bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Cruel Games: Red Riding Hood

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 17, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Cruel Games: Red Riding Hood ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Cruel Games: Red Riding Hood page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Cruel Games: Red Riding Hood

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 17, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 17, 12 1:09 AM

Played 15 minutes, casual

- 2 modes, casual expert

- Note book

- Hint refills in 40 seconds

- Ho, you don't interact, very dark, objects sometimes difficult to spot

- Beautiful clear graphics

- Didn't come across any mini game in the time I played.

Your fiance is kidnapped by the big bad wolf !!! This looks like a very nice little game, a SE I will be able to spend a punch card credit on. A buy.

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Nov 17, 12 1:41 AM

Edited on 11/19/2012 at 3:04:14 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 17, 12 2:23 AM
First, I have to declare I am a huge fan of this Dev. (They who shall not be named) and would like to thank them for NOT releasing this as a CE.

The game filled my lap top and I did get a voice over to start with, which later resorted to text only. I don't know if this is a bug, but when I was playing the piano, I got lights only & no "music" although the games background music was still playing. It didn't effect my game, but it did strike me as odd.

I never found the map during my demo time but that does not mean to say it wasn't there, so I can't comment on that.

What you have here is an intriguing story line put through the paces of a multi locational HOPA, where the game is semi linear.

What I like about it ( and can only surmise as I have only played the demo) is although the game covers many locations, only a few are available and relevant at the time, so when you move on, you only have to deal with a hand full of new locations and not complicate things with the old.

The puzzles I encountered are easy enough but refreshingly different from the norm (so far) And evilly (spoiler) You get to throw a stone at a pesky bird

When I finished my demo, a pop up screen appeared with the number of scenes, objects and puzzles etc on it, but i failed to take note of its content, how ever, this does appear to be of good length.

Definitely worth the hours demo & definitely a buy at SE price and an absolute bargain if bought with a PCC

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Nov 17, 12 2:44 AM
I beta tested this game and couldn't wait for its release. I will def get this game. It's not as good as the games that we have been seeing lately, but worth the SE price. Looks to be a older game though, no interaction in the HO's, little grainy etc. ALL THAT ASIDE I WILL BE BUYING. Good game to fill in all the time staying in with the cold weather here.................for you hot places good for when your indoors with the air on

ENJOY THIS GAME I KNOW I WILL

Just like with other games can't satisfy all.................................

_misschrissi_
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by _misschrissi_ on Nov 17, 12 7:16 AM
I played just 10 minutes of the demo before buying this game, and while it's downloading I thought I'd stop by to say what a fun little game this looks like being! I decided to demo it for the sake of it, but it actually grabbed me from the outset and I found myself quite absorbed. One of the best features is that it has what I think you call a "JUMP MAP", which highlights what areas have active tasks, and lets you jump from location to location. For those who said they didn't find it, it's accessed through your diary/notes button (once you click into it, on the left hand side there are 2 tabs - one says 'journal' or something like that, the other tab says 'map'). In my limited demo I came across a fair number of HOS, with about 12 items in each list, but the items are all pretty clear and easy to find - none of these microscopic blobs that give you an eyestrain trying to find them! Ah well, game is downloaded - time to head back to the motel and keep searching for Kevin!!

ETA: Well, just finished the game and what a great twist at the end, although I had had my suspicions Great game - loads of HOS, so if you're not a fan you might want to give this a miss, although each HOS can be completed pretty quickly (I think it only took me between 60-90 seconds to do each one, they were so simple). The jump map was invaluable, and I loved the music in the biker bar lol. I smiled a lot while playing this game - a sure sign it's a winner!!!!

Edited on 11/17/2012 at 3:10:18 PM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Nov 17, 12 7:41 AM
Not only can you use the map to jump from location to location but it also shows if there is an action to do. There are items that are very close to the hint button or the diary (in some locations) which make them difficult to spot and grab. I really got frustrated in one location that the map kept telling me there was something to do or find but I couldn't seem to see it, even when I used the hint button. When I pressed the hint button it showed a glowing circle around it-made no sense. After I came back to that spot and kept running my cursor around, I finally found it.

All in all I think it is worth the price or a CC to purchase it. There is a walkthrough if you really need it. So far between the map and hint button I don't think I will need it.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 17, 12 8:19 AM
I found the demo of this game more than a little confusing at times -- sometimes things you needed to interact with didn't show up as such with the cursor -- which is more than strange. The darkness of the game certainly contributes to some difficulty in locating things, but as I began to get used to the game and the quirkiness of it, I found I pretty much liked it -- certainly the plot is engrossing. The map is available inside the diary, and except for the first time I tried to jump with it when it wouldn't jump (don't know why), all the other times I checked it out, I could. I played 2 or 3 mini-games, which were fairly simple. Yet another confusing thing, however, is that once you go to a new scene, what would normally be a new chapter in other games, suddenly a lot of new locations become available on the map, even though you haven't checked out your initial location, so for a minute or so I was clicking on different locations trying to find my way back to the first scene so I could explore it, which was kind of bizarre. There is a lot of internal logic missing from this game (typically, tools you need show up in HOS's, but aren't available in your inventory), our heroine never considers calling the police (there would be no game), the game appears to be taking place in an imaginary Texas (she has a Texas license plate), but nothing about the terrain suggests anything of the sort, and the graveyard, which looks faintly medieval and very European, has Richard of York buried in it (huh, what???). Taking a whole lot of grains of salt to play this game, it was fun enough that I will most likely use my remaining coupon to get it, but probably swear a lot playing it.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 17, 12 8:36 AM
To me this dev has produced a short but excellent SE game. I sense this may be one that was slated to be a CE, but for some reason was never finished. I feel it is perhaps one that was shelved for awhile. Most of the HOG scenes are straight searches for items and the newer releases require some actions you must take to get the objects. Personally don't like HOG scenes in any game, but the game in itself is very good. Kudos to the dev. I did not like their last CE, but this one has redeemed them in my eyes.

Edited on 11/17/2012 at 8:37:05 AM PST

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Nov 17, 12 10:07 AM
What a great game with a fabulous little twist at the end there! I am not going to say any more because I don't want to spoil the plot line for anyone else but it was worth it and I am so glad I got the game! I enjoyed it and even though the HO's did not have any interaction elements to them it was kind of pleasant being able to race through them to get on with the story! I have to say I am still reeling from the end! LOL! You just have to play the game to find out! MWAH HA HA HA HAHA!!!!!

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 17, 12 10:09 AM

Edited on 12/03/2012 at 10:37:49 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 17, 12 10:28 AM
What a lovely surprise on a rainy Saturday! Not sure why this awesome dev is dropping so many games on us this month - but I'll take 'em!

I got pulled into the story so fast I barely did any of the demo before closing out to buy! Made sure it ran well and that I liked the H0 scenes - yes to both. Seems very plausible this was to be a CE - super glad it's an SE with all the GCs I've built up from recent sales!

This would be a buy for me even without a GC however, this dev has definitely worked its way into my Top 5 of late! Their graphics are always lovely & their story telling has hit "consistently good" vs. "usually good" and back in the day "silly but fun"

Of course, never take my enthusiasm at face value - taste is subjective - but I do recommend you give this one a try & see if you too are drawn in from the get go!

Happy Gaming!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Nov 17, 12 11:13 AM
Played it for just a few minutes... liked it but there was no sound and I did not want to mess up my computer by downloading what they offered because I don't know what it is. Games should come with everything we need. I could play without sound, no problem but when I hit the second HOG scene (junk pile) within one minute of just having played one... that's too much. Regular HOG scenes are boring enough but two right in a row without any game play or puzzle in between is not my type of game.
This is a big Pass. Had the game had sound and less HOG's, even though they were junk pile I may have overlooked it and bought, but this game is outdated. I now see why it is an SE. IMHO should have been a DD.

bfgIzara
Flounder
Flounder
2,151 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIzara on Nov 17, 12 12:12 PM
Hey barbee44,

Thanks so much for posting your review! That sound not working may be a specific game issue. If you'd like, our Tech Support Team would be happy to take a look and help troubleshoot the game with you.

Feel free to contact them by clicking here to create an support email. If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

Happy gaming!

bfgIzara

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 17, 12 1:25 PM

Edited on 12/03/2012 at 10:36:54 AM PST

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 17, 12 2:05 PM

Edited on 11/18/2012 at 4:50:22 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 17, 12 3:54 PM
Haven't had any good SE games for quite some time, but this one is not a bad game at all. Graphics nice, game play nice. Music good. HOGs simple and so are the games.

No real challenge with this one, but it was a bit fun. At least enough for me to use a credit on it today. This game would definitely have benefited from voice-overs you could have had some real fun, considering the various people in the game. I can just hear the biker's growl. As I said, a buy for me...nice game for a rainy day like today.

As always, try the game for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Nov 17, 12 6:18 PM
I'm obviously in the minorty group as I did not find this game interesting or exciting at all. When I was playing it, it felt like I had played it before, most likely because there is nothing new in it - it's the same old, same old.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Nov 17, 12 9:44 PM
Finished game, bought with a punch card coupon. For the most part, I liked the game, although I was confused by the part where "we" wonder "is this a living room or horror movie set?" (or something to that effect) and it was obviously a bedroom with a four poster bed!! That totally annoyed me! What a dumb thing to say!! I was not only surprised by the end, but was taken totally unawhere - it seemed the end came so suddenly. I thought the graphics were very good and the story intriguiging. Lots of fun!!

feenix

Go to: