roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

Daily Deal 11/4/12...

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Nov 4, 12 1:57 AM
Downloading this game right now. It sounds like it is different from your average HOG, which I like, and I am looking forward to trying it. Would be interested in hearing other people's thoughts on the game if they would like to share them here. Do you think it is a good deal at $2.99? I may come back later and add more of my own thoughts as well after playing the demo. Thanks!

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 2:06:57 AM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

Re:Daily Deal 11/4/12...

[Post New]by JulieJay on Nov 4, 12 2:33 AM
Well I have a bit of a dilemma! I have it in my book as a "No". I downloaded it to see why it was a "No" but I only have 2 minutes of demo time left. There is no walkthrough to jog my memory and the screenshots don't help. Why did I originally put this game on my "No" list?

Akenta
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by Akenta on Nov 4, 12 2:44 AM
JulieJay wrote:Well I have a bit of a dilemma! I have it in my book as a "No". I downloaded it to see why it was a "No" but I only have 2 minutes of demo time left. There is no walkthrough to jog my memory and the screenshots don't help. Why did I originally put this game on my "No" list?

Not sure JulieJay. I actually got around to trying it out this week and had it done as a definite DD and a maybe for full price. Something about the game didn't wow me but I still found it enjoyable to play.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Nov 4, 12 3:22 AM
I think that this is a great deal at $2.99. When I first began, I wasn't sure about it, but by the end of the demo, I had to have it!

The graphics are outstanding, and the scrolling option allows you to scan from side to side for a panoramic view. Normally, I get completely disoriented when I have to scroll, but I was not at all bothered by this. You can move nice and slowly. Also, you can disable scrolling if you choose.

You can choose to disable custom cursor, which I normally choose. However, in this game I had no trouble with the custom cursor, and found it helpful. The cursor changes to a dialogue bubble when you need to speak with someone, a hand when you need to grab something, a magnifying glass when there is an area of interest, and a gear when you need to use an inventory item. It also changes to a different shaped arrow when you can travel to a new area.

There is a journal, which tells the story, but doesn't hold any clues or codes. However, it is unnecessary, as codes etc are right there next to the puzzle that you're working on.

There is voiceover at the beginning, but mostly you will have to read the dialogue.

The hints are limitless and there is no waiting for hints to recharge.

Hints can be used in both Hog scenes and outside of Hog scenes.

You can change between casual and advanced mode during the game. The only difference that I could see is that casual mode gave sparkles for Hog scenes. You still had unlimited hints and no waiting for recharge in advanced mode.

There is an advice panel that gives you a general idea of what you should do next. There is no way to turn this off as far as I could tell, even in advanced mode.....so some might consider that a little too much hand holding. It was perfect for me. If you still were lost,,you can click on the advice panel for a little more information, and clicking on it yet again, will tell you exactly what to do.. So the choice is yours in how much help you want.

There is no map. If you're like me, this could be a problem when the advice panel tells you to go to a certain place,and you can't remember how you got there However, no problem here, as the hint button will keep pointing you in the right direction.

There is no misclick penalty.

Puzzles can be skipped after 90 seconds in both modes.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Nov 4, 12 3:32 AM
contd:

There are approximately 12 Hog scenes in which you are given a list of items to find. The number of items to be found is listed on the top. Not all items are listed at once, so even if you know that you will need an item, you won't be able to pick it up until it is on the list.

There are 3 silhouette Hog scenes, where you see a picture of the items.

Also, there are about 4 scenes where you will be asked to find 12 of something, eg scraps of paper that you will use later in a puzzle.

There are approximately 11 easy puzzles in all.

You play from 2 characters perspectives, and you will change characters automatically when needed. Each character has their own inventory. I found the switch between characters to be fluid and easy.

Once I began this game, I couldn't stop playing! It took me approximately 4 hours to play, and probably would have taken me 8 hours if I didn't use the hint so much to navigate.

I think that it's well worth the time spent to try. An A game for me.

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Nov 4, 12 4:14 AM
I bought this when it came out and really liked it. I actually have it marked as 'Excellent' and 'Play again'. Granted, a year has past and maybe what was a great game then pales now. I will see when the time comes to play it again.

But, for the price of a DD, I would highly recommend giving it a try.

Happy Gaming!
Jorie

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Nov 4, 12 4:50 AM
Thanks to everyone here for their comments. They have been helpful in my decision to purchase the game, which I decided to do after playing about half of the demo.

I am not going to elaborate too much on the game mechanics, since NIMHURCHU covered all of that in his posts really well, but I will talk a little bit about what I thought of the gameplay.

I only encountered one puzzle and one H0 scene (where it lists the items to find) during the time I played. I also encountered a scene where you had to find multiples of the same item, but other than that, most of the game so far was searching for clues and finding/placing inventory items. I wasn't blown away by what I played, but I needed one more punch to fill up my card (loving this bonus punch weekend, btw), and on the plus side, It is a very nice looking game, the characters seem interesting, and the story was intriguing enough, so I figured it was worth spending the $2.99 to fill my punch card. It is good to know that other people here think that price for the game is a good deal.

The setting and story are different than your average haunted house/missing relative/ghost story and I do appreciate that. I get bored with HOGs that are same old, same old pretty easily. I hope this game exceeds my expectations and is much better than the average HOG. It seems like it might be so far. I also hope that other people who try the game enjoy it!

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 5:00:31 AM PST

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Nov 4, 12 8:25 AM
JulieJay wrote:Well I have a bit of a dilemma! I have it in my book as a "No". I downloaded it to see why it was a "No" but I only have 2 minutes of demo time left. There is no walkthrough to jog my memory and the screenshots don't help. Why did I originally put this game on my "No" list?

I suspect it may have been because you were stuck on a puzzle. Even with hints and the game's suggestions, it can be difficult to figure out what to do next. This is one of those games where you can't solve a puzzle too early. You have to complete certain things before the puzzle will "unlock". So, you can put the correct answer in over and over and get nowhere until you go find what you didn't do yet elsewhere. Then come back to the puzzle, put the answer in once again, and voila! It works!

That said, I loved this game! I'm a Lovecraft fan and this game follows the story pretty closely. I also liked the puzzles and the artwork is great. I paid full price and didn't even come close to regretting it.

BTW, BFG doesn't have a walkthrough for this game, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Just do an internet search for "Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness walkthrough" and you'll be able to get some help.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Nov 4, 12 12:48 PM
Thanks for the comments, and Nimurchu... you really should pop into the game forums more often! Excellent review! I will certainly be on the look out for you from now on so I hope you become a regular reviewer here!

After some discussion with myself (LOL) I decided to buy the game. After all, if I don't like a game I never play until the very end of a demo (2 mins left in this case) so I can only agree with burf90 and assume I must have got really stuck near the end of the demo and went in a huff with the game ha ha. I haven't played it yet but time will tell why I said "no" - hopefully I'll actually enjoy it now I've bought it.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Nov 7, 12 9:24 AM
Very seldom do I regret buying a game at this price, but I really do not like this one. Find it kind of disjointed and gloomy. Oh well, only three bucks!

Go to: