bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for Web of Deceit: Black Widow

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 14, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Web of Deceit: Black Widow? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Web of Deceit: Black Widow page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Web of Deceit: Black Widow

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 14, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

josie41132
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by josie41132 on Nov 14, 12 12:51 AM

Edited on 11/14/2012 at 1:52:40 AM PST

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 14, 12 1:02 AM
Hi Fishies!

I'm just swimming by to let you know that you can find the reviews for the Collector's Edition of Web of Deceit: Black Widow over here!

Happy Gaming!

bfgTokoro

Edited on 11/30/2012 at 1:00:18 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 14, 12 3:39 AM
I remembered trying the CE of this game and not buying it; I assumed it was because I've had a fear of spiders since childhood. But I made it through the first 45 minutes of the SE demo only finding mechanical ones, so that wasn't the reason.

Good enough graphics, filled my w/s monitor, HOS not overly cluttered or full of hard to find items, enjoyed the puzzles which were different to any I've seen before and the game ran smoothly. So what turned me off the CE and ultimately the SE?

The hint system. It is completely useless. Aside from pointing you in the direction you should be heading, all it says is 'I can use something here'. Really?? I'd already figured that out for myself; it didn't need saying. But it does get said, over and over and over again until it got so annoying I just stopped playing. It even says it in the HOS if the item needs another step to be found

The hint system should say something constructive, not state the obvious. Otherwise it's pretty much redundant. I might have bought this game in spite of the spiders; I certainly won't be buying it now.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Nov 14, 12 5:45 AM
I have been waiting for this SE. I loved, loved, loved the CE but couldn't buy because money was tight. I made a note to buy this one as soon as the SE was released and I just bought it. I don't like spiders, but they didn't bother me in the game. The game is just great.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Nov 15, 12 1:34 PM
Almost finished the demo and am on the fence - mildly fun for me, but not really worth my while to pay or use a credit. Some of the puzzles (insects on web maze) were not fun and had to wait for a skip, as well as having really, really poor instructions. Live acting cheesy and annoying; voice synch really off, although I realize the actors are Russian or Polish as in most of the games. And don't bother checking for a hint if you don't really need one.

On the plus side: fully interactive map, good graphics, interesting mechanicals (I happen to enjoy watching spiders although I don't want them touching me!), attractive and/or interesting live actors. Not much toing and froing thanks to the map.

Should I or shouldn't I?

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Nov 15, 12 9:07 PM

Edited on 11/16/2012 at 2:19:43 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 21, 12 8:47 AM
Oh THAT was the worse ending I have ever encountered in a game before. Good grief, the story wasn't even finished, what happened to all the people...did I miss something here? Hint and Skip refresh quickly and HOS interactive and the mini games quite easy.....The graphics were amazing and the voice overs not bad but what happened to the story????? What a waste of money. I give it a 1.5 out of 5....what a disappointment. Had all the things needed to be a great game. Did the devs just get tired???? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 8:48:50 AM PST

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Nov 23, 12 2:51 PM
I ended up buying the SE on the Thanksgiving sale and finished it today.

I would put up a big "ending spoiler" tag on this but unfortunately there's nothing to write about the ending. It just, well, ended.

A large part of the story told about the Widow and her childhood, which was interesting and engaging, but the ending, well, just ended. No chance for redemption or change of heart. I'm pretty disappointed.

The actors were interesting characters (the Widow is quite attractive) and "spoke" slowly because they were Russian people saying lines in English, which was then dubbed over with American voices.

The puzzles were genuinely thoughtfully done, some mathematical thinking required, although the explanations were pretty sparse and incomplete.

One mildly amusing line near the end of the game: "There are 50 ways to love your lever." And, after the giant tarantula fights the wasp, "I didn't even have to pay for that show." Ironically, I DID have to pay for that show, even if it was only $4.99.

Now I've looked through the reviews for both the SE and the CE, trying to find out if the bonus ending covered any uplifting territory so I could find out what happened, but there isn't even one review of the bonus except that "the graphics were clearer."

I wish there were a standard way that posters could rate the bonus content - the way reviewers can rate the fun, visuals/sound, level of challenge and storyline as on the presentation page for each game. I'd like to know whether the bonus content completes the story line, introduces a new story line, or just takes up space and wastes my money. It would mean not having to read through 2-3 pages of anecdotal reviews to glean a few specific facts.

Any thoughts on that, anyone?

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Nov 25, 12 2:53 AM
gioco carino,ma niente di eccezionale.ho acquistato la se e sono contenta piacevole la grafica e il colore,gradevole la storia ....giocabile

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Nov 25, 12 1:47 PM
Good comments, Nikma! I totally agree. It was indeed playable but nothing special - I bought the game on sale, fortunately. Hope you did too.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Nov 28, 12 3:34 PM
Just finished the game, purchased the SE version, and I really enjoyed playing this game, so it is a , for me anyway .

I really LOVED the graphics, and artwork, thought they did a spectacular job, with those, and I also loved the layout, how the game progressed, opening up new locations, and just the game play in general, it really flowed nice.

And I am not a big puzzle fan normally, but I found the puzzles FUN and interesting, some of my favorites were the, SOS puzzle, doing the scrapbook and photo album, I just LOVED doing those, and wish there had of been more, oh and the ink press puzzle also, all of them are my type of puzzle, so THANKS developers .
There were plenty others, but I suffer from CRS, big time..lol, but I thought the puzzles and scenery were high quality, the entire game really.
The only negative is I finished to quickly, and the ending wasn't much of an ending, at all, very abrupt, with unanswered questions?
Besides that, I had a blast playing the game, and don't regret buying it, I think these developers, did a fine job, just give us a better ending, next time..PLEASE .
Maybe I should have purchased the CE, don't know how much longer the game would have been, but since I liked it so much, it may have been worth it , all well to late now .

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 17, 12 9:23 PM
the game was just ok for me, i actually was quite bored by the end of playing it.

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Dec 18, 12 5:35 AM
The graphics are good, the storyline could use a bit of work but its ok, its not my first choice of games but I would purchase it. I played the demo and it was fun, I wish it had more immediate tasks, it seems as if you are searching at times for something to do, but then it recovers and the game is ok.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jan 11, 13 3:39 PM
This is definitely on my to buy list. Enjoyed the trial very much. I never turn on my sound, so voice over does not matter to me. I would have liked to see on the map if there is something else I need to do. I am getting old and can't remember what I need to do a few scenes back. Well, I guess the hint button will have to do. I think the graphics are great too!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 17, 13 6:32 AM
this game started out great, by time to end the game itr got boring. why did they do that!---------------doug & lisa

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Feb 23, 13 4:12 PM
Not a bad game overall. The hidden object scenes weren't too cluttered and the puzzles were easy enough for even me to do.

The storyline was a bit weird - but I've seen worse I guess.

The ending didn't happen. If it did, I must have blinked. It was so abrupt I'm guessing that it was only in the CE. Shame.

What eventually drove me nuts was the dreadful - and I mean truly dreadful - acting. The characters were speaking in fits and starts, three words at a time or something, and managed to make no sense of the dialogue at all.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 29, 13 3:01 PM
Well, this wasn't a bad game, however, there could have been a better ending. There were a lot of loose ends that I felt should have been tied up. At any rate, thank you for actually having a map where you could jump locations. Came in handy when you finally found the empty oil can. Also, it was not inundated with HOS and that was quite nice, too. If you check your journal, it usually tells you what the next "thought process" is for you to do. I didn't find it tedious, the mini games were easy, IMO, and the overall game was great. Only real complaint is the ending, or rather, lack there of.

Go to: