saphhire
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mysteries of the Mind: Coma Collector's Edition

[Post New]by saphhire on Nov 4, 12 1:17 AM
I agree this game seems to be on the short side..not even wide screen for me,my monitor is only 17 in, WOW old fashion. This game does have a lot of HO's in junk to junk piles. I might be tempted cause of the (mind) discount, but I'll take a chance and wait until someone tells me how long this game really is. I don't know if its just me but the hint button fills real slow in the HO's and what do you do scenes, but fills real quick in the puzzles. If the game is normal length I'll probably purchase.....but I'm sadden by the games BF is putting out these days.................. BUT THATS PROBABLY WHY THEY ARE OFFERING ALL THESE DEALS........................

WolfenRaindancer
Salmon
Salmon
2,898 Posts

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 4, 12 1:18 AM
I played 59 minutes...was really engrossed in the story, which I don't find depressing. It appears to be about redemption. I have seen many people in comas and I have always been curious where their minds were. Sometimes they remember and sometimes they don't. Anyway, this one is interesting to me, and I found it almost relaxing...no sense of urgency, if you know what I mean, and that is what I want sometimes. The mystery is there, and I want to continue on. I did skip the lights in the fuse box puzzle, and it seems the button fills rapidly, as I didn't have to wait long...I did try it, like I always do, but I really don't like that particular one. There is nothing really new here, hos are slightly interactive, and a couple were a challenge. Hints are helpful, and your notebook keeps track of the things you need to remember. It does fill my widescreen, graphics are good, and this is a buy for me.

eta: My post should have come after cbtx's...just realized the time change affected the placement Thought my own mind was playing tricks, lol.

eta again: Thank you, Mary for the discount alert...it is shown in CCC, but I wouldn't have know about it if you hadn't mentioned it here, as I don't normally check there before looking at TGT. CS better be prepared for the onslaught by those who bought without knowing about it. Every dollar off helps these days.

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 1:41:08 AM PST

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Nov 4, 12 1:23 AM
Briefly coming back out of lurkdom to say I really like the storyline and am surprised to see such negative comments. Psychological drama/thriller is my favorite genre and I wish more games would follow in this vein rather than the supernatural. And yes, I have experienced loss and grief.

Aside from the storyline, the game itself isn't anything special. The graphics are just okay and the H0s are junkpile and sometimes small and hard to find, though the hint refills quickly in casual mode. There's no map, but if you click the hint button outside a H0 scene, you can jump directly to where you need to go. If the game were better quality, I'd get the CE. As it is, I'm waiting for the SE.

ETA: My post was also supposed to be after cbtx's.

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 1:25:18 AM PST

bfgBiwa
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Mysteries of the Mind: Coma Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 4, 12 1:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mysteries of the Mind: Coma Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mysteries of the Mind: Coma Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 4, 12 1:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,655 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Nov 4, 12 1:37 AM
Well, this is a first for me! I don't know if I really like this game or not!

I know I am going to get it because I want to see how it plays out.

The graphics are clear and I don't mind the junkpile HOs (much).
It fills my 23 in widescreen monitor fine.

The music is theme appropriate, considering the storyline, but it is a little more melancholy than I'd like it to be.

I think the storyline is the problem for me.

That aside, I have the usual complaint about the extras being LOCKED UP!
Fail to see why it makes a difference to the Devs or other PsTB when I access the extras after I have PURCHASED the game.

I would not pay CE prices for this game, but, as there is the discount and this amounts to a Deluxe package (game+SG) and I am curious, I am going to get it.

BK

ETA I played 55 mins of the demo before stopping to purchase.

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 1:45:46 AM PST

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Nov 4, 12 1:45 AM
Auto wide screen, voice overs, graphics are super crisp on my computer. Interactive HOS yea and a good number of them. Different than usual story line. I'll save the details for Valdy but I think I'm going to get this game. I think the music's relaxing as well. Shows three chapters plus a bonus in the strategy guide. Discount code MIND makes it $9.99 today only.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
568 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Nov 4, 12 1:51 AM
Good morning everybody Okay I know we were suppose to turn our clocks back an hour tonight but why do I get the feeling that this game also did the same thing. The story was rather interesting but there is something about this game that just isn't giving me that umph factor. To start with granny or mom was so scary she almost put me in a coma

The game just feels like it may have come over with the Mayflower it just seems so old. I don't know if maybe this was the whole affect the developer was trying to do since your in a coma and need to go back and right your wrongs but there is something about this game that is just off to me.

The graphics are certainly not the best I've ever seen, as far as I know there are no collectibles or achievements. The hint system works in or out of a search scene, the screen lags when going from one place to another and the cursor almost acts like it is gonna freeze up and sometimes hesitates before doing anything. As of right now I don't think I'm gonna be getting this one.

I appreciate the effort the developers put into the game but I feel like there is just so much more that could have done. I've never had so much trouble trying to find something in a search scene everything is so mumbled and jumbled that it is very hard to find anything then you throw in the hazy graphics and that only makes it harder.

Give the demo a try you may have different feelings than I do. For everyone who likes the game enjoy your game and have fun.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,754 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 4, 12 1:56 AM
Very, very disappointing game from a developer I usually like. (Vendel). For several reasons:

The story is an extreme downer, and not at all fitting with the sort of fare I'm accustomed to in a casual game. A terrible auto accident leading to a coma leading to being trapped in one's own mind leading to a desperate hunt to fix the wrongs of the past----GOOD GRIEF!!----give me vampires, werewolves, ghosts, and nutty professors any time. I don't play games to be taken down avenues of this sort of maudlin thinking. Over the top depressing, and that means the game is not fun to play in the least. And I would think BF, knowing the demographics of their customers would realize that this type of theme would hit a nerve for a lot of folks.

The game itself features graphics and art work that can only be described as "ordinary".

No widescreen, a must for a CE offering.

Junkpile deluxe HOS.

Limited extras, which are not available to see before purchase. (BTW, no musical soundtrack is offered because the same track plays over and over.)

Three chapters plus a bonus section comprise the Strategy Guide, and that worries me that the game might be very short.

This poorly executed game with its tasteless theme gets my vote as one of the worst offerings of this or any other year. BF should have thought about this one a lot longer.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
8,099 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 4, 12 2:13 AM
Morning, all...

This game has 3 chapters and the bonus chapter. But don't let the "only" 3 chapters fool you. I have played games with 15 chapters - all very short - and played games with 3 or 4 chapters - all very long. So you can't really tell how long a game is, just going by the amount of chapters.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is no widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is no map. However, when you use the HINT button outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), you get to see a picture of where you should go next. Click on it, and you will be transported to this place.

Your Memories (diary) is at the left.

Your HINT button and the SG (strategy guide) are at the right.

The HOS are interactive, and appear frequently.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons only take about 25 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

I like the graphics, and gameplay is pretty much straight forward.

I also like the fact that this game comes in 3 different parts (3 dreams), which I prefer to having to deal with just one long story in a game.

In the first HOS, I experienced a kind of glitch: when my cursor changed to a gear so that I could combine 2 items, it wouldn't change back to the normal cursor after I had finished. Just as well I only had 1 more item to find in the HOS. When I went out of the HOS, my cursor was still a gear, so I went to the Main Menu, and then, when I got back into the game, the gear had disappeared. *phew*

Well, under normal circumstances, I would have waited for this game to come out as an SE. However, since we can get this game for $4.00 less AND we are getting an extra punch, I will buy the CE.

--- --- ---

Edited to add that I gave myself several hours to think about this game, and have decided to wait for the SE to come out. As I mentioned, this game is pretty much straight forward, and doesn't even have the by now often usually added extras like Achievements and/or Morphing objects and such that are included in most CEs nowadays.

I like this game, but I am not one of the peeps who enjoys stumbling over one HOS after another, and the gameplay was OK but not exciting enough for me to want to buy this game even at a reduced price and with an extra bonus punch. So, as I said, I will wait for the SE to come out. Am looking forward to play this game in a month's time.

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 7:09:26 AM PST

Sforet71
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Sforet71 on Nov 4, 12 2:17 AM
I never demo games, I buy them if they sound interesting and mainly by reading reviews, When I checked there was only two reviews one like the game the other really had me thinking this was a horrible game but I decided to get it especially since we had the "mind" discount. To my surprise I really like this game so far. For me it seems to have enough hidden object scenes which I didn't think seemed like junk piles and they are interactive so not just plain HO scenes. So far I also find the story line to be interesting, maybe it will appeal more to people who are into paranormal and afterlife etc. I normally don't stop in the middle of playing to come write a review for games but just thought that others should not base their decision to buy this game on all the comments..demo it if anything because maybe it has the right type of HO game play and adventure for some. I am glad I bought it and ready to get back to it.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Nov 4, 12 2:22 AM
I couldn't disagree with such critical and negative reviews more, I am loving this game, different from the norm and I absolutely love HO scenes, the more the merrier. The game plays in fullscreen and the graphics are lovely. I know the storyline is somewhat depressing but it is all about having the chance at redemption and I find it quite interesting. I think the Developer did a great job, more please . I, too, am surprised at the negative comments about this game. I think us fishies have been quite spoiled and we are being too hard on the Developers. It is not easy to create these games, takes alot of time and effort. I am definitely going to get this game, especially at the discount price! To all that like this game too, enjoy!

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 4:49:30 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,626 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 4, 12 2:54 AM
This game did open in widescreen for me but it seemed stretched a bit more than usual and my cursor disappeared beyond the edge of my screen. When I came to the first hidden object scene I clicked all the way down while it was out of sight just to see if anything was hidden there and incurred a click penalty of a mini earthquake and the screen darkening .

I felt there were just too many HO scenes for my personal taste and the game just didn't grab me enough to want to play more. Sorry devs I know you have worked hard on this game but even if the game had been a bit more interesting to me I wouldn't have purchased as a CE.

I know the Deluxe idea fell flat but the more games I play I, personally, am leaning more and more to only wanting the strategy guide as an addition to any game and nothing else, not even the bonus play. I would prefer the actual game to be longer with the story ending properly full stop. I don't know how long each of the 3 chapters actually are in this game but I felt this whole game was going to be on the short side by how much I had accomplished in the first chapter in the 3/4 hour that I played.

Cherb

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,154 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 4, 12 3:53 AM
Why on earth does this rate CE status?!?!

There's no widescreen option, the H0 scenes are far too plentiful and cluttered/junkpile, graphics are run-of-the-mill, voiceovers are blah... the whole game just comes across as tedious. There's no clue of what the extras are either, you can preview the SG but not anything else. Are they available when you buy? Or not until you finish? It doesn't say.

If you want a great game go for the recent Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden instead... that one wasn't a CE but could have been.

Two stars and I'm being VERY generous with that. No buy here, not even on sale.

ETA: Forgot to say... I LOVE paranormal/time travel etc etc etc... so it's not that I don't appreciate the concept... it's just a blah game.

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 3:54:46 AM PST

HOG_ger
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by HOG_ger on Nov 4, 12 4:56 AM
good art, good start. I like the story line. When you get to ch 3, it's like they were in a hurry to wrap it up and it was a real let down. and bonus ch was not much more than an epilogue. For the price it's just ok.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,388 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 4, 12 9:17 AM
Sitting on the fence with some other fishies!

I'm not experiencing major problems with cursor or timing of scene changes like some other fish - so that's good. Graphics are nice, VO not so much (IMO), I like H0 scenes so lots is OK & they are interactive - always fun.

But *sigh* - yeah - it's quite the realistic & leaning toward depressing plot! A little too "real life" as some have said. It's much more fun to save a fantasy kingdom, or even fight vampires to rescue the proverbial loved one than to deal with issues of real regret and psychology! It could be a cathartic game & you do want the protagonist to succeed...but...just kind of disquieting for a sunny Sunday!

We've had similar themed games, a few, but somehow this one seemes more "documentary" than "fiction"...

It's tempting with the sale & bonus punch...yep...on the fence!

As always - try for yourself! The game itself is nice, but different themes intruigue different fish - this may be right up your alley!!!

Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 4, 12 10:17 AM
Not doing so good with this game. Guess I will get the hang of it sooner or later. I don't think I am going to like it much. The hints don't really help me and guess I should try the guide on what to do next. Will keep playing and maybe it will turn out ok? A lot of junk pile HOG's and didn't like the game at all.

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 1:06:41 PM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
581 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Nov 4, 12 11:29 AM
This game gives me Deja vu of another game a while back with the same type of topic.

I find that it does have lots of HOscenes, the puzzles were ok, the graphics are nice, I guess it will please many that like this type of mystery theme.

I will not call it CE quality but is close enough.

Many will disagree, specially if you are used to the more better type of games from some of the well known and loved favorite names.

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 11:33:23 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
682 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 4, 12 3:42 PM
A game by a new vendor. At least I have not heard of this vendor and I have played games on this site for at least 5 years. It is an average game to me for a CE. Not terribly excited by it. The graphics are decent but not spectacular. We are back with the inner workings of the mind. In this case, the woman involved is in a coma and must atone for past actions. More HOG junk piles and many more than I like. I have never been a fan of hidden object screens, so if you really like games which are heavily loaded with hog scenes, this one is for you. I see it is receiving more pans than raves. I always play the games myself to see if I personally enjoy them. This time, I am in agreement with most. I am uncertain of the length, but in general, it is very dull and boring. A no buy for me and I think I will not purchase it as an SE. There have been some fairly good SE's lately from BF and I would rather play those.

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Nov 4, 12 4:11 PM
Pickles77 wrote:I couldn't disagree with such critical and negative reviews more, I am loving this game, different from the norm and I absolutely love HO scenes, the more the merrier. The game plays in fullscreen and the graphics are lovely. I know the storyline is somewhat depressing but it is all about having the chance at redemption and I find it quite interesting. I think the Developer did a great job, more please . I, too, am surprised at the negative comments about this game. I think us fishies have been quite spoiled and we are being too hard on the Developers. It is not easy to create these games, takes alot of time and effort. I am definitely going to get this game, especially at the discount price! To all that like this game too, enjoy!

I totally agree.................and I don't find it depressing at all. In fact, I find it an interesting look into the mind of someone in a coma. Does anyone on here know what someone in that state can hear or think?? I sure don't, but I like to think this is something you could do while your body recovers. Hey, one can hope.

The game completely filled my 27" screen and so far no glitches of any kind. I am not in love with the junk pile object hunt, but it's okay. I am liking the discount price and the extra punch so, of course, I bought it. (I know, I'm weak)

I like the change up from the werewolves, vampires, etc. Anyway, to each their own as usual. Enjoy it if you can, but don't beat up BF and the developers if you don't. There's always other games to choose.

Happy gaming,
Joy

Go to: