bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Dreams from the Past

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 26, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dreams from the Past ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dreams from the Past page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dreams from the Past

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 26, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 26, 12 12:43 AM

Played 15 minutes.

- No game play options
- Straight H0G
- Spot the difference mini games in between H0
- Very good graphics

Good idea of a story to start the game, ancient past asking help in present times. This game will certainly please a lot of people but just not my cup of tea and I hate STD, so exited right after the first one

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Sep 26, 12 12:49 AM
Almost a pure HOG. Not badly made if you look at the graphics. But furthermore it's tedious, the game doesn't grab me anywhere. Not with the story, not with the atmosphere and certainly not with the frequent HOG scenes. In every one of them clearly the same set of objects is used. Also the inventory bar cannot be pinned, in spite of the little padlock on the right. The bar just disappears again after the next HOG scene. On top of all this the first minigame appeared to be a Spot The Differences! Oh boy.

Nope, this isn't it. To boring to even finish the trial.

Edited on 09/26/2012 at 12:50:18 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 26, 12 1:03 AM
Morning all...

I only played for a short while, and then left the game, never to return.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. I would strongly recommend the custom cursor, because the system cursor does not change when you go over important things.

That's it. No voice-over, no widescreen, no TUTORIAL !! and no different types of gameplay modes. The only sparkles I saw were when a HOS appeared.

It looks as if there is a diary at the left, but it's not doing anything. So perhaps that is part of the Menu button?

The HINT at the right only works in the HOS (hidden object scenes), not outside of them.
And... wait for it... if you enter a HOS, the HINT first has to refill again before you can use it, even if it was already filled before then.

Also, you can lock the Inventory list so it stays open. However, after having been in a HOS, and came out again, the lock was once again open and the Inventory moved down below the scene. So I had to relock it again.

This is pretty much a straight-forward and very simple HOG. I rather like the graphics in the HOS, but has anyone else noticed that the objects in them are always the same? Even that frog was in the same position in a later HOS as it had been before.

So as I said, a very simple and obviously basic game. If it had a timer, I wouldn't have been surprised, because the feel of the game is very old-fashioned.

Oh well... ERS-day tomorrow !!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 26, 12 1:44 AM
I'll take the easy way out and just say that Valdy has given us all the points needed to know about this lackluster effort.

I can add that the music is irritating in that it will just stop like an old phonograph record that had the needle jump off the turntable----then after quite a long pause the same track would begin again.

You know, when you think about all the nice games being released these days (yesterday's, for example), and then trial one like this, its shortcomings are blatantly obvious. Maybe this is a new dev, I can't be sure, but whatever, back to the drawing board. And to the "uninstall" trash can button for me.

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on Sep 26, 12 1:52 AM
I just finished the trial version - took me 27 minutes, and I did all the HOs. The graphics are too simplistic, the objects where you need to add things close almost faster than you can open your inventory. Very irritating that there are no hints outside the HOs. No buy for me, either.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Sep 26, 12 3:50 AM
Wow.....what a bad, bad game. It starts off with this long drawn out dream sequence which when it is finally over they decide to make you endure even more. There is no tutorial, no voice overs nothing once you begin the game. You start at a river which kept telling you it looks deep or something like that. Finally when you hit the correct item, the game will begin. You pretty much have to just search out what to do, then once you find it you have brought about the HO scene. For those who do not like HO scenes one after another, this is not your game.
The best part is the trial is all of 30 minutes. Honestly, I was thankful. I really wanted to quit and luckily the game ended for me. I really don't see many falling head over heels for this game but hey if you do have fun.

Edited on 09/26/2012 at 3:57:54 AM PST

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Sep 26, 12 4:04 AM
Another issue I had was that it was too dark and too far away. Like the "something" on the column that you needed the ladder for. ???

HoHum is right. Just passing time until Thursday's release.

Joy

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Sep 26, 12 4:38 AM
Valdy and Casual Gran hit it right on the head! A 20 min. demo? I was hoping maybe it would pick up a bit but all this tells me is the game must be extremely short!

To the DEVs: You may want to think about putting labels on whats in the inventory so you know what you have? Would a normal person realise that the missing necklace bead was the number 9? It was all I had so I used it but.....

Valdy I thought the same thing about the objects in the HOS I think the Devs have a thing for Horse Brushes

Edited on 09/26/2012 at 4:41:15 AM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 26, 12 4:44 AM
I have a question for the developers - just how old is this game, exactly please?

No voiceover;
Hint only works in the H0S;
No map;
No journal;
No tutorial;
Non-H0S scenes do not close after an item is found. You are left to click around to see if anything else might be 'useful';
Horrible music (not even a soundtrack) that repeats endlessly;
Absolutely no guidance whatsoever;
No choice of difficulty level.

I really tried to fight my way through this, but this game is so awful (see above) and jam packed with so many H0S (sometimes as many as three on the screen at the same time - something I've never seen before) that it makes your eyes glaze over.

The items you find are then further used as "fan out" type H0S to put together or repair equipment; again, mostly in the same scene.

The final straw for me came when she dreamed of the man who was standing by the dock at night. It was another H0S. I accidentally clicked out of it and it disappeared completely. Since you usually get something essential at the end of a hidden object scene I knew I couldn't go on without starting the whole game again. By this point I was already 17 H0S in and the story (if you can call it that) had not even started properly yet.

I don't recommend this at all. It's tedious, boring, frustrating and no fun whatsoever.

ETA: Oh yes, I did wonder about all the horse brushes too!

Edited on 09/26/2012 at 4:52:55 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Sep 26, 12 5:55 AM
I think this wants to be a frag or a frog as some people call it, with hidden object scenes. But the circles do not stay open so that you can see what you are searching for. I played the demo in less than a half hour. They asked for the same objects in one scene after the other and they had the nerve to throw in a STD, have we not made it perfectly clear to developers that we really dislike those things? I left the sound on because the music was not annoying. The tiger did not look like a tiger, but more like a bear. The hint only works in the hidden object scenes, so you have no idea what to do next. I suppose for some that would be okay. The movements are slow and sluggish and you don’t get to move from room to room, which is now my criteria and I will accept no less. What I mean by that is that I cannot go back to a previous scene even though I am done with everything in it. I like to explore and I don’t like to be prevented from moving around as much as I like. Bottom line, this is a no buy for me. It was the STD that did it. I’m sure there will be more. After playing some of the high quality puzzle, adventure, hidden object truly FUN games that are out there, this one kind of falls short of the mark.

boogweez
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,280 Posts

[Post New]by boogweez on Sep 26, 12 6:17 AM
Enough said. The music is very annoying,HOS one after another. Very "old" type of game compared to what is being put out there today. Didn't last but 10 min. before going for the delete key.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 26, 12 6:55 AM
Looks like a first effort for the developer. Would have been great 5 years ago, just a straight hog now. I deleted it never to be seen again. Come on BF you're better than this I hope.

eigus
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by eigus on Sep 26, 12 7:52 AM
this game is terrible sorry i bought it the hints do not help other then in the hog scene boy i am very bored

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Sep 26, 12 7:55 AM
The graphics are too dark and some items in the HO scenes are invisible. SLOOOOOOWWW refilling hint system.... Oh well....this is a definite no go for me...I only played for 10 minutes.....

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Sep 26, 12 8:07 AM
I will have to say "ditto" to the negative posts above. I just did not like this game. Couldn't click past the cut scene pictures...story not understandable during demo...H0 scenes clear enough but with items to find hidden almost entirely behind something else isn't good. The circles to fill when trying to add items just wouldn't stay open so I had to keep going back the inventory and picking up the item again to retry to get it into the circle. I didn't like the inventory and list bars popping up and over each other all the time. Sometimes in a story you can get a "feel" of where to go next, etc - but not this one...stuck in each scene til the game allows one to move along. The puzzles weren't difficult...or new. In the STD with the horse, I clicked on two things that were different but the game didn't recognize it until I clicked "hint" which took me directly to the same item...

Overall, I'll pass on this one.

Sheila155
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Sheila155 on Sep 26, 12 8:27 AM
I agree with most of what has been said previously. I stayed with it till the end of the demo, which took only 25 mins, and that was me not pushing myself at all! I replayed to see if hos changed at all, but they were the same as first time around, therefore there is very little replay value to the game. Btw, I still have 17 mins left to play after completing demo twice!
Almost straight hog interspersed with a few basic, simplistic puzzles. Nothing there to encourage me to want to try some more.
There were no difficulty options, which nowadays I feel is poor, although on a straight hog like this it might be difficult to do.
Totally lacking any real adventure element, which is what I look for in a game.
I thought the music was ok, until I had been playing about 10 mins, then it just started to annoy!
The storyline looked ok, but I got a bit bored with the comic strip 'action'. I really didn't like the screen panning within these scenes. Made me feel a bit woozy, as did the continually opening and closing inventory panel and rings for objects to go in.
All in all, not a great game, but not the worst I have come across in recent months. I will not be buying, but for someone new to the genre it might be worth a look.

DELLS148
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by DELLS148 on Sep 26, 12 8:51 AM
[b]Well 2 for 2' yesterday's game wouldn't load and this game I got stuck as soon as i crossed the over the water, come on Big fish two losers back to back and we only have 4 day's get our punch card done or we will lose all we have.

handyfr
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by handyfr on Sep 26, 12 9:33 AM
I agree with absolutely everything that has been posted. This game is so beneath BF. Rates up there with one of the worst or maybe the worst that BF has ever posted. Can't believe that reviews from "beta" tests were good enough for BF to post it...makes me think it was never tested on BF gamers. Shame on BF for for passing this one along.

Go to: