bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Farmington Tales

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 9, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Farmington Tales ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Farmington Tales page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Farmington Tales

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 9, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Oct 9, 12 12:50 AM
This game is not a hidden object adventure game, so I tried to review it for what it is. It's mostly straight hidden object scenes, although you also grow things on a farm and run the farm (feed animals, make repairs). Additionally, there are some puzzles to do. It's a lot like Tales of Lagoona, and is by the same developer.

You're given the task of winning a farmer of the year award in order to pay back a large loan. The farm is in disrepair, so you need to make money to purchase upgrades to make your farm the best it can be. Using the money you make in the hidden object scenes and from selling your crops at a farmer's market, you can repair farm buildings, build new structures, buy new plots, get new farm animals, upgrade things like soil quality, seed quality, farmer's market prices, etc.

Pros:
-Cute graphics, though they're not quite the best.
- The story is a little corny, but in a good way.
- Interesting concept, mixing hidden object scenes with a sort of farm simulator.
- Music isn't obtrusive, though it's not great.
- There are quests to accomplish, like finding a violin for someone in one of the H0 scenes and then "returning" it to them.
- Trophies!
- In each H0 scene, there is a bar at the top with little mini-quests, like find three items in a row in reverse alphabetical order, or find five items listed left to right in your to-find-items list. They're completely optional (although you get extra money for them), but they add something interesting.

Cons:
- Some hidden object scenes are really cluttered. Additionally, there are gems to collect in these scenes, and some are super small.
- Items in the H0 scenes will "auto-find" sometimes, meaning they will sparkle if you let them sit for a little while in your list. It's not that annoying, but it is a little weird, since there's already a hint button if you get stuck. Most of the time I didn't really notice the sparkles, so it wasn't a total deal-breaker.

Some might consider this game "outdated," but I'm finding it very fun and relaxing.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 9, 12 12:55 AM
Morning, all...

Today's game is a farming game where you plant crops, and sell them, to make money, so you can rebuild your farm, and pay off your loan.

You also make money when doing one of the many HOS (hidden object scenes).
Each HOS has side-tasks, which will earn you extra money, one of them is to find 3 jewels in each HOS.

Every so often, you will also have to do a puzzle. SKIP button is filled instantly.

You can choose between the custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a 4.3 Ratio button, and when not ticked, the image is supposed to stretch over your widescreen monitor. I tried both, ticking and unticking - didn't make a difference.

You can tick or untick the Tutorial.

There is a lot of things going on here, which makes this game far more interesting than the usual "farming" games.

Graphics are nicely done, but the HOS leave a lot to be desired. I barely found the jewels in each HOS I have played so far. They are not standing out very well.
I also find that the HOS are somewhat crowded and because you have to cover quite a big area when searching for objects, it makes it that much harder to find them.

Anyway... I will have a think about this game. Not sure if I am interested enough in it to buy it. But to those gamers who love this game: have lots of fun.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 9, 12 1:55 AM

Edited on 10/09/2012 at 4:54:58 AM PST

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Oct 9, 12 5:19 AM
This game is awesome! Definite buy for me. Widescreen, graphics are okay, and I just love the whole gameplay/storyline component of the game. Brilliant idea developers!!!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 9, 12 11:24 AM
I agree with Mary.

My thing with HOGs these days are they are not hidden objects- you just click on the screen at the objects staring you in the face- huh!

so a game that does not only have true hidden objects but fun quests like finding items in alphabet order or find 3 items in a row from left to right gives some challenge to it - and the in between farming stuff- although not necessary is nice to play along with and easy enough as you just click and play.

Nice game with interesting twists for a change of pace

12george
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by 12george on Oct 9, 12 1:19 PM

Edited on 10/11/2012 at 4:54:48 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Oct 9, 12 3:14 PM
Fun little game! I like this sort - ones with a nifty "task list" and "worthy cause" lol. Was initially bummed the H0 scenes weren't timed (yes...I'm a mental patient and DO enjoy the occassional timed hunt!) - but it seems like there is going to be lots & lots to do in this game that is time sensitive (planting, harvesting, watering, feeding...just like rl ) - so I got over that no timed H0 dissapointment fast!

For me the game is running well so far - but does seem some are having issues - darn. I did buy & will post in tech thread if I find myself up the same creek!

Give it a try before day's end - I did use a free game credit & with an extra punch for buying today - it was a win/win for me!

Happy Gaming!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Oct 9, 12 4:04 PM
Sadly, my game froze too. A no buy. The game was cute and it will mostly please those who like a lot of HOG scenes because from the little I played it seems like just one after another and the items are small and almost impossible to see. I couldn't even see them after the hint circled the area. While some are out in the open. The jewel findings are a nice perk.

A very cute game and I'd buy it if I liked regular HOG Scenes better and if it hadn't froze up on me.

I have to say, it was a clever idea and very different from the normal game play. We do need games that are a bit different. Getting into a rut here with same old, same old.

HiLupe
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by HiLupe on Oct 9, 12 4:16 PM
I demo'd this game and enjoyed it very much. This will be a buy for me!

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Oct 9, 12 4:38 PM
Oh, my goodness! What fun! I never thought I would spend so many hours playing a many hidden object scenes game. But as I worked through the game and kept expanding my farm with no time pressure what-so-ever, I find myself loving this game more and more. I'm even getting good at finding the three little jewels in each HOS. I bought this as a break from HOPAs, which I do need now and then. Not only that I got a free punch tp fill a card. Thank you BF!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Oct 9, 12 8:10 PM
I wanted to like this... I love games where you earn money to fix stuff up... or as in this case farm and buy upgrades such as the amount of water a field can hold before you have to water it again etc. That part is fun.

But the H0 scenes are just cluttered (almost junkpile but at least no giant paperclips) and you only have a partial list at a time which is obnoxious. Plus some of the items are small and hidden behind other things and have a very touchy pixel setting (if you don't click in just the right spot on the item it doesn't register). The fact that it doesn't fill widescreen is just the last nail in the coffin.

Two stars... only because it's not the worst game out there.

Eoarod wrote:

Give it a try before day's end - I did use a free game credit & with an extra punch for buying today - it was a win/win for me!

Just FYI: They don't give bonus punches if you use a coupon. But it's hidden in the fine print... you have to click TWICE to get to the explanation page:

http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1996

Edited on 10/09/2012 at 8:16:50 PM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 10, 12 5:19 AM
Great graphics, not too difficult mini-games such as pipes, finding locks etc, (except mines, I skip this). Objects and jewels are hard to find, and very small, or disappear towards the corner. Straight HOS with the ability for you to upgrade various parts of the farm, such as seeds, storage, etc

Fun? Not really. Its good for a lazy afternoon. The game is slightly better Farmscape, worst off than Garden scape, despite the nice looking golden retriever. Was it gardenscape had a dog too? Quest can be completed to earn extra $.

Beg for a gift or get free from library or whatever, dont waste your stamps, unless u need some HOS therapy with a golden retriever finding bombs, buying stuff for your farm etc. Otherwise BFG got 1 for 1 deal sometimes, and Halloween is around the corner, so used your stamps for CE games instead

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Oct 10, 12 9:34 AM
we did not care for the HOS, objects were too small and cluttered.--------doug & lisa

essgee52
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by essgee52 on Oct 10, 12 10:42 AM
I liked it and have bought it after the demo. I, too, like the relaxed pace, plus there really is a variety of things to do, not just HOS. There are crops to plant and harvest, animals and other things to buy, quests to accept and bonuses to achieve in the HOS. Am hoping there is more to come. I especially like the pace and no pressure of the game.

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Oct 10, 12 2:52 PM
I feel the same as others. Hidden object scenes were cluttered, objects dificult tofind, gems so small that you end up with your nose right up by the screen to see them.

On theother hand I did enjoy the game itself as it is fun even though it was corny.

Shame really. i would like to have bought it but got to frustrated with it when trying to find things.

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Oct 11, 12 2:43 PM
i did like the demo but i'll probably wait and get it with a free punch sometime. the concept was nice as far as the gameplay goes. i like the back and forth from hidden object scene to building up your farm. the hidden object scenes were a little junky tho and the gems you can "find" were not so findable for me. also i have to adjust my screen because the game screen is too large and i can't see it all as some of it goes below the bottom. i really don't like having to do that but oh well. the game also did freeze up on me once when i got out of an object scene and went to water my crops, then almost instantly a dialogue screen popped up pertaining to the story line and the whole thing froze and i couldn't do what it was asking for. the cons weren't enough for me to overall dislike the game but they were enough to keep me from getting it today, which means i might even forget to buy it later lol. it's worth trying tho to see for yourself.

happy gaming~

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Oct 12, 12 3:12 AM
I loved this one. It combines a farm simulator with a hidden object game where you get money from finding objects and use money to upgrade your farm - like Gardenscapes or Lagoona.

It has the same wonderful sense of humor and puns on pop culture as Lagoona. My favorite was Don't Cry for Me, Farmer Gina.

This game really lets you decide how you want to play! Since you get money from both hidden object scenes and from farming, you can play lots of hidden object scenes and do little farming, play the farm simulator a lot and do few hidden object scenes, or whatever combination is just right for you. You choose from three different custom cursors, can easily make the "Are you SURE you want to exit?" prompt go away, etc. If you like lots of activity and clicking, don't upgrade water level. You always have a choice of at least three places to search for hidden objects.

Several people have commented on the smallness of the gems. Compared to other games with hidden gems, I thought these were huge and very distinct. None of the hidden object were tiny or hidden behind another object.

If you are turned off by the click-and-drag method of moving around the farm, don't despair. Once you have all the fields planted and have found the secret trophy, the only reason to pan around the farm is one of the mini-games. Otherwise, clicking on the information icons will zoom you right to whereever you need to go.

I'd love to see more simulator/hidden object games. This one was a real treat. They really paid attention to details, like making the hidden object scenes really look like you were zooming in to a closeup of an area on the farm. Hats off to the developers for creating something different, fun, original, well-designed, and intelligent.

HiLupe
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by HiLupe on Oct 13, 12 9:50 AM
I bought this one right away as I had demoed it and loved it. I found this game to be thoroughly enjoyable and had no problems with the HOS's. The fact that nothing is timed makes for a relaxing game. The mini-games were fun and I even found the background music to be just right. I played for hours and hours before finishing the game. This is one that I'll be able to play over and over.

I also enjoyed Tales from Lagoona very much and will be looking for more games from this dev.

Go to: