bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Awakening: The Skyward Castle

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 28, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Awakening: The Skyward Castle ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Awakening: The Skyward Castle page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Awakening: The Skyward Castle

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 28, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 28, 12 12:56 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

The game comes in widescreen.

There are Achievements.

Your Pocket Dragon, your Journal (which also has a Goals tab), and the Main Menu button are at the left.

There is a Question Mark, which is also at the left. Click on it, and it will show you your goals. If you are stuck, you can click on the open Question Mark tab, and it will tell you what to do next.

Your HINT Owl is at the right.

Next to the HINT is your MAP. You can use it to jump to different areas after you have visited them first.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are fun. Graphics are nice and clear, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT, which also works outside of the iHOS, refills within 12 seconds in Easy mode.

Puzzles have not been as difficult as they have been in previous Boomzap games. Yayyy...
The SKIP button only takes about 40 seconds to fill in Easy mode.

Quite often, there is a few-seconds delay between scene change, where the screen is just black.

Comment from the CE version, which I bought:

The main game took me 6.45 hours to play. The bonus game took me just under an hour, but would have taken much longer if I hadn't skipped all those puzzles - am not too interested in one puzzle after another when I play a HOG.

I very much liked the game on the whole. What I didn't like so much was that:

a) there were not enough HOS (the ones in this game were really nicely done).

b) there were way too many puzzles.

c) I got fed up having to do puzzles with those rune signs over and over.

d) it was quite an unsatisfying ending to the bonus game.

SPOILER ALERT

Even though there will obviously be another "Awakening" out, I would have preferred it if the story in the bonus game had come to a more "final" ending that would finish the story so far, and not leave us with a cliff-hanger, as they used to do in cinemas:

"Join us next week, when we will find out what happens next. Will Batman's days be doomed or will he escape from the death trap! Join us and find out!"

This was that kind of ending. *sigh*

Edited on 09/28/2012 at 5:04:02 PM PST

[Post New]by BearCreekStables on Sep 28, 12 8:20 AM

Edited on 09/28/2012 at 5:06:52 PM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Sep 28, 12 11:09 AM
I'm still playing this game. I'm on the last chapter. I have purchased all the Awakening games and this one is not as good as the others in my opinion. As Valdy said, too many puzzles and I have skipped more than I've done. Some have insufficient directions and I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to you and others are just dumb. Yes, there really are too many of them and they are not fun puzzles. Most of them are repetitious puzzles...like colored circles that need to be lined up by turning the circles... we all know how to do them but they take FOREVER.

The HOS are very good, and that's coming from someone who doesn't care for HOS's much anymore. But when they are varied and different, they are OK with me.

What's good about the game is the length... very long. I started playing the day it came out and I'm still plugging along. Of course I don't get to play every night and when I do it's for a short time. I babysit 2 yr old granddaughter all day so when I finally get on my computer and catch up on correspondence, etc..... almost time for bed. So.... I can't tell you about the extra play.

The adventure part of the game is pretty good. I can figure out most of what to do and the graphics are great. What I like best is the built in SG which stays where you leave off... and the hints recharge very fast. I have no patience at all, so I like a fast charging hint button. I also like the fact that there are so many different scenes to explore. Glad there is a good map.

I did notice a problem once and had to go on the forum to solve it. The SG and the hints tell you to visit a place and it isn't on the map and no one could find it. If this happens to you visit the CE forum and find the help thread for it. Several others had the same problem. You can get it to show but you have to do something special. I think it's a game glitch. It may be fixed by now.

Enjoy.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 28, 12 11:34 AM
*SE players may feel that they know where the plot would be going in the CE version as there is a couple of loose ends but don’t worry. The bonus in the CE play did nothing to address it, it was a completely separate storyline# (and also the worst ending I remember in a game). The ending to the SE isn’t 100% tied up and is set up for a sequel even though this is supposed to be the last in the series. * see end for more info.

Excellent game from boomzap, and I think the best in the series. If you are really into plot it’s best to play the series as this isn’t a stand alone game. It does give you some recaps so you aren’t lost re plot if you haven’t played the others.

For those that love a lot of straight HOS this is not your game. I’d class this as a puzzle with adventure with a few varied type of HOS game (in that order). There are not a lot of HOS even the varied type, so this will either please you like me, or you will be disappointed. If you hate puzzles then this game isn’t for you.

There are 3 choice of play settings and you can’t change them once you start and the hardest is hard – no transporter map tips, no instructions to puzzles and no skip on puzzle but you do get a hint button.

I rate this a 5/5 hardness if you play on the hardest setting (3/5 if on middle) The difference in hardness between middle and the hardest setting is HUGE due to the tips on transporter map on middle setting.

What I love about this game is that the transporter map is completely new each chapter. You don’t go back into old areas – each chapter is completely different setting. Also you don’t repeat any HOS. Thank you for both these things, it’s rare and it takes a lot more effort on the part of the DEV to do this.

I give the following numbers so you can see for yourself the ratio to see if it's for you or not.

HIDDEN OBJECTS SCENES (HOS) – 20

8 list, 7 find ‘x’ amount of same item, 3 find ‘pic’ (ie runes) in the scene, 1 find pairs, 1 find silhouette.
There is a random click penalty, they are all (bar one) very highly interactive on all the different types. There are no junk piles, no repeating of HOS. But even though there aren’t many most of them took a long time to do as there were very interactive. They are not sharp due to the type of graphics and some were hard to find due to blendness and a couple of tiny items.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 28, 12 11:35 AM
continued

PUZZLES – (numbers are very roughly as I didn’t have a skip button, it was hard to judge what was a puzzle) – 67 in main game!!

Puzzle lovers you will adore this game. Others don’t be put off as a lot of these are done in way under a minute and a fair few are super easy. What is ingenious as those of us who love a bit more of a challenge gets it by trying to work out what the puzzle is (if play on hardest setting). Some puzzles were easy but I thought they were a different type, so that was good. They were some original, a few were repeated and a theme in this game is runes. Boomzap always gives us a lot of puzzles that are far too easy and I wish the majority of them were harder.

CHAPTER BREAKDOWN OF PUZZLES AND HOS

Chapter 1 - HOS 6, puzzles 12
Chapter 2 – HOS 7, puzzles 23
Chapter 3 – HOS 5, puzzles 20
Chapter 4 – HOS 2, puzzles 12

CONS –

-Journal sparkles
-Transporter map could have been clearer and not have names in rune.
-Some puzzles were repeated.
-I did not like the ending in main game this SE version (although it was a LOT better than the ending to the bonus in the CE verison!) The main game was left like the others in the series it did not feel like a tied up conclusion to it. Either this is the end to the series or it’s not!

If interested this is what is in the CE that is not in the SE version in spoilers so click and highlight to read.

BONUS EXTRAS–
**SG
Bonus play
Achievements
All cutscenes in game (15? + 2 in bonus)
7 wallpaper
6 music (soundtrack to game)
6 concept art
19 nonogram – once you do one the next is unlocked

#Bonus play seemed to be the first chapter in a new series (although this game is supposed to be the conlusion) and it says that in the next game it will be about the loose end that is left at the end of this SE game but in the bonus this wasn't addressed or talked about etc so believe me - you are not missing out on anything!

Main game (SE) took me 7hrs 20 mins on hardest setting (rare hint, twice SG, no skipping, not a fast player. I say this as it makes a huge difference and hopefully will help you so you know how long it may take you.)

I take my time and I’m not a fast player. If you will skip the puzzles, use hints/walkthrough or don’t play on the hardest setting it will be shorter.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 28, 12 11:45 AM
I wasn't kicked out about the CE version and was hoping I would be about the SE (I know, same thing, but was hoping my thoughts had changed over time). Not. I have the other 3 Awakening games and really liked them, but this one just sort of drug along. Grahics were okay, but could have been better after 3 other tries. Music got very annoying very quickly. Game play was a bit choppy in places. HOGs simple, games simple.

This was sitting in my puddle for "maybe later," but it just didn't make me want to buy it even as an SE. It isn't a bad game, just not the usual standard from this dev. This one would be a very nice game for a beginner or even an intermediate player, but not challenging enough for me personally.

As always, try it for yourself and make up your own mind. Thanks for the reviews.

bfgCimarron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,902 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCimarron on Sep 28, 12 2:10 PM
Hi Fishies,

In case you're interested in checking out reviews for the Collector's Edition version for this game for comparison - just swim over to this thread here to check them out:

Reviews for Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition

I hope this helps!

bfgCimarron

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Sep 28, 12 4:03 PM
I did buy this as a CE, but if you waited for the SE you won't be missing much. The main game will come to a conclusion for the SE in the same place as it did for the CE. We are told this is the end af a quadrilogy. It is and it isn't. When you reach the end, some conclusions have been reached, but there are still things to be resolved. The very short bonus play makes it clear your princess will be moving on to new adventures and perhaps coming back to tie up loose ends.

That being said, I am not sorry I bought this game. I love all the Awakening games. Perhaps I should have waited for the SE. If you did, enjoy your bargain.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Sep 29, 12 8:18 AM
I recommend this game. Good design, good story, good graphics, good quality control.

However, some things were annoying. As Valdy noted, "The SKIP button only takes about 40 seconds to fill in Easy mode." That's 40 seconds too long in a game with about 70 puzzles. If you don't like some of the puzzle types, you could be spending more than 45 minutes just sitting waiting for the skip button to recharge. I don't skip puzzles because I can't do them, I skip them because I don't want to do them. I want to do what I think is fun. Waiting on a skip button is not fun, but neither is working a type of puzzle I don't like. COME ON DEVELOPERS. Lose the (curses deleted) skip button.

Also, there are NO instructions for any of these games. After a couple of hidden object scenes with pictures instead of words, you get a scene where you are supposed to put objects into scene, but it has the EXACT same interface and no clue that it is different. In one game I got a different gem in each row and column, but that wasn't good enough. I still don't have a clue what additionally the game wanted me to do. If you are one of those people where the best part of a puzzle is figuring out what you are supposed to be doing, this game is for you. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.

I had really looked forward to meeting Xim again and his quest to find his true love, but this was disappointingly too little. I was initially disappointed that this is the conclusion of the series, but after playing Skyward Castle I decided it is just as well, because the originally is gone and I stopped caring about the characters by the end.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 29, 12 5:35 PM
If u love strategy guide and do buy them, I would not recommend that u play this game with it. Reason: The game is pretty easy to play through and the clever and cute looking owl (which is your guide) does give u lots of hints. In addition u can also click on the question mark on LHS of the scene to get more details on what to do, without incurring hint cost! Hummph....cool right?

Nice graphics, cool characters, cute animals, beautifully painted/design scenes. Slightly challenging HOS, with you having to think of how to get inventory within HO scene then used it to get another hidden item within the hidden scene! Ha,,,,ha,,,just pure fun, for me to describe it that way, so u get ur tongue twisted.

Inventory needs to be found to use on another scene, like most more interesting HOS games. OH.....drool.....the kids are from kids R us, shops, just so cute and lovely and u just wanna adopt them or kiss them! Even older adults such as the small girl's uncle/father was good to look at.

LOVE IT!

capipe
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by capipe on Sep 29, 12 8:50 PM
series is no longer good. mini games are horrible-skipping them and story line is boring. used to like the series but last few are not good. won't buy any more.

[Post New]by gag2316 on Oct 3, 12 6:14 AM

Edited on 10/03/2012 at 6:18:09 AM PST

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Nov 24, 12 7:12 AM
Bought the SE and played to the end, the Bitter End.

Boom Zap are masters in the graphics department, really fabulous.

However, having to do mini game, after mini game, after mini game, completely spoiled it for me. For those who like puzzles, they will love it. For me, it was one big YAWN. The skip button worked overtime.

I hope this really is the last in the series because I surely won't be buying another Awakening with all those wretched puzzles.

BUT, if there is another one with more adventure and more interactive hidden object scenes, I may be tempted because - overall - Boom Zap do such a tremendous job.

Paul4455
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Paul4455 on Dec 9, 12 7:30 PM
I love the game as usual, but it continues on. Although, the hints and help don't last long enough to read. I'm not a speed reader. They appear(Owl) and 3 seconds later it's gone. Just a little frustrating. And too many minigames. I skipped 99% of them. At least the skip is fast.

Paul4455
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Paul4455 on Dec 9, 12 8:08 PM
Paul4455 wrote:I love the game as usual, but it continues on. Although, the hints and help don't last long enough to read. I'm not a speed reader. They appear(Owl) and 3 seconds later it's gone. Just a little frustrating. And too many minigames. I skipped 99% of them. At least the skip is fast.

And The puzzles were NOT easy. Some of you seem to be computer brats that can play anything and call it easy.

As for the end? No it's not. The Parents are alive but comatose. That's another game!

Paul4455
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Paul4455 on Dec 9, 12 8:18 PM
Paul4455 wrote:
Paul4455 wrote:I love the game as usual, but it continues on. Although, the hints and help don't last long enough to read. I'm not a speed reader. They appear(Owl) and 3 seconds later it's gone. Just a little frustrating. And too many minigames. I skipped 99% of them. At least the skip is fast.

And The puzzles were NOT easy. Some of you seem to be computer brats that can play anything and call it easy.

SPOILER ALERT

As for the end? No it's not. The Parents are alive but comatose. That's another game!

Not enough hog scenes just minihahasgames. Nope not like the games of old. I have all in the series so far and who knows how many more times I will Quote myself.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Dec 23, 12 1:54 PM
This was an OK game. I've played all the Awakening games. This seemed long and a little confusing. It jumps around lot. There plenty of HOS and puzzles.It seemed to long.

GAME COMPLETED TWICE

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 22, 13 1:45 AM
GAME COMPLETED TWICE

Beautiful Of Course, But Not A True HOPA

Story: Finally Princess Sophia discovers the refuge of her people and sets off on a winged unicorn to the Skyward Castle to be reunited with her parents. But is she too late? Some horrible evil has left only a handful of survivors, petrified in stone. You must save these people in order to find out what has happened to your family.

Developer: BoomZap
Release Date: Sep 2012
Extras: Pocket Dragon and Ran the Owl, Jump Map

Yes, this latest in the Awakening series is all you could ask for in visuals, music and originality. Something I’ve not mentioned before in my reviews of other games in this series – there is always a large number of original and creative variations of both hidden object games and puzzles. And this is true in particular of Skyward Castle. But the emphasis has finally shifted so far away from common HOs that it’s no longer a game I would recommend to HO fans. This is a puzzle adventure.

It is also very difficult to play. The puzzles and mini-games have become so hard there were some I had to skip simply because I couldn’t understand the instructions. In fact, I skipped more than I completed. That detracts greatly from my enjoyment of the game.

So, while again this is oh so much more than its predecessors, I actually prefer the earlier Awakenings.

Go to: