bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 19, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 19, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 19, 12 12:54 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just swimming in to link to the reviews for the CE version of the game, in case it's helpful.

Just click here to jump right to them!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 10/19/2012 at 12:55:06 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 19, 12 12:55 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a Widescreen option. If it works for you... great.

Music, Sound, and Voice are separated.

Your NOTES are at the left. In here you can find entries and medical charts of the people you have to save.

Also at the left is your portable LAB in form of a suitcase. You can use it to mix different things, which will help you on your way.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) that I have encountered so far are all in form of silhouettes. You need to use items you find in the scene to get other items.
Love this particular HOS gameplay.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the iHOS, is at the right and, as usual, takes a little too long to refill - even in Casual mode.

Puzzles, which are once again easier than they used to be (thank you, ERS), can be skipped. The SKIP button also takes far too long to fill.

--- --- ---

Going only by the demo, I certainly liked this one better than the latest "Shadow Wolf Mysteries" game. However, I have too often been disappointed with the bonus game in the CEs of this particular developer, and have been waiting for the SE before buying.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 19, 12 12:54 PM
I have now finished the game, and must say that I loved every minute of it.

I very much enjoyed the variety of puzzles - so glad they are not as difficult as they used to be (not all of us are terribly good with puzzles, and these are hidden object games, not puzzle games, so I prefer it if the puzzles that are added are doable without having to resort to the Skip button).

I also liked the HOS, especially the fragmented ones and the ones with the silhouettes. Really liked those.

The story was really great, and gameplay was so much fun, I played the game through in one sitting. Really enjoyed it.

pishka
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Removed by Moderator]

[Post New]by pishka on Oct 20, 12 12:08 PM

Edited on 10/23/2012 at 1:39:20 AM PST

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 22, 12 3:13 PM
ttttttttt I think this is a great game
It has an amusing mixture of humor and creepiness throughout the story line. Several times I laughed out loud.

There are lots of entertaining puzzles and mini games, making this an adventure game lover’s delight. The soundtrack goes well with the story line. There are lots of interesting places to explore and complicated Hidden Object scenes where you compile/complete/connect objects needed to discover other objects. This is a refreshing relief from the usual hum-drum locate things from a list variety. The graphics are also well done, with lots of texture and depth to them (although they could have been a bit more deeply saturated and bright, and then they would have been perfect IMHO)

This is definitely one of the more enjoyable games I’ve played in a while.
I highly recommend this game

Edited on 10/22/2012 at 3:21:13 PM PST

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Oct 23, 12 9:32 PM
I loved the game (as well as the first one). Only had one comment.... SPOILERS!!!
if I am going to be going to other areas, which are supposed to be perilous...I want to feel the danger. I never felt as if I was in any danger in those other settings. Also, the Alaska earthquake where the guy is going to "freeze to death"? Almost no snow, icicles are melting and crickets are chirping!! I love playing games that have snow, wind and cold because I live in Houston where it's never cold. But in "Alaska" it was about 50 degrees!

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Nov 2, 12 12:16 PM
waw!
based on play and quite liking the previous game of haunted halls series, and also based on a positive reviews i bought this game straight away (trick code applied) and i do not regret it. i absolutely love it! the animals, the fun that was implemented into their appearance, and now the ukrainian or some sort of east european music when i got to chernobyl... that was the impulse that made me to stop playing it right now and share my excitement and satisfaction with this game and the purchase. just the music that occurs there occasionally reminds me the previous episode and despite the music is nice, it has a little disturbing effect on it as i link it with the previous story that was already sorted out.
others have already said the rest, i think.
just a bit of pride, when trying to solve the puzzle under the dictators statue, firstly i thought i will not have the nerves to do it, i managed to align the signes in the middle circle and thought that the outer one will be for some other brainiacs, but after just trying to do it a certain way it was suddenly completed. feel pleased because of this. haha

amendment: well, i remember being told that radiation causes hallucinations when i entered the chernobyl scene. now when i managed to go through the glass door, the doctor appeared again and told me that radiation causes hallucination as it was a new fact... or did i hallucinate before? lol
some things are not consistent and i have noticed this before.

Edited on 11/02/2012 at 12:41:38 PM PST

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Nov 3, 12 1:18 PM
hm... after the joy at the beginning, i think that the fun declined from that point... it looks like the developers started with a lot of ideas and then they run out of them.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Nov 28, 12 3:49 PM
I loved this game. I love all the games by ERS studio. The graphic's where perfect! The story was good and comes with a possible sequel in the future. Lot's of HOS and puzzles. Good puzzles too!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Jan 21, 13 1:54 PM
This was a good game, but I was glad I did not get the CE in this instance, as I typically do. By the time I got to the end scene, I'd had enough with Dr. Blackmore. It was a typical ERS sequel, more of the same, but that isn't a bad thing.

It would have been better in widescreen, as would be the case with all ERS games.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 18, 13 8:30 PM
I liked this game in the series. Although I have to admit, whenever Dr. Blackmore is speaking, I keep waiting for him to say " Mr. Anderson " !! Loved the story line, but I was not captivated into feeling or thinking I should be in a rush to save these people. I don't know, it didn't really draw me in, like some games do. I was happy to see that it was not inundated with iHOS and the puzzles were easy enough, so you did not have to skip them, unless it was just tedious boredom. It had the right kind of darkness, mixed in with cute stuff...who did not like the little leopard cub trying to get out of the tub, not to mention the cute little baby bear! All in all it was a good game and even though I liked the series, I don't think I can personally handle another one. It wasn't bad, just not great.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Apr 14, 13 6:05 AM
Many people in these forums enjoy knocking the rabbit - and they are certainly entitled to voice their disappointment - but for me, their software generally ensures good graphics, engaging gameplay, and a fun aspect that is lacking in many other games. This title, for me, is no exception. I could quibble about the use of the same old music, the slightly hazy HO scenes, puzzles being too easy, and the fact that they seem to have gotten a little lazy in designing the later HO scenes (earlier ones are a nice mix of FROGs, interactive HO's, etc.) but overall, I thought this was wholly satisfying.

The graphics are top-notch, the VO's are better than most (and I agree with the comment above regarding "Mr. Anderson"), tasks are all within proximity to inventory items, and I was engaged all of the way.

I'll keep hopping with this bunny.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 19, 13 12:19 PM
I love the haunted halls series, is very interesting, have all of them, this one is about looking for your fiance and other people trap in the place, plenty of hidden objects and task to follow.

The graphics are great, the scenes are nice to see I have not problem playing the game.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jul 22, 13 5:49 AM
I Like The Changes

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Newspaper headlines flash past giving details of apparently totally unconnected disappearances, including your own. THEN, it gets creepy. You wake strapped into some futuristic restraint chair, a disembodied voice tells you there is no chance of escape, and our old buddy Dr Blackmore turns up, literally crawling the walls! This can’t be good.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
As always the ERS graphics are water-colour, hand-drawn, very detailed and clear. The cut-scenes look good, but personally, I thought there were a bit too many of them. Still, I can see the temptation, when you see what Blackmore looks like now. Sounds are all good. Music has a definite sci-fi feel to it, and the voiceover for the computer is perfect. The doctor has his own special way of speaking in all 3 of these games, and I don’t like it. But it is at least unique, and quirky enough to sound insane.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
We start off a little differently than the other Haunted Halls games, because not only is Tim captured, but so are we. The space ship-like location is inescapable, and Blackmore monitors everything, so we have no choice but to play the role he has planned for us. The four disappearances from the introduction have one thing in common, they are all people who have crossed Blackmore. Now he has sent them each to a specific time and place, each the scene of a major catastrophe, to suffer a Blackmore-decreed appropriate end. And we’ve got to release them in order to get to Tim.

MAKING PROGRESS
The Haunted Halls series continues to be mostly about HOs, but there is a lot of changes in this game since the last. There are, for example, four styles of HOs, including 3 different types of silhouettes, and the interactive list. The puzzles are okay for the most part, many of original ones.

I liked the portable laboratory, where we mix up potions, following detailed instructions. This one is more fun than others in other games, because it is just difficult enough to have to pay attention. There is also a specific puzzle that comes at the end of each chapter, getting more difficult each time.

The electronic notebook is a big help in keeping track of things, because there is no map and the hint button only tells there’s nothing to do.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I forgot to mention there are a lot of interesting critters doing curious things throughout the game, but not cute. And the game is quite long.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Oct 21, 14 11:49 PM
77Emma77 wrote:hm... after the joy at the beginning, i think that the fun declined from that point... it looks like the developers started with a lot of ideas and then they ran out of them.

silverink wrote:By the time I got to the end scene, I'd had enough with Dr. Blackmore.

I'd had enough with Dr. Blackmore by the time I got 30 minutes into the demo.

Go to: