Cheating?

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Oct 7, 12 8:32 AM
I swear this game cheats!

On medium level, against all three opponents on AI, I have found:

They trade with each other, to gain advantage and get all three properties, quickly, offering each other huge advantages, all against me. But if I offer the same trade, they will not accept. ie I wanted Old Kent Rd/Brown to get both, the opponent refused, no matter what I offered. Another player wanted my brown, so I exchanged it and AS SOON as they got brown, they gave it back to the other player who had the other brown, so they had both.

The luck of them landing of properties is beyond belief. ie Same player landing on two stations, one throw after the other and getting all four stations within 5 minutes of the game starting.

They will virtually not trade with me, no matter what I offer.

Their offers to me are insulting exchanges: ie £88 for one of the more expensive green properties. Or offering me a cheap property that doesn't really advantage me, but they want the one off me that completes their three. Okay, it's fair enough to ask, but they will not negotiate for something better.

I know the concept of the increasingly harder levels should mean the above, but it goes from "easy" level where I wipe the floor with them easily, to something vastly different with them taking the p*ss.

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 8:32:59 AM PST

Re:Cheating?

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Oct 8, 12 3:42 PM
It absolutely does cheat. It's completely improbable for the AI to get doubles and land on GO as often as it does and yet...
Also, gets adventageous Chance or Community Chest cards nearly every time but I get all the awful ones plus it virtually never lands on tax spots but I do constantly.

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Oct 9, 12 2:01 AM
One of them got all four stations (in 5 minutes) and charged me £400 for landing on one! It's only supposed to be £200 and then another player landed on one, and it only charged it £200!

The "luck" the AI gets is just lazy programming.

Edited on 10/09/2012 at 2:02:06 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Cheating?

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Oct 9, 12 7:13 PM
Sorry, I don't believe a bit of it--that is, the conclusions. The evidence I'm entirely willing to believe.

If you landed on a railway by getting a Chance card, you pay double the going rate because that's what the card says, which is 400 when the same player owns all 4 lines.

As I've written in another thread, the amount of hair's breadth escapes I and an AI opponent both got from landing on each other's hotels were completely improbable in a sequence of at least a dozen rolls, maybe more. But improbable is by definition NOT impossible.

If you keep records over, say, 50 games and find that the number of landings on Income Tax is significantly different for the AIs than for you, I'll listen. If you find that over a dozen games or fewer, I'll say "randomness" and mean it.

The same for the cards. There are in fact more advantageous cards than awful ones, and I've seen an AI pay 800 for its hotels while I've paid nothing getting the corresponding card from the opposite pile. AND vice versa, of course.

The AIs do indeed trade w/ each other all the time. But nearly always, they're trading properties. See my remarks in the "Difficulty Levels" thread, http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/225035.page of this forum, for how to take advantage the same as they do of what I consider foolish axioms but that the game designers apparently found wise.

I've on occasion managed to do the same kind of insulting exchanges you mention. I always start w/ a ridiculously high make-up amt when I'm offering a more expensive property for a cheaper one (or ridiculously low when it's vice versa) and very often get what I want as a far better deal than a human would give me. They don't get insulted if I offer a dozen or more amts in a row, and they never seem to see a pattern developing.

Occasionally, I admit, nothing will move the AI to trade for no clear reason. And sometimes (not often) they offer ridiculous deals I really can't refuse.

And sometimes they make a thoroughly disadvantageous counter-offer. When the disadvantage is to them, of course I snap it up.

Speaking of counter-offers: Once an AI gives you one, there's no sense trying to modify it; they seem always to be take it or leave it.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Cheating?

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Oct 10, 12 12:39 PM
I just wrote:Speaking of counter-offers: Once an AI gives you one, there's no sense trying to modify it; they seem always to be take it or leave it.
Wrong again! I don't know how much you can modify them, but I just upped $20 to 22 (down from my ridiculous suggested 222), and wished I'd tried for more!

And knocked $283 down to $255.

Edited on 10/10/2012 at 1:30:12 PM PST

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Oct 10, 12 1:11 PM
Hi Fishies,

I've also noticed that some trades can be modified quite a bit. Most times, I've seen that they'll offer money along with a property. If you remove the money, sometimes you can get away with a second property, or you can work them for a bit more cash. At some point, you'll hit their threshold, but you can try arranging the trades to your liking to see what you'll get away with.

As far as the AI trading properties amongst each other, I don't see too much of a difference in their behavior game to game. Basically, they want to get the quickest monopoly on a certain color, and are willing to give away a monopoly to get it. This usually happens as soon as an advantageous trade presents itself. I generally try to buy one of each color (if I get some good rolls), just to have an upper hand on trading later.

Happy gaming,

bfgSeine

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Oct 24, 12 8:32 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but the game often seems to get extraordinary good luck.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 26, 12 6:37 AM
ElizabethR1533 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but the game often seems to get extraordinary good luck.

I fully agree with you, ER. When I demoed this game, the AI kept getting doubles with the dice, whereas I had none. And I had the "cheat" deactivated.

I have seen this with other board/card games, where when you play against another "person", they often have the better hand. It's not so much cheating but the way the games were programmed, programmed to win or at least get ahead of you. LOL

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Oct 26, 12 4:11 PM
the game is the most fun with just yourself and one computer player... and turn off the auction.

kore21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by kore21 on Nov 2, 12 1:06 AM
the repetition of numbers (luck) is more common in games because they use pseudo-random programs instead of "true" random numbers... appears to be a "floor" random conde than a ceiling because of the vast repetition of 6's i get (floor codes tend to hit the last number a lot, & 6 is the highest dice number). only way to really hide this is to reset the random seed regularly, which i don't think they doing. but it's not much different than character AI getting redundant, really.

& yes, the AI is really dumb sometimes, they will trade away a plot so the other gets a color & bam, up go the hotels. bad, bad. the easy level does a lot of dumb things. like they land on a railroad & don't buy it.

on the other hand, sometimes the AI refuses to cheat. i offered a piece of property for $1, which it'd wanted the whole game. & it refused to buy the land for $1. i was just trying to keep him alive longer by letting it have a color group. but the AI concluded it was going to lose..?

Go to: