bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 27, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 27, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 27, 12 12:43 AM
Thx Baikal... Onto the game! It's awesome, the best of the series so far. The graphics and game play are excellent - varied HOS, no black bar 'tips' on hardest mode (thank you for that devs!). The humor permeates the game without dumbing it down in the least. I have found this one to be a rocking good time, good, solid game, and the fun and funny factor are outstanding without messing up a quite entertaining story. Game of the year? Maybe not... but it should definitely be in the running. It is thoroughly enjoyable. Game length: it seems to totally depend on the player. I haven't played straight through, nor am I a very fast player, and it doesn't seem overly short to me. I have not played the bonus chapter yet so can't comment on that. Thank you ERS! It's games like this that keep you ranked as one of my favorite developers. Yay!!

Edited on 09/28/2012 at 12:59:35 AM PST

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Sep 27, 12 12:49 AM
They had me at the name. I played 10 minutes or so then quit to buy. I'm a big fan of ERS, and a big fan of the Haunted Halls series. This one is great so far! Love the interface, love the graphic style, love the varied IHOGs. So far have played two mini-games that are different. What can I say If you like the first two you have to get this one.

I'll let super reviewers like Valdy give the details, just suffice it that this one lives up to the series!

Celticcoco

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Sep 27, 12 1:01 AM
I also hear that there is some tongue-in-cheek humour that adds to the overall story and is well-worth taking the time to read rather than skip over.
Thanks ERS for this added fun.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Sep 27, 12 1:03 AM
After playing 45 minutes on advanced:

There are 3 modes of play. Easy, advanced and hard. In advanced and hard there is a misclick penalty in HOG scenes and in hard there are no text tips. Even in advanced there is an annoying tutorial that can not be skipped that shows up now and then.

Played 2 HOG scenes. First one was a silhouette where you find one objects which is used to find another and that is used to find another and so on. The second was silhouette as well but no interaction.

Mini games so far are very easy.
There are voice overs. Dr. Blackmore sounds good but Tim sounds ridiculous.

The strategy guide only showed the first two chapters. There was about 10 pages for each chapter. The SG stays where you left it.

There is no map but I don't think it will be necessary. You are looking for each person and they are each in their own little section.

Loving the little animal characters. I have no idea why they are there but they are cute.

Extras include wallpapers and screen savers which seemed to be available in the demo.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 27, 12 1:06 AM
Played nearly 40 minutes of the game, casual

- ERS
- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hard (time penalty in hard for a misclick)
- Integrated SG, only shows 2 chapters
- Voice overs
- Electronic notebook
- Portable laboratory
- Hint, only tells you there's nothing to do outside H0
- H0, very interesting, silhouettes, you have to complete the objects for some of them and then use them to get others, very interactive
- Skip button
- Mini games not too difficult up to now
- Very good graphics

You have quite a lot of people (in different locations of the globe) to rescue from the tentacles of so bad Dr Blackmore. Of course I can't miss buying this third edition !!! And I so loved the idea of a motorcycle Club named "Dark Cherubs" !!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 27, 12 1:15 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a Widescreen option.

Music, Sound, and Voice are separated.

The SG (strategy guide), which is at the left, only shows the first 2 chapters.

Your NOTES are also at the left. In here you can find entries and medical charts of the people you have to save.

Also at the left is your portable LAB in form of a suitcase. You can mix different things, which will help you on your way.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) that I have encountered so far are all in form of silhouettes. You need to use items you find in the scene to get other items.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the iHOS, is at the right and, as usual, takes a little too long to refill - even in Casual mode.

Puzzles, which are once again easier than they used to be (thank you, ERS), can be skipped. The SKIP button also takes far too long to fill.

--- --- ---

This is another typical ERS game: beautiful graphics, good voice-over, interesting and fun gameplay, and it's a buy for me.

--- --- ---

If you haven't already got the previous "Haunted Halls" games, take advantage of the sale that is on until this Sunday.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 27, 12 2:19 AM
This game, another in a series, typifies ERS' continuing slide into mediocrity. The quality of their games has been slipping for some time now----beginning with "Redemption Cemetery-Grave Testimony", the "Dark Alleys" game, and, more recently, "Gothic Fiction". Here's why:

-amazingly, the graphics are sub-par----not up to the usual high standard of ERS games at all. Colors are dull, and the scenes are not clean and crisp as you can usually count on with ERS.
-the story is absolutely dreadful! Dr. Blackmore is back for revenge----no explanation of how the main characters got there, nothing, just begin playing. There are many things to do, if you can figure out what the writers have in mind----beyond that, it's just all over the place. But the worst part is that the story is so convoluted that the game is simply not fun to play, just a tiresome chore.
-ERS appears to think their new style HOS of finding things in sequence is truly remarkable, but I don't agree. I think they're boring and they trivialize the point of HOS in general. I got tired of this style very quickly.
-some like it, but I'm sorry to see the puzzles getting too easy.
-and, of course, no working widescreen. (ERS now distinguishes itself as the ONLY major dev to not take care of this )

There are the typical assortment of extras in the CE that you always find, including a musical soundtrack----which I don't understand since ERS uses virtually the same music in all their games and has since the Puppetshow series. Maybe I just don't recognize truly great music when I hear it.

So, once more, ERS has cranked out another cliche-ridden, stamp it out as fast as possible, unoriginal game that I'm sure they honestly believe is CE worthy----but I'll leave it to what the character Tim says, both in the trailer and in the game itself----

"I'm so sorry for dragging you into this mess. I keep wanting it all to end. But somehow it just starts all over again"

That says it all, and I agree with poor Tim.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Sep 27, 12 2:49 AM
Good morning everyone Breaking news Nancy Knowitall here. For the third time the ever elusive Dr. Blackmore is on the rampage again and sources tell us that he is a walking nightmare with all of his crazy contraptions and diabolical traps and will stop at nothing to get what he wants. His parents have refused any interviews but his mother did have this to say," he was always such a good boy." I was able to do a little research on the good doctor and apparently his parents aren't really his parents so with a little digging around I thought maybe I could find out who his real parents are and after a long search I'm sorry to say that I was unable to find out that information but in my research the names of Dr. Jekyll and Medusa kept popping up is it possible that they could be his parents, well I'm no expert but judging by the good doctors looks I think it's possible. Once again it seems that the good doctor has Tim firmly in his grip and once again Tim's girlfriend is on a mission to save her man. We will be here on the scene until this is over will Tim's girlfriend be able to save her beloved so they can live happily ever after or will they both fall victim to the good doctor and is Dr. Jekyll and Medusa really Blackmore's parents well I'm not sure about that but if you want to find out if Tim is saved you have to play this awesome and insane game.

Well what can I say it's ERS only my favorite developer and yes they have once again delivered a masterpiece. The graphics are awesome as all of theirs are, the music definitely fits the game and the colors are bold and rich in texture.

This time around you have a portable lab that allows you to cook up some goodies of your own that will help you throughout the game. The puzzles I came across were good and I was able to complete them without having to skip them so they are doable which is good because I'm not that big on puzzles but these are really cool.

The search scenes are interactive and some will give you a useful item that will go in your inventory. There seems to be a lot going on with this game and some of it is really humorous I have laughed a couple of times with some of the stuff that is going on it's just too cool.

I have purchased the game and what I have played I have loved and I'm just getting started so this appears to be a lengthy game with lots to do. Give the demo a try it's worth it. Thank you ERS and Big Fish for another dose of Dr. Blackmore. Have fun everybody.

Edited on 09/27/2012 at 3:05:27 AM PST

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Sep 27, 12 3:44 AM
gmac1007 wrote:I was able to do a little research on the good doctor and apparently his parents aren't really his parents so with a little digging around I thought maybe I could find out who his real parents are and after a long search I'm sorry to say that I was unable to find out that information but in my research the names of Dr. Jekyll and Medusa kept popping up is it possible that they could be his parents, well I'm no expert but judging by the good doctors looks I think it's possible.

Your reviews are almost more entertaining than the games

This one is fabulous - ERS just keeps delivering high quality games with interesting stories, a variety of HOG scenes and puzzles.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Sep 27, 12 4:23 AM
just to say:not,the music is not always the same!!!!the tchernobyl case has its own music:the URSS hymn in background(and as the whole location is in a ruined town,perhaps some humor is here!)!and each case has its own!
there is many kinds of ho scenes,which break the routine;and it fills my 23"" screen as every of the ERS games has done with as well with my old computer(retired,now) as with the new one(1 month old!)
there is no map but no need,each person to recue is in one differen tplace and with few locations in each
a lot of things to do,good story,well done
i was afraid that the lovely cat must stay in its rolling cage,but,thanks,dev!you give it freedom at last!

Edited on 09/27/2012 at 4:26:09 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Sep 27, 12 4:45 AM
cbtx wrote:This game, another in a series, typifies ERS' continuing slide into mediocrity. The quality of their games has been slipping for some time now----beginning with "Redemption Cemetery-Grave Testimony", the "Dark Alleys" game, and, more recently, "Gothic Fiction". Here's why:

-amazingly, the graphics are sub-par----not up to the usual high standard of ERS games at all. Colors are dull, and the scenes are not clean and crisp as you can usually count on with ERS.
-the story is absolutely dreadful! Dr. Blackmore is back for revenge----no explanation of how the main characters got there, nothing, just begin playing. There are many things to do, if you can figure out what the writers have in mind----beyond that, it's just all over the place. But the worst part is that the story is so convoluted that the game is simply not fun to play, just a tiresome chore.
-ERS appears to think their new style HOS of finding things in sequence is truly remarkable, but I don't agree. I think they're boring and they trivialize the point of HOS in general. I got tired of this style very quickly.
-some like it, but I'm sorry to see the puzzles getting too easy.
-and, of course, no working widescreen. (ERS now distinguishes itself as the ONLY major dev to not take care of this )

There are the typical assortment of extras in the CE that you always find, including a musical soundtrack----which I don't understand since ERS uses virtually the same music in all their games and has since the Puppetshow series. Maybe I just don't recognize truly great music when I hear it.

So, once more, ERS has cranked out another cliche-ridden, stamp it out as fast as possible, unoriginal game that I'm sure they honestly believe is CE worthy----but I'll leave it to what the character Tim says, both in the trailer and in the game itself----

"I'm so sorry for dragging you into this mess. I keep wanting it all to end. But somehow it just starts all over again"

That says it all, and I agree with poor Tim.

I don't agree with you. This game is great and funny too. The puzzles and HOS are different. The HOS change everytime. So boring is't not. And it's not the same as the other games.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Sep 27, 12 6:31 AM
I won't buy this game - and not because it's bad! On the contrary, it's very good!

The plot is intriguing, the puzzles are quite hard, but with a lot of help; there is honest spread of the Adventure mode and the number of the HOS - we get even Fragmented HOS!!!

The obstacle is - help out of the HOS, in form of MAP or NAVIGATION ARROWS. At least in the Casual Mode.
One of them will do the perfect completion of a high quality game, as it is!

My Adventure ability is quite low, and after playing a while, I am stuck - really, how can I guess that "x" will eat the spiders??? I can walk from NY to Alaska and not guess it! It's a continuous frustration, and better to give up the "torture"...

Happy gaming!

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Sep 27, 12 6:41 AM
I loved cbtx's review. I played the trial on hard and was surprised to still get some tutorial. I liked the puzzles. Not too extreme. Lot of logic needed. When I was stuck I tried everything in my inventory. Surprisenly, that worked. I get very tired of the colors. I wish they were more real. I rarely buy CE's. I did get the Margrave one. Glad I did. Not blown away by this one. I'll wait for the SE.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Sep 27, 12 6:53 AM

Edited on 09/28/2012 at 3:29:13 AM PST

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Sep 27, 12 7:18 AM

Edited on 09/28/2012 at 3:32:12 AM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Sep 27, 12 7:59 AM
I enjoyed the game. Graphics were a bit dark and drab, but not so dark you had to use a dozen hints to find things. I loved the new mini-games....very nice to see something different. I have the other two in the series so I will most likely purchase this one but as an SE since I don't usually by the CE as I don't usually use the "extras"....

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Sep 27, 12 9:32 AM
Wide screen as always with ERS both on WS laptop and WS desktop
Standard music with separate controls for all sounds
Clear graphics
Concise story line gets right to the point
Nice variations of actions. No doing the same thing over and over.
None of the doors have been key locked! (Does anyone else ever get tired of looking for keys? )
Light humor
3 challenge levels

Although I do find the puzzles to be on the easy side they are imaginative and the H0S more than make up for the lack of challenge. The tale continues with a 5 stories in one concept which I enjoy since it keeps the environment from getting boring. It took me the demo to get through the first story so assuming each story is comparable the length should be good. I have enjoyed this series and this installment has not let me down.
It's a buy for me.

As always Try before you Buy!
Happy Gaming

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Sep 27, 12 9:34 AM
cbtx wrote:This game, another in a series, typifies ERS' continuing slide into mediocrity.

I don’t agree with cbtx's comment. IMHO, there are only a handful of devs who consistently provide the quality games that ERS gives us. When I know it is an ERS game, I buy immediately and have never been disappointed. The games they produce are always a joy: I love playing them and look forward to the hours of entertainment they provide me. It is great that the ERS team is very creative and can produce quality games every few months, since it seems like I am always looking for their next offering.

As a note to the musical score, although it is pretty much the same in all ERS games, I believe it is part of their “branding” and helps to identify their games.

With this new Haunted Halls, there is a whole lot to enjoy and, of course, I bought it before the demo. I enjoy the interaction with the “critters” I’ve encountered thus far in my journey. The story is interesting and we have lots of places and times to explore. So even though I am just getting started on this game, it looks like I have hours of fun ahead. Alas, I get to rescue poor Tim again. Just hope if we ever get married he stays out of trouble. LOL

I am loving this game and hope that you enjoy it as much as me.

Thanks BFG for bringing us this great game!

Go to: