bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Twilight Phenomena: The Lodgers of House 13 Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Oct 25, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Twilight Phenomena: The Lodgers of House 13 Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Twilight Phenomena: The Lodgers of House 13 Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Twilight Phenomena: The Lodgers of House 13 Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Oct 25, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 25, 12 12:56 AM
Played 30 minutes, casual

- ERS Game
-3 modes,casual, advanced, hard, you can change the mode you've chosen while playing
- Integrated SG, which stays on the page you leave, shows 4 chapters
- Note book
- No map
- You get a cat hologram which helps you to obtain objects out of reach
- VO
- Hint button, only tells you there's nothing to do in a scene, doesn't show you the direction to go to
- Skip button takes a long time to fill, even in casual mode
- Good mini games
- H0 : didn't come across any in the 30 minutes I played
- Superb graphics
- Music "creepy" to fit the game

You rent a nice room in a beautiful manor, too good to be true...You're not allowed to go into the right aisle, but nosy as you are, you of course do and........... !!!!
A buy for me

Edited on 10/25/2012 at 1:14:53 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 25, 12 1:07 AM
Poutoule: "H0 : didn't come across any in the 30 minutes I played "

No HO at all! Pure Adventure!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 25, 12 1:21 AM
This is a beautiful game. I am truly enjoying it so far. Even with the big monkey on the loose lol. And I love that cat! He is so cute. I am really glad I bought the game. To me E R S never disappoints. They always have something good up their sleeves

Story: I am just at the part so far where the main character moves into the mansion and signs the lease. The landlord seems like a nice man, but look can be deceiving. He says the right wing of the mansion is off limits, hmm wonder why? He went up to his bedroom and opened the curtain just to have a woman asking for help, and a big monkey carting her off.

Graphics: Gorgeous. E R S's art team done it again! Everything is so crisp and clear.

Music: Fits this game beautifully. Gives enough suspense as to what is going on.

Mini Games: Only ran into one so far so can't elaborate on that.

Length: There's 12 chapters plus the bonus chapter. 55 pages in the main game and 11 for the bonus chapter.

This is going to be one fun adventure. Happy gaming

Edited on 10/25/2012 at 9:30:22 AM PST

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Oct 25, 12 1:34 AM
Played the demo and totally enjoyed this game. Off to buy and keep playing. Good adventure game. Thank you Big Fish and developers a nice fun game to play.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 25, 12 1:53 AM
Morning, all...

This Review may contain some Spoilers, so... beware.

This is an Adventure Puzzle game - no HOS (hidden object scenes).

There are 12 Chapters plus the Bonus chapter, and Bonus mini games.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hard. (The "black-bar tips" are supposed to be disabled in Hard mode).

Both HINT and SKIP buttons fill once again incredibly slow in Casual mode. Both take about 3 minutes to fill.

There is something called "Maintain aspect ratio" - once again, it didn't work for me.

Music and Sound are on different sliders, as are the voices.

There is a choice of Custom and System cursor.

Your Diary is at the left.

Also at the left is your holographic cat, which will come in handy from time to time.

The Hint button is at the right.

Also at the right is your SG (strategy guide). It stays open where you last left it open.

You can lock or unlock the Inventory to either stay on top or disappear down below until needed.

--- --- ---

Unfortunately, ERS still doesn't care to add a map to their games. Too much extra work?

No widescreen - again - for me, of course.

I was very annoyed about the 3-minute fill time in Casual mode for both the Skip and Hint buttons, but especially disliked the slow fill of the Skip button, because there are quite a few puzzles in this game.

I very much like the story, and seeing that we are getting this game today for $4.00 less than the usual $13.99, I will get this game.

Edited on 10/25/2012 at 2:10:03 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 25, 12 1:59 AM
Poor ERS -- as soon as I opened the game and saw their logo I said "ERS -- probably not".

And so it started -- same hazy artwork, it started to rain, your peaceful getaway becomes a nightmare in just a few minutes. This is a 3 mode Puzzle Adventure -- thus far more puzzle than adventure. Hardcore adds no black bar hints to Adventure, which has slow recharge of hints and skips and no hot spot indicators. Most of the inventory objects you find are used in (so far fairly simple) puzzles. Tasks are easily deciphered.

Widescreen
Voice overs
diary
No Map
Holographic helper

The story is truly odd -- no relation, but in the manner of Dr. Blackmore. We have a hint of a missing scientist and very weird things going on in the West Wing. The proprietor of the Inn looks normal enough, but chances are good he is not. It is truly the story that will carry this game along; every step of progress, every discovery, involves a puzzle. They are presented in the context of the tale, but objectives are not new.

Early on I encountered a task with no reason to do it at the time. Also early on, some black bar commentary was missing a word. Poor ERS -- I'm picking on everything.

I actually was curious about the story and played the entire demo because of it. Revealing too much here would ruin some of the best of the game, IMHO. I was never hung up on what to do next, so challenging game play wasn't much a participant in my hour with this ERS offering.

I would recommend you demo it. If you are tired of Hidden Object scenes, you won't find any in this game. I can at best say it is an entertaining activity that won't overwork one's reasoning skills. Sometimes, perhaps, that's the best way to fill a few hours.

CE Contents:
Strategy Guide --12 chapter plus a bonus chapter
music
concept art
screensavers
wallpapers
replay of mini games
replay of cut scenes

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 25, 12 2:13 AM
Just finished the demo. Not real impressed. Played casual mode. Found it to be a bit mundane samo-o, same-o story..Crazy professor kidnaps subjects and does experiments. Extreamly slow HINT and SKIP buttons but you don't really need to use them as the game and the mini games (lots of them) are quite easy. No HOS and you do very little moving around. You basically finish a scene with a couple of rooms and then move on with little or no backtracking...this is good. Game moves along well. Journal is basically useless, never looked at it. No map, but you don't need it.

I always turn off voice overs but you still get some interaction. Dialog allows you to move through at your own reading rate which is good. You don't have to sit and wait for the dialog to finish if you read faster or you can just skip it completely.

May be interesting to see how the rest of the story goes and since there is a special running I may buy otherwise I would wait for the SE as I don't feel at this point this game is challenging enough to be a CE. Time will tell.

Additional comments after game & bonus completion: I did enjoy this game. What I liked most since I really don't like mini games are the ones in this game are actually fun and not so complicated you feel great frustration. They actually blended so well with the game you hardly knew you were playing them. Only had to skip a few mostly because of my patience level. Never had to use the strategy guide or Journal and only HINTs on occassion.

The bonus game continues the story. The main game ends well, but the bonus game goes beyound with more additional play (quite long) and ends quite abruptly and very wierd. All iin all, I would give this game a 3.5+ . Moves along smoothly, no HOS and good mini games. I was pleased.

Edited on 10/26/2012 at 7:43:21 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 25, 12 2:14 AM
This is an adventure game (no HOS) from ERS Game Studios, the 2nd ( ) CE from ERS in a week. But don't worry, there's no problem with that since the game doesn't rely on innovation in the least, and the story is nothing more than a rehash of the games they've released before.

Not werewolves or Dr. Blackwell (or whatever his name is), but this time a King Kong type evil monkey is doing the bidding of someone very unbalanced. Gee, I wonder who it is, tell you what----if you haven;t figured it out in the first 3 minutes, send me a PM----I'll point you in the right direction. There's also a living head (how original). And the story with its many simplistic, seen-'em-all-before puzzles is all over the place. There is no cohesiveness or direction to the game whatsoever. And all of the elements have been used in previous ERS games. Lately, when ERS games begin, a very somber-toned voice speaks the name of the game for you. (so remarkably innovative so we can be certain we're playing the correct game)----and I think they should also have this voice say "the names have been changed to protect those unfamiliar with our games".

The quality of the graphics are again not up to previous ERS quality----foggy looking.

If you like the music in ERS games, you'll like this one because its been used before.

Extras are the usual.

And as always with ERS, there is no working widescreen----aspect ratio doesn't work----what's new?

So we have yet another "boilerplate" game from ERS featuring the same things we've seen from them too many times before, and will continue to see so long as there are the gushing raves from ERS fans ("ERS has done it again!!", "ERS ROCKS!!", etc.), and as long as people will pay for 2nd rate efforts like this. ERS pays no attention to remarks made here (obviously), and they appear to have a very "special" status with BF so they'll keep reworking, remaking, and redoing the juvenile, poorly done "monster-of-the-week" games like we've been seeing.

But here's 2 items of good news:
1) special pricing today only!
2) it's not as horrible as last week's release.
But in any case, I won't be encouraging this type of game with a buy. No sale here at any price.

(I'm just wondering how many sequels there will be to this one! LOL)

[Post New]by peachesmom50 on Oct 25, 12 2:49 AM
I have to agree with everything well stated by "cbtx" .. thx for saving me the trouble!!

ERS... get it together .. cause right now you're losing fans!!!

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Oct 25, 12 3:11 AM
Good morning all Hattie Hauntsalot here with a few tips for you on helping you search for your new home so your dream house doesn't turn out to be your worst nightmare. First I suggest you watch Amityville Horror it is a good teacher however just in case you don't that's what I'm here for. When arriving to your new home if it's a mansion with everything you could ever imagine and it's the same price as you could rent a hotel room you may want to ask some questions remember if it seems to good to be true then it is there is a problem with the house and it's waiting for you behind the door so don't fall for that toothy smile that Mr. Realtor is giving you. However should you fall for the smile and buy the home once you move in and you feel cold spots, hear voices, chandeliers swinging and someone tells you to GET OUT in a demonic voice leave don't wait around just leave grab all the boxes you just brought in and leave of course there are some of you that want do that and that is fine I have a fix for that as well. If you do decide to stay in your dream house but begin to wonder that maybe you made the wrong decision before things really get out hand call me and I will gladly help out and I don't charge one penny that's because I don't come to your home but I will tell you what to do and that is strike a match and walk out it never fails that works every time and for more tips play this game it's full of freaky fun frights !

Well what can I say but ERS ROCKS ! Once again they have delivered another outstanding adventure that is full of freaky frights and cool puzzles. This isn't a hidden object game but it plays like one and I'm not one for the adventure games but I love ERS'S theirs are so fun and the puzzles aren't tedious or frustrating unlike the giant insect riding game over the weekend ERS knows how to create fun puzzles.

The graphics are awesome as always not grainy like the giant insect riding game, great voice overs not over the top, music is very fitting for a spooky mansion with a old guy as your landlord who seems to be as sweet as sugar but I have a feeling him and the house have many secrets and I intend on finding out every one of them. This was a definite buy for me as all ERS games are.

Very cool game here with lots to do and see and a cute kitty to boot. Thank you ERS and keep rocking you do it so well ! Thank you Big Fish for another spine tingling adventure. Have fun everybody.

Edited on 10/25/2012 at 6:25:57 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 25, 12 3:43 AM
I guess I am mostly swimming upstream here, hey! that's what salmon do, BUT, I like this game, too!

My 23" widescreen is filled and my graphics are clear!

I'm enjoying the gameplay that is smooth and the music that is theme appropriate IMO!

I really love all the animals and if I am not pulling my hair out with the puzzles and where to go next, that is a big plus for me today as I have a migraine!

The only complaint I have is the usual one with CEs when the Devs think that I will have some use for the extras after I finish the game! WRONG!
I know the bonus play should be locked, but, I do not understand why I pay for the wallpapers in advance and cannot use them during the game!

I understand what some Devs have told me about spoilers, but, fail to see why a person who doesn't want to know anything in advance (spoilers tic me off, too!) has a choice of look or don't look, as I don't have a choice of use or don't use!

I know a lot of peeps don't care for the extras, but, I do and I like the Devs to know I feel a little cheated when I know they can perfectly well make them available!

Other Devs do it and do it very well
!

However, that is a personal preference, the main thing is I am having fun playing the game and that makes it a buy for me.

Thanks for the sale BFG!
Happy Gaming All!

BK

ETA Clarity

Edited on 10/25/2012 at 5:42:24 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 25, 12 3:46 AM
I have beta tested this game back on July c. y., and I could not find any flaws, beside the story which is a bit on the "creepy" side! My rating at the time was "good", how good it is I don't know, I cannot remember, so I will demo and I can tell you more, whatever you care to know it or not, for now, happy gaming to all fishes in the ponds!

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 25, 12 4:51 AM
I don't normally review in the Forum, BUT,
I am so disappointed with ERS. No Hidden Object Scenes in this game. WHAT???!!!

HEY, THROW ME A BONE WILL YA?!! GEEZZ

It just is not the same. What is the point. Where do I find my stuff.???

For me it just takes the fun out of the game altogether. Sorry ERS. No buy for me.
Not even as a SE, not even as a DD.

Please bring back some Hidden scenes, if only a few for pete's sake.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Oct 25, 12 4:56 AM
peachesmom50 wrote:I have to agree with everything well stated by "cbtx" .. thx for saving me the trouble!!

ERS... get it together .. cause right now you're losing fans!!!

I totally agree. At one time I loved their games but now have become tired of the same old, same old and the washed out graphics. I prefer games that have crisp and clear graphics. Far more enjoyable to play. So much of the gaming experience is based on the visual aspect. ERS have lost that vision.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 25, 12 5:53 AM
Thanks for your review, CBTX, you've said it all. This ERS game is one of so many games of them I won't spend money on. Or effort, for that matter. It's the same all over indeed and foggy graphics plus (spoiler ahead, so read it by selecting the words) a couple of beheaded persons to make my day. NOT!

Maybe it's about time I'm skipping all of the games by these devs without even trying the demo. I don't like the artstyle, I'm not in the least thrilled by the storylines and I'm flatout bored with the same old-same old.

The upcoming MCF, that's what I'm impatiently waiting for!

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Oct 25, 12 6:04 AM
ERS games keep making me think of James Patterson's novels. They keep coming out one after the other but I don't care for the quality. The difference is that his novels give credit to the co-author and the games don't. I could be totally offbase but....

I too agree with the comments made by cbtx. When I read that Valdy said no widescreen available I knew it wouldn't be a buy for me. I know other's say games fill their widescreens just fine. But I know if it won't work for cbrx and Valdy I know it won't work on my 17.3 inch laptop either.

[Post New]by Merryweather on Oct 25, 12 6:43 AM
I enjoyed this game. It moved along at a good clip, that wasn't a lot of running around through the entire game just to give added play time and the objectives seemed generally clear.

Koffie99
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Koffie99 on Oct 25, 12 7:10 AM
Very happily surprised by this game! Actually quite enjoy the fact that not everywhere I click is a HOS. A buy for me!

Go to: