bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Mayan Prophecies: Ship of Spirits Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 4, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mayan Prophecies: Ship of Spirits Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mayan Prophecies: Ship of Spirits Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mayan Prophecies: Ship of Spirits Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 4, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Oct 4, 12 12:44 AM

I had to jump in. I am usually early here because here in the UK we get the game at 8am, so I am up and waiting.
I have only played this for 10 minutes but it is a definite buy for me. First impression was of very nice graphics but what sold it was the title screen options. At last, a dev who has used some logic on the options. Hint, sparkles, skip etc, all have on/off buttons so you can select just how you want to play. What a breath of fresh air. Brilliant. I've only come across one HOS but it was very interactive and well done. I'm sure this is going to be a goody, there has obviously been some thought gone into it.
Off to buy and play, enjoy.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Oct 4, 12 12:53 AM
Same here a very well put together game. The HO's are very interactive.
VOICE OVER
MAP TO JUMP
WIDESCREEN
INTERACTIVE HO'S
ONLY 2 CHAPTERS BUT LOOKS TO BE QUITE A LONG GAME (IN DEMO)
SO FAR EASY PUZZLES
HO'S CLEAR AND PLAYABLE
IT'S A BUY FOR ME YOU ALSO HAVE TO FIND HUMMINGBIRDS, MORPHING ITEMS...............6 chapters plus bonus and you got a choice between mahjong or HO's

Edited on 10/04/2012 at 1:12:29 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 4, 12 12:57 AM
As the file is big (922 M , and I already bought it - I leave to our main reviewers to give you the basic details...

Size:
6 chapters - 48 pages.
bonus chapter - 13 pages.

Map with transportation, and navigation arrows (by clicking on the hint button - I it). But I used mainly the map, searching for forgotten tasks.

Busy busy game, with "zillion" achievements...

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 4, 12 12:58 AM
Played 30 minutes, casual

- 4 modes, casual, normal, hard and custom. Custom is an interesting option, you can adjust the game to what you want, difficulty wise, hints, penalties for wrong clicks, etc. A definite plus. You can swap mode while playing
- Integrated SG which only shows 2 chapters, stays on the page you leave
- Voice overs
- Map, you get it after playing a short while, you can jump with it
- Notebook
- You have to find 32 humming birds throughout the game
- 44 morphing objects to be found too
- You get parts of an artifact while playing
- H0, you interact, you can swap them for a mahjong game, another plus !
- Mini games not over difficult but pleasant
- You get awards for completing H0 with no hints, achieving mini games, etc....
- Beautiful graphics
- Music OK

Interesting story, you end up on an ghost galleon and have to rescue (as far as I played) a young boy, your partner and the bandit that were with you have disappeared too. An inventive game, good story, good graphics, a buy for me.

Wanted to add that I have finished the game. FABULOUS GAME !!!! Don't know how a SE will be able to come out of it. Hours of grand game play, thank you for this real CE, bonus play is really worth it though you feel a bit frustrated not to reach the island.

Edited on 10/05/2012 at 10:30:58 AM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Oct 4, 12 1:07 AM
I am really enjoying this game!

From the demo:

Graphics are great. I didn't really notice the music too much. The story is a little odd, and I'm not quite sure where it's headed, but it's somewhat interesting (hard to explain, though).

I love that there are "beyond" (morphing) objects to collect as well as hummingbirds. The first hummingbird I found was a surprise. There are also achievements to get (hooray!), and the game will inform you of how far along in getting certain achievements, which I like.

You have to collect pieces of artifacts as well as pieces of a calendar as you move around in the game. You don't get a map until you're a little bit into the game, but I didn't find that I needed it until then, really.

The hidden object scenes are really clear, and there are interactive bits in them, and some of the interactive is more than just moving a screen or opening a cabinet door, which is nice.

I think the best part of this game is that there are four modes to choose from, the fourth being "custom." I love this! You can pick how fast the hint refills, how fast the skip fills, if you want sparkles in regular scenes or just hidden object scenes, etc. It's great!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 4, 12 1:23 AM
Morning, all...

Where to begin. There are soooooo many things to do and find. Lets see if I remember them all.

This Review may contain Spoilers

There are 4 (FOUR) gameplay modes: Casual, Normal, Hard, Custom. The last one allows you to tick whichever difficulty you want to have.

There is Voice-over.

There is a choice of Custom and System Cursor.

There is WIDESCREEN.

There are Achievements. On the main game page, it says among other things that the CE includes: Unique CE achievements.
So, don't miss out on those if you like achievements in a game, and don't forget, you are getting an extra punch if you buy the game today.

There are quite a few Hummingbirds to be found. I think they are only in the HOS (hidden object scenes).

There are quite a few Morphing objects to be found.

Also, there are 2 objects, one each at the bottom right and left for which you have to find bits and pieces to be added.

Your Diary is at the left.

Also at the left is your MAP, which shows you where you are, and where you need to do something. It can also be used to jump.

The SG (strategy guide) is at the right, and so is your HINT button, which also works beautifully outside of the iHOS.

The HOS are interactive. The graphics in them are superb, and it's a joy to find objects in them. If you don't feel like searching for objects, you can click on that "Mahjong" button at the top left side, and play a game of Mahjong instead.

The only thing I may have a slight problem with is that the font and colouring of the words in the lists of the HOS are not very easy to read. I would have preferred it if they had been a little more bold and the background whiter so that the words stood out more.

You can lock the Inventory list so it stays on top, or keep the lock open for it to disappear until you need it again.

Puzzles can be skipped. Both HINT and SKIP buttons fill within 30 seconds in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

It is possible that I have forgotten something. There are just sooooo many things to do and find, as I have already mentioned. LOL

The graphics are wonderfully done. Gameplay and story had me gripped right from the beginning. This is an excellent, fun and entertaining game, and I am off to get it.

Edited on 10/04/2012 at 2:24:20 PM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Oct 4, 12 1:45 AM
Good morning everyone Well now it looks like we're taking to the high seas on this little adventure so let's make sure we have everything we need. Big spooky ship check, skeletons on board check, sea creatures creeping in check, lots of empty bottles of rum check, lots of full barrels of rum check and check, rusty cannons that still fire check, some ghost on board that may have slipped in from the Titanic check, loaded guns check, no ice bergs in sight check, lots of locked treasure chest on board check, ghost captain on board check, Captain Jack Sparrow all mine ! Looks like we are ready to set sail and head to the high seas if anyone needs me I'll be giving Captain Jack Sparrow the tour so you all go right ahead and start this little adventure without me I'll be back sometime and if not well I'm sure you'll be having so much fun with this game you want even notice I'm gone.

Wow what a great game some of the best graphics I've seen yet from this developer kudos to you. Everything is so vivid and bold making things much easier to find. Interactive search scenes and interactive all around and so much fun. I had a blast with the demo and purchased it right after the demo ended.

There's so much to do with this one and so many neat little things to collect along the way morphing objects, humming birds, artifact pieces and more. This dev. really pulled out all the stops on this one and left no stone unturned. The music is very fitting for this type of game and nice voice overs.

The puzzles I came across in the demo were cool nothing to make you pull your hair out and run around screaming in frustration. I was able to do all the ones that I came across in the demo and they were pretty cool. This seems to be a rather lengthy game but one that is gonna be fun from start to finish. The story is really good and pulls you right in from the get go.

Lots of eye candy with this one the graphics are gorgeous some of the best I've seen from this developer. They got this one dead on this is a great game with lots of mystery and fun and plenty of skeletons on board. Give the demo a whirl I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thank you dev's and Big Fish for this awesome high seas adventure. Have fun everybody !

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 4, 12 2:35 AM
Holy cow! There's a lot going on in this game!

The story -- you and your partner captured a poacher of endangered marine life. Transporting him back to land you encounter a strange fog, your boat crashes, you wake up alone, no poacher, no partner, a strange ship is near where you are floating, you manage to get aboard. I don't want to ruin the story -- let's just say the ship is very old and filled with quite unusual artifacts…

Okay, the stuff (in no particular order -- it's almost all good):
• Wide screen
• Voice overs
• graphics fit the atmosphere -- they are pretty good
• Achievements -- #8 is different in the SG than in the Mac game.
• Lockable inventory bar
• Collect 44 "beyond" objects -- morphing
• Collect hummingbirds (I forget how many)
• Collect 5 artifact parts to get the ship's story -- find the artifact base during play
• Calendar keeps track of "pieces" -- find the calendar during play
• Interactive HOS OR mahjong
• Puzzles are theme based, fairly simple so far. I saw more of them than HOS during the demo.
• HOPA with 4 modes of play including Custom -- very nice feature; unfortunately black info bars are hint laden.
• Map -- shows where you are; also indicates active objectives except in hardest mode. Find the map during play.
• Journal -- keeps your notes and pertinent finds
• 6 chapters plus Bonus chapter

CE extras:
• Strategy Guide
• Wallpapers
• concept art
• screen saver
• music -- can be saved
• mahjong -- games are available once you complete the in game HO / mahjong

That's it folks. There are tons of tasks, tons of items to find to complete them, a rather odd, intriguing story -- should provide many hours of play time.

Edited on 10/04/2012 at 3:41:33 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 4, 12 2:39 AM
Excellent game here from Elefun Games. Since Valdy, gmac1007, and others have nicely summarized the game and its parts, I'll keep this brief.

An excellent and compelling story with beautiful graphics and artwork make this one really stand out. It's one of those where you find yourself just gaping at the scenery. Everything takes place on a ship, but it's huge with lots of different locations.

And you will be kept very busy going from location to location searching for the different items needed as well as hummingbirds, morphing objects, and pieces of the Mayan calendar. Not to worry, as you can jump with the provided map. And you can look for all these things all over the WIDESCREEN that these devs, like all the good devs do, have provided.

Tons of extras even for a CE, great story, and beautiful presentation make this must have.

BTW, don't overlook the Daily Deal----excellent adventure game there!

Edited on 11/02/2012 at 1:36:45 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 4, 12 3:39 AM
I will also be brief!

I completely agree with All the good things said about this game.

It's a joy to look at and to play!

I could barely pull myself away (only managed to do so with 1 min. left on the timer) to purchase!!

Well done Devs!

And A Huge Thank You for making the wallpapers,etc. available upon purchase!

I know! I know!
Some do not care about these particular extras in a CE and find them useless,however, that does not make them useless to everyone, only to the ones who find them so!

Happy Gaming All!
BK

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 4, 12 3:47 AM
I am so in awe of this game. WOW!! I wasn't expecting to be knocked off my seat to the degree I am. This game has impressed me and it's going to be hard trying to wait for a sale haha. I love the story, graphics, the ability to custom choose everything, the mahjong choice in hidden object scenes and the fact mahjong is part of the bonus materials, the finding of lots n lots of stuff intrigues me. This game will keep me busy for hours. If it wasn't 3am (insomnia) I'd stay up and demo more but in 20 minutes time I am blown away. Thanks for the dual release developers

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Oct 4, 12 11:27 AM
Beautiful game and a must have for me.....

lmarr54
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by lmarr54 on Oct 4, 12 12:19 PM
This game has it all and then some! I am really impressed and can only hope other developers strive for this quality of a game. Buy it today for the extra punch because you'll be playing it over and over just to attain all the achievments!

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Oct 4, 12 12:21 PM
HOG lovers dream!
But for me.....way too many.....every scene has one. Takes a lot of the adventure aspect out of the game for me. I am actuallydisappointed as I doubt if I will even finish it.
Overall it is a great game if your into that many HO's or like Mahjong for the better part of your game.
Graphics are great, music is not intrusive, easy navigating around with the map.
Hummingbirds are cute, but it is way to easy to get them.
So, bottom line, I wish I would of passed on the game.
Each to their own, right?
Enjoy HO lovers

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Oct 4, 12 12:31 PM
All i have to say : It's on the top of my " Must own and play " list .

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 4, 12 1:24 PM
splendid game.that's not a term I use at all usually. It was splendid in every respect.
-graphics..who could ask for more..they were beautifully rendered. There seem to be two different styles of the hidden object games. One was bold, clear and cleaver, the other used misty colouring and less well painted objects..quite a difference between the two. The first one was obviously done by the masters of this dev.
-game play..you can't ask for more..it went on and on and on...it had so many levels to it, find this, add that, a pringle of this..it was such fun
-music-rich music, didn't mind cranking the sound up at all. Even after being all done and a little put out because the experience was over..I played mahjung with the music continuing...couldn't have enough.
-the end....well, I guess it wasn't.
anyway, two thumbs up on this one..this one will win awards I bet. It is worth the $
kris

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 4, 12 1:25 PM
A neat game, got into it more as I played it. Like to know more of what tasks you have to do and didn't see that this had that. Graphics are great and it's a different take on all the other's I have played as of late. Trying to decide which CE I want to buy right now. I know I will buy it if not as a CE, an SE for sure. Give this 4 out of 5 stars.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 4, 12 2:13 PM
Elefun ... Thank you for proving that it is possible for a Collectors Edition to actually be worth us paying double the price for it, unlike a lot of others I had no hesitation in purchasing your game after a brief demo.

There are so many things I like about this game but the best one of all is that I can customise the degree of difficulty and thus I can play the game without any sparkles and, if I come across a puzzle I dislike doing, I will not have to read a book while waiting for the skip button to fill ( not that I have needed to use it ... yet).

Thank you for the interactive HO scenes and all the various objects to find while playing and also for having a change of heart and allowing the wallpaper to be used once the game has been bought instead of after the game has been completed as you had originally intended. As a result I now have your wallpaper gracing my desktop while I play this game .

Cherb

ETA ...

This is definitely one of my favourite games this year

Edited on 10/20/2012 at 10:10:30 AM PST

Go to: