OMG I am completely enraged.

rvalot
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,853 Posts

OMG I am completely enraged.

[Post New]by rvalot on Feb 12, 09 7:41 AM
Big Fish refused to sell me a game, because somebody else didn't like it. I am so incredibly angry over this that I had to take it to the big pond. I can go on a tirade in the game's forum, but nobody will ever see it there, so:

This is ridiculous. Finally something besides a TM, HO, Match 3 or large file game, finally something new and clever, and what happens? A few people squawk and an award-winning, original, really different game is yanked away from everyone.

Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble has been available for months elsewhere. The game has been hailed everywhere for its originality. I don't see why it's so controversial here. Gamezebo has the same demographic and people there went bonkers (in a good way) over it.

Think about Ravenhearst. Spousal abuse, murder, smoking paraphernalia (gasp!) lying around everywhere. Or Women's Murder Club. Grisly scenes of homicide victims for our entertainment.

And what are TM games teaching our children? That you can work at a diner and charge a hundred bucks for a hamburger. Where is the outrage?

I really wanted to buy DHSG but just wasn't fast enough. I'm going directly to the developer, where I will gladly pay $20. If anyone at Mousechief is still paying any attention to BF, I'm sorry your game is unwelcome here.

If people here had TRIED the game, they would know that DHSG is a harmless, lighthearted, silly little confection. It's too late now.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,218 Posts

Re:OMG I am completely enraged.

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Feb 12, 09 7:45 AM
I don't understand the rationale of pulling this game. So what if some people were offended by it. Is BFG going to pull every game that upsets people? We could make a list here with Redrum probably leading it. A game which I happened to enjoy.

[Post New]by Basketcase327 on Feb 12, 09 7:59 AM
Pulling the game because of comments from people who didn't even play it is wrong!

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,110 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Feb 12, 09 8:03 AM
Censhorship at it's best!
People only went by the title and thought it was all abought bullying.
They have closed minds, imo.

So, rvalot, go buy it another site.

karenplop
Catfish
Catfish
1,609 Posts

[Post New]by karenplop on Feb 12, 09 8:13 AM
I have always said..........."A mind with braces is a mind that will not grow."

hilyer25
Marlin
Marlin
9,083 Posts

[Post New]by hilyer25 on Feb 12, 09 8:19 AM
I can't believe they took it off the site! I tried it, and liked it ok. I didn't buy it because I have a ton on my wish list ahead of it, NOT because it was a "bad" game!! Are they going to start pulling all the other games people complain about?

jobynana
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,017 Posts

[Post New]by jobynana on Feb 12, 09 8:34 AM
Hi RV, I thought someone had super-glued you to the Bad Fishie Benches!

I d/l this game and tried it for a while but then gave up, but it was not because of any negative or otherwise impression it gave. It just wasn't my thing.

Saying that, what I did play, I couldn't really see anything upsetting about it - the banter seemed pretty harmless but then, maybe as I didn't play through I am not a good judge.

I agree, I think 'pulling' it is a bit harsh when you look at some other games. I know BF are keen to promote 'Family Friendly' but no-one had to download it or play it if they didn't want to. I guess they must have had a fair few complaints that caused them to do this but then, who knows? It would have been 'nice' if they could have given you a fuller explanation RV!

Maybe they'll come on here at let us know.

Joby

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,585 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 12, 09 8:38 AM
OK, I am enraged too!
I'm so glad I bought it before they removed it completely.

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Feb 12, 09 8:42 AM
Listen to Mega on this one! This could very well be a developer issue and NOT a BFG issue. I think most of us still have flashbacks to when it was a TGT offer. BFG upgraded their description of the game, but the developer needed to do some updating of their information.

I would hesitate to bandy about words like "censorship" until we know the exact nature of the situation. We all have access to Picman, we all know he is usually somewhere on here during the evenings BFG time. Let's find out from one of the BF's themselves the precise nature of this situation.

Cautious in New Orleans,

Jules

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,585 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 12, 09 8:45 AM
BFG have had since 4th Feb to reply on this issue (before it was removed completely). I can't see them replying now, either.

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Feb 12, 09 8:52 AM
Purplerabbit wrote:BFG have had since 4th Feb to reply on this issue (before it was removed completely). I can't see them replying now, either.

We just need to apply the appropriate amount of insistent inquisition!

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Feb 12, 09 8:54 AM
Or should that be 'persistent" inquisition?

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Feb 12, 09 8:55 AM
. . . Spanish Inquisition??

hilyer25
Marlin
Marlin
9,083 Posts

[Post New]by hilyer25 on Feb 12, 09 8:56 AM
LOL Jules! Then we'd need a translator

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Feb 12, 09 8:56 AM
Just remember . . .

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,585 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 12, 09 8:57 AM
Jule,

I'm hoping you're right but I had no problems with the game.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,280 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 09 8:58 AM
I'm sorry. And I reallly am sorry. But I agree with BF on this one. I didn't play the game on principle. I am a teacher. I know the game was mis-described. I assume some people enjoyed it and it was a good game. BUT we all know bullying goes on in school and at work. And it is horrible. RTR was always going to have horror aspects. I loved it! But it was fantasy. Bullying isn't. Basing a game on this premise is not helpful to those of us who struggle to combat bullying on a daily basis. And BF is so kind and welcoming. Look at customer support. They don't just sort you out. They always have kind comments too. We look after each other on this site. The ethos is one of kindness. That game was based on the opposite. It didn't belong here. I am totally against censorship. Tell me not to do it and I'm suddenly very interested in doing it on a what-the -hell basis. I AM sorry BF felt it necessary to remove this game. But it was, and I applaud them for doing it.

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Feb 12, 09 9:01 AM
Purplerabbit wrote:Jule,

I'm hoping you're right but I had no problems with the game.

Neither did I, and I bought the game too!! I also helped write the new game description after the whole gargantuan mess that came from the first one. I am interested in the answer just as much as the rest of you are. I want to hear it from the Big Fish's mouth!! (or fingers) (I mean fins) (Crap . . . does anyone have a current human to fish translation manual??)

Btw . . . PR Loved your review of today's TGT!! I'm officially stealing one of your phrases!!

Jule

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 9:01:59 AM PST

rvalot
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,853 Posts

[Post New]by rvalot on Feb 12, 09 9:49 AM
vicalana wrote:I'm sorry. And I reallly am sorry. But I agree with BF on this one. I didn't play the game on principle. I am a teacher. I know the game was mis-described. I assume some people enjoyed it and it was a good game. BUT we all know bullying goes on in school and at work. And it is horrible. RTR was always going to have horror aspects. I loved it! But it was fantasy. Bullying isn't. Basing a game on this premise is not helpful to those of us who struggle to combat bullying on a daily basis. And BF is so kind and welcoming. Look at customer support. They don't just sort you out. They always have kind comments too. We look after each other on this site. The ethos is one of kindness. That game was based on the opposite. It didn't belong here. I am totally against censorship. Tell me not to do it and I'm suddenly very interested in doing it on a what-the -hell basis. I AM sorry BF felt it necessary to remove this game. But it was, and I applaud them for doing it.

Hi Vicalana. Nice to meet you

You're absolutely right. Bullying is horrible! That's one reason I enjoy Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble so much. It's fun to go around as my character stopping bullies and thwarting mean people. I like to protect the weak and innocent, and DHSG gives me a chance at some simulated teenage leadership. I really enjoy it!

rvalot
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,853 Posts

[Post New]by rvalot on Feb 12, 09 9:51 AM
juliamadeane wrote:Just remember . . .

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

“NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.”

ROFLMFOPIMP!!!

Go to: