bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Oct 7, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 12:36:39 AM PST

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Oct 7, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 7, 12 12:56 AM
Played 25 minutes, casual

- 2 modes, regular, expert
- Integrated SG which only shows 2 chapters (stays on the page you leave)
- Voice overs
- You collect blue crystals throughout the game in order to save the boy
- Note book
- No map
- Hint button useful outside H0
- Skip button
- H0 , you interact, you can swap for a game of M3, "atmosphere" fog in H0, could be disturbing for some people
- Mini games easy up till now
- Good graphics
- Music OK

Widow, son kidnapped by mad scientist, people disappearing, nothing really new. The game looks easy, you use the items you find nearly as soon as you get them. Looks like a nice, enjoyable game, shame it appears after two grand CEs....we've been spoiled !

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 12:57:49 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Oct 7, 12 1:13 AM
Gave up on this game after 45 minutes trial. Had some amazing CEs lately, and this doesn't come close.
Two game modes, and I was playing advanced.
Hated the way when finding an object in the scenes; they flew up on the screen, very 'in your face' and hovered for a couple of seconds.
Way too many HO scenes, and marginally interactive ie one thing to do to find a single item. The rest just just junk pile items. You can switch to a M3 game instead, but I really didn't get how you were supposed to know which item you'd found. Pretty boring M3 at that.
Too much hand holding. Think when one sees a lock, we bright enough to know it needs a key.
Storyline ok, graphics good although a little fuzzy. 2 years ago this would have been a good game, but feels dated.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 7, 12 1:22 AM
Morning, all...

This Review may contain Spoilers, so... read at your own peril.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen!!

Your DIARY is at the left.

Your SG (strategy guide), which stays open where you last left it open, is also at the left.

The HINT button is at the right. It refills after about 15-17 seconds in Casual mode, and also works beautifully outside of the iHOS.

Puzzles can be skipped. Alas... the SKIP button takes far too long to fill in Casual mode - a minute or thereabouts.

There is no Map.

There is Voice-over.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive. If you get fed up with searching for objects, you can play a Match 3 game instead. Each time the tube at the left is filled with a vile green fluid, one of the objects is taken off the list.

Just one complaint: There are a lot of what I call "sun beams" streaming into the rooms of the HOS, which makes finding objects in the part of the scenes which are brighter/lighter than the rest, harder for me to find.
I would have loved the HOS - graphics are nicely done - if it weren't for those shafts of sunlight coming in.
Please stop doing this, developers. Just make the whole scene the same.
End of complaint...

There are 15 blue Crystals you have to find - they are placed at the right, next to the HINT button.

--- --- ---

I love the graphics, but gameplay is pretty much routine, I am sad to say.

What I found a little tiresome is that I had to find keys to open boxes with keys to open something else with a key. And why would the doorknob to the kitchen be missing and found in a rather unlikely place?

Then, I seem to be allowed to just march into someone else's house, and rummage through the downstairs room, and take things, instead confining myself to the one room upstairs I was supposed to go to.

Normally, I don't mind illogical or ill-mannered actions in a game, but it was a little too much right there at the start.

I will buy this game eventually, but not now.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 7, 12 1:23 AM
I have 12 minutes left on the demo, and decided that I would stop to buy, and play the rest tomorrow. So far I like the game, except for one thing, and I do wish the devs would take note of this: Playing the part of the mother looking for her son just doesn't cut it when she has to stop and do all of these tasks...and of course her voice just doesn't fit the normal panic tone that most mothers would have if their child went missing. I think that is why the games where you are the detective works better, in most cases. I can think of a couple where the mother role fit, but in this one, she just isn't believable., as she is much too polite, calm, and helpful

I like that there is a choice between hog and m3. I like hogs, but some do prefer the other, so I know that option may be appreciated. I also like the music, and when I hear that music box type tinkle, it fits, but it also makes me wonder if it is telling me something, lol. If so, I haven't figured out what..but that is ok. I thoroughly enjoyed the last CE, but it is nice to take a break from hunting all over the room for that morphing object. I don't mind them, but it doesn't mean I want them in every game I play.

eta after reading Valdy's post. To just walk in someone else's home or shop and just start picking things up and taking them just seems wrong. I agree that is something that bothers me too... right along with destroying what I would call precious objects. On the other hand, the fact that we mention it is heartening...this old world of ours has become quite blase about many things. Nice that so many of us still have a conscience;

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 1:29:30 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 7, 12 2:02 AM
From a dev I have not seen before (GrandMA Studios) comes this game featuring a mother looking for her son who just evaporates into thin air right before her eyes! (More on that in a minute)

So the game opens in a nice widescreen (gosh, new dev with widescreen----hmmm). and the graphics are very nice, with nice artwork. Game mechanics appear to be very good, too, as the movement is crisp and easy to navigate.

But where the game gets its demerits is the story, and the telling of it. I mentioned that the boy disappears in front of Mom, and Mom is no more excited than if you told her the last piece of candy was gone. She remains much too calm for the story to be believable. And later, she finds out other details that are part of the guts of the story obviously designed to move the story along in an exciting manner----but not Mom. Now, whether that's bad story-telling or bad acting (in the voiceovers) or both, it takes away from the story itself. And the story has elements to it that just border on ridiculous. So the tale of the missing boy becomes ho-hum.

The game features the usual claptrap of extras---- (bonus game , strategy guide , and wallpapers, screensavers, and musical soundtrack, things I never look at or use or care about, but for those that do, there you go)

Nice enough for a SE later, just very routine as a CE.

Janeypat
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Janeypat on Oct 7, 12 2:22 AM
Played about 20 mins of game and got fed up finding keys to open things to find more keys and door handles etc.
In hard mode still found to game a bit easy but good graphics.
I wanted to like this game but for a CE not worth the money will wait until SE.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Oct 7, 12 3:55 AM
Just finished the demo which ends at a set point. IMO, I just couldn't get into this game. The story kinda reminded me of PuppetShow as a prequel or a wannabe with the robots being very similar in style.
As others have stated the mother is way to calm for having her son vanish right before her eyes and incredibly helpful to others before telling them about her sons disappearance. The whole thing just seemed Ho-Hum to me. Maybe it is because of the past 3 CE's that I have played, who knows. I really didn't find the graphics all that great. The objects that you pick up linger on the screen way to long. As mentioned above, you are finding key after key. I had also thought to myself, "how rude," taking and rummaging through things right in front of someone....just doesn't seem realistic.
As of right now, this is deifnately not a buy - even with the BOGO. I'm not even sure the SE would interest me, so maybe I'll just wait for a $2.99 sale or use a coupon code later on down the line when I'm really in need of a game.
Well, that's it from me. Off to play some of my other games. Have a great day fishies! Enjoy!

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 4:07:50 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 7, 12 4:22 AM
Right. You're a mother and see your son disappear in front of you but you stay deadcalm and begin searching for things in your own house without even blinking an eye discovering unusual things like a hole in your staircase and a kitchendoor without a knob. Of course. That's normal.Just like your impassive tone of voice when you ask your little son's friend for details, and your acceptance of the fact that the frontdoor of his house has some kind of puzzle lock instead of a normal knob and keyhole.

Talking about a ridiculous storyline.

But if this weren't enough the devs also spoil us with so-so graphics, annoying music and too frequent H0 scenes in junkpilestyle.

Not only unworthy to pay CE price for, but unworthy to pay for at all.

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 4:23:52 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 7, 12 4:48 AM
This is a bad story! Just what other say: the mother stays calm and help everybody.
You need water to put over the oven. Witch kitchen have no watertap in the house!? Well, lucky there is a barrel with water outside.

I wanted to like this game, but I can't. Maybe I buy it as a SE but not the CE.

Sorry devs, maybe you think it over by the next game.

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Oct 7, 12 5:26 AM
I thought it was a nice little game, on the easy side, but sometimes I like to play something easy. Yes, mother is very calm unbelievable, but when you look at almost every game there are unbelievable things to do. I will buy this game.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 7, 12 6:27 AM
I finished the demo with allot of frustration, There are so many HOs. I don't want to buy this game because it's kinda dumb and of course the HOs.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 7, 12 6:37 AM
Having read the reviews I was ready to not like this game but in fact I enjoyed the demo very much. I played on expert mode and not a sparkle in sight, which is how it should be! It filled my widescreen monitor too; goes to show that some notable devs simply can't be bothered to add the programming needed to achieve this.

The voices were very nicely done; yes the Mother was perhaps too calm after having seen her son disappear in front of her eyes but this is a game, not real life. If it was, she'd be off to the police station and there would be no game! If stories were believable, not many games would ever get released.

The graphics were quite lovely; muted pastel shades in the HOS, of which there were plenty. Not many puzzles so far and they weren't too difficult. If you compare this with something like the latest Dark Parables, then it's not up to that standard (but not many games are). As a CE, it is perhaps a little too easy even in expert mode. But sometimes a relaxing, easy to play and not frustratingly difficult game is just what's needed. I'm going to take a chance on this charming little game and buy it

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Oct 7, 12 7:01 AM

Thanks for the review, angelfish. I thought I was going to be the only one who liked it. I am with you that this is just a game. I have played part of the demo and the only thing I found that I really found different was the crystals showing up so easy. I'm used to hunting for things like that. This may not be a review but I like it enough to buy.

bbelle

Nynaeve70
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by Nynaeve70 on Oct 7, 12 7:36 AM
I agree there are some unbelievable things happening (like the mother too calm, weird door locks, etc); but the game is relaxing and during the part of the demo I played, I enjoyed the flow so far.

Sometimes it is nice to have a game where things are relaxed, I'm considering buying it. I just haven't decided if I want to buy the CE or wait for the SE.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 7, 12 8:53 AM
A game from a new dev or maybe several people who decided to start their own company. Anyway, what mother whose loses her son would be so nonchalant? She speaks with her son's friend as if she were a robot, not at all upset her son has vanished into thin air. Guess it just happens all the time, huh? Also, the anachronisms are humerous as well. This is the early 1900's, I presume and we have electric chords in the scenario. Guess it happens all the time in the world of HOG games. The one thing I do like is the ability to choose between HOG scenes and Match 3. This is similar to Thursday's CE which allowed you the option to play either Mah Jong or look for hidden objects. Personally I like the switch up. Personally, I hate HOG scenes. Most of them are junk piles and very boring. If this is new trend, keep it up. A very ho hum game to me. Holidays are approaching along with the new exciting Tesla game from Nancy Drew. I am gong to pass on this one. I still have several games to complete. For a first time dev, this is a fairly decent gme.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 7, 12 10:47 AM
I am happy I didn't read some of the other fishes comments or wouldn't have came out with such a positive review. I liked the game and thought it had some great graphics, the voice overs were good. The game played well and had no problems with it. I still have 20 min to go and will go back to finish. The storyline is good and wondering what kind of thing is out there? Well back to the game and will come back with my final comment. Finished the trial and it was enjoyable. Like the different characters and voices of each. I don't think their are too many HOG's but I like them. Puzzles, only have done 2 of them and they were easy enough for me. Seems like it will be a fun game to play. Will give this 3 out of 5 stars..

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 11:28:59 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 7, 12 12:33 PM
This dev is not familiar to me, but there are a lot of them out there. If they are new, not a bad first showing. Same old story line, but the graphics are very nice and so is the game play. Music isn't bad either...didn't get tired of listening to it.

HOGs interesting in that you could solve them two different ways. A little change now and then is nice. Games simple. There was no map, which would have been extremely helpful and save a lot of shoe leather.

Hint system nice, SG was good (don't know how many chapters, again), but if you aren't going to have a "jump" map, then give us a little direction to save time, e.g. back two, down one, up three, and into pub, etc.

Two things I didn't care for. Too many keys to find..wow! Everything is behind a locked door or cabinet that has a missing handle or knob. A bit much. Really didn't care for the flash of light you got when you find an item in the HOG. Very distracting.

All in all, a pretty nice game, but would like to know how long it is before I decide to buy. This will go into my puddle until I decide whether to buy or not. As always, give it a try and decide for yourself. We all have different tastes in games and you may like it a lot. Thanks for the reviews.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Oct 7, 12 1:54 PM
Well, I like this game, and am on the fence as to whether or not to buy the CE or wait for the standard version to come out. It is a quieter, easier game than some of the later ones but I kind of like that as it doesn't take as much brain power to play it as the others. And at my age I have to be cautious with the grey cells.

The music is soothing and the graphics good, I enjoy them. Also the hidden object scenes that are really not too many and are fairly easy, despite the streaming sunlight that comes in through the windows. I have played games where the shadows were so deep I had to use hints to locate objects.

All in All, it is just a game. I feel lthe Mother expressed her concern in the journal and it might be that the voice didn't express that enough but a lot of games have implausible situations and reactions. The young boy did 'sort of' invite the Mother into his room and while going there, she 'happened' to pick up a couple of items necessary to acomplish her tasks.

Before I decide whether to purchase now or not, I'll finish the trial and keep reading the reviews and comments. It is most helpful to me in making up my mind by the thoughts of others here in the pond.

Thanks for all your posts!

Liking the game in OKC...ladygem

Go to: