bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 11, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 11, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 11, 12 12:52 AM
Played 20 minutes, casual

- 2 modes, casual, expert

- Integrated SG

- 7 chapters + bonus play

- Voice overs

- Note book

- Map, you can jump from one location to another, shows places of interest and places where beyond objects can be found

- 40 beyond objects to be found throughout the game

- Gorgeous graphics, very realistic

- Hint refills slowly, even casual

- H0, you interact, some objects are really small, in some of them you are given objects that you must put back where they fit

- Didn't come across any mini game in the time I played, but I've seen that I will need a ring for one

You work for an agency, trying to stop different virus from spreading. In this case people just turn into unmoving, dumb, mute creatures. Where does this virus come from ? Up to you to find out, I will as this game is a buy for me. Can't wait to play !!!!
Instant buy....

Edited on 11/11/2012 at 9:49:50 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 11, 12 2:13 AM
Morning, all...

This review may contain some spoilers, so... beware.

This game has 7 chapters plus the Bonus chapter.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is Widescreen.

There is Voice-over.

There is a choice of Custom and System cursor.

There are 40 Beyonds (morphing objects) to be found.

Your Diary is at the left.

The HINT button is at the right.

Just above the Hint button is your MAP, which shows you where you are, where actions are needed, where you can find the morphing objects, and you can use the map to jump.

The SG (strategy guide) is just below the Hint button.

There are different iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), including one where you have to put items back into the scene.

The Hint button, which also works outside of the HOS, takes 30 seconds to refill in Casual mode, and 1 minute in Advance mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes over a minute (about 75 seconds) to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

This is a great game. Great cut scenes, graphics are very well done, love the various HOS, and love the gameplay, which I find fun, interesting and entertaining.

This is definitely a buy for me.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Nov 11, 12 2:31 AM
I really like this game! The storyline really is very interesting and different from the normal storylines. I will say the font size for all reading is to small. Even for great eyes. But other than that...I have no other complaints. The graphics are good and the animations. I really am looking forward to finding out what happens with this story. Be sure to try it. Good job developers. Thanks but it should be on sale like your sale says. So I will wait for a sale for this one. Only because this is a certain developers sale this weekend. That means all games.

Yes: Voiceovers
Yes:Widescree
Yes: Custum Cursor
Yes: Journal
Yes: Hog Scenes Interactive
Yes: Jumping Map
Sound: Music/Effects/Ambience
Modes: Casual/Expert
Theme: Mysterious Viral Investigation

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game! Best graphics and storyline. All the bells and whistles! The best and greatest of games! I love it!

edited: for developers name

Edited on 11/11/2012 at 2:35:28 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 11, 12 2:37 AM
Poutoule, Valdy, and Lisa have already covered the specifics of the game, so I'll keep my thoughts brief:

--I agree that this is an excellent game with beautiful graphics and artwork, excellent and smooth gameplay, and very good cut scenes (especially the opening).
--The morphing objects are always fun.
--The HOS and puzzles are nicely done.
--The game opens in WIDESCREEN, with a choice of resolutions and then offers a bit of a stretch to completely fill the screen. Well, well, what just a tiny bit of thoughtful programming can do.
--The story is intriguing and well written.
--The "jumping" map is a great addition to the game.

So, I'll definitely buy the game (somewhere, sometime), in spite of BF's specious refusal to include it in the sale of ALL of this devs' games.

Edited on 11/11/2012 at 2:38:34 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 11, 12 3:11 AM
This game runs very smoothly on my laptop, many games leave me with a jerky cursor and cutscenes. The story seems good, involving a government agency. I'm totally sick of games with blue coloring, I don't understand why we can't just have normal coloring , but although bluish in the game, it wasn't too bad. It has the best map I've seen, which is good, another site said there were more than a hundred locations! The map locations are labeled, you can jump, and you can individually disable the icons that tell you if there's a morphing object and if there's something to still be done. I'm loving the ambient and environmental sounds. I'm playing casual and there are even sparkles in the HOS. It bothers me that the wallpaper is locked until the game is finished, I just don't understand why devs do that. I like when it is unlocked when you hit that scene, I've had M3 games from years ago do that for me, why can't HOGs do it? It's a buy for me in one form or another, the locked wallpapers make it likely that it will be the SE version.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Nov 11, 12 3:19 AM
I beta'd this game and have been eagerly awaiting it. I highly recommend it.
It seems to be based on a book I read in school - The Midwich Cuckoos - or at least has elements of that story. I find the story a refreshing change and enjoyed the good ole boy farmer character :-)

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 11, 12 3:28 AM
Have to agree with all the positive reviews! Another great game from this developer; I downloaded the trial from their website in October and then completely forgot about it until today! But I'll buy it from BFG since it's cheaper here!!

Really intriguing story, excellent voice-overs, good graphics, HOS mixed up so they're not all just straight searches, morphing (beyond) objects to find (which the map does indicate but you can turn this off) and the dev has some wizard programmer that can make the widescreen option actually work. Perhaps some other well known developERS could hire him to make theirs work

Shame BFG chose not to include this excellent game in the sale of the dev's games but it's a definite buy for me regardless

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Nov 11, 12 7:03 AM
Can't add anything else but this is a must have for me. I love the jumping map...save all that to and fro that drives me crazy...also love the put things where they belong object games.....

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Nov 11, 12 7:13 AM
I agree with what everyone else said about the morphing objects, map that is very helpful, graphics, etc.

-Puzzles and minigames seem to be not too hard but yet not childishly simple
-HOS scenes were unique and so far found two different types. They are not all that easy to do and really kept me on my toes

It is a definite buy for me (as a CE) but will wait. Lately it seems as soon as I buy a game (especially on a Thursday) that weekend there is a sale for either a bonus punch or a 50% off sale that I can't take advantage of. I feel like I am a dollar short and a day late.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 11, 12 8:37 AM
I usually love Alwar games. I am in the minority on this game as well, I suppose. I dislike this game for two reasons. The first is that it is too dark. I hate playing games with depressing scenes that look like slums which have been bombed and left to disintegrate. I started the game and it looked like it would be promising - then you get to the city to only find half standing buildings with cobwebs and debris strewn all over the place. It is a dark game which appeals to some. The second reason is that I really hate a series of puzzles which require mechanical operations. Looking for batteries and soldering irons is not my idea of a fun game. Sorry, but this is a pass for me even with the discount. To **** - lighten up in both senses of the phrase.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 11, 12 10:08 AM
I have now finished the game and have thoroughly enjoyed it, all the way through - which I can't say of many games.

The bonus game took just over an hour. It is not essential to play the bonus game, the main story ends perfectly.

SPOILER ALERT FOR BONUS GAME

Hover over the white area if you want to find out what it says...

The bonus game goes back 10 years, when the babies were found. It is 1959, not 1949, as was mentioned in the main game. I was wondering why the children are still children and not young adults, because the main game plays in 1969.
So anyway, the main game by itself is a complete story.

END OF SPOILER

--- --- ---

Edited to add that I never check the time when I play the main game, so I can't say how long it took me. All I can say is that the length was just right for me.

BTW, I wasn't all that keen on the morphing objects. Firstly, they take far too long to change, and secondly, they are - in this game at least - so well disguised, that in order to find them, I had to move my cursor all over the scene until it changed into a hand, which means I had found it.
To me, morphing objects should be a little more obvious, sticking out a little more, or I rather not bother trying to find them.

Edited on 11/11/2012 at 10:37:26 AM PST

[Post New]by baglady159 on Nov 11, 12 10:32 AM

Edited on 11/12/2012 at 3:02:00 AM PST

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Nov 11, 12 10:45 AM

Edited on 11/12/2012 at 3:09:40 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 11, 12 11:01 AM
Bought this one and downloading now! Valdy - you're whited out spoiler is tempting me, but am being good and not looking!!

I still have two CE's from the past weeks sitting in my GM not yet purchased, but this one I couldn't buy fast enough! Every game is a matter of taste (well, unless it's the rare truly awful game lol) - and this one just pulled me right in from the get go!

Demo ran like a clock, always a big plus. Though the game is dark (which is fine by me...) so far it isn't "can't see things" dark - if that makes sense - just atmosphere dark. Take time to click on everything - I had a couple surprises (not scares) - this is a game you'll want to take your time with (though sounds like it will necessarily take time to find M0's & that's a bit of a negative )

Looking forward to playing it on a gloomy Sunday! It's matching our weather perfectly!

Give this one a try & Happy Gaming!

murphy1923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by murphy1923 on Nov 11, 12 11:08 AM
Based on demo, it's lovely, but way too easy even in expert mode.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 11, 12 12:23 PM
GREAT GAME! Like so much about this game, It has a story that is different, or at least I think it is.. Like that you have a map of the area and can jump right to the area you want to go. Puzzles are fun and are explained well. Graphics are a little dark but it is good because the storyline seems to be that way. I will give this a 5 out of 5 stars.. Have to deceide if I want to buy the CE or not?

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 11, 12 1:53 PM
One of my favorite devs...I have many of their games and have never been disappointed yet. This is a very nice game, nice clean clear graphics and game play. Music quiet and nice to listen to. As always, I love the voice-overs (I think they add quite a lot to a game).

Really like the jump map and especially that the spot you need is highlighted in green. Otherwise, you would be running all over the map looking for the right area. Nice SG (stays on the last page - always a major plus). Hint system good as well. Games not difficult.

I am a dog person, but I really enjoyed the cat chasing the dog for a change...caught me off guard and made me laugh.

This is a very nice game and one that I will purchase just to see what happens. Challenging and fun, with a little different story line.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Nov 11, 12 2:29 PM
Great game.. just finished. took me a couple of hours.

Go to: