bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Trackers: Four Aces Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 11, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery Trackers: Four Aces Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mystery Trackers: Four Aces Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 10/11/2012 at 12:36:51 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Trackers: Four Aces Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 11, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 11, 12 12:52 AM
Played 20 minutes, casual

- 4 modes, casual, advanced, hardcore, detective
- Integrated SG that stays on the page you leave
- 8 chapters + bonus play, bonus mini games in the extras
- Voice overs
- You collect tokens throughout the game, you can use them in the dog shop, you have to go to main menu to access the shop
- Morphing furry creatures to collect throughout the game
- Little dog Elf is here to help you
- You've got your faithful, useful toad hint
- Skip button
- H0, you interact
- Good, not too difficult mini games (only came across 2 during the 20 minutes I played so it might get harder !)
- Music a bit loud
- Excellent graphics as always

Crazy scientists have created half men/animal creatures, town has been evacuated, your here to help...will you succeed ???? This looks like a very good game, as all Mystery Trackers, an instant buy for me, couldn't exit the game fast enough !

I have now finished the game and I just want to add that I've loved it but that I have been extremely disappointed by the bonus play, short and added nothing to the game Could have done just as well with the SE

Edited on 10/13/2012 at 2:21:43 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 11, 12 1:01 AM
Morning, all...

This Review may contain some Spoilers, so... beware.

There are 8 Chapters, plus the Bonus Chapter, plus some Bonus Mini-games.

There are 4 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore, and Detective mode.

This game has Widescreen.

There is a choice of Custom and System cursor.

There is Voice-over.

The MAP, which can also be used to jump, is at the left.

When the map is open, there is a reel next to it, and you can replay previously shown cut scenes.

At the right is the SG (strategy guide), as is your HINT button, which is in form of that by now familiar Mr. Frog.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are highly interactive.

The HINT button, which also works beautifully outside of the HOS, takes about 30 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button fills instantly in Casual mode.

Throughout the game, you will find chips, which you collect and then take to the Dog Shop to buy stuff for "Elf".

You will also get a little helper called "Elf". Won't say more...

There are also Morphing Creatures to find. Much more fun than the usual morphing objects you can barely see.

--- --- ---

The graphics are, as always with Elephant Games, very well done.

I love the gameplay - it's interesting and fun - and there are lots of things to do and see. This is definitely a buy for me.

--- --- ---

Just wanted to add that when you start the game, the GM disappears, but will come back when you exit the game.

Edited on 10/11/2012 at 3:08:14 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 11, 12 2:20 AM
I am tickled with this game. All of the above, and just want to say that the morphing objects in this one are not only seeable, but fit the story line, and are fun to find. And the puzzles...oh yes, clever. So far all of the ones I encountered are doable, but some take a bit of figuring out. These are also done in a fun way, rather than just tedious frustration, if you know what I mean. Elephant games is right up there in my top ranking of devs. Thanks for bringing us another good one!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 11, 12 2:55 AM
Elephant Games is one of the top developers we have in casual gaming, and this game is a perfect example of exactly why that is so:

-gorgeous graphics as always.
-interesting story, this time involving science run amuck filling an unfortunate town with all manner of scary looking beasts.
-completely filled with things to do, in addition to the usual CE content
-voiceovers well done
-beautiful interactive HOS
-innovation such as:
----a "dog house" so you can properly equip your helper
----puzzles that are different (and challenging!)
----morphing objects that are "creatures", and, as Valdy has already pointed out, more fun to discover
----a hint system outside the HOS that interacts with the player
-and, of course, WIDESCREEN!! When you see a game like this (among several others) in WS, and think about the devs that don't have it, it's like comparing HDTV to black and white tubes that used to fill our living rooms. Kudos to Elephant for their recent switch to this.
-interactive map
-a "Detective" mode for hard core gamers that I've not seen before
-and the bells and whistles go on and on. Each new game from Elephant offers something new and innovative. This dev is obviously not content to simply rehash, re-use, and rest on their laurels offering the same things again and again. They have chosen to lead, not follow.

It's games like this one that keeps all of us hooked on these games, and make casual gaming the delightful and entertaining experience that it is for so many of us. Games like this one are what keep us coming back for more, and, for some of us, coming to Big Fish every day at the appointed time to see what's new. Excellent job, devs, and keep 'em coming!!

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Oct 11, 12 4:39 AM
Good morning everyone Psssst.. Hey you come here yeah you come here. I see your coming to visit our little town for a while, pretty town ain't it well let me tell you something about this pretty town what you see now is not what you see when you get in once you get in everything changes. I tried to tell the others but they wouldn't listen they said I was crazy that's why I'm locked up in this cage cause they don't want me talking to anybody they know I know the truth and they don't want the truth to get out, but you look like a good soul and I would hate for something to happen to you so listen close. This use to be a beautiful town happy people, beautiful scenery, nice shops well I'd say this was just about the most beautiful place in the world but one day that starting changing not big changes at first subtle changes little things that most folk wouldn't pick up on but I did, so I watched and I waited cause each day something else changed then all of a sudden the animals changed, then some of the people changed, tourist went missing, businesses closed that's when everyone else started noticing the changes then I tried to tell them but they wouldn't listen but maybe you will everything changed the day he came to town, but don't take my word for it play this game see for yourself it's lots of fun and it might help you get out of here in one piece.

Holy Catfish what a game ! Elephant has done it again another masterpiece. Nothing but eye candy here. Gorgeous graphics, nice voice overs, live actors, good music everything just fits with this one. Great story that just pulls you right in from the get go. Beautiful wintery town with snow all over and all kinds of things going on. This game is jam packed with eye candy and fun while still making you wonder what's around the next corner, it keeps you on the edge of your seat and you just want more.

Lots of collectibles coins, morphing furry animals very cool, and a cute helper Elf. This was a quick buy for me. The search scenes are interactive, crisp graphics so things are easy to find. The puzzles have been cool so far not bad at all. The hint button is really helpful and there is a map. I can't say one negative thing about this game it has it all and is well worthy of a ce. Give the demo a shot I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thank you Elephant for another masterpiece and thank you Big Fish for another gorgeous adventure. Have fun everybody !

Edited on 10/11/2012 at 9:01:02 AM PST

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Oct 11, 12 6:22 AM
I am on the fence as to whether or not it's a buy for me after doing the trial. Yes, the graphics were stunning and beautiful without question, but the scenes were just way too busy and cluttered that it made searching the scenes overwhelming and frustrating given all the distractions....beautiful yes, but the scenes were just way too busy for me.
Also, the storyline was just not sparking my attention still by the end of the trial...just felt like it was dragging along where it should have picked up by that point. The worst irritation was the dog shop and the whining dog that never stopped whining...just made me want to not go there and when i did i couldn't exit and leave fast enough.
For me, way too much went into graphics and not the storyline or the execution of the gameplay. The wow factor of the graphics just didn't match up with the rest of the game play expectations. Think i might consider this one when i can get it at a discount or se version.

Edited on 10/11/2012 at 6:25:05 AM PST

[Post New]by Jadaxious on Oct 11, 12 6:50 AM
I played the beta for this game just a few days ago. One puzzle all but drove me mad, so I ended up skipping it completely. There was a lot of back and forth so get out your most comfy sneakers. I'd figured out who the monster was by the third scene, so that wasn't much of a surprise. Thank you developers for Mr Frog. Without him I would have been wandering around lost more than once. You get the map a little bit into the game, and it is quite good about letting you know where there are things to be done. It is a definite buy for me.

Jad

JellyRage
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JellyRage on Oct 11, 12 9:51 AM
I absolutely LOVE all the previous Mystery Trackers games, so this is a definate buy. Very excited to see this today! Enjoy!

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Oct 11, 12 11:26 AM
Well, Elephant Games has done it again!! Thanks BFG for brining us this great sequel. I loved all the other Mystery Trackers, and this one is no exception.

The graphics are really terrific and of the quality always provided by this dev. If there was one thing I would change, it would be the difficulty of some of the puzzles but that might be just me. I ended up skipping the first two because I couldn't get them - maybe it is just my brain power LOL. Subsequent puzzles have been easier and I've not skipped them.

I am enjoying the story and having fun collecting the poker chips so I can buy my hardworking, trusty friend some well-earned goodies. I also like the morphing objects and info bits that come with them.

Thanks again BF, we have had some great games recently. This one was a buy for me without even a demo, and it's lived up to my expectations.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 11, 12 11:38 AM
REVIEW ON FINISHED GAME

Another great game from elephant (and big fish was in the credits as well) and maybe the best of the four mystery trackers (this is more like raincliff. Games in order it’s the void, ranicliff, black aisle) This is why I don’t often give out 5 stars and a recommendation for CEs as they are expensive and they really have to be worth it to earn it.

Usually developers gives you the best in the demo and by the time the end comes, it’s not as good. Elephant are very unusual as I find it gets even better as it goes along. The quality never wavers, gives you a good amount of new areas and holds my easily bored attention throughout.

The usual elephant signature of never repeating HOS, no random click penalty, great cutscenes, transporter map (in later games) with tips in it, a lot of adventure and not that many HOS makes them my favourite DEV along with their graphics.
Here you have a choice of four modes to play – added detective one which is the same as the 3rd but mouse icon doesn’t change if you get to an interactive area. You can change hardness during play. There is the usual live actors and I’d say apart from 2 scenes the lip synch was OK (mostly didn’t speak!)

Ratio you can see is a lot of adventure and not so much HOS or puzzles but a lot of interactions, which is my personal preference as I love the adventure side.

PROS

-Transporter map
-Amazing cutscenes
-Unique plot
-Lot of adventure
-Morphs were fun and part of background plot
-Collectables (poker chips which you use on elf your dog – dog house, such interactive fun when you click on the item you buy!)
-ALL puzzles in main game are unlocked
-Only play a HOS once (other devs are lazy when they repeat and pad their games out by repeating them) and not many
-Replay all cutscenes
-Not auto instructions for puzzles, click button if you want instructions

to be continued

Edited on 10/11/2012 at 2:12:35 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 11, 12 11:39 AM
continued

slight CONS
(feedback)

-Black bar tips on hardest mode
-Puzzles were mostly easy and mostly not that original or got a twist on them compared to their other games but still enjoyed them!
-HOS in some of their other games are more crystal clear and sharp
-Would have loved some achievements to take it over the top
-Although better than some other games, still need to work on lip synch with live actors
-Would have liked some harder morphs as they were all very easy to see

15 PUZZLES

Mostly easy, some medium hardness (3 out of 5 for hardness) I enjoyed the move the ball down the path but that was made so easy by limited choice of arrows to use. The suitcase/flag is one of my favourites. You don't repeat any.

15 HOS

No random click penalty on any mode, all list, interactive – had some mini games in them, never repeat. While I found them well defined they weren’t as crystal clear and sharp as in some of their other games. Also there is light in some of them making it hard to see some as well as some very small items.

CE EXTRAS

-16 morph creatures (very easy)
-Collectables (poker chips to spend on interactive ‘elf’ dog house – really fun)
-ALL of their 16 mini games are unlocked (two part puzzle is separated here)
-8 wallpaper
-11 concept art
-6 music
-Bonus video (out takes and some shots ‘behind the scenes’ (love these)
-Screensaver
-SG
-bonus play

CE BONUS PLAY

95% was in old area, with some added things and interactions added in them. The quality and length was there although the opening live actor cutscene had the worst lip synch in the whole game. It was a bonus/extra storyline as the SE was 100% tied up. At the end of the bonus *it could be setting up part of a plotline for the next game with a character?*
The same thought and quality in the main game was in the bonus with a lot of adventure and interactive things to do. So many times sadly I find it isn’t.

(numbers are in addition to above)
4 HOS
4 Puzzles (one of them was the great type of visual movement jigsaw that was in surface:noise)

TIME – 6 hrs
(no skipping, no hints but did switch a few times from detective mode to get hints on map) This is a harder mode than I usually play (no hints or skips) so it may be slighter longer.

BONUS – Plus over another 1hr

(over 7hrs in total)

Edited on 10/11/2012 at 2:14:48 PM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

I seem to be the only one who didn't like it! (spoilers)

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 11, 12 12:40 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:Huh...I seem to be the only one who wasn't impressed by it. There are a few small spoilers... in beige text below.
I played on the advanced mode. I like it a bit easy when I try so I can progress faster and see what its like.
The puzzles were pretty hard! The HOS not so hard. I didn't need any hints. The HOS had nice interactive features.
The thing I didn't like about the game was the objects being used right away, in obvious ways. Need to cut something? Well, here's some handy broken glass! Need a key, there it is! Oh, no! I need to cut something else! Well, looky there, under the snow!
I found it disappointing to see a chip to collect just as I left a scene, or picked up an object, since you are unable to go back to get it. I don't know how buying things with them works, so I don't see how it fits into the game. If it doesn't, what's the point and why do it? Of course, if I don't want to buy a hamster wheel, or dog dish, I guess I don't have to collect poker chips. Poker chips? Why not just coins, since it isn't a card game related story?
As to the dog. If a chihuahua can dig up things, why can't I?

I won't even consider buying the CE.

You are no the only one. My impression after the demo…
Well, I'm a little disappointed. Widescreen, but the artwork isn't quite up to snuff for this series.There are no achievements -- something that was prominent in the last two Mystery Trackers. Other things seem routine so far, but that could change.

The story is presented with excellent voice over narration -- like old time radio mysteries. But it is quite odd, and perhaps nothing like it seems. A town named Brightfield is evacuated after it is over run by very strange animals and hit with snow and freezing temperatures.. You have met one lone human survivor who missed the bus out of town, and seen a sasquatch like monster chasing her. She is a live actor, but has not yet spoken.

I saw 2 puzzles --- they were, um, colorful

I also saw 2 HOS -- junk pile, interactive, one scene had a cute twist to one of the items. But again, the artwork was fuzzy, distinctions were doable but not really fun.

There is an interactive map with varying degrees of help depending on mode of play. There is no journal.

Activities…
Find chips to buy your faithful and helpful dog items in the dog shop. You need 25 to buy the first item; he will interact with them. TBC

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 11, 12 12:43 PM
continued…
This is an extra activity that doesn't seem to help the story along at all. The dog goes with you; he hasn't been much help so far.

Find 16 morphing creatures. Each time you find one you will learn about them. Above the info sign is a sign that says "Extra Clues". Those clues must be in the very, very fine print, or very well disguised (Mensa level) in the description.

Inventory items and tasks -- um, yes, well of course there are those.

I so wanted to like this game. I played the whole demo hour and it was getting a bit better, but I wasn't compelled to hit "Buy" when it quit.

One odditiy -- When you do go to the in game menu and click to return to the game, you get the choice of continue or reset. Seriously -- how far into a HOPA would you actually reset and start over? Wouldn't you just make a new profile? Given this game has no achievements, it's not like you'ld miss a trophy for forgetting and using a hint in a HO scene. It just seems strange.

[Post New]by Frog_Muncher on Oct 11, 12 1:30 PM
Typical Elephant Games, Typical Mystery Trackers... lots of snow a la Raincliff... what more can I say? LOVE IT.

I am playing this game with my (8 yr old) son and we are both enchanted. Usual high quality graphics from this dev, the usual puzzles and finds... plus some really interesting (OK: weird) animal things - assuming these are collectible for the CE only as in the owls/frogs etc from prev. games? Love them anyway!!!

If you are a Mystery Trackers fan, this won't disappoint. We ran out of time as opposed to finishing the demo. This usually indicates a good, long game. Of course, an 8 year old as a partner to my detective MIGHT have influenced this.... My son is GREAT at some of the puzzles, tbh, and didn't slow me down, so I have to give in to his demands to BUY this game so we can play and finish together And Elf is so cool!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 11, 12 2:01 PM
Review approx halfway through playing the main game ...

Well I did something I haven't done for a long, long time and that was to buy a CE without even demoing it and my faith in the Mystery Trackers series was fully justified as I am really enjoying it, especially as there isn't a hidden object scene round every corner.

After downloading the first thing I tried was to set some wallpaper and it did so instantaneously, thank you for listening EG .

I loved the ...

Gorgeous graphics.
Good voiceovers.
Puzzles that aren't too hard so that I have to skip them.
The interactive hidden object scenes especially because they were original scenes each time. (I did have to sit further away from the screen once where there were several candles in the centre of the screen which made it a bit awkward to see what objects were by them.)
The dog shop.
Playing with Elf, the poor is worn out . (I must have had my sound set differently to DeAnna as I didn't hear him whining or he wouldn't have got his ball so often LOL.)
The creativity of whoever came up with the different morphing animal combinations (some would be very useful as companions in future games ).

Sorry but I wasn't very keen on the music and turned that off.

I'm looking forward to being able to play more tomorrow when real life permits .

Cherb

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Oct 11, 12 3:29 PM
Brilliant as always - if for some reason you don't have all the MT games - take advantage of the sale (we allll bundle...)!!

Only negative - my nemesis - the floaty cursor! I'm only semi crabby (crab on the half shell?) as there are no achievements so super click speed isn't key (though - if they have a Whack a Morph game - I'm outta luck ) - still it's a drag (literally?) as the game is soooo awesome otherwise!

Of course I'd have bought it just for Elf & the Dog House? Cherry on the doggie sundae! - love the morph collection too! I'll suffer through no achievements with these to keep me occupied!

I'm a tad wary of the number of posts in tech thread - but diving in anyway & purchased!

Too excited about playing to write more - Happy Gaming!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Oct 11, 12 6:10 PM
I guess I'm in the minority because I didn't like this game at all. First of all, yes the graphics are clear as a bell until you get to the HOG scene... then what happens to the sharpness?

Secondly, the HOG's are nothing but interactive junk piles. As long as everyone buys these games up the dev's won't change the HOGS. Very disappointing.

The story is good, the graphics in the game are very good. But the HOG scenes give me a major headache. I pass.

emwenz
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by emwenz on Oct 11, 12 6:15 PM
Elephant games! no one beats their graphics and use of light. Puzzles are challenging but not too hard. Morphing objects are fun...collecting tokens to buy stuff kind of silly but still OK. I love love Elephant, no tech issues and plays like a dream. A must buy.

Go to: