bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Tales of Terror: Crimson Dawn

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 22, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Tales of Terror: Crimson Dawn? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Tales of Terror: Crimson Dawn page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Tales of Terror: Crimson Dawn

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 22, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 22, 12 1:11 AM
Played 20 minutes casual

- 3 modes, casual, expert, professional
- Live characters
- Note book
- Good graphics
- You interact in HO, easy, not many items to find
- Easy mini games
- Hint is always full in casual mode or it refills so quickly that I didn't notice
- Skip button, as quick as the hint one

Had a strange feeling of deja vu while playing the demo, I'm sure I have already seen this game. Brother kidnapped by hooded men, will you rescue him ??? Checked All Game Forums but don't see a CE, I only play and buy my games here, this puzzles me !

Game well worth a punch card credit.

ETA : some kind fishies showed me my ancient posts !!! No wonder it looked familiar, I beta tested the game in April, forgot all about it till now

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 2:31:35 AM PST

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Sep 22, 12 1:22 AM

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 1:37:32 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 22, 12 1:37 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen, but the play area is just full screen, with patterned boards on either side.

There is voice-over.

The characters are real people.

The MENU button and your DIARY are at the left. There is no map.

The HINT button, in form of a mirror, is at the right. It refill super fast in Easy mode.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes only about 40 seconds to fill in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

This is a pretty much straight-forward iHOG. Very nice graphics, not terribly exciting story/gameplay, but fun and interesting enough for me to go and get it.

--- --- ---

ETA: Poutoule... I beta tested this game 2 days ago. LOL

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 2:44:22 AM PST

shian1
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by shian1 on Sep 22, 12 1:47 AM

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 3:35:25 AM PST

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Sep 22, 12 2:12 AM
The graphics are sharp and clear, the hidden objects scenes are easily done, objects along the way are found, lots of locked areas that needs a lot running back and forth trying to find your needed parts.
Therein is the problem for me. I do not mind the back and forth so much as that you quickly get bored with the scenery, mostly because there is really not much to look at and enjoy. I found myself just going thru the motions and this is no way to enjoy a game. The live actors not really a plus considering there is no real acting. Should have stayed with straight graphics.
Nothing new here and it is not a badly made game but the ubiquitous kidnapping and car crash gives that already mentioned feelings of deja vu.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Sep 22, 12 3:00 AM
Good morning everyone We interrupt this program for a special report. Nancy Knowitall here local authorities have just announced that there are a group of hooded men roaming the neighborhood and authorities warn everyone to take the necessary precautions to protect your family sources also report and authorities believe that at least one or all of your family members could disappear leaving you to be the one that has to rescue them. Keep a watchful eye on your children, parents, grand parents, and any siblings since it has been rumored that these people do like to wander around at the worst of times and usually end up smack dab in the arms of trouble. Here are some suggestions for you so that you can keep your family safe. One lock everyone in the same room together, two leave town altogether and never return or three play this game because it's really cool.

The graphics are really nice on this game some are a little dark but not too bad. The story is pretty good. Music is rather fitting for this type of game lots of background noise such as thunder and those things but that can be turned off. For some reason this game reminds me a lot of Mystic Legacy that was released a few weeks ago don't know why it does but it does.

There are voice overs and real actors although their mouths don't move when they talk or at least it didn't look like it to me so that can be a little funny looking. At first it sorta took away from the game but the more I played the demo the better I liked the game and I went ahead and bought the game.

The puzzles aren't that bad the ones I came across in the demo were fairly easy and they can be skipped. The search scenes are interactive such as using one object to get another. The items aren't that hard to find they are rather big but a couple of them were kinda dark but not too bad.

All in all this is a really nice little game and it has a very creepy appeal to it which I love. Give the demo a try it's worth that. Thank you dev's and Big Fish for another spooktacular game. Have fun everybody.

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 12:38:21 PM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 22, 12 3:03 AM
A nice game from a dev we haven't seen for a while:

-I wonder what the deal is with the title screen being a full widescreen, then the rest of the game featuring the patterned borders? Still, way better than black bars!

-I liked the story, which is cohesive enough to keep your interest,

-I enjoyed the puzzles a lot, but they are on the difficult side. (Even in the blog walkthrough, a couple of videos are presented to see the solutions)

-The HOS are presented nicely, with a little interaction. (and not junky)

-Hints are plentiful, helpful, and quick.

-The mechanics are good, and the game flows smoothly.

-Overall, an effort well-worth buying, and that's what I'm off to do!

(BTW, don't miss the dev sale for the weekend----lots of great games being offered there----Monopoly, anyone?)

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Sep 22, 12 5:06 AM

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 5:51:08 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 22, 12 6:16 AM
Not a bad little game for a Saturday and definitely worth a GCC. Yes we've been there, done that as far as the elements of the game are concerned but I don't mind the repetition of a storyline if the game is interesting enough.

This will keep me occupied for a few hours so it's a buy for me

P.S. Don't you just love gmac's reviews

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 22, 12 6:39 AM
I have now finished the game - it wasn't terribly long, which I prefer.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

In the mirror world, you will find a different type of HOS and mini games. I enjoyed those the most.

Although the HOS are frequent, they have clear and clean graphics, and objects are easy enough to find. And apart from the beginning of the game, the HOS are no longer interactive.

BTW, some peeps said that the mouth of the characters don't move when they speak. The mouth did move. It was all a little amateurish, I thought, but the mouth did move when they spoke.

Regarding voice-over: Only when someone speaks directly to you, will you get voice-over. Any other time there are just the sub-titles.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 22, 12 8:00 AM
Spoiler Alerts Included so highlight to read where you can see missing words if you want to know.

Like Cbtx I found it strange seeing the title screen in widescreen and then the game playing with patterned borders but once I got into the story I didn't notice them at all and, like him, I enjoyed the puzzles too especially the pipes (one of my favourites) and honeycomb ones .

For those who don't like doing anything the slightest bit occult, you do have to use a ritual symbol twice, once involving candles and I know you would rather be forewarned and not suddenly come across it when you are in the middle of playing. In this game it was just the portal for travelling from one world to another, nothing more so hopefully you should be OK with it.

The majority of items in the hidden object scenes were easy to find but there was an odd one or two on dark backgrounds that I had trouble with. I really liked the ones in the mirror world as they made a nice change . I normally make notes of what needs to be found for where but most of the time I remembered today but when I had an attack of CRS the good hint button showed me which direction I should be head in. It also filled quite quickly in Expert mode .

I didn't think there were any more voices after the beginning and so I switched my speakers off. I did notice the mouth moving when the brother was speaking at the end though but never thought to switch them back on .

All in all this was quite an enjoyable game and I am glad that I bought it .

Cherb

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Sep 22, 12 8:43 AM
Nice game, great graphics for a SE, I like the creepy story line and the shadowy scenes, it complements each other nicely.

While the character I have seen so far is life looking it doesn't take away from the weird feeling and look of the game.

I can not wait and see what is the whole thing with the bat, I have not gone far enough to see if is a main part of the story or not.

Nice, game and a keeper.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Sep 22, 12 9:46 AM
You know, That was fun. Just plain fun. Not too long, not too complicated, definately not too short. Nice game for a ikky weather morning. Especially using a coupon.
Some of these games , and us, takes themselves really too seriously, you know? This one had the right amount of gorgous graphics ( how do the artists do that), decent music, good story line too keep most of us happy.
It seems the artistry in these games just gets cranked up and up..must be tough to keep the pace. The mini games were slightly different..loved going into another whole backward world..especially since I hadn't gotton too too lost in the "real" one this time. You knew where you had to go, just backward..whew.

Got a weird question for the other fishies(and dev) in here..when you where young..laying on your back in bed..did you ever look how different your house would be if everything were suddenly upside down? Having to walk over the top of door, slide down the ceiling of a stairwell? Etc. Etc. Can you imagine a game set up like that..Wow.

Anyway, good game, good time
kris

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 22, 12 10:53 AM
Not much of a storyline, couldn't really get into it and nothing really made any sense. HOG's were ok and puzzles so so.. Not really a game I would buy but might get it with my free game. Reminded me of something I played a couple of years ago.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 22, 12 2:14 PM

Edited on 09/23/2012 at 1:15:50 PM PST

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Sep 22, 12 2:39 PM
I used a coupon to get the game and it was an okay sort of game. Mostly enjoyable but I didn't have voice over except in the very beginning. I went through the entire game and then uninstalled it and reinstalled. I created a new user and still no voice overs. A bit disappointing when others have said they have voice overs at some point. I too, had the widescreen only on the title screen and the others were all small with the side bars, which didn't bother me too much.

For a SE game, it was enjoyable but I really wish the devs would make sure their products work as they should before sending them to market. Since I used a credit, it was okay. Aside from the glitches, it was a fun game. An okay way to start off a Saturday morning.

All in all, the story was interesting and the graphics were good. Not a bad game but certainly not the quality that many of us have come to expect.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 22, 12 4:19 PM

I have only played the demo, thus far, but I really like it and I'm going to buy it right now!

I won't repeat the game features that have already been described but I want to mention that this is very Tim Burton-like with a dash of humor. It would be perfect for Halloween . Really nice artwork, decent voices and appropriate music. Not wide screen but I really didn't mind that in this game.

manitoban
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by manitoban on Sep 22, 12 5:00 PM
I recomend this game, even though others find it an all too familiar story. The graphics are very nice, not too many HOGs, and the puzzles are varied and frequent. It is a bit dark in some of the HOG scenes, which makes it hard to find objects, but I like playing the game very much. However, on playing the demo, i was a bit annoyed to be cut off with 9 mins to spare. Does that mean, I wonder, I am going to finish the game fast?

Go to: