bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Nancy Drew: Alibi in Ashes

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 20, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Nancy Drew: Alibi in Ashes ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Nancy Drew: Alibi in Ashes page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nancy Drew: Alibi in Ashes

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 20, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 20, 12 2:15 AM
those who want the walkthru, and since I cant pace links here, pleeze google for it, its there! I never quite like ND games, as even playing as a Junior Detective, u as ND can "die" (the message is "You have made a fatal error, and got burn in the fire, luckily you had a fire extinguisher on hand...." It's really NOT FUNNY! NOT FUNNY at all! My rem that 11yr old nephew cried when he accidentally make ND "Die".

Its not exactly children friendly. Whats with all the turn around, panning till you are goggy and dizzy and confused way of navigation? I just cant understand why ND series had to be in this format? Wont it be better as a HOS, puzzles, adventure game whereby there is no timer for Junior mode and you can skip the mini-puzzles or got some prompts or help to do so?

The so called help is usually in the form of calling ND's friends such as George, Ned, Hardy boys etc. The cursor navigation is SO lousy. I wouldnt hv mind if there were arrows instead or a map to jump to. There is ALWAYS a lot of turn around, left, pan down, pan up, right, forward etc movements just to CONTROL ND!!!

PS: YES, I refused to allow my 11yr nephews to play anymore ND games meanwhile. The developers (Herinteractive) should have make it no time for Junior detective mode with hints or skip (even if they want to keep the lousy navigational mode of play). Whereas Syeria is actually more enjoyable

Storyline is always intriguing, and graphics is always quite good, but I hate how the game was design!

cosmoscos
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by cosmoscos on Oct 20, 12 4:36 AM
Ok, it's been a while since I played this one but as you can't trial these games I thought I'd write a review anyway. I own every Nancy Drew game ever made, and I always recommend them.

Plot - Nancy has been accused of setting a fire. You, as Nancy, Ned, George and Bess have to clear her name and get her out of jail.

Graphics - Great, they've really improved them in recent games.

Puzzles - If I remember correctly they weren't that hard, though sometimes figuring out what you needed to do in the first place was a little tricky. As always you have hints in Junior mode, so I'd recommend starting there. Free walkthroughs available on the net too. They're not skippable.

Game play - Firstly I have one main point I didn't like: I didn't like the fact you had so many characters to switch too. With Nancy in jail you have the choice to play as Ned, George and Bess on the outside all of which have certain things they can't do; or are needed to distract someone whilst the other searches. As a result I seemed to spend a lot of time on the phone. Oh, make that two. You didn't get to meet Togo

However there was a lot I really loved. I enjoyed putting things on the board in the jail and making the case that Nancy was innocent. You get to see Nancy's hometown, all of the characters including Ned, who hasn't been in previous games. Bess and George have been redesigned and are much more like they were described in the book. The ending is brilliant. All the suspects and other characters were very interesting, the games (not the puzzles) were fun.

Finally - I'd recommend this game for people who have played these games before, but if you haven't I don't recommend starting with this one. It isn't as easy as previous games, though I wouldn't say it was difficult.

I hope that helped someone make up their mind, though I know it wasn't particularly detailed. Bye everyone!

Edited on 10/20/2012 at 4:37:01 AM PST

boogweez
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,280 Posts

[Post New]by boogweez on Oct 20, 12 6:03 AM
I purchased one other ND in the past. Also with no demo. I have to say I didn't like the game and never finished it. So..... No DEMO.....No buy for me.

rogerscove
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by rogerscove on Oct 20, 12 7:11 AM
I purchased only one ND game and eventually had to give up on it. Way too confusing for me which lead to lots of frustration. Why can't they make them more like the other games? I figure if they won't let you demo the game, then there must be something wrong with it;must be the only way they can sell any of them.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 20, 12 8:47 AM
I have to say that many LF games do not have demos. This is not unusual.
That being said this is not one of my favorite ND. It's still a good game but as has been mentioned before the switching back and forth between characters gets confusing and tiresome at times. It has been a while since I played this but I seem to remember that there was less challenge to this one than many of the others. I must add that I think the redesigned characters are closer graphically to the books and you do get to see Ned in this one. Also interesting to see ND's hometown. As was mentioned before I too would not recommend this as a first ND as I think it would be confusing. All a matter of taste. If you are familiar with the ND series you will probably enjoy this. As a rule the Nancy Drew series is very entertaining.

As always...Try before you Buy.
Happy Gaming.

moochorama
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by moochorama on Oct 20, 12 9:06 AM
rogerscove wrote:Why can't they make them more like the other games?

Because different people like different games. People who like large file adventure games are happy that the games are NOT full of hints, glinting objects and obvious "use this object there" puzzles, but force you to keep track of what happens and think (sometimes hard). I wouldn't play them if they were just another iHog because I find those way too easy and no fun. Please don't complain that games are not your type of game, because there are enough other games out there and it's hard enough to get decent large file adventures these days.

rogerscove wrote:I figure if they won't let you demo the game, then there must be something wrong with it;must be the only way they can sell any of them.

I'm going to buy this one without a second thought, I've been waiting for a new ND game for ages!

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Oct 20, 12 9:09 AM
This is one of my least favorite out of the new Nancy Drew games.

The navigation is the worst. To get around town while Nancy is "unavailable," you play as Nancy's three friends: Ned, Bess, and George. That's fine with me. The problem? When switching between characters, you can't just skip right to the next one. Oh, no. You get out the phone, call Nancy, tell her you need her to take over, then have Nancy call the next friend, and ask them to take over. So unnecessary and it kind of ruins the game for me. If these kids are all friends, why can't they just call each other to switch?!

Other than that, the game is just OK. The puzzles aren't that hard or that interesting. Most puzzles basically have the solution (or at least a huge hint that makes solving it way easier than it should be) given to you in another location.

For one credit or a punchcard coupon, I guess this is an alright game. Definitely not my favorite out of the series by any means.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Oct 20, 12 1:38 PM
NO DEMO = NO BUY

Period. It's all too easy to add a "partial file" demo these days... no excuse not to do so unless there's some reason you don't want people to try it first... hmmm... might not buy then? Other sites have a free demo so don't even try to say it's not possible.

That said... I demo'd it at another site... not sure if I like it enough to buy as the navigation is clunky and nausa inducing at times but if I do buy it will be from the site who allowed me to demo the game. I don't think it would be fair to use another sites bandwidth to demo the game and then come buy from big fish who couldn't be bothered. Especially since it's $6.99 at the other site as well. Not cool big fish... not cool.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Oct 21, 12 2:03 PM
I know I've said this before, regarding the ND games, but they are all good.

I purchase them @ full price and get the hard copy CD/DVD on their website. This particular game was one of my and the families favorites, but then again, too hard to state a very favorite, as they are all good... in my opinion.

The only down side lately, is that the ND game site, no longer makes walkthrough booklets to purchase. Every now and then, you can get stumped in a game, and wish to resolve it, after too much time was wasted in trying to solve a puzzle on your own. They do have their forums to seek and find the solutions, but I hate, nor have the time to dig all around their forum topic links for the answer. Besides, having the booklet is always good for years to come... maybe when the game forums are no longer around.

Edited on 10/21/2012 at 2:05:48 PM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Oct 22, 12 4:10 AM
I have just finished this Nancy Drew and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I got through on easy mode with very little help from my googled walk through. I find ND games very difficult, yet my 15 year old sails through them.

There are hints via your telephone either through calling a friend (Ned, Bess or George) or a hint helpline. Not much help but they do give mudges.

TBH This was the easiest one yet, but by no means easy.

If you want to go to another place you click on the map & the car drives there. Not all places can be stopped at but it is fun visiting for your self.

There are a couple of fun and repeatable mini games which are quite addictive. The puzzles are fairly do-able, but I did google the directions for the last "escape"

Apart from the difficulty, I totally disagree this game is not suitable for 11 year olds. I think most 11 year olds are far more emotionally mature to handle the little "accidents" Nancy may occur. They are of secondary school age and most are not nearly that sensitive to take a book character game to seriously. In fact most would love the sloothing and car driving etc.

Obviously i had to "buy before i try" but i don't regret it. I am off to try others i have bought for my daughter on her recommendation.

Edited on 10/22/2012 at 4:13:02 AM PST

Akzoe12
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Akzoe12 on Nov 17, 12 1:06 AM
I'm addicted to nancy drew's games but this one is awfully short, played it in only 3 hours... If you begin in these games, you can begin with this one, cause the others are much longer and more difficult...
Otherwise, i really liked the story and it was fun switching with the other characters, just wished it was longer.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Jul 24, 13 10:09 PM
sartasia wrote:I have to say that many LF games do not have demos. This is not unusual. . . . As was mentioned before I too would not recommend this as a first ND as I think it would be confusing. All a matter of taste. If you are familiar with the ND series you will probably enjoy this. As a rule the Nancy Drew series is very entertaining.

As always...Try before you Buy.
Happy Gaming.

Well, "try before you buy" isn't possible, is it? And what's offered on the promo video and 3 sample screens is hardly an invitation. No demo--no sale.

Edited on 07/24/2013 at 10:14:29 PM PST

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Apr 29, 14 4:42 PM
What fun! This game was easier than a lot of Nancy Drew games I have played. Shorter, too, so it would be a good game for Nancy Drew Games beginners. It took me 6 days, playing 2 -3 hours each day, to finish. I always play as a Junior Detective because I do not want any more of a challenge than this level. The quality of the graphics and the characters is very good. Voices were easily understood. It was quite challenging changing characters, but once you get the knack of knowing who to be, it gets more fun. As with all of the Nancy Drew games, you must talk to everyone several times, visit scenes often, and make notes of your own to keep up with all the goings-on. Also, you have to be observant in every scene so you don't miss items to pick up or clues. The phone system, journal, and task list helps greatly to guide you along the way. The Maze at the end was most difficult for me, as they were in other ND games; so I cheated by looking at a game walk-thru site for the answer. I got frantic being timed in the maze.

Edited on 04/29/2014 at 4:44:31 PM PST

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jul 23, 14 2:14 AM
You don't get free previews and trials when you buy things in person so I find this is an invalid argument for not buying a game.

That's all I have to say. That does not apply elsewhere, so when it does come up here, people should not be demanding free trials periods.

As for making them like all other games - that would be literally the worst thing that could possibly happen to either these games or to any that have ingenuity.

Go to: