shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Comments for Journey: The Heart of Gaia

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 7, 12 2:06 AM
Hello fellow gamers... another {gulp} adventure game... Just kidding! I will be looking forward to your colorful comments about the game to see if I should demo after a bit of . So post away my merry pranksters I'll check back later for the consensus on this one...

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Comments for Journey: The Heart of Gaia

[Post New]by mamajay on Nov 7, 12 3:57 AM
I think you should definitely try it, Shadow I just finished the demo and am about to use a game credit on it.

The graphics are lovely and bright, the story is very a la Jules Verne - perhaps even a bit Steampunkish, the voices are good and there is some humour as well. From the WT, it looks to be a lengthy game, so another plus, imho.

Jen

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 7, 12 5:23 AM
I just played some of the demo but I found it too cartoonish and the hint button was too slow. I won't be buying it.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 7, 12 5:25 AM
The very first puzzle has me stumped and I'm playing on Casual It says the puzzles are harder if you play on Advanced. I'm getting this one for sure, it's just so bright!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 7, 12 6:04 AM
After 2/3 of demo:

I truly think I'm going to like playing this game! Lots of puzzles...some not too hard...yet, and others fairly simple. I don't use speakers so voices, etc aren't that important to me. I do like the "game play" which flows very well.

I do not care for this type of "comic book style" graphics....I prefer the more "real life look" with lots of detail but that isn't enough to cause me to not buy the game.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 7, 12 6:30 AM
I am in agreement with tj1147 here, and will be using a credit on this game. After yesterday's disappointing CE game with h.o. scenes ad naseum, it was nice to play an adventure-lite game with no hidden object scenes at all (at least in the part of the demo I have played).

Voiceovers and music are not annoying and the puzzles, like tj said, vary in their degree of difficulty, most of them being easy so far. At first I wasn't bowled over by the comic book style graphics, but the story is interesting enough to draw me in. A nice touch we haven't seen in a while is the "location completed" notation in each scene. Achievements are always a nice touch, too.

After playing 50 minutes of the demo and having a peek at the blog walkthrough to see how far I had gotten, this looks to be a long and fun game.

ETA: I have purchased and played through the 2nd chapter and am finding this game delightful! More of a sci-fi/steampunk vibe and not the sugary sweet schmaltz of the fairy tale games. If you think it too cartoony, I suggest playing through the whole demo before deciding - you might like it, too.

Edited on 11/07/2012 at 8:36:09 AM PST

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Nov 7, 12 6:36 AM
I love this game! I have their other games and this one is so different from those. I hope a lot more people at least give it a try. Thanks Devs for trying out a whole different style with this one. For me, it is a winner!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 7, 12 7:47 AM
Loving this game. I'm usually so lost in Adventure games, but
this seems to work well for my skill level. I actually finished
the demo without using a hint and only went to the W/T for
the opening move of the first puzzle(my DUH moment).

While I do enjoy HO scenes, I'm not really missing them
as the puzzles, to me, are so interesting. I don't mind
cartoon-style graphics in occasional games and these
are very crisp and clear.

Voices are fine, although it does seem I've heard the
voice of Liz in a few other games. Wish it was a
little different.

Putting finishing of two other games on hold and buying
and playing this today.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 7, 12 8:32 AM
Oh fun, fun, fun, Puzzles R Us. Hos R not. Thats good, thats good, thats good. I am really enjoying this game. Puzzles so far are easy peasy and fun at the same time. What a nice escape into a fantasy world. (who can not use some of that these days) Got a couple of credits so will use one towards this game.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 7, 12 8:44 AM
I like this game too and bought after 40 minutes and I am delighted that it is an SE unlike their Dracula:Love Kills and the Hounds of Baskerville games although I do wonder if it was originally going to be another CE due to the 26 Achievements that you can earn.

I find this game, and this type of game, much more appealing with its nice bright graphics, good voiceovers and no HO scene around every corner than I did the Coma game (which I won't be purchasing even as an SE).

Good job devs .

Cherb

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Nov 7, 12 10:30 AM
I liked the game as a whole, it was very relaxing but I found the puzzles very easy and nothing new. By the end of the demo I was bored. I also thought the "well done" notices at the end of each game were unnecessary and kind of childish.

Edited on 11/07/2012 at 2:00:40 PM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Nov 7, 12 12:20 PM
I played this game in the Beta mode and enjoyed it. Has a few twists and all is not as it seems. Try it you might like it. I'mm off to buy it after 2 min of demo. (plus beta test of course ;^)

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Nov 7, 12 12:32 PM
A nice game to spend a Wednesday with, and an SE to boot. The graphics are cartoon like, but that doesn't bother this 55 year young kid! I like having achievements to earn. The music is repetitive, so I will turn it down. I will use a pcc on this one!

[Post New]by sleepymommajen on Nov 7, 12 2:02 PM
cathyok wrote:I love this game! I have their other games and this one is so different from those. I hope a lot more people at least give it a try. Thanks Devs for trying out a whole different style with this one. For me, it is a winner!

Thanks for getting us this one Mom!! I like it so far. I have found one of my "helpers" the strong guy. I like the story in this one. Some of the puzzles are kind of hard but fun to work on them I think Alex will like this one too. It is definately for those that like a challenge and like to do puzzles.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Nov 7, 12 2:36 PM
Hi Sleepymammajen, Welcome to the pond! This really is a gem of a game and I just knew you would like it. If Alex could do Awakening he for sure can do this one and if he does get stuck show him how to get to the walkthrough and how to use it. Happy Gaming to Everyone!!!!

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Nov 7, 12 7:36 PM
Same developer as that of Dracula: Love Kills, which is a subset of the company that does the Sherlock Holmes games, which piques my interest about this game because I did love D:LK.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 7, 12 11:12 PM
Hi there,
What an absolutely delightful game. I still haven't finished it - saving this whilst I wait for the DL of tonight's CE - but I have have a great time .... except for one pesky puzzle that I skipped. Oh well, one achievement down the drain.

The cartoon-style graphics were part of the charm for me, as with the "helpers" (this seems to be something used more and more these days, but I find them great fun).

OK this is pure Adv/light ..... but you still do have to search for and find pieces of items, just not in HOS. So far my modus operandi of waving my cursor around everywhere has been a success and I have managed to navigate through the game OK without resorting to the map once I discovered it showed where actions were available even on the harder mode.

Well worth giving this one at least a trial IMO if you want something to play that isn't dark and eerie .... and it can be purchased using a PCC. I'm not sure how "helpful or guiding" the easier mode is, but there is still enough assistance in the harder one to be attainable for those of you who would like to try it .... and there is always the map which will help you if you get stuck (usually when you have missed locating a needed item).

Cheers

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 8, 12 3:25 AM
I've seen several negative remarks about the 'cartoony' graphics, which puzzles me. I think the graphics are stunning and quite beautiful, one of the major selling points for me. The voice acting is very good, nice story, logical game play and most of the puzzles made sense to me. There were a few that I couldn't figure out what they wanted me to do, so I took a bathroom break, came back and used the skip button. I still played for nearly five hours which is quite lengthy for an SE... and I was never bored. This is a really beautifully made game, and I highly recommend it for a change from the never-ending stream of hidden object games.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 8, 12 10:42 AM
Perhaps someone can help me out here. In reading the reviews, the commenters stated there were no hidden object scenes, only puzzles. But it is advertised as a "Hidden Object Game" as follows: Hidden Object Game - After being kidnapped, Liz must free the Underworld from the tyranny of Scartaris Umbra..

??????

Thanks!
Gail

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 8, 12 1:34 PM
Looks like a good game but I did not get beyond the beginning. It has only a couple of screen options: Full screen which on my wide screen is stretched or Window. I hate stretched graphics and can't understand why some players love it so. I also hate playing in a window. So, it could be a great game but I will never know. Sorry Devs, it's a No Buy for me.

BTW, I also don't really like cartoon graphics but I will purchase a game that has them if I like the Demo. This game seemed like one I would like but the graphic options were not.

Go to: