bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 18, 12 12:47 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 18, 12 12:48 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 18, 12 12:55 AM

Played 20 minutes, casual

- 3 modes, casual sparkles and map, normal (map less useful), expert (no map)

- Integrated SG which only shows one chapter in the sample

- Very good British voice overs

- Note book

- Map, you can't jump from one place to another (or I didn't find out how to do it )

- Very long cut scenes and dialogues

- Hint very useful outside H0, in casual it seems to remain always full

- H0, you interact, some objects are pretty small

- The mini game I came across what a nice change

- Skip button

- Gorgeous graphics

- Characters move in the game, you don't direct them but feel just like in a large file game.

Your daughter is missing, after breaking up with her fiance, you fear the worst as a mad Lonely Hearts Killer is lurking around. Your hunt start with the help of a detective. This game looks absolutely great, fabulous atmosphere, fell in love with it as soon as I started playing. An instant buy !!!!!!!

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Nov 18, 12 1:13 AM
I agree with everything Poutoule says

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 18, 12 1:30 AM
This is for B and to ease my guilty conscience...

Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is automatic widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is something called "Film grain". I think that if you tick it, the scens (or at least the cut scenes) will appear to look old-fashioned.

The HINT button, which worked very well outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), is at the left. In Casual mode, it refills within 30 seconds inside the HOS and instantly outside of the HOS.

The HOS are interactive.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button only takes about 30 or 40 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

Your SG (strategy guide) is also at the left. It stays open where you last left it open.

Your MAP is at the right. It shows you where you are, areas of interest, and where action needs to be taken. Each circle on the map shows you the name of the place when you go over them with your cursor. You can't use the map to jump.

--- --- ---

This is a first-class adventure-game type of HOG. Excellent animation and interaction. Graphics are very well done, and gameplay is of the usual high standard we expect of a good HOG. Voices are also very well done.

With all the animation in this game, it's no wonder the full game is just over 1 GB.

I very much enjoyed what I have played so far, and will buy this game.

--- --- ---

Poutoule: You mention a Note book in your review. There is no note book.

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Nov 18, 12 1:35 AM
Of course everything that has been said I totally agree with and an instant buy for me also, I love the Victorian type era and the story in this game is extrememly gripping and true to what used to be in those days ie. If you were a person of notability then no-way could you be responsible for certain things but an ordinary man in the street must be a liar and responsible for all kind or wrong doings, thank goodness for advances in technology lol.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Nov 18, 12 2:07 AM
Very nice game, but is it CE worthy? I'll wait until some other fishies let me know the length.

My hint button must be broke for it doesn't fill instantly, if I come out of an HO scene it takes about 30 to 40 sec to fill....................but otherwise a very interesting game...............It will be a buy for me if it's length is decent......................HAPPY GAMING FISHIES........................

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 18, 12 2:13 AM
An excellent game here----who doesn't loke a solid and well told murder mystery? And this game is all that and more.

Opens in an automatic widescreen presentation as all the well-crafted CEs do.

The voiveovers are among the best I've heard in any game here at BF.

HOS feature interactivity and are nicely done----as are the puzzles.

Watch carefully for all the conversation to which you can avail yourself among the different characters. Many of them have quite a bit to say, but if you don't care for that sort of thing you can simply skip it. But it adds to the game experience, IMO. And it's another example of a small innovation that sets the game apart from others.

Some unintended (?) comical moments in the beginning as the main character rummages through his closet hunting for a key amongst some of the daintiest and frilliest objects in any man's closet in the history of closets. As to whether he finds the key and/or comes out of the closet with it----well, that would spoil the fun.

And the game is fun, very well done, and an immediate buy for me!

Chamuel82
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Chamuel82 on Nov 18, 12 2:17 AM
I beta tested this game some time ago and couldn't wait for its release!
Well everything has been said already and I totally agree !
I think the story is gripping and there is a bit of dialogue but it 's o.k cause the V.O's are excellent ( I really liked the accents)and with the characters on screen gives the feel of a large file game !
So It' s a definite buy !
Happy Gaming !

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Nov 18, 12 2:47 AM
Graphics are superb in this game. Music gives nice feel to the storyline.

The downside for me is twofold; one is the awful stereotypical English accents. It really is getting on my nerves.

The worst thing is the game play choices. I usually play advanced level. I chose it without reading what the options were, so after 30 mins of the dreaded 'sparkles', I started again with a new profile (can't change mode during gameplay), and on reading the game modes found that to avoid sparkles I have to play hardcore!

So no hints at all. Luckily the SG is quite handy when stuck, but not for finding the items in the HO scenes. Luckily you can still skip the puzzles. Seems as though the devs said 'if you don't like our sparkles', then have nothing at all!! No hints, no tips and no map!
Just about every CE offers the three choices that suit everyone's level of gameplay. There's enough handholding to not warrant sparkles.

I did buy the game as I'm a sucker for CEs, and this game is going to be quite challenging without being able to use hint for the last HO item.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Nov 18, 12 3:07 AM
Good morning everybody Betty Bloodhound here and I'm hot on the trail of the missing socialite who was abducted from her home about a week ago. This case has got more twist and turn's than a roller coaster and there are a couple of things that just aren't adding up with this case and I'll tell you why first you have the parents just freaking out screaming and crying knocking furniture over, tearing pictures off the wall, ripping up carpet and just freaking out but here's the kicker not one tear has fell out of their eyes not one. Then you have the fiance who seems to be more concerned about finding the girls engagement ring so he can have it appraised are you kidding me, and he seems to be more concerned with the girls best friend than anything else plus source's tell me that the two went for a moonlight skinny dip at the girls house and when ask if he had any information about the girl he simply said yeah she's missing. The girl has been missing for a week now and after seeing the reactions of these people I feel pretty sure they all know where she is, then I find out that the pool boy went missing the same day and rumor has it he and the girl had a little thing going so now I'm wondering if he had anything to do with her being missing but after talking with a few people I'm told the boy is barely able to tie his shoes much less kidnap anyone. Now I'm wondering is she really missing or is she off skinny dipping with the pool boy. I would love to know what you think so we're going to open the phone lines so you can call in and share your thoughts and if you have trouble getting through just hold the line and instead of silly elevator music blaring in your ear you can have the pleasure of playing this game while you wait it's simply awesome and it has some shady character's as well.

What a great game this is it's plays out like a movie it's all voice overs which are excellent. The graphics are gorgeous and the puzzles so far have been really good not to hard I made it through the demo without skipping any. The music fits very well for this type of game.

The game keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what is around the next corner. The story just grabs you from the beginning and pulls you right in. This developer did a excellent job with this game is flawless and you can tell a lot of time and care went into it. Give the demo a go it's worth it. Thank you dev's and Big Fish for another fantabulous game. Have fun everybody

Edited on 11/18/2012 at 10:56:26 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Nov 18, 12 3:20 AM
What a great game! Love it. Nice puzzles and HOS. It's a buy for me.

Thanks devs and BF.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Nov 18, 12 3:50 AM
belamba wrote:
So no hints at all. Luckily the SG is quite handy when stuck, but not for finding the items in the HO scenes. Luckily you can still skip the puzzles. Seems as though the devs said 'if you don't like our sparkles', then have nothing at all!! No hints, no tips and no map!

I, too, played the Hardest Mode..is that why there was no map?
I thought maybe later on in game it would pop up.
The SG does help out in the HO scenes--I know cause I could not
find a compass.

cbtx what I found funny was hunting for a key to let
someone in. Me, personally, I just unlock the door.

And going and rummaging around someone's house while
they play cards...gotta love it! But boy, are those shoes ugly!

tquinlivan
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by tquinlivan on Nov 18, 12 4:32 AM
Thought that the game would be longer due to the size of the file, but it is just because of the graphics and story throughout. I finished in hardcore mode in less than 2 hours.

[Post New]by gooddragon38 on Nov 18, 12 8:45 AM
I just can't get past the sparkles in the "medium" level of difficulty. Yet the hardest mode doesn't have the map or hints. To all game developers: please give us a choice to get rid of sparkles, I've been playing these games a long time and it has to be one of the top complaints I've read and experienced.

Oh well, I guess I save my money for Thursday when a certain long awaited game from my favorite series is due to come out

jueh
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jueh on Nov 18, 12 8:57 AM
gooddragon38 wrote:I just can't get past the sparkles in the "medium" level of difficulty. Yet the hardest mode doesn't have the map or hints. To all game developers: please give us a choice to get rid of sparkles, I've been playing these games a long time and it has to be one of the top complaints I've read and experienced.

Oh well, I guess I save my money for Thursday when a certain long awaited game from my favorite series is due to come out

Totally agree with this. I'm playing in hard mode as I don't want or need any sparkles at all. Loving the game though.

jueh
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jueh on Nov 18, 12 8:57 AM
gooddragon38 wrote:I just can't get past the sparkles in the "medium" level of difficulty. Yet the hardest mode doesn't have the map or hints. To all game developers: please give us a choice to get rid of sparkles, I've been playing these games a long time and it has to be one of the top complaints I've read and experienced.

Totally agree with this. I'm playing in hard mode as I don't want or need any sparkles at all. Loving the game though.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 18, 12 9:11 AM
I am torn on this one. Gosh, those blasted sparkles!!!! Geesh guys. In the medium mode you just have to eliminate them. They are very distracting in playing the game. I am not certain I am going to purchase this game. The graphics and sound are great. The puzzles are wonderful. I love mysteries so this was a winner for me. The puzzles are decent as well. I just can't stand those sparkles. I remember about two years ago, most of us who critique games on this site told the devs to get rid of them except at the easiest level of play. Some people are prone to seizures from blinking lights. I have students who have this problem, so it is a concern and more common that one might think. You basically ruined a great game for me. It has been awhile since we brought up this issue, so I guess it is time to readdress it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 18, 12 9:14 AM
I have now finished the game, and what a great and entertaining game this was.

I think it took me a good 4 hours to play the main game, and just under an hour for the bonus game.

Don't judge the length of this game by how big the file is. A lot of the MBs that make up this game are for the animation and conversations. And there are a lot of conversations. But I loved those. It was like watching a movie in which I was able to participate. And I never got bored.

I also thought that the actors who gave their voices were superb. The voice-acting was really well done, and very believable.

There are quite a few HOS, and you do play the same HOS more than once or even twice.

There are also quite a few puzzles, but I am happy to say that I managed to do most of them. They were fun and not too difficult.

I loved the animation, I loved the cut scenes (of which there were many), and I loved the gameplay. This was a truly wonderful game. Thank you, developers.

SPOILER ALERT FOR BONUS GAME
Hover over with the cursor to see the text...

The main game finishes satisfactory, but leaves the opening for the bonus game, in which you play a different character and visit a different part of the UK.

END OF SPOILER ALERT

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 18, 12 9:28 AM
Thanks Valdy for your update! Though I've only played part of the demo, I'll echo your sentiment - it does feel like you're participating in a film! This game has great atmosphere, art and plot! Runs beautifully - will be interesting to see if that holds with a full download. Oh - Cherub - wherever you are - you can access 99% of the extras right away

I too find the sparkles a bit of a distraction - not enough to keep me from buying - but enough for me to make note of it. So far the music isn't in my Top 10 either - odd usually I don't notice music either way - but it had a distinct "jazz" sound (albeit slooow jazz ) which seemed at odds with the setting & plot. Again, this won't be a deal breaker - but commenting as it really stood out for me.

I do think the big draw on this one is the plot! I already have tons of questions running through my head and want to know how this will all turn out!

Seems with this game you may want to replay the start a couple of times in different modes to see which - if any - of the three modes you like best! In whichever mode - I do think this one is worth a look see and...

Happy Gaming!

Go to: