Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

TGT - Elizabeth Find MD: Diagnosis Mystery

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 13, 09 1:23 AM
I think I can say right off the top after 59 minutes of demo this is earns a:

- Incredibly clear, polished, graphics. Relaxed Mode (YEA!) and Timed. There's Unlimited Hints with a refillable gauge. A big plus is many different styles of HO scenes (List, Silohouette, # of Same Item, put items back (my new fave), sound clues and Spot the DIff) The mini-games so far have been new and semi-clever, based on the story. You can skip these, which is good because so far they have been fast click, but easy enough I was able. There is definitely a story, though a *bit* odd, a real mystery which is a plus. I could see people who don't care about story getting annoyed, there is a lot of dialog. It is quick-clickable, but I don't think skipable. There are 3 "Cases" 2 of which are Locked when you start. I assume finishing the first unlocks them, but it doesn't say. I don't think I'm near finishing the first after the demo, so I should have at least 3 hours of game and I suspect more, but I do read all dialog. Of course your mileage may vary.

- The Hidden Objects are of the absurd, out of place, gravity defying, bizarre sized, jumble variety. While in a jungle, haunted house or city alleyway we can suspend our disbelief and go with it but in a pristine hospital setting this is quite jarring. Laughable really. Stethescope in hospital = good. Beetles in hospital = Bad. The Hint Gauge fills slower each time you use it. Assuming the game gets harder as we go along that's bad. I have had to use a hint in several scenes now and this concerns me. Particularly when it comes to the next bad thing - unreliable clicking. Hotspots are sometimes tiny and very picky. There is a small icon for an airplane I needed to click on. I had to hit it 8 times before it took. Sometimes I am not sure about the object, click it, doesn't take, assume wrong, get a hint, and find it was right, just a bad hotspot. The Sound Clue scenes - the sounds are poorly recorded. The tape sound sounded like the gun from space invaders. The hammer like someone tapping a desk with a pencil. Etc.

I will admit as I went along I got more into this game and did buy it. It's got some bad quirks, but enough good stuff and variety I want to see where it goes. ...and I gotta solve the mystery!

Edited on 02/13/2009 at 1:50:14 AM PST

sawadee93
Koi
Koi
128,219 Posts

Re:TGT - Elizabeth Find MD: Diagnosis Mystery

[Post New]by sawadee93 on Feb 13, 09 1:25 AM
I'm waiting look forward to your review every day

blingykins
Shark
Shark
13,353 Posts

[Post New]by blingykins on Feb 13, 09 1:30 AM
I'm waiting too

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 13, 09 1:31 AM
I too am waiting, looks like a great HO!

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Feb 13, 09 1:39 AM
I waiting too because I had trouble with the demo. Some of the Item List did not show up. I tried several times - even uninstalled and installed again - same problem....It was fun up til then.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 13, 09 1:53 AM
Oh! Forgot to mention - there is another cool game mechanic. You have a "Medical Kit" and sometimes need to gather various samples or examine patients using the tools in it. Not exactly Inventory Puzzle challenging, but a nice added feature I think.

Edited on 02/13/2009 at 1:54:00 AM PST

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Feb 13, 09 1:59 AM
Thanks Poodle - excellent report....very much what I thought as I played. I don't know what happened. but, I'll give it another try.

blingykins
Shark
Shark
13,353 Posts

[Post New]by blingykins on Feb 13, 09 2:04 AM
I'm so dense .. I didn't realise it was a HO

sawadee93
Koi
Koi
128,219 Posts

[Post New]by sawadee93 on Feb 13, 09 2:04 AM
Thanks Poodle, will definitely try the demo

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Feb 13, 09 2:04 AM
Thank you PD. I like this game - find the story interesting - not having too much trouble finding things but not to easy - like that you can skip the mini-games. The says

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 13, 09 2:15 AM
Ok, I was wrong about one thing: I *was* nearly finished with first Case and I went right back to the game after last post so... about 75 minutes for me on first case. Still should mean 3 hours for sure. The next case did indeed unlock when the first was finished and I'm excited to see what this one will bring!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 13, 09 2:18 AM
GeeBee wrote:Thanks Poodle - excellent report....very much what I thought as I played. I don't know what happened. but, I'll give it another try.

Don't know, GeeBee. I've had no technical issues so far. (except the dang teeny hotspots! ) Hope it gets sorted for you.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 13, 09 2:33 AM
blingykins wrote:I'm so dense .. I didn't realise it was a HO

Purplerabbit wrote:I too am waiting, looks like a great HO!

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 13, 09 2:35 AM
Thanks Poodle, still sounds good and I will probably end up buying it after the trial.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Feb 13, 09 2:46 AM
I concur with Poodlebear on much of the game review.

-Had to click some items several times for it to take.
-I only used the hint button a couple times & that was so I could move along faster in the demo. HO's were fairly easy to find.
-HO's totally out of place for the scenes! That lizard sure gets around. Finding the HO's had nothing to do with the story except when using the medical kit.
-I kept wondering why doctors were doing detective work which does not happen in real life.
-Mini games pretty easy so far.

Ok game if you need a HO fix, which I don't at the moment, so I am going to pass for now. I am still waiting for a more challenging game.
I give this game 3 out of 5 stars due to the fact that it's fairly easy & the HO's just don't make any sense in the game play.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 13, 09 3:28 AM
The 2nd Case took me a little less than an hour to solve, so not totally sure it will last 3 hours after all as I become more familiar with the game. Scenes do repeat but new ones are added with the new case as well. There are story aspects that continue too, which works for me as I like stories in games. Some of the best Spot the Difference I've seen in a while and I'm loving the "put stuff back" scenes. I hope to see more of this mechanic in future games. The Sound Cue scene in the 2nd case was better, but some sounds still pretty bad.

Yeah, I am bothered by the nonsensical HO stuff too, scotcat. There is connection to the story as some of the things you find are clues, not just the medical testing stuff, but for the most part, no, and there's no reason or explanation *why* you are gathering cheese and swords and lizards from a hospital room... In fact when you enter a scene it's clear during the dialog, then all this stuff just appears. When you have found all things on the list it all just disappears again.

I can see how this is a struggle for developers: why *would* you need to find the stuff to make a hidden object search make sense? It is sometimes done very well. Murder Among Friends comes to mind. But for the most part there is little incorporation into story. I's like to see them work harder on this in the future as Hidden Object games continue to evolve.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 13, 09 3:31 AM
Well, I would argue that some of the best HO series have non-sensical objects to find, especially MCF.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

Elizabeth Find MD: Diagnosis Mystery

[Post New]by care___916 on Feb 13, 09 4:06 AM
Great graphics nice and clear. Think I will purchase this one.

Celeryhart
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by Celeryhart on Feb 13, 09 5:54 AM
I bought this mainly out of desperation for a new game. But the graphics were good, I could skip things. ..which I did.. and I had plenty of hints. The use of "tools" over and above the Ho's were not terribly exciting ...but a diversion at least.
I never read the story line.. so can't say whether it was good in that respect. So the developers at least gave me some of the main things I require out of a game.!

It will pass some time this early morning... and I am SO DYING FOR A GOOD GAME.. !! There must be something coming down the turnpike.. eh...?

Any idea when Dream Chronicels 3 is coming..? Now that should be a good one.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Feb 13, 09 6:12 AM
Thanks PoodleBear. Your reviews are so informative. I haven't tried the demo yet, but I'll be surprised if I don't buy this one. But right now I need my morning cup of Joe. You must be in a different time zone. Either that or you get up mighty early.

Edited on 02/13/2009 at 6:12:41 AM PST

Go to: