Spirit of the Wandering...terrible game

[Post New]by debspooner on Feb 10, 09 7:16 PM
I played the trial, I will not be buying this game. Colors are not true. And clues are very obscure

cookeemama
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

Re:Spirit of the Wandering...terrible game

[Post New]by cookeemama on Feb 11, 09 6:57 AM
I agree. I can't get past the 1st screen.
Horrible game!!!!!

FishFran
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by FishFran on Feb 20, 09 10:55 AM
Could have been great by the scenes are filled with very similiar objects and the so called riddle clues read like somebody ran the item description through a software translator. It would be neat if the objects were clued with clever crossward like phrases but intead you get awkward phrases like "device for drinking" or "horse of the ocean". Many of the clues are simply wrong like a "Large blue Hook" for a tiny rusty hook or you get clued for a clay urn when there are a dozen of them strewn about. About 80% of the objects are very easy to find and the rest are so impossible that when I clicked on them, I still didn't know what it was.

KANZA
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by KANZA on Mar 2, 09 12:09 PM
I agree 100% with FishFran. This has got to be the worst game ever. It definitely looks good and interesting but takes so much time on the trial that you run out of time before you can form an opinion. Have to admit I was fooled, thought it was just me that you just had to learn the game so I bought it. Well, I kissed that money goodbye. To add to FishFran; some of the objects aren't even visible until you spend 60 coins for a "hint". Only then does the object appear. Live and learn and I have!

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Aug 15, 09 5:53 AM
I personally found it boring.

TeresaRollen
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,896 Posts

[Post New]by TeresaRollen on Aug 15, 09 5:56 AM
I thought this game was ok until I noticed that it would start sparkling a little on an object if you couldn't find it. I do not like it when games do this. I want to find it on my own.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Aug 15, 09 9:51 AM
I have to agree. Last time I tried the demo I lasted for 22 minutes - this time I lasted even less. I hated the crystal ball thing - moving it around aimlessly waiting for it to burst into flames.

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

[Post New]by mcquigan on Aug 15, 09 11:50 AM
I agree with all; it is a terrible game: vague clues, you have to do is carry that stupid orb around until the flames turn red because they don't give you any info on what you are looking for.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Aug 15, 09 1:55 PM
Thanks for all of the reviews. I always check the forums before I buy, so it helps me make my final decision.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jan 27, 10 8:02 PM
I am so disappointed with this game! The plot was intriguing, so I had high hopes, but it's so repetitive, and even worse, annoying!

Find things by description, such as "Banded wood vessel of liquids".

Find list of items, then use magic magnifying glass to find invisible item. You can't actually SEE the item, it will only show up when your cursor is directly over it (magnifying glass bursts into flames) Have to do this 5 times per scene.

Any game that frustrates the player enough to have an active dislike is not a good game, in my opinion. I will definitely not play this game again.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Jun 7, 10 1:06 AM
One of the Worst Games ever.

[Post New]by briteredlips on Jun 7, 10 2:53 AM
Awful game. Period.

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Jun 7, 10 3:11 AM
I think you guys are giving this game a "bum rap." As the DD, for $2.99 this is a VERY playable/enjoyable game. The graphics are crisp, unlike many HOG games that rely on dark/fuzzy screens to hide their objects. Maybe you seasoned HOG players are all a little spoiled. MOST items are easy to find. The HINT system using the compass is unique. And for those of you that found it boring . . . many people like straight up HOG games. And another not often found element - a romantic story line!

I find describing the objects with a phrase refreshing. A "Jug adorned with 3 stars" gives you much more to work with than just a "Jug" Anyone objecting to the terminology must miss out on many games. Many games are not written in the US and are poorly translated. Play enough games and you can adapt quite easily. After a while it becomes quite charming. Cut the developers who do not speak English as their primary language some slack. We have to become a little less self centered and not expect that everything has to revolve around us. We are not the only country they write for.

Some people object to the blue sparkles when an item isn't found in a certain amount of time. I call it a frustration reliever. Would you prefer to be stuck forever once you run out of HINT money? How are you going to get past the screen unless the game is polite enough to give you a nudge? It would be the end of the game.

Finding the "magical items" (not exactly what the games calls them) are a nice diversion. Find 5 regular items, fine 1magical item. That is annoying some people? The magnifying glass is so well done that it shouldn't take you longer than 5 to 7 seconds to locate the item - and you can't miss finding the item!! The magnifying glass glows brighter the closer you get to the right spot.

All in all I think the above reviews are doing the game a disservice. Is this a game "to die for?" No, but it also isn't the worst game ever. For those of you who haven't tried the game yet - at least DEMO it and make up your own mind. We all have different likes/dislikes. And in MHO as the DD, for $2.99 it is more than worth the money. Keep in mind, most people on the forum are way too spoiled and have become way too demanding. What do they pay for a game if they go to the store and buy one? Why is it acceptable to spend $50.00 to $70.00 for a game for their game systems, but they trash a game for $6.99/$2.99 if it isn't up to THEIR standards?

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 7, 10 3:57 AM
Excellent review, KIW0612. I hope to see more of your comments and reviews here.

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Jun 7, 10 4:14 AM
Thanks snaphiss

Update to my earlier post. I need to apologize, I may have confused some people. I called "The Spirit of Wandering: The Legend" the DD, when it fact it is feastured as "This Weeks Catch" same price, $2.99

sorry guys,
KIW0612

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jun 7, 10 7:09 AM
Maybe just the shopper in me lol..or maybe I just have too much free time being disabled.. but for 2.99 I will pretty much buy any HOG. Only exception is any game that has bugs and so far only had that happen with one game. My lappy I had custom built for gaming so its rare for a game not to run on it either. I've played over 30 games since I became a fishy 4 months ago. I love the top games, MCFs, Puppetshow, etc etc that have that WOW factor.. but sometimes a easy old school HOG like this one is nice too.

In this game, I love the romance story (more of those plz!) factor and when I can't find something a little "here I am sparkle" takes the stress out, another punch and cheep entertainment makes it a buy for me, I love that we get a weekly catch and feel lucky I found BFGs when they started the punch cards, have gotten many games with my PC credits. I admit a few have been boring, but still worth it to me with a punch rewards a free one.

Ty BFG!!

Edited on 06/07/2010 at 7:25:17 AM PST

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jun 7, 10 11:14 AM
Hi Folks

I have to agree with KIW0612 -- this game is actually rather nice and the objects ARE easy to find; believe me, when I can download a game -- tired and at 3 in the morning (I'm 3 hours ahead of the Pacific Coast) and STILL see almost all the objects w/o a hint (sorry, was too tired to continue searching so used a hint or two) then this is an easy hidden objects game. Actually, the biggest problem I had was trying to think of what the object was that the game was asking for; awake now, so should be able to take less searching time.

As for the magnifying glass -- the orb --, not only does it start shining brighter the closer you get to the object, it also starts ticking louder and I AM hard-of-hearing and can hear the ticking!!

I think the whole set-up is a refreshing and good and bought this game knowing that it's well worth the Catch of the Week price.

MEnr56

Edited on 06/07/2010 at 11:14:58 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jun 7, 10 4:52 PM
I just wanted to add my two cents in this particular thread.
I think it's far from terrible. I'm not a big fan on the finding
of the items with the magic orb, but it only takes a few seconds
each time, so I can bear with it. I think the graphics are nice,
I'm enjoying the story, one of the few where I didn't have to
turn the music off and I like the description of items, nice
change.

Is it RTR or Deadtime Tales or Dire Grove, certainly not.
But for $2.99, it's a pleasant, relaxing game and I have
that locked mode waiting when I finish the relaxed one.

Finished the demo, stopped in here, now am off to buy.

GOOD GOLLY, I'M A HERRING

Edited on 06/07/2010 at 5:00:52 PM PST

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jun 7, 10 5:45 PM
Nice review KIW0612
I'm having fun with this game. That's more than I can say with many of the newer releases that I paid full price for. To each his/her own I say. But don't listen to anyone on this thread when it comes to playing the demo. Olnly you can make your own choice. Give it a try.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Jun 7, 10 7:57 PM
Thank you, my faith in humanity is restored. so glad that most of you also hated this game. I lasted about 10 minutes in the demo and fled. Would rather be bored than play this game. dumb, dumb, dumb gameplay. pointless and weird.

Go to: