Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

Have Questions? Need gameplay help? ToE Developer here, at your service!

[Post New]by Frogdice on Oct 30, 12 3:38 PM
Hello Fishies!

I am Michael Hartman, President of Frogdice, the developer of Tower of Elements. We are big believers in strong gaming communities which is a big reason we were so excited to have our game on Big Fish.

I'm here to answer any non-technical questions about the game. If you want some advice, gameplay help, or even if you are curious about how or why we designed things a certain way, don't hesitate to ask.

Of course technical issues should be posted in the technical issues thread.

But for everything else, feel free to ask away!

And thank you so much for playing our game. We really hope you have a blast with it.

Edited on 10/30/2012 at 3:38:42 PM PST

Re:Have Questions? Need gameplay help? ToE Developer here, at your service!

[Post New]by Chiblet on Oct 31, 12 10:55 AM
This is super cool that the developer of the game is here to answer questions for us Fishies.

I have two questions already. One is gameplay and one is a curiosity.

What is the purpose of the second fire spell, Burn? It seems to the same thing as the first fire spell, Ignite.

Who did your voice work? Did you outsource it or do you have someone on your team?

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Oct 31, 12 1:33 PM
Chiblet wrote:This is super cool that the developer of the game is here to answer questions for us Fishies.

Thanks! We have been in business for almost 20 years and maintaining a close relationship with our players is really important to us.

Chiblet wrote:
What is the purpose of the second fire spell, Burn? It seems to the same thing as the first fire spell, Ignite.

Burn can only detonate a single FIRE run. Ignite can detonate ANY rune, no matter what element.

To explain in more detail:

The four "Tier 1" spells do a similar thing: they trigger a single rune of a specific element.

Ignite is similar to those Tier 1 spells but it can be used on any element.

I hope that makes sense.

Chiblet wrote:
Who did your voice work? Did you outsource it or do you have someone on your team?

Our sound/music guy is in house. He's awesome. He did all the voice work as well. yes, even the goblin wizard (level 30 boss).

Thanks for your questions.

Keep 'em coming!

[Post New]by Heavenlyrabbit on Nov 1, 12 9:31 PM
I have earned several more Spells but only the original six we get show up on the bottom left of the screen: Gust, Crack, Ignite, Burst, Whirlwind, Healing Well.

How do we access the other Spells?

No matter how many matches I make, none of the other Spells show up on the bottom left bar where the Spells are. Only ever the first six.

For instance, I earned Sandblasat, Burn, Gale, Bury and Inferno but have no access to them during game play. No matter how many matches I make.

They never show up on the bar.

Also, sometimes when I use the Healing Well, the Health bar on the top left goes all the way down. I thought using the Healing Well would do the exact opposite.

Also, sometimes when I play I cannot make any matches. The cursor just stops working.

Also, sometimes when I make matches of three or more, they don't clear off the board.

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 1, 12 10:38 PM
Heavenly: When you are in your spellbook, do this:

1) Click on the spell you want to put on your hotbar (hold the mouse key down after you click on it).

2) Drag the spell down to your hotbar (left side is for spells) and pick a slot where you want to put the spell.

3) You can move spells around wherever you want them on your hotbar.

NOTES:

=> We originally "taught" you how to do this in the tutorial, but feedback we got from people was that this started making the tutorial too boring/long.

So instead, the game auto-places the first 6 spells you learn, but after that (once your bar is full) you need to drag them down there yourself. That way you can pick which 6 you want to use.

=> The match making to "empower" them is only for the 6 you have active in the game. Empowering it means you have charged it up so you can use it.

=> If my explanation wasn't good enough, I can make a youtube video or something to demonstrate. Hopefully I did a good enough job explaining.

=> Since you have learned all these other spells, I assume you are pretty far into the game. That's awesome. I hope you are having fun with it!

Edited on 11/01/2012 at 10:41:50 PM PST

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 1, 12 10:45 PM
Regarding your last 3 issues, those all sound like technical issues. I will pass them along to our programming team, but you should also post them in the TECHNICAL ISSUES thread here.

Big Fish Games handles technical support for the game. They do that for organizational purposes and to avoid confusion.

I am here to answer gameplay questions, help people out, or answer questions about the story, the lore, or why we designed things the way we did.

I hope that makes sense!

[Post New]by Heavenlyrabbit on Nov 2, 12 8:22 AM
Thanks, I'd LOVE to see a youtube video. More information available is always appreciated. I could see where people would get bored with longer tutorials. Admittedly, I am notorious for breezing past tutorials anyway and missing important information.

I love Match 3's but don't very often play times mode. In fact, your game is the only one I do play timed because it's intrinsic to how you built it. So I give you very high grades for that. It's unusual for me to get into the "pressure" of a game like this. Part of the fun is waiting to see who the new Boss is going to be... and how hard it'll be to get them gone :-D

If ever you were to release a 2nd version, my advice would be to simplify or code the Spells to correlate more closely or easily to the elemental runes they influence. I still fumble a bit.

Thanks so much for replying.

Edited on 11/02/2012 at 8:23:52 AM PST

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 2, 12 11:28 AM
Heavenlyrabbit wrote:Thanks, I'd LOVE to see a youtube video. More information available is always appreciated.

Ok cool. I will put that on our to-do list of things to create for the game. We are new to Big Fish so I don't know if we are allowed to add a video to our info page. But Maybe!

Heavenlyrabbit wrote:
I love Match 3's but don't very often play times mode. In fact, your game is the only one I do play timed because it's intrinsic to how you built it. So I give you very high grades for that. It's unusual for me to get into the "pressure" of a game like this. Part of the fun is waiting to see who the new Boss is going to be... and how hard it'll be to get them gone :-D

That's awesome! I think you will enjoy some of the bosses as you move through the game. There are some really neat ones (imho of course). The final boss is really awesome.

Heavenlyrabbit wrote:
If ever you were to release a 2nd version, my advice would be to simplify or code the Spells to correlate more closely or easily to the elemental runes they influence. I still fumble a bit.

If this game does well then we will definitely make ToE2. We already have a lot of ideas of things we'd like to add, and we'd be psyched to hear ideas from people who buy the game as well.

Heavenlyrabbit wrote:
Thanks so much for replying.

You are very welcome. We love communicating with our players and hearing their thoughts and feedback about our games.

Edited on 11/02/2012 at 11:29:20 AM PST

[Post New]by carolar on Nov 2, 12 7:52 PM
Now that my power is back on here in Jersey, I opened ToE on my MacBook Pro using the Track Pad. I have finished many M 3 games and never had this problem. I only got to striking down the enemy in the tutorial and got stuck. I can't seem to be able to connect the squares to strike the figure no matter what I do.

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 3, 12 9:04 AM
carolar wrote:Now that my power is back on here in Jersey, I opened ToE on my MacBook Pro using the Track Pad. I have finished many M 3 games and never had this problem. I only got to striking down the enemy in the tutorial and got stuck. I can't seem to be able to connect the squares to strike the figure no matter what I do.

Carolar: We are working on a patch to remedy this issue. This happens mostly when people have changed their cursor with a spell or gear, and then finish the board. Hitting ESCAPE is one way that usually returns your cursor to normal.

Once you get past the tutorial this issue should never happen again.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience. We will have this issue fixed very soon.

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 3, 12 1:40 PM
Carolar: Make sure you post your concerns in the tech support thread. Big Fish Games likes to handle specific tech support directly.

What version are you running? You can see that in the bottom left corner near the green help dice from the main menu.

[Post New]by biggerstfish on Nov 4, 12 7:16 AM
Is it posible to see the Monsters skills during the batle? I was not sure if I can hit all the Monsters with any spell. Sometimes was very hard to hit them and I was not sure if I can better succed with fire insteed water or air insteed earth. This was a litle bit confused.

I also miss an Exit and a pause button, because I have to force quit Game if I want to leave the game. I also didnt found a back to Main Menu button.

Better game help will be very nice :-) Not all of us are beta-tester and understand all the tricks without words. I also had Problems at the beginning and have to google for the Spells. It was very hard to find something, because the gam is very new? It did'nt realize that you can drag and drop the spells into the down Fields. The tutorial was not very helfpful and very short. Some "how it works" unter the help function could be useful.

I LOVE this game, realy! It need some fine finish, but it is a very interesting Game. I hope you will make a Tower of Elements II Game i the future :-)

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 5, 12 9:21 PM
I will try to address all your questions, biggerstfish:

1) Pause = hit ESCAPE or click the GEAR icon to bring up the options menu and pause the game

2) Back to Main Menu =

* Press ESCAPE or click the GEAR icon

* Click the MAIN MENU button in options

3) EXIT/QUIT = same as above, but from main menu choose QUIT

4) HELP = look for the green Frogdice Help Dice on any screen. Click it and it loads the help index at a location related to where you are in the game.

Frogdice also has a forum dedicated to the game and a Facebook page. Just google for them.

5) We hope to make a Tower of Elements II as well. Tell all your friends about this one so we sell enough to make a sequel. We already have tons of ideas for cool things to add to the game, like more towers to defend at different locations, a capital city to build up, more spells, more gear, more monsters, more bosses, etc.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 15, 12 4:14 PM
This game is fantastic!

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a new concept in match three .. Jewel Quest has set the bar almost impossibly high, but I think you've done it! Well done!

I haven't a clue what I'm doing, and don't understand hardly a word of the tutorial .. but It's great fun.

Does it become clearer as you go along?
Jo

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 15, 12 5:20 PM
arthurC wrote:This game is fantastic!

Thank you so much!

arthurC wrote:
I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a new concept in match three .. Jewel Quest has set the bar almost impossibly high, but I think you've done it! Well done!

Yay! Thank you again!

arthurC wrote:
I haven't a clue what I'm doing, and don't understand hardly a word of the tutorial .. but It's great fun.

Jo

Yes, I definitely think it becomes clearer as you play more and see what sort of strategies and tactics to employ.

We also have a couple of videos on youtube that you might want to check out. If you go to youtube and search "tower of elements tutorial" you should find a 9 minute video we made that explains things in great detail.

I am really, really glad you are enjoying the game. This is our first game on Big Fish and we really hope it does well so we can make more!

Edited on 11/15/2012 at 5:21:21 PM PST

Garbonzo
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Garbonzo on Nov 15, 12 8:00 PM
arthurC wrote:This game is fantastic!

I agree 100%!

arthurC wrote:

I was a little overwhelmed at first with making matches to blow up enemies, watching the battlefield for gold, and remembering to use my spells and gear when I was in trouble.

As I played more and more I was thankful for all the extra depth in the game that ultimately let me play in different ways.

Some levels I focus totally on making matches. Other levels I use my spells and gear more heavily. It really keeps things varied.

Love this game!

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Nov 15, 12 9:02 PM
Thanks for the brilliant game (just bought it a few minutes ago) and for visiting too

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 15, 12 9:17 PM
Mojave_Rain wrote:Thanks for the brilliant game (just bought it a few minutes ago) and for visiting too

Woo Hoo!

Sorry, I still get really excited whenever I read about another person liking our game.

We've been making games for 16 years, but this is our first Big Fish Game. So it almost feels like starting over again.

I am super psyched that you love the game and I love this opportunity to chat about it with people who are playing it.

I'm happy to talk strategy, explain why/how things work the way they do, talk about making games in general, whatever you all want.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 15, 12 10:16 PM
This has become my new favorite game. I would love to see a sequel!

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 15, 12 10:29 PM
Howatch wrote:This has become my new favorite game. I would love to see a sequel!

That is awesome to hear! We really want to make a sequel. We already have a design document with tons of ideas for things we want to add.

Keep spreading the word and if enough people grab the game we will definitely make a sequel.

I'll start a thread at some point for people to share ideas for what to add in the sequel.

Maybe I'll hint at a few of our ideas too!

Go to: