shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Comments for Mystery of the Ancients:Curse of the Black Water Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 1, 12 2:35 AM
I checked the review thread and there are spoilers galore! I don't want my game spoiled... just opinions... So, I am starting a comments thread. I hope that everyone had a great Halloween, and can any of us believe it's November already?? I can't! LOL Happy gaming and will check back for comments after I get some Later gamers!

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

Comments for Mystery of the Ancients:Curse of the Black Water Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 1, 12 4:53 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I checked the review thread and there are spoilers galore! I don't want my game spoiled... just opinions...

Thanks for the warning !
I'm another who doesn't want spoilers.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

Re:Comments for Mystery of the Ancients:Curse of the Black Water Collector's Edition

[Post New]by BearKat on Nov 1, 12 5:21 AM
Yes, indeed! Shadowfax, Thank you very much!

I really appreciate Posters who will take the time to put a Spoiler Alert at the beginning of their post so one can avoid reading them.

I was almost finished with a game and read a post from someone who I thought needed help! NOT!

Just wanted to complain about its ending and did so in complete detail!
I didn't even bother to finish the game!

Will stay out of the reviews until I finish this one as I am enjoying it too much to have it ruined!

BK

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

Re:Comments for Mystery of the Ancients:Curse of the Black Water Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 1, 12 5:52 AM
Bought it as besides wanting to support the devs because I Lockwood Manor, BlackWater's graphics & setting appeal to me.

It has all bells & whistles, lots to do so far, but... on hardcore we get blackbar tips, no matter we don't want them! Game started seeming too easy but...

ETA - starting Ch5 / 6 +Bonus...Restarted hardcore but didn't select tutorial (had before to get the achievement ) & no sparkles except to indicate a hos. Hos are gorgeous & trickier than usual, really liking them!

Game gets much harder & there are some really good puzzles.
Terrific adventure, storyline builds with some quite nice surprises even.
(I'm not using transport map because sceneries are so beautiful I like walking about.) Honestly, graphics are truly outstanding, esp if you have HD display, among the best I've ever seen in a casual game.

Tons to do, lots of puzzling, excellent monsters, cutscenes & special effects; & the puzzles & tasks are very contextual, great game design!

I'm extremely pleased & entertained with the high-quality & fun factor.
Highlight if you don't mind a small spoiler:
Getting to destroy the many monsters is a blast.

Edited on 11/01/2012 at 7:05:00 PM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Nov 1, 12 6:17 AM
Good morning Shadow

Yes this is an awesome game. But the one complaint I had was that stupid gear puzzle. That was the most frustrating thing there was. I pray I never see something like that again especially if you want to go for the achievements. Happy gaming!

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Nov 1, 12 8:17 AM
Just did the demo and i don't know this game just isn't grabbing me . No logic in things found and how they are used and the flow and adventure is just way too predictable from one scene to the next. The dialog everytime i find something is irritating and using the inventory is clunky..it keeps sticking when i click to put it back. Story was just not manifesting and way too many things not coming together for my preferences and taste to feel any excitement and anticipation. Just no wow factor or magic.Given it has a map that allows you to jump...whew..that pretty much finalized where this game was going as far as being a challenge adventure wise for me. It meant overdone fillers to lengthen the game
Just wasn't for me. I am sure many others though will find this fitting to their preferences and taste so certainly give it a try.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 1, 12 8:27 AM
This game seems like dejavu to me. I found it boring because there are so many monster games out there. I used the guide and skipped almost all the puzzles. It just isn't something I'm interested in playing so I will not buy it.

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Nov 1, 12 8:34 AM
I wanted to take the time to compliment the devs on the music. I'm not ususally a player who listens to the music but this music is lovely. I also wanted to thank them for letting us try the music tracks and see the art, etc.( during the demo!) edited to add this comment
I bought the game and I'm glad I did!

Edited on 11/01/2012 at 8:35:59 AM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 1, 12 10:35 AM
I agree about the music; I thought the music in the first Mystery of the Ancients game was great as well.

BelindaR53
Clownfish
Clownfish
800 Posts

[Post New]by BelindaR53 on Nov 1, 12 11:28 AM
Is there a way to stop the sparkles?? I play the Advanced mode, and I hate them. Also, is there a way to change the play mode, once you start the game?

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 1, 12 6:57 PM
BelindaR53 wrote:Is there a way to stop the sparkles?? I play the Advanced mode, and I hate them. Also, is there a way to change the play mode, once you start the game?

Hardcore doesn't have sparkles, except once in a while to show a hos, none else.
No, we can't change difficulty in game.

I'm playing on hardcore & loving it--very high-quality game IMO.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Didn't grab me. Seems to "same 'ol" stuff.

[Post New]by shorenuf on Nov 1, 12 7:29 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:I read the reviews before trying this game, and thought I already tried it when underwater and archeologists were mentioned. I had to check and see I was thinking of Abyss, the Wraiths of Eden. This is the second one in the past few days with an underwater setting.

That one is beautiful. Maybe this one is too once it gets there, but I didn't play long enough to get underwater. It didn't interest me. From the screen shots it looks drab. I seldom spring for a CE, they have to really grab me, and this one doesn't even come close.

Ordinary HOS. Puzzles about what you would expect, with an ocean them. Starts out similar too, with your path being blocked, how will we ever get past? The answer is nearly given to you outright as you find things.

(color added by me)

In a word, Boring. And much because of the highlighted text above. Honestly -- the black bar info isn't just an obvious hint but actual instructions to do the task.

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Nov 1, 12 8:22 PM
I beta tested this game and it was good. I decided to purchase it today.....it took over an hour to download and I have the fastest internet in the country (as rated by a top PC mag). I haven't time to play tonight, but I sure hope the slow download doesn't mean problems. I really want to find out what happens after they cut you off in the demo.

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Nov 2, 12 9:14 AM
I have been a BF member since Jan 2007 and it has never ever taken me more then 3-5 minutes to download a demo or full game since i have been a BF member..ever! I only tried the demo of this game but it loaded in like 2 minutes.
I am always surprised when i hear folks talk about the time it takes to download a demo or full game version .....

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 2, 12 10:57 PM
Hi shadowfax,
I enjoyed this game ..... a lot of running around for me in the hardest mode .... didn't notice a map!!
My mind's eye did keep correcting Dagon to Dragon whenever the name appeared so I didn't appreciate being cast as a "supernasty". LOL
I thought the HOS in the Bonus Game were a lot more interesting than in the main game. Anyone else of the same opinion?

@ DeAnna2112,
A lot of us who live in countries outside of the US experience very slow DL rates.
No optic fibre or cable for me for instance .... ASDL2+ supposedly "fast broadband" where I am .... but reliant on very old telephone cabling.
I would relish a DL time of 2 hours for a large game file .... and envy your 2 minutes.

Cheers

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Nov 6, 12 6:20 PM
Great game. Nice clear graphics, clever puzzles, active map. I would recommend it, but try for yourself before you buy. '

DragonLadyOz: You don't have to live outside of the US to get slow DL speeds. Since my phone system switched to (A company that advertises fast internet that will not change for a prefixed time) mt DL time sucks. IT sometime takes 4 hours or more to download a CE.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 12, 12 4:09 PM
I'm liking this game. Clear graphics. Love the scenery and all the movement ie wind blowing, rain, clouds rolling through etc etc. Lots of startle moments. Good puzzles. Hos are doable and objects are not tiny. Game is definitely not boring. Glad I bought it.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Nov 15, 12 7:27 AM
I just started playing this; WOW great game so far ! Love the graphics, animations and looking for turtles. Love the interactive map, the puzzles and HO scenes. Everything is crystal clear.

I these kinds of games!

Also noticed the achievements; I like those, they don't seem too hard and should manage to get them all, and love the rewards for earning them, very generous!

Edited on 11/15/2012 at 7:29:57 AM PST

Go to: