and you use your umbrellas, check them in a few seconds, as the umbrellas only last so long and have to be reapplied.

I use all the planting holes if I need them, and when I get a new seed I want to plant, I just hack down the tree with the least stars and plant it there. That gives you more options with more trees planted at one time.

As I said before, after a few levels of Azure Lake, the Garden is opened up so you can have your own gardens, and there you don't have to water your trees at all and can take photos to save of them.After you do the Golden Forest 2 or 3 levels, the tree designer is opened up for you. You can make your own trees, choosing the shape and colors of the trunks, leaves, and blossoms. And the trees you make are added to the encyclopedia.

In later levels, if you cross a tree with certain other trees, there are added benefits like no bugs, or no rain, etc. You can tell which they are by their icons when you pass your mouse over the trees with the tweezers.

You usually only need one of each of the seeds that are provided, but there are exceptions to the rule. Once you have one of each planted, you usually can use those for your crossbreeding. When there are a lot of different seeds provided in a level, I try to remember which ones I tried so far so I can use the others later. And as you know, you crossbreed with the trees that have the most stars when you mouse over them with the tweezers.

I am not a great game player. I mean, a lot of people are better at hard games than I am, but I do not think this game is extremely hard and do not regret buying it.
But I am not at the end yet. I don't know how hard it will get.

Bonnie

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 5:13:50 AM PST

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Feb 12, 09 6:57 PM
Just wanted to say I finished the game! It did get harder as you go along, but I enjoyed it. There are 7 sections to the game. After Shining Peaks there are the Rocky Steppes and the Emerald Woods.

Now I will go back and invent trees and make gardens.
It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

By the way, as they said here, Plant Tycoon is a great game, also, maybe better because it has more content, and I keep going back to it to play it, as I have never been able to finish it, can't find all of the magic plants, only 2 or 3. Has anyone ever found them all?

Bonnie

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 7:27:12 PM PST

APFamily
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by APFamily on Feb 15, 09 2:05 PM
Thank you so much for your tips and explanations! I don't get notification of new posts, so I sometimes miss them.

I have finished the game now, too, and I absolutely love it! One of my favorite games ever.

I like Plant Tycoon, but not as much as Mandragora.

Maggie

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Feb 15, 09 7:29 PM
You're welcome.

Mandragora made me think of another game about trees, so I went back and have been playing it lately, too. Money Tree. I am stuck on level 15 of Money Tree.
Ever play that one?

Bonnie

Edited on 02/16/2009 at 5:13:29 AM PST

APFamily
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by APFamily on Feb 21, 09 1:54 AM
I played the demo, but probably didn't get that far, I'm guessing. I enjoyed it, though. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Maggie

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Feb 21, 09 9:30 AM
That's ok. I got past that spot now.

Bonnie

Go to: