[Post New]by cleoladycat on Nov 1, 12 1:33 AM
Any comments fishes?

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Todays DD November 1 2012

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 1, 12 3:51 AM
Somehow this whole series escaped my notice, so where else to begin but Episode One?
Tried it, love it, buying it!!

(Now I'll have to get the other two. )

Casual Games vs. Adventure Games pt.1

[Post New]by melikamiki on Nov 1, 12 7:46 AM
Adventure games are in league all their own and are completely different from the Casual games that BFG offers. The Adventure genre began in the 80's and took off in popularity with the King's Quest titles. This genre is more like an interactive fiction or an immersive experience, rather than a "game". You play as a character and the more "realistic" the storyline, etc, the better the game is considered (by Adventure fans). To that end, you are presented a story and some goals/puzzles are set throughout, but you, playing as the main character, are free to explore the surroundings as if you were actually in the location. There is very little hand-holding and goals are loosely indicated, in emulation of real life. For example, should you be investigating an abandoned house, you may notice a discarded hammer on the lawn and simply walk past it. Once inside, you find a sealed box whose nails can be pulled and, remembering the hammer, you go back out to fetch it. You can't have a huge inventory because in "real" life, you physically can't nor want to carry everything you come across that may be useful in the future. This is the type of behavior that Adventure games try to emulate, which is precisely what turns off Casual Gamers, as they can't understand why the hammer wasn't placed into the inventory when you "looked" at it earlier or wonder why they are wandering around without clear and specific goals.

The casual game companies took the major parts of the Adventure genre (storyline, searches for items needed, & puzzles) and distilled them down into the typical HOG/Adventure Casual game. Instead of exploring the environment and being sure to notice/remember all that you are capable of seeing in the game in case it is needed later, you have a HOS where a needed item (no matter when in the game it is needed) is automatically placed in the inventory. Puzzles are a mixed bag depending on the developer, but are pulled directly from the Adventure genre (color matching tiles on a box, etc). In Adventure games, the more complex, unique, and difficult the puzzle while still being logical, the better. In Casual games they are thrown in simply to break up the HOS monotony. (con't)

Casual vs. Adventure games, con't

[Post New]by melikamiki on Nov 1, 12 8:07 AM
The storyline in Adventure games is to have a very complex story with character development & is an integral part of the game. Dialogue and story often contain clues as to goals & motivations for your character and other characters. Adventure gamers rarely "click through" dialogue. In Casual games, the story is condensed down to only what is needed to move the game forward and the dialogue is simply extra, since if you click through it, your goals are listed anyway.

Maps are normally not provided in Adventure games because, again, as in real life, you aren't going to have a map of private property. Adventure gamers make their own maps of the game world, usually utilizing a flow chart type schematic. An average Adventure game should last around 15 hours or more. A long one provides over 20 hours of play. Casual games on this site last around 4-6 hours. Game play for an Adventure game is more intensive, as most gamers keep some sheets of paper to make their maps and list their goals, etc. Again, this is game play which tries to emulate reality. Graphics are nice to have, but they don't need to be spectacular simply because it is the story that is important in Adventure games. Since the story is minimized and the game play similar, graphics become important in Casual games to set off the game from all the others or to attract players.

This is not to say that one style is better than the other. HOG/Adventure games are an offshoot off the Adventure genre. I prefer Adventure games because I like to be more immerse in the game. I have many HOG from BFG, but I find that they are very repetitive for me, and I finish them in about 4 hours. To me, the casual HOG games on BFG are all the same with very little variance. They are great for the office computer because you can stop playing them and pick them up easily - they are not immersive.

Which brings me to today's DD. The Delaware St. John series is in the Adventure genre, created by a single person (as far as I know), the latest installment made at least 4 years ago. Whenever I see one of these independent developer releases on this site, they are summarily bashed into oblivion by the reviewers simply because they can't fathom the purpose of such a game, which is a shame since these are very nicely priced games that are very enjoyable for Adventure fans. (con't)

Casual Games vs. Adventure Games, pt.3

[Post New]by melikamiki on Nov 1, 12 8:24 AM
This is the first full game produced by this developer and as such, is the worst of the series. There were a few places where the programming wasn't clean and it made the game play difficult. I already own this game, so I don't know if this problem was addressed before the game was offered here on BFG (probably not). It was towards the end and not particularly difficult to get over, just a little choppy for my tastes. The graphics on this game will be bland compared to today's eye candy, but they aren't bad at all. Remember, the goal is a realistic environment, not pretty. There will be no sparkles, no map, and no goals conveniently listed for you and the hints will be just that, hints.

For Adventure Gamers:
The game was very short in this installment, somewhere around 4-5 hours. The game play itself was nice. Where this game shines for me is the story line and environment. I like exploring abandoned areas and ghost stories, so this game works for me. Throughout the series you have a game storyline and you also get an over-arcing storyline interleaved with the development of the St. John character. The story is well done and engaging. This game is a great price at $2.99. If you enjoy the Adventure genre, then I highly recommend you buy it today. For Casual gamers, all I can say is, give the trial a go, you may find you like Adventure games.

chickenjools
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by chickenjools on Nov 1, 12 8:58 AM
I love adventure games so was really looking forward to trying this. It is extremely atmospheric and quite spooky at times. The graphics were a bit old fashioned but nevertheless suited the game well and the music also added to the overall atmosphere and feel of the game. But oh the dialogue! It just went on and on. There was no way to skip or click through the dialogue so it took ages to get to the next step. I could have gone and made a cup of tea during the intro - it was so long. I read so much quicker than the guy can talk!

All in all I think this is probably an okay game but I can't get past the long winded dialogue so it's a no buy for me. Such a shame as I was so looking forward to a true adventure game with NO HOGS!

njmathews
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by njmathews on Nov 1, 12 10:37 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Delaware St. John adventure games. Have this on CD, but I'm going to take the 2.99 deal, because BFG downloads never get scratched!

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Nov 1, 12 11:04 AM
I am a fan of adventure game going back to Mammoth Caves (ZORK predecessor) My favorite series was the Scott Adams (not the cartoonist) adventures and still prefer the text adventures. Most of the adventure games on BF are large file games in 3-D. I am unable to play these games as I get motion sickness. Hopefully BF will have more adventure games in 2-D

stephensol1
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by stephensol1 on Nov 1, 12 7:42 PM
unbelievably annoying. I hate games where you can't skip past the credits and get to the game. The demo is 30 minutes and 7 was going through slow talking and credits. I deleted immediately.

Catnipper
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Catnipper on Nov 1, 12 8:20 PM
Melikamiki, thank you so much for taking the time to write your beautiful homage to adventure games. It brought me right back to the days when I had a desktop, no Internet, and spent all my money on books or games. My love for books is the reason I so enjoy adventure games. As you said you immerse yourself in the story and the environment, just as in a book. You can explore and investigate with no time limits and thoroughly enjoy yourself with no pressure to "win."

Back then, I'd pay $50-$60 for a big box covered in colorful screenshots and very little inside save for a floppy, later CDs, instruction booklet and sometimes maps or posters. I couldn't wait to get home and immerse myself in strange lands or planets and explore and adventure as another character.

When I first discovered BF I was excited to have access to games, but I was put off because it all seemed to be hidden object games which were not as engaging as being carried off by a good interactive story. So it was a few years before I reinvestigated and joined BF when I found there were some other types of games.

Since then I've come to appreciate HO and M3 games at times when I want to take a break and not tax my brain. But my first love will always be the adventure game.

Thank you for your evocative and well-written, nostalgic trip down memory lane.

I just bought this game. At $2.99 it's a steal!

Edited on 11/01/2012 at 9:18:41 PM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Nov 1, 12 10:52 PM
stephensol1 wrote:unbelievably annoying. I hate games where you can't skip past the credits and get to the game. The demo is 30 minutes and 7 was going through slow talking and credits. I deleted immediately.

I thought I was being tortured. I made the mistake of opting for a tutorial. I don't even know how I finally got out of that! The volume was very loud and it's late and there was no way to turn it down.

I gave it a second chance and that's when I ran across the credits. And I waited for that to end only to listen to the protagonists chit-chatting forever. There is no way to fast-forward through the talking - and there is a LOT of talking.

The little girl chanting the nursery rhyme? C'mon! Get crackin'! Why are you so slow?

What is this? A 30-minute demo?

It's torture. I wouldn't buy this for $2.99. I don't care how good the story is.

Go to: