bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Sable Maze: Sullivan River

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 28, 12 3:06 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Sable Maze: Sullivan River? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Sable Maze: Sullivan River page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 10/28/2012 at 4:46:10 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Sable Maze: Sullivan River

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Oct 28, 12 3:06 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Oct 28, 12 3:13 AM
Played half an hour and wasn't too impressed. I came across a couple of puzzles that were quite easy and familiar. I left the second half hour for wifey who informed me we already had the game. I checked and yes, we had the CE in the game manager but hadn't bought it. Another 'new' game we already had. We didn't buy the CE because it we didn't feel it was worth it. May buy the SE as we have a stack of free game codes to use up.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 28, 12 4:25 AM
Good morning and good afternoon, all...

This game has 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is no Widescreen.

Your DIARY is at the left.

Also at the left is your MAP, which shows you where you are and can be used to jump.

The HINT button is at the right, and also works outside of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes). Refill time of the HINT takes about 40 seconds in Easy mode.

The iHOS are highly interactive. Graphics are very good and objects are mostly easy enough to find.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes also about 40 seconds to fill in Easy mode.

There are TROPHIES to be won.

--- --- ---

Graphics are OK but could have been done better. Gameplay is, so far, fun and interesting. Story is quite spooky at times. And, seeing that we were able to get this game as a CE for $4.00 less, I bought the CE.

Some comments for after I finished the game:

It started out interesting, but honestly, by the time I got towards the end of the main game, I was no longer interested in playing the bonus game. However, I did start it and went on for quite a while, but it just got tedious.

There are quite a few HOS, and I don't like the way you have to click on some of the objects blindly to find where you can open something to find something else. With some objects you get a moving hand that indicates that you need to do something, but when you have to find an object that is hidden inside another object, the cursor does not change. So I just clicked randomly around until I get to an object that opens up.

Anyway, I felt tired and fed up with this game, so I exited it before I finished the bonus game. Also, I wasn't at all happy with the graphics, especially in the HOS.

Edited on 10/28/2012 at 4:26:22 AM PST

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Oct 28, 12 11:25 AM
Got this as CE game - it was ok but not as good as yesterday's CE. Did you get your days mixed up usually CE comes out on Sunday. My Mistake.

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Oct 28, 12 10:20 PM
Attention all game designers, I am tired of games that are ugly disgusting dirty environments. I want pretty places. I do not mind weird only make it clean and clear. I do not like dark environments, I want to be able to see what I am looking at.

That said, I will not be buying Sable Maze. The environments were all filthy. I do not want to feel like I need a hazmat suit to play the game.

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Oct 29, 12 6:06 AM
Hi Fishies,

I was just swimming by and wanted link to the reviews for Reviews for Sable Maze: Sullivan River Collector's Edition in case that may help.

Reviews for Sable Maze: Sullivan River Collector's Edition

Also, to see more reviews, you can also visit the game page here!

Happy gaming! 

bfgBiwa

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Nov 4, 12 11:11 AM
Boy I don't know what has happened to the caliber of games lately ..I can't even make it through the free trial. ...and my list of purchased games that I own are getting to where I can play them in expert mode and they aren't any fun anymore.. so I guess I will have to swim in new water...

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on Nov 4, 12 3:32 PM
Very disappointed in this game. The art work is dull and drab, nearly everything is grayed. You are after all in a long deserted summer camp trying to remember your past. The graphics are mostly the same with a hazy overlook. The music is bland, used to set the story but also depressing. Same as above with the iHOS with the added feature of invisible or small items. Cruddy graphics here. The point in every scene seems to be to make the player feel oppressed. It worked.

The storyline is interesting enough though nothing special. You are having nightmares from your youth about something bad that happened at the camp so you must go back and chase forgotten memories. The game does not give instructions for puzzles, you must figure out what to do. Most are puzzles we have seen many times. Hint button is slow to refill and mostly useless. You do have a map and a journal. Gameplay does require your thinking cap but it's an awkwardly slow game and doesn't really capture the imagination. I believe another reviewer said it best. The game is "tedious".

All in all I would give it a two rating at best. Which is a shame because it could have been a good game to play if there were something imaginative and brighter about about it. I did like the moving tree's with their evil faces. That was cool.

I do not recommend this game.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Nov 5, 12 4:48 PM
I played about 1/2 an hour and was bored. I don't like just plain HOG's but do enjoy the mixture of HOG and mostly FROG. Nothing out of the unusual, So it's a no-buy for me. Although the graphics are very crisp and awesome.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Nov 18, 12 12:36 PM
Good game...no technical issues throughout. I enoyed the story too...different with the trees attacking...lol. I do recommnend this game...so have fun & enjoy!

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Nov 20, 12 10:28 AM
Great game and story. Good graphic's. Puzzles good and HOS good too! Fun game to play.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Nov 29, 12 7:19 PM
I enjoyed this game. It was creepy but sad too and put a whole new perspective on camping!
Clear good graphics, music fit the theme and it kept me on my toes through the whole thing. It was great!

ford05
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by ford05 on Jan 2, 13 3:09 PM
psilocybin wrote:Attention all game designers, I am tired of games that are ugly disgusting dirty environments. I want pretty places. I do not mind weird only make it clean and clear. I do not like dark environments, I want to be able to see what I am looking at.

That said, I will not be buying Sable Maze. The environments were all filthy. I do not want to feel like I need a hazmat suit to play the game.

I so agree with you ,, more cheerful games be nice for a change

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Jan 16, 13 2:22 AM
I used a coupon to get this, as the premise seemed interesting. My feelings are truthfully all over the map, so I'm going to categorize my thoughts.

Story: For me, the story is everything. (I'm a writer, what can I tell you.) The basic idea of this one is good - a grown man haunted by repressed memories of traumatic events at his childhood camp. I was intrigued by the fact that the game apparently takes place in Scotland and has a great deal of Celtic mythology behind it. However, my suspension of disbelief was stretched by the fact that none of the voice acting sounds remotely Scottish, and by the fact that Sullivan is in fact an Irish name.

Graphics: Not bad, though as others have pointed out, everything is dreadfully gray. While that does add to the creepy feel of the game, it also makes things difficult to see. Quite a few times during the HO scenes, I used a hint to locate an item and wondered how on earth I was ever expected to have spotted it on my own.

Puzzles: Again, my feelings are mixed. Some of them were innovative and entertaining, others... not so much. I used my skip button a lot more than I want to admit - either because the puzzle was too difficult, or because it was a kind that I just didn't enjoy.

Gameplay: On the whole, the mechanics were fine. The hint button was useful without being obnoxious. The map is interactive, which is always helpful, especially in a game (like this one!) where you're doing a lot of running back and forth. I spotted only one minor grammatical error in the written parts of the game, which I appreciated.

Unfortunately, as I mention in the technical issues thread, I could not actually finish the game because of a glitch near the finale. I was very disappointed, since by that point I had invested several hours in the game and was not keen on reinstalling and starting all over. It's a shame; I would like to see how it ends.

On the whole, it's a pretty decent and genuinely creepy game, and I hope that any of you who decide to give it a try will have better luck than I did with that glitch.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Feb 20, 13 4:15 AM
Based on reviews, I decided to give the demo a try. I agree with those who say it's dark and not exciting.

The gameplay is slow to respond, and because I'm quick on the draw, I don't like the delay of click-to-cursor response.

I did like the creepiness of it, but that's not enough to make me want to buy the game. It's not creating enough excitement for me to buy it.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 18, 13 7:39 PM
Interesting story but no as great as other games with the same type of plot, littler bit too dark, but if you love this type of games the Se is worth the money.

Go to: