bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Post any Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders CE technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 18, 12 12:46 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the Forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team.

The Forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly.

If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

When posting in this thread and also when contacting our Support Team, it would be helpful if you could state what system you are playing the game on (i.e. PC, MAC or Mobile), so we can provide you with the appropriate support as quickly as possible.

*Finally, please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Post any Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders CE technical issues here only

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 18, 12 1:17 AM
To those gamers who posted in the now locked thread:

Just wanted to say that I own a Win7 widescreen laptop, and the game opens in widescreen for me.

So far, I have played for a while, and have had no problems. Just thought I'd mention it for other gamers who may shy away from this game because of problems some peeps have.

Hope the problem gets sorted out.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

Re:Post any Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders CE technical issues here only

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Nov 18, 12 1:26 AM
Also to those in the locked thread......I too had black bars top and bottom....but I just unchecked aspect ratio and voila! I then had full screen...hope this works for all of you with this problem

galphimia
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by galphimia on Nov 18, 12 1:34 AM
I have disabled the Aspect Ratio, have full screen now, but everything is elongated, even the Big Fish Logo is an egg.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Nov 18, 12 1:36 AM
Not really a tech problem with the game but, the download speed from BF has gone very slow in recent days? Over 20 mins and only at 52%. I'm on a 60Mb line.
PS, it's not my PC or internet provider, every other site is fine.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Nov 18, 12 1:54 AM
HI galphimia, I am not sure but what is your resolution? I have a windows 7 laptop and have my resolution set to 800 x 600 and by unchecking the aspect ratio, it plays in full screen wonderfully....I hope your problem with this is solved, it's a great game....

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 18, 12 2:00 AM
Can someone please tell me where they find the "Aspect Ratio" button? I don't see it anywhere in my game, not in the "Options" nor anywhere else.

galphimia
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by galphimia on Nov 18, 12 2:00 AM
I have 1024x768, but I have a PC not a laptop. Changing the screen resolution changes nothing, have already tried everything.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Nov 18, 12 2:05 AM
@Nomatt

I'm on a 40mb line and it only took me 6 minutes to download and install full version. I am running an Asus 4 gig memory with 1000 gig of hard drive. Maybe this could be a suggestion then I had learned:

1. Go to 'Run' in field type %temp% hit enter. All temp files come up. Hit CTRL+A to highlight all files. Hit Delete and then Enter. The files that stay behind is the file the computer is using at that moment and will not delete.

2. Go to 'Run' again and in the field type temp and hit Enter. Hit CTRL+A, Delete then Enter

3. Go to 'Run' again and in the field type Prefetch and hit Enter. Hit CTRL+A Delete and Enter.

This should clear out your cache totally of all dead files totally. Try that and it should help your comp your comp to run faster since it's not carrying around all that dead weight. Hope this helps.

Sassy

Edited on 11/18/2012 at 2:40:58 AM PST

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Nov 18, 12 2:14 AM
Hi Valdy, the aspect correction is under options right below the full screen box....it is originally checked but by unchecking it, I was able to play the game in full screen....hope this works for you..cheers..

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 18, 12 2:20 AM
Pickles77 wrote:Hi Valdy, the aspect correction is under options right below the full screen box....it is originally checked but by unchecking it, I was able to play the game in full screen....hope this works for you..cheers..

Hi Pickles

Right under my "Full Screen" box is a box called "Film grain". I don't have the "Ratio Aspect" in my Options. I swear...

I have:

SFX Volume
Music Volume
Environment Volume
Voice Volume
Fulle screen / Custom cursor = on one line
Film grain
Main Menu / Close = on one line.

I have no Aspect Ratio.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Nov 18, 12 2:34 AM
I also have the "film grain" box instead of the "aspect ratio" box and I have decorative bars at the sides of my picture even in full screen and I could swear they were not there when I first played part of the demo. If I uncheck full screen the screen goes windowed--verrrry small!

They are there now however!

I have a 23" Wide Screen HP All-In-One TouchScreen and my res. are 1920X1080 which is what is recommended for my screen by HP.

Most game screens are full with no bars at all except for a few SEs.

BK

Edited on 11/18/2012 at 2:36:25 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 18, 12 2:39 AM
Hi BearKat

Then the game also comes automatically in widescreen for you. Both cbtx and I don't have the Ratio Aspect in our Options (see Comments thread).

When the game is in full screen, I have about 1 cm of black on either side, but when I go to window mode. I have a nice large window mode picture. But then again, my widescreen is only 15inch, so that will make a difference, I am sure.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Nov 18, 12 2:42 AM
wow, Valdy and Bearkat, this is very strange indeed! perhaps reinstalling the game?
this is most definitely a glitch in the game then, sorry to hear you are having such issues...

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 18, 12 2:49 AM
Pickles77 wrote:wow, Valdy and Bearkat, this is very strange indeed! perhaps reinstalling the game?
this is most definitely a glitch in the game then, sorry to hear you are having such issues...

No... there is nothing wrong with our games. I think it's those of us with a widescreen laptop that don't get the aspect ratio part, because it's not needed (also check out the Comments thread).
And it's certainly not an issue. We are getting widescreen automatically, and don't have to fiddle about with the aspect ratio. Might be a new programming thing some devs now do.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 18, 12 2:55 AM
sassylassie wrote:@Nomatt

I'm on a 40mb line and it only took me 6 minutes to download and install full version. I am running an Asus 4 gig memory with 1000 gig of hard drive. Maybe this could be a suggestion then I had learned:

1. Go to 'Run' in field type %temp% hit enter. All temp files come up. Hit CTRL+A to highlight all files. Hit Delete and then Enter. The files that stay behind is the file the computer is using at that moment and will not delete.

2. Go to 'Run' again and in the field type temp and hit Enter. Hit CTRL+A, Delete then Enter

3. Go to 'Run' again and in the field type Prefetch and hit Enter. Hit CTRL+A Delete and Enter.

This should clear out your cache totally of all dead files totally. Try that and it should help your comp your comp to run faster since it's not carrying around all that dead weight. Hope this helps.

Sassy

You say go to "Run" How do I go to "Run", where is it? The Windows box? When I tried that there was no delete button unless I right click, is that it?

Edited on 11/18/2012 at 3:54:40 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Nov 18, 12 3:08 AM
Valdy wrote:Hi BearKat

Then the game also comes automatically in widescreen for you. Both cbtx and I don't have the Ratio Aspect in our Options (see Comments thread).

When the game is in full screen, I have about 1 cm of black on either side, but when I go to window mode. I have a nice large window mode picture. But then again, my widescreen is only 15inch, so that will make a difference, I am sure.

Thanks Valdy

I have also replied in the Comments Thread!

Yes, looks like an automatic thing if you have your res. set high to begin with!
I only tried unchecking the full screen box to see what it would do after I discovered the narrow deco. bars. No biggy and sure not a deal breaker with this game!

BK

@Pickles77 Thanks for the reply, but, as Valdy says it is not the game per se, just how it is on our pcs.

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Nov 18, 12 3:09 AM
I have no Aspect Ratio either. I do have full screen, HOWEVER, I can't read the bottom row on the HOS. Unchecking Full Screen on Options gives me Windowed Mode and just a bit too small for these old eyes. I will not change resolution to play any game but I sure would like to play this one.

Marty

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 18, 12 3:30 AM
Heya Fishies,

Thanks for all the advice you are trying to give each other here! While your posts are definitely helpful it is getting a bit cluttered here though and it is getting difficult to see who is actually having display problems with the game.

For those of you that might be having problems with the game not displaying properly and it having bars on the side and/or top and bottom, the game offers the option Aspect Ratio that should get your game into fullscreen mode by unchecking it. This option will only be available when your screen resolution is too low though. If it is high enough the option will not appear.

Please note: This game has approximately 1cm wide black decorative bars on the side, as BearKat mentioned, that do not indicate a display issue.

If this doesn't help or the option isn't available, making sure that all your software is up to date could also help clearing this up. You can find some steps on how to check that out here.

If this doesn’t help, our Technical Support will be more than happy to have a further look at this with you so you can enjoy your game again! To get help faster it would be a great help if you could include a Dr. Felix report and a Screenshot of what you see on your screen. You can contact them 24/7 by clicking on the green envelope at the top-right of this page. On the next page you can find the Contact Us link on the bottom-left.

I hope this helps!

bfgBiwa

Edited on 11/18/2012 at 4:18:36 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 18, 12 3:41 AM
Widescreen here is Widescreen HD - explicitly 1920x1080 (aspect ratio 16:9).
For this to work properly, your screen resolution has to be the same.

Full screen gives priority to your monitor resolution but will stretch the picture.

Go to: