bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 7, 12 12:29 AM
Uncover the mysterious past of a sleepy seaside village in Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville! You and your son, Tim, recently moved to the small town of Tideville to make a fresh start. One peaceful autumn evening, you arrive home just in time to see Tim vanish into thin air! Armed with only your wits and a cryptic clue about a scientist, you set out to find your son. But you soon learn that Tim was not the first resident of Tideville to disappear... In fact, people have been going missing for years. But who is behind it all? And what do they want? Unravel the town's dark secret in this stunning Hidden Object game!

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

Re:Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 7, 12 12:58 AM
This appears to be a new DEV? I think they want to use ERS as a model (that's my impression) but there is no way I would buy this as a CE and couldn't put up with it as a SE due to the reverse sparkles in the hardest mode of two. When you pick up an object it gives you showers of blue sparkles.

Another CE which just gives the very basics - wallpaper, screensaver, music and concept art. There may be collectables but I didn't see them or anything else as I think the collecting of blue crystals was part of gameplay?

It's old school with drawn characters popping up to speak - there was voiceover and the lips did move but out of synch (later the boy's lips were moving with no voiceover) and a huge green box with dialogue in it. I personally don't like that style.

The story didn't even drag me in, child abducted by scientist - same old. It appears very easy.

The graphics were nice, the hand drawn look but did have colour and was quite sharp until it came to the HOS which was a shame as they where faded, not sharp and junk piles (list). But those who don't like HOS but like match 3 will be pleased to know you can toggle between match 3 and HOS.

I know die-hards will like this game, and those who love match 3 but for above reasons won't be buying it. (and a tip for those that want to - I'd wait a couple of days you might get an extra punch or something )

Those that like enjoy.

edit - can't spell!

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 1:10:22 AM PST

Koffie99
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

Scissors?

[Post New]by Koffie99 on Oct 7, 12 4:12 AM
Must have missed them... Any tips?

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Oct 7, 12 7:04 AM

I posted this in reviews but should probably have put my reply here.
Thanks for the review, angelfish. I thought I was going to be the only one who liked it. I am with you that this is just a game. I have played part of the demo and the only thing I found that I really found different was the crystals showing up so easy. I'm used to hunting for things like that. This may not be a review but I like it enough to buy.

bbelle

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 7, 12 9:05 AM
I kinda liked this game and probably would have bought it, but what killed it for me was that its another game "heavy" on Hos and they're quite junkpile, and I'm not too keen on match 3 either, so will pass on this game.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Oct 7, 12 10:24 AM
Koffie99, the scissors are in the potted plant at the top of the stairs. I rather like this game except there really are too many HOGS for my taste. But, the story is good and you can switch to match3 any time you want. Happy gaming All!!!

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Oct 7, 12 11:49 AM
I must say I was taken aback at the comments on this game. I think it is quite good and If I had paid attention to the comments and reviews I would not have given it a chance. Thank goodness I am one who has always been a free thinker Humor aside, this game, IMHO, is a pretty good start for a dev that I have not heard of before. As far as HOS are concerned, for me, the more the merrier and I love the little extras that are added, the sounds and the visuals that occur when an object is clicked on. I love the graphics and the voice-overs, even if mom doesn't sound very panicky, after all, if she was going around saying, What'll I do! What'll I do! My son's gone! How could she ever be calm enough to find and pick up all the little things to help everybody else? Just kidding so please don't get your bloomers in a knot. All in all, I say, good job, devs and keep up the good work.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 7, 12 12:49 PM
This game has me on the fence! While I love the idea of Match 3 or HOS's there were a lot of things that bothered me.

One: It really has nothing to do with the actual game play but the story I don't know a single person that would make me find an item for them if I come running in saying the my child is missing! "Ok, I'll help you. If you can find my glasses I'll try and help you find your son?" Can you imagine a world with people like that?

Anyway Back to the game. I found the scenes too dark to see well and wasn't very impressed with the Match 3 either. They are to easy. Not very challenging at all.

It could be that I am overly tired today but the game just felt scattered to me. I couldn't really get a grip on what I was actually doing. Kind of disconnected.

On the other hand it was interesting and the voice overs were very good IMHO I think on a "normal" day I would have enjoyed this more and will probably get it when it comes out in SE. There are just to many others on my list right now. I don't get as much time to play as I once did

Well, that's my tired rambling for now. I have to say this one is players opinion.

1/2 out of 5.

Edited for: I am with Gingergal on the shower of blue sparkles! A bit irritating! At first it made me think there was a HOS there

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 12:52:48 PM PST

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Oct 7, 12 2:24 PM
I always read the reviews, and am glad I tried this game. I guess I'm one of the few who really enjoyed it because I bought it and just finished it. I actually enjoyed the story line and hope their next game is just as good.
The bonus game play added to the game for me, but could have been a bit longer IMO. I finished it in about 45 minutes, but I am glad I bought the CE. The ending to me would have been acceptable as an SE, but the CE ending added so much more to it, again this is just my opinion.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 7, 12 2:35 PM
If you compare this game to a really good collectors edition, it comes up lacking. If you compare it to a great fun game, it can hold it's own. The graphics are;t bad, the voice over isn't bad, If this were an SE I would be all over it like white on rice, but as a CE, i don't have the spare cash. I already have 4 CE's on my wish list. I will have to wait until my monthly free credit or a sale on CE's
Try the game for yourself, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

wrennie
Minnow
Minnow
276 Posts

[Post New]by wrennie on Oct 7, 12 4:27 PM
I'm sure it's just me....that's why I didn't bring this up in the reviews. The game's storyline just obothered me. It's set during the turn of the century. First of all a child (he appeared to be oorund 9) would not been left at home alone without a housekeeper while his mother went out. He would have been in someone's care. When she came home and watched him fade into oblivion, she would have been surrounded by the authorities and a doctor would have been summoned to sedate her. No doubt she would have fainted six times by the end of chapter two. The ones who would be searching for the boy would have the police and/or some of the burly neighborhood men. The women would have been there to take care of her and cook for the search parties. This was just so off for the time period. Nor could she have gone to Rudy's house and just walked in and gone upstairs. These all seemed to be actions for more modern times, but not the late 18'00's.
I, too, was surpised by the lack of emotion upon losing her only child. That seemed like a reaction that would have taken over after she became upset.
It's like looking for a microwave oven in a story set in ancient Egypt. , it's probably just me.

giam1
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by giam1 on Oct 7, 12 8:09 PM
in what resolution has anyone of you THAT LIKE THE GAME been playing in? i think that MIGHT be my problem solver

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Oct 8, 12 5:32 PM

Hi glam 1,

I have mine on 1280 X 960. Hope this helps.

I spelled your name wrong. sorry.

Edited on 10/08/2012 at 5:36:14 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Feb 12, 13 6:57 AM
we must admit, this game was a little tuff.......................

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Mar 30, 13 5:52 PM
This is an odd little game that I really wanted to like.

The voice overs were clear and appropriate to the characters, and I love wandering around a deserted town looking in other people's houses and businesses. I was willing to put up with the simplistic graphics and repetitive music and noises - a constant donkey braying - but I dislike both HO scenes and Match 3 games so it all added up to a missed opportunity.

The anachronisms were pretty annoying. I realize it's a steampunk concept game, but even steampunk is rooted in the time in which it is set - no 50s radios or 90s electrical cables.

And yet another missing child - sadly, that makes this a no-buy game for me.

Go to: