bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Risk™

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 14, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Risk™? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Risk™ page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Risk™

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 14, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Nov 14, 12 7:37 AM
I bought "Risk" here at BFG back in 2007. It had been a while since I last visited the site, and I merely dropped by as I heard they had "Risk" out again (I had wanted to gift this to a friend a couple of years ago but the game had been discontinued).

The screen captures looked different, so I downloaded the demo to check it out. My first unhappy surprise came when my game manager indicated the older version of the game had been substituted by the new one.

Next thing I got was a couple of messages saying my graphic card drivers were outdated (which they are not). Still, the game ran normally, which is good.

I did not like the interface, nor the graphics. If you play solo on medium level it allows less AI contestants than the older version. It also lacks the wonderful voice acting the other has. I also prefer the colors and soundtrack of the older version.

I didn't play more than a couple of minutes for the feel of the game was sort of a downer. It did run fine, but it lacks IMHo all the small details that made the other version (developed by a different company) so brilliant. Besides, I was rather in a hurry to log out and see whether I could recover my old version from the purchase history (which happily I could, even though the thumbnail in the GM remains of the new version).

All in all, it's a good choice for those who like board strategy games and for those "Risk" lovers out there with no access to the old version, but the old version IMO is much better than this one.

Edit:Just wanted to say even the GM icon reverted to the old version after a while. Very happy.

Edited on 11/14/2012 at 7:50:59 AM PST

dueler
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Removed by Moderator]

[Post New]by dueler on Nov 14, 12 7:46 AM

Edited on 11/15/2012 at 2:12:07 AM PST

elijah5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,225 Posts

[Removed by Moderator]

[Post New]by elijah5 on Nov 14, 12 8:06 AM

Edited on 11/15/2012 at 2:23:09 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 14, 12 9:15 AM
Have to agree with Gieyo on this one! IMO the older verson is the better bet (sooo old I have that on disc ) I'm sure this was re-done to appeal to a different demographic - but not sure that will work either. Though Risk is a game of thoughtfullness and patience - this requires a little too much - felt like it took forever for the Dice to fight...'cause that's what you see fighting...the DICE last version had close ups of soldiers which was more interesting visually!

If you don't have the older version - give this one a try! Risk is a classic for a reason - it's a darn good game (yes...I even have the cardboard version with lots of little plastic pieces...albeit the Lord of the Rings version and the Halo version - but Risk is Risk lol).

I think this version would be a good introduction to an old favorite & one families would enjoy together - just not a buy for me because I have the older version to enjoy.

Graphics are better (more clear...not really "better") in this & there are game play options - which is always nice! Runs well, buttons are a bit tricky to click - but once you figure out exactly how to click them, they work well. I got the graphic card warning as well, but game ran anyway & looked fine. This new dev is a solid dev as well.

Upshot - this is worth trying - esp. with today's sale!

Happy Gaming!

crlmtly
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Removed by Moderator]

[Post New]by crlmtly on Nov 14, 12 1:14 PM

Edited on 11/15/2012 at 2:25:48 AM PST

CallmeCoors
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,933 Posts

[Post New]by CallmeCoors on Nov 14, 12 2:44 PM
I am really enjoying this game. I never played the original version, so to me, this game is new. I am finding it to be quite a bit of fun and very similar to the original board game. The elements are all the same as the board game, such as being alloted so many troops and trading in cards for bonus troops. I say to all of you who love board games and/or Risk....give this one a try!

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Nov 14, 12 10:53 PM
I am also enjoying Risk. This is my first computerised version, apart from a risk-type clone I've had for years.

I didn't have any download problems, and gameplay was smooth. I was particularly happy that the AI turns were fast. That clone, I now realise - you could go off, make a cup of tea and the AIs would still be at it when you returned to the game. Goodbye, clone, hello Risk!

I liked all the game elements and options, the look and feel of the game. I was very engrossed during the demo and purchased immediately after.

Maybe we'll get Stratego next?

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Nov 15, 12 1:43 AM
I seriously dont know how to play this game. I followed the instructions and guess that its kinda of like chess, but in terms of troop size and the interconnectivity increases the challenge. But when I select "attack" and the game highlighted that area, I was damn sure I had sufficient troops to defeat that opponent, but it looks like my troops doesnt moved at all, and for whatever reasons, at the end of the game, I managed to capture 3 areas and some pts.

Seriously lost!

Worst than mine (old fashion game whereby u had to guess where's the mine)

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Dec 23, 12 7:53 AM
OMG!!! They REALLY REALLY REALLY need to choose different wording...

"FLICK he dice" and "FLICKING the dice" looks like something they probably didn't mean to say on a small screen and is it even possible to F*** a pair of dice????????

In other words LI on a small screen looks like a U. I did a double take and was like OMG!!!

So unless they fix that I will NOT be buying this game... because my kids would love to play (they love the boardgame version) and that is SO NOT something I want to be teaching them...

The game is ok so if you can overlook having a dirty word shoved in your face every few minutes I guess give it a whirl. It was kind of awkard playing though and really not as fun as the actual boardgame. If they fix the above I might pick it up for those times when it's too much trouble to worry about the actual game but unchanged and it's a no buy here.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 7, 13 7:36 AM
gamergirl, I'm playing on a medium-size screen so never noticed that unfortunate verb choice. Lucky I have no small children because even if I were too naive to, they'd spot it in a New York minute! That's one reason not to use typeface sans serif for sure!

I like it, but I never played the older version people have mentioned. It's certainly rudimentary, but tough to beat on medium and expert level; seems true to the rules as I recall them, so I like it.

Go to: