bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Where Angels Cry

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 2, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Where Angels Cry? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Where Angels Cry page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 10/02/2012 at 12:35:54 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Where Angels Cry

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 2, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 2, 12 1:07 AM
Morning, all...

It says on the main game page that this is a Hidden Object Adventure Game, but I haven't come across any HOS in the trial version.

This game looks and plays like an Adventure game, with 3-D images.

You can tick "HD" in the "Option. Since I have an HD laptop, I ticked it. For older computer, you can untick it.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Adventure, Challenge.

There is Widescreen.

There is Voice-over, and I thought they were done rather nicely.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

In Casual mode, the HINT and the SKIP button for the puzzles take about 50 seconds to fill.

When clicked, the HINT button shows you exactly where to go.

Your DIARY is at the left. In here you find everything you ever wanted to know, including TASKS which, when you click on them, will expand and give you clues and tell you how to proceed.

There are 21 ANGELS to find. Beware: you don't always find an angel statue in a certain place by day, but may find it in that spot by night.
I whitened it out in case someone thinks it's a spoiler.

There are ACHIEVEMENTS.

--- --- ---

This is an intriguing game. I like the tasks, and gameplay, and will buy this game.

Forgot to mention: The one thing I really detest and found rather annoying was that this game is full of "sun beams". It makes it harder for me to see objects clearly, and I always want to put on my sunglasses when I come across scenes with sun beams streaming into the room or through trees. Most games these days no longer add those irritating sun beams, but this game has them - unfortunately. *puts her shades on*

Edited on 10/02/2012 at 2:21:10 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Oct 2, 12 1:16 AM
Good morning all.

Just to add to Valdy's excellent coverage.

This is one of those games that will leave you feeling bewildered, do you love it or hate it ? Does it make you want to laugh or cry ?

So far, I would say it is quite an easy game , but it is a pleasure to play because it is so logical. Every action I have done so far has had a sensible purpose. It is full of common sense !!!!! (so far)

There is a voice over !!!!! Hush wait. Unfortunately the voice over voices are sooooo bad you will be wishing it was on mute LOL.

Having played the demo. despite my reservations and lack of time, this yarn about missing murderous monks is an absolute must have.

I recommend the demo at least.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Oct 2, 12 1:37 AM
I haven't come across any HO's either, this is not a HO game it's more of an adventure one........................I checked the walkthrough.............not one HO scene..............no buy here.........but it is a cute game.........give it a try at least, you may like it.....................................................NOT FOR ME THOUGH...............happy gaming all

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 2, 12 2:18 AM
This is a well done and well told story of a monk who has gone missing at a large, spooky-looking monastery in the 13th century from Cateia Games. As the player, you have been ordered by the cardinal to discover the true nature of the disappearance while undercover.
A great deal of thought and attention to detail have been put into this game, and it resultingly shines brilliantly. Some details:

-the story is well crafted, revealing itself rather slowly, but at the same time drawing you in to the point that you want to keep going to see what clue will be revealed next.
-the graphics and art are outstanding, and presented in a beautiful widescreen with an option for HD. (My, my, my----what a bit of programming can do!)
-lots of bells and whistles such as voicovers (nicely done), a very helpful diary, angels to discover, and achievements.
-puzzles are interesting and fun without being frustrating.
-haven't seen any HOS, but they are not missed by me in the least since there is so much to do.

So this is an excellent game----as good as it gets, IMO----and I will be buying this one.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 2, 12 2:54 AM
I had bought both of this dev's games and they were truly magnificent work and this one doesn't disappoint. To me a 10/10 game, (and then some) I didn't wait till the trial was over. I bought it straight away.

Graphics: Truly stunning. The people looked like live actors. The snow looked downright cold lol.

Mini Games: Only played one because of the above reason

Music: Beautifully done. Fits perfectly with the game.

Voice overs: Superbly done. That's why to me they looked like live actors, and if not there wasn't no flaw with the mouth movements. To me he sounded like he had a Italian dialect. I love that accent.

Story: Sounds really good thus far. Like a good novel you can't put down. I can only go by what the man said at the beginning and what was put in the synopsis where you download the game about your main character going to see strange happenings at this old monastery.

Yes it did say it's a H0G adventure, but since it's not that is perfectly fine as I love adventure games and RPG's. (Role Playing Games).

Edited on 10/02/2012 at 2:57:23 AM PST

maricika
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by maricika on Oct 2, 12 2:54 AM
Well, just to mention:you can control the SPARKLES!
As most seem to hate them, surprised that nobody moticed. It can be set in GAMEPLAY!
Hope it will come in handy, since it seems the developers have been listening! Thx.!

Voice overs are not v important to me, unless they detract from the story and in this game, what little I saw it makes no difference, the demo being so short. The game is beautifully designed and it changes smoothly between locations and I do appreciate the effort put into it.
Wonder at length, as the *lost monk* made his presence known already. Still, has possibilities and will try to explore them.

Have a look and pls. leave comments, as lately notice few do; why I started going it myself, instead of just lurking.

Have fun

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Oct 2, 12 4:08 AM
another game I enjoyed very much. I just now bought it, and it is downloading now. Thanks for an excellent game.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 2, 12 6:41 AM
what a great start to a new game...completely new place, not the usual broken down car etc etc..here you are back in the 1200 with a mystery. This reminds me of a great couple of mystery books.The Queens Man and Cruel as the Grave by Penman. Back you go into the past for mysteries..
This game was elegantly put together ..as far as the demo. Very thoughtful graphics..the site and sounds ..you are there. The one scene of the monk riding quietly through a snowly woods was really beautiful..and gently set the mood for the game.
I struggled a little with the puzzles, but there are many layers to this game. Finding this and that that are logical...now what would I do in the 1200 to unfreeze a rope...aha!
No issues with the game play at all so far (knocking on wood). The facial graghics are so well done, the voiceovers fit the characters and each character is starting to flesh out. The only one who isn't flashing out well, is your own character. Would be helpful to have you look into the well and see who everyone else is looking at and talking to.
But never mind. great game and of course, a buy.
kris

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Oct 2, 12 6:44 AM
Hi everyone!
I'm producer of Where Angels Cry ( Talk with the developers of Where Angels Cry here! ) and I'm very glad to see you are enjoying our game!
I'll stay around here for few days! And I would like to hear more of your comments and suggestions.

Edited on 10/02/2012 at 10:33:24 AM PST

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Oct 2, 12 7:10 AM
Graphics were very nice. I had no trouble finding things I needed. The voiceovers were ok. Some seemed a bit out of place but not too distracting.

Puzzles were not impossible but it did take me quite a bit on that horse one.

I do not normally care for adventure games. I tend to get bored with them very quickly but this one seemed to move along at a steady pace.

There are 7 chapters. The demo is a sample version that plays through the first 3 chapters. I finished the demo in 40 minutes so if the following chapters are the same length it would be less than 2 hour gameplay for me. Judging by the walkthrough the demo ends about a third of the way through.

I don't like very long games but this one might be a bit too short for me. I don't mind a short game if I really love it but not sure I love this one enough to overlook the length.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 2, 12 8:01 AM
The demo only allows you about 30 minutes of play...not a lot to determine if this is a buy. Voice overs are really annoying and slow. If I buy I will definately have to find a way to turn these off. Graphics are almost cartoonish. Seems it could be a bit boring but did pick up a bit toward the end of the demo. Playing in HD wasn't all that extrodianary so if you don't have it, I don't think you are missing anything. Several mini games that I skipped as both the skip and hint buttons are fairly quick in the casual mode. Don't like mini games. No HOS that I encountered, you seem to pick up all you need laying around, but beware, they don't sparkle, just a slight curser change so you can miss them. I need to think about this one.

Edited on 10/02/2012 at 8:02:23 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Oct 2, 12 8:18 AM
I'm firmly on the fence with this one. Keen start to the story, farily compelling...but seems kind of slow in progressing - usually we're tossed right into "the chase" as it were...here we get to the monastary where things are going horribly wrong (and I mean horribly) and are given meneal tasks? (trying to do this without having to white out spoilers )...maybe this will make sense as the story progresses, but for now my charecter is QUITE confused by these Monks & their casual attitude!

Graphics are very nice - not jaw dropping - but well done. Some VO's good, some not as good - does matter in this game as you really need to listen to them all! Then again, for $6.99 I don't expect Oscar winning actors to do the VO's (which you do get in most $60.00 games); really we should be happy we get remotely good VO's for $6.99!!

Game runs well so far - smooth scene transitions, no hinky cursor - these are always good things.

Even though I saw in reviews it isn't "really" and HO - am a bit dissapointed anyway...so far as an Adventure it's not super challenging (again - this may change as the game goes on...) as the cursor changes over items to be picked up & you have a task list to help you with what to do with items (note: am in mid-difficult mode...so take that into consideration too).

Upshot - I'll stay on the fence for today, but do think this one is worth trying for yourself!! It's a well done, well running game...my hesitation is more a matter of my personal taste than anything to do with the game per se!

Happy gaming!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 2, 12 9:11 AM
I have now finished the game. Missed 2 angels, I think.

This was a very nice adventure-type of game. And although the end was rather abrupt, the game on the whole was very entertaining. Loved the puzzles.

Elirana
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by Elirana on Oct 2, 12 10:07 AM
Oh! Wow! I'm hooked. Just to add...There is a tick box for Sparkles, Extended Tasks AND Faster Hint/Skip in Gameplay settings. I love the interaction with people and joining items in inventory. Also there is help in the diary. Explains all the cursors etc.
Cateia have ticked all the boxes and not only listened to us but have acted.
A plus for me is it's an honest to goodness adventure and not a HOS in sight. Whoohoo!

Thanks Ivan and co.

pcpat923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by pcpat923 on Oct 2, 12 10:19 AM
Excellent game. Enjoying this logical and exciting Adventure.

Been a BFG Member quite a while and don't say too much as I'm usually off playing games. Mildly tolerate the sometimes mind-boggling hidden object scenes because that is what BFG offers most, however, my all-time Favorites are Adventure Games.

"Where Angels Cry" is not a "typical" Adventure as there are logical steps to follow. Some old-time Adventure games would have you searching a solution for weeks and years lol. (I still haven't finished "Safecracker!") Would like to see more like "Where Angels Cry". A sequel, perhaps? Yes?

Reading reviews and noticed--HO lovers and Adventure lovers usually complain that a game is more one than the other. Developers should be congratulated for a game that meshes the best of both of these worlds. Objects still have to be found and worked into a scene. Puzzles still have to be solved. Achievements can be attained to challenge us to complete puzzles rather than hit the Skip button. Genuis, really!
All rolled into one neat package where the Artwork is stunning and the Game plot is original! Thoroughly enjoyed the Monastery, the Alps and the lightly falling snow!

I absolutely love gettng lost in a good Adventure game and purchased this immediately! Yay! A must-have for Collectors!

Wanted to stop by and thank Ivan and Game Developers.

Thanks all for a truly fun gaming experience.

Enjoy!

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Oct 2, 12 10:32 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to swim in here and make the link ivanbral posted "clickable". You can give more feedback and ask him questions over there if you'd like.

Thanks for sharing your reviews here too!

bfgMonongahela

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 2, 12 12:17 PM
I'm on the fence with this one. The Demo ended with 23 minutes left to play.The graphics are nice, the music isn't obtrusive, but that gosh-awful Italian accent grates on the nerves (especially to an Italian-American) The game is semi-logical to a point, but drove me crazy with the little things. For instance, I knew I needed a shovel for a task (never mind what task that would be a spoiler) and I found lots of shovels around the areas. I kept clicking on shovels until I finally found the "correct" shovel on a different screen. The same was true of the h0e
Another thing that bothered me is the disappearance of objects I needed as it was used and then having to search for the same object again. How many buckets can be left around one monastery anyway?
As I said I'm on the fence. The game premise seems like it would be fun, the graphics are passable except for the travel scenes where the movement seemed jerky in spots. This game is more of an adventure game than a hidden object game, but the hint system is excellent. All in all it will come down to personal preference. Try the Demo and make your choice

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Oct 2, 12 12:38 PM
I found the graphics a bit dark. There were items out in the open but the scene was so dark that I had to wait for a hint. There are lots of the same item (shovels and buckets for example) that makes it confusing to find the "right one". Although the premise of the game is great and the voice over and acting are outstanding, I am on the fence with this one.....

Go to: