machamc
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

Warning!!! Game shuts down open programs

[Post New]by machamc on Oct 15, 12 11:54 AM
I played the demo and really enjoyed it and was going to buy it.

I usually have other programs open in the background so I can play a while and switch back to something else. On this occasion, I had Outlook Express, IE and an Excel spreadsheet that I was working on open. When the game shut down after the demo ended, it closed all those programs down. The frustrating thing was that the info I had entered on my spreadsheet was GONE.

I have never had anything like this happen before with ANY other game and I have been doing the same thing for years now. I will have to decide whether it is worth closing everything down to play this game for a while and then have to open them up again.

If you do the same thing I do, be careful not to lose your work when trying out this game.

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

Re:Warning!!! Game shuts down open programs

[Post New]by stingstungme on Oct 15, 12 12:31 PM
Are you sure it was related to the game?

It could have been just a random error unrelated to the game.
I bought the game from the developer's site when it debuted and have played through it completely twice. I'm trying to get all the awards for the second trip.

Perhaps the specs on your computer are not high enough to handle the load of all the open programs.

I always have a ton of things going on in the background.

Just for the heck of it, I opened up Fate on (WT) and Island Tribe (BF).

I already had Northern Tale, Firefox and Google Chrome opened with multiple tabs and nothing crashed.

It could either be specs or just a random fluke.

I'm using a laptop btw. Laptops love to overheat but I'm using an Asus which rarely ever overheats or get hot.

(No I don't work for Asus.) lol

Edited on 10/15/2012 at 12:51:07 PM PST

machamc
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by machamc on Oct 15, 12 12:54 PM
Thanks for your input but I think it had to be the game. I had just done a restart of my computer before opening the other programs, done a little work on Excel and then downloaded and played Northern Tale. I have done this numerous times with other games and never had a problem.

I cannot reopen the game and try again because the demo time ran out and I am not about to buy the game just to try it out. As I said, no other game (or any other program for that matter) has ever done this to me before and I just don't trust it.

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Oct 16, 12 3:27 AM
Hi machamc,

I am really sorry you lost all your data.

If the demo time ran out and you are unable to open the game, I would encourage you to try uninstalling and reinstalling the game, as that normally helps.

Another tip would be to check if running a small update could help your games performance. Sometimes the trial expires because the game is unable to open and the advice in the help article here will improve your chances of the game opening.

I hope this helps!

bfgTokoro

Edited on 10/26/2012 at 6:19:35 AM PST

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jul 3, 13 2:40 AM
Posts like this could discourage potential buyers - it turns out to be untrue for other players, but the post is still here.
Should probably be removed becauuse sometimes people dont bother actually reading - they see the title & just assume its true.

Starchild6
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by Starchild6 on Feb 12, 14 2:06 PM
I agree with Yaelle. I often have a bunch of programs open when I play this, and my computer is aging. Never had a problem, and I've played both Northern Tale games over and over. Sounds like a problem specifically related to your computer, and I think this post should be under tech problems.

Go to: