virus alert

[Post New]by petelois on Feb 12, 09 9:08 AM
I've downloaded this game and played it all the way through without any problems,then when I got on it to play it again I found that McAfee had deleted it saying it had discovered a W32/SD Bot worm virus.How do you get rid of this worm?Any ideas???

virus alert

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Feb 12, 09 9:43 AM
petelois wrote:I've downloaded this game and played it all the way through without any problems,then when I got on it to play it again I found that McAfee had deleted it saying it had discovered a W32/SD Bot worm virus.How do you get rid of this worm?Any ideas???

hi petelois ~ see the info in the help section for here's the link ~

http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigfishgames.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=165

follow the steps they recommend, adding the client etc to safe list in mcafee ~ if that doesn't get the game working, you can contact mcafee to get an updated definition file that will correct the problem

it isn't a virus, it's what is referred to as a "false positive" and an error on the part of the antivirus developers, not ~ games downloaded from are guaranteed to be virus-free

it happens from time to time with games, and for this game, many users are reporting virus alerts using several different AV programs, not just McAfee, so you're not alone it's been happening more often lately on several games, not just this one

following is a quote with a response re this problem in another thread from "picman" (the big boss of )

picman wrote:We downloaded and ran it through all the anti-virus programs and it came up clean again.
We will keep checking, but this game has been downloaded by almost 1 million people since we launched it and with this may downloads we have had only a couple reports in customer service.
When McAfee incorrectly was flagging our games we had over 5,000 customer support tickets in a matter of hours.

There may be an update out there that is incorrectly flagging this game, but we have an extremely thorough test lab and have now run it through several times with not problems...but we will continue to investigate.

Picman

hope you get the game working again, it's great

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

Re:virus alert

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Feb 12, 09 10:28 AM
Hi everybody. I thought I'd pop in and let you know that all of our games here at Big Fish Games are 100% virus/adware/spyware free, and are tested for such. Chances are, your anti-virus program definitions need to be updated. Here is a help topic we have that talks about this:

Virus messages

If you have any other questions, then I would recommend that you contact our Customer Support staff. They are well trained in assisting with technical questions and concerns. You can contact them by clicking here.

Thank you for visiting the forums!

mhardy12
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by mhardy12 on Feb 14, 09 4:47 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know, I had Geeksquad out today b/c I had viruses on my PC. One of the problems had been that a virus was attached or had attached itself to this game. I had already finished this game so I uninstalled it and will be deleting the download. This is the first time I've had a virus attached to a BF game and I have alot of games. This must have been a fluke. Thought I'd let everyone know to be aware of this game and NOT download it. Good luck to everyone who did.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Feb 14, 09 6:25 PM
BF has already checked into this situation and found that there are several anti-virus programs detecting false positives in some games including this one. They are working with the AV program companies to resolve these issues. There's a thread in the forums that you should take a look at because in it BFG moderators explain this situation in more detail. The name is something close to "backdoor trojans in BFG". I can't remember the exact wording. The name of the offending file does look like the name of a virus, and someone not aware of the false positive situation (such as GeekSquad) may think it is a real virus; however, in this case, it's just a false positive.

mhardy12
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by mhardy12 on Feb 14, 09 7:09 PM
I appreciate your reply Gentlsong, however I will not be reinstalling this game. I'm not bashing BF (I love their site and games), but I won't take the chance. It might be a false positive, but it could also be the virus, no site is 100% safe and everything is possible. I just wanted to give a heads up to others who might be thinking about this game. I loved the game, but won't be taking another chance on this particular one.

Go to: