bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Lost Secrets™: November 1963

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 19, 12 12:47 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Lost Secrets™: November 1963? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Lost Secrets™: November 1963 page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Lost Secrets™: November 1963

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Nov 19, 12 12:47 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Nov 19, 12 12:53 AM
Well -- it's a creepy 2 mode HOPA about the Kennedy assassination. There have been other Lost Secret Titles -- none of which have made it here for either platform. Independent review site has not bothered to review them. players gave the last one 1.5 stars. I was still willing to demo the game. Unfortunately it opened in squished mode. (Full screen that looked like it should have been stretched to fit wide screen.)

So, I tried to put that aside.

Your mother used to have visions about the event. She's died. Now you have them. Something is calling you to Dallas. Off you go. Who is that stranger? Have you really arrived? Are you still in some kind of dream? I hope so, because, honey, you are choosing to do some strange tasks and the things you need are just appearing out of nowhere.

It is, as I said, creepy -- the story is curiously compelling. The game play is all too standard. The artwork is acceptable. The music fits.

But visually things are out of proportion, and this is not good enough to spend hours looking at it. Did I mention it was nighttime and raining?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 19, 12 1:19 AM
Morning, all...

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

Your Journal is at the left.

Also at the left is your Map. It can be used to jump.

The Hint button is at the right. In the main scenes it shows you exactly where to go, and refills instantly.
In the HOS (hidden object scenes) it takes about 40 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

The HOS are not interactive. Graphics in them are rather poor, and the colours are somewhat washed out.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes about 90 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

There is no voice-over, there is no widescreen (at least not for me).

--- --- ---

I found gameplay rather uneventful, and got bored quickly. I am sure this game will appeal to certain people, if only for memory's sake, but it's not for me.
I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement, and the only good thing I can say about this game is that there is a map and it can be used to jump to different areas.

Sorry, no buy for me.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 19, 12 2:32 AM
When Valdy says that the game will appeal to some for memory's sake, she is right----and I am one of those. I have lived in the DFW area all my life, so this game is one of considerable interest to me.I saw JFK the morning of November 22nd, 1963 in front of the Hotel Texas in Fort Worth before his fateful flight to Dallas and the tragedy that changed this country forever. Talk about a lasting, vivid memory. (Of course, I was just a baby being held by my mother! )

But the game itself is rather ordinary with a lot of spooky story elements that make it compelling enough to want to see where it's going.

The HOS could be better.

The puzzles are nothing we haven't seen before, but the difficulty has beeen stepped up a bit.

I like the interactive map, although the layout is completely made up, as it would have to be for a game. (Dealey Plaza is not next door to Parkland Hospital, for example.)

No widescreen.

So I'm probably not the best one to rely on here because I buy almost anything regarding this subject (books, DVDs, etc,), but for me (and for the memories----49 years ago, unbelievable) I like it, and I'll buy it!!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 19, 12 3:17 AM
I'm buying it (with a pcc and a punch to fill) as the game has deep nostalgia for me. I'm originally a Dallasite, quite familiar with the scene (yeh, Parkland Hospital is sorta < thataway a piece LOL) Basic HOS, my fav, but pulled me in to see how many locations I've been to, skipping the puzzles so far with timer going on the one hour trial. Sliders and keeping buttons lit are my least fav puzzles and hold up the story and pace of these games..

I too had a vast collection of JFK related books, paper, still have my original copy of the Warren Report, and personally knew a lot of the characters involved in Dallas. Oddly, I was living in WashDC at the time, viewed the long processions several days at curbside. This game swiftly planted me back to that horrible week, but enough time has passed to not get me too emotionally, more of an intellectual interest to see how the devs patched together facts and fiction to create a game and with respect. Seems next year would have been appropriate for 50th year.

No walkthrough, no widescreen on 17" laptop which normally would say NO buy, but hints are plentiful, jump map showing areas of tasks, looks to be a long game with so many locations. Hope there are some daytime scenes, Dealy Plaza, grassy knoll etc. Only flaw is spelling on sign should be Collectibles, not ables, but hey maybe it is a second spelling, but not on your sign when in the business.

Didn't think tonight I'd be taking a trip down memory lane and through a heartwrenching historic time and places. If you weren't there then, I can see how it may be boring as a game, and too easy for the expert players' demands. Scenes are crystal clear, HOS not so much but that's what hint buttons are for on those faded out small ones.

Something about a pink teddy bear vaguely haunts me, anybody know if that was something found at the scene or did I dream that? As much as I read and researched and watched videos hard to keep fact from fiction. btw, I don't remember DFW being there yet, it was Dallas Love Field, but I could be wrong on that too, he landed at LF didn't he? I saw him in motorcades several times, pre-Dallas 1963, thank God I wasn't home then, I'd been in the crowd, but on return I did a walkthrough of the whole area. Hated to see the souvenirs and the usual cheapening of a tragedy. But I don't feel this game is sensationalizing since it is a mystery still to be solved IMO and so long ago. Now it feels like just yesterday, moments in my psyche.

Edited on 11/19/2012 at 3:30:31 AM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Nov 19, 12 5:08 AM
This game probably holds a lot of memories for a lot of people, me included, but the game is way to touchy for me. I tried to reset a puzzle and it kept leaving my screen. I couldn't even finish it had to skip. This game also has way to many dream states which blur in and out for those who don't like that sort of thing,( this game is not for you, it even bothered me).........................................some will buy others won't I'm in the won't buy..........................but try for yourself........................

forneymary
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by forneymary on Nov 19, 12 6:02 AM
this game was either released before or the whole things a dejavue. it was creepy and boring at the same time. odd combination and hard to forget. serious no buy for me.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 19, 12 7:34 AM
Review after playing about 40 minutes of the demo:

The game play is smooth without technical difficulties (cursor actually works fine in this one!). The H0 scenes are not difficult and I enjoy seeing items from the era (ie the rotary telephone). For some reason though one puzzle would not reset for me (maybe it WAS a technical issue!) so I skipped the puzzle.

I think the graphics are exactly right for a game of this type...the more "realistic ones" might be a no-no for me to play. I did like the television and news update clips being "real" though. The rain sounded perfect, but I didn't keep the speakers on so I don't know if other sounds are there - or voice-overs - but I don't play a game with sound on anyway. The journal with the task list is nice as is the map.

Like so many others, I will never ever forget that day...where I was and what I was doing. For the historical value (whether all is entirely accurate or not) it will be a buy for me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 19, 12 9:29 AM
Yes, I too can remember that day quite well. For some reason, using this particular incident in history just seems a bit disrespectful (for lack of a better word)...I think because they use Kennedy as a ghost! Would have been better if they used an "unknown" for that particular part. Just my personal opinion.

That aside, the graphics were okay (a bit old school), sound good, but no music to keep you interested. Hint used even if it just tells you what direction to go to. Game play a little choppy.

This game did not keep my attention, nor did it make me want to run out and get it to see what happens. Personally, I don't think this is even worth the SE price, so not a buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see if it is a game for you. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Nov 19, 12 10:26 AM
Gonna give it a try. I remember where I was when my soap opera was interrupted with the horrible news and and the tv station had nothing else on for days. Of course this is a game and nothing else but that time is not eraseable in my memory so I am hooked on anything I see or read or in this case, play. I have purchased worse games and some I didn't even finish so this is a buy for me. I'll bet there are others on board for the same reason. I also love HOGs and it is a SE so I am in.

Edited on 11/19/2012 at 10:27:48 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 19, 12 1:28 PM
Remember that day well. A sad day for USA. As for the game, don't really like it much. Gave it a shot but not one of my favorite types of games so it's a no buy for me.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 19, 12 1:43 PM
puzzledone, haven't seen you in the reviews forum for awhile. Nice to see you! As for the JFK memories, I'm with you, although, I've never been to Dallas. I had walked home from school for lunch and saw the announcement on tv. One of my favorite memories was seeing little John-John saluting as his dad's casket went by. I will never forget that. I have the saluting John-John doll that came out sometime back.

The subject of the game sounds really interesting and I love IHOG games, though I don't know how interactive they are. I'll certainly play the trial and if I like the game-play, even a little, I'll probably use a coupon code for it.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Nov 19, 12 4:05 PM
Last night I watched a special on the JFK shooting. My husband I always do We were babies but it still interests us.
As for this game I enjoyed playing the demo and am tettering on buying it if for no other reason than the fact that it's JFK.
For me there are good points and bad.

PROS:
Storyline
Good HOS
Fun puzzles
Historic plaques that tell what each area is.
Interactive Map

CONS:
Hint that helps TO much. (I like it when the hint points you in the direction you need to go but this one keeps going until the task is complete
No Walkthru ( Although with all the help provided you shouldn't need it.)
Voiceovers would have been a great improvement here!

I think I will wait a few days and see if I can get a clue as to length. It's a nice game but I have put myself on a BF budget and don't want to waste a buy on a short game that isn't anymore difficult than this

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Nov 20, 12 4:28 AM
I quite like this game, there doesnt seem to have penalty for missed clicks and hints are quick to recharged. LOL! American history based on some president being assissinated JFK, in fact. I am not an American citizen so when I had to solve the president bust puzzle, I actually based it on the clothing the bust was wearing to determine the year, and try kinda mind puzzles game to place the bust and got it right 3rd try. I HATE the tel button pressed game (the one whereby u had to make sure only the oval office tel button was pressed and each button affect other buttons, arrrrgh....hair pulling coz sometimes different combinations produce different reactions, sounds like complicated maths!)

Graphics is good, storyline is ok and lots of mini puzzles (some hateful) and some nice. I also skipped on the placing the tubs of plants near windows and making sure the centre path was open to cross game.

U will get all these mini games in the 1hr trial, so no spoilers to give away.

Lots of fun, LOVE it!

ellietries
Minnow
Minnow
218 Posts

[Post New]by ellietries on Nov 20, 12 7:37 PM
After 40 minutes of playing the trial i had finished the demo version of this game on the hardest setting. There is a choice of 3 difficulty settings which is always a good thing in my eyes as i like the hardest setting but knowing the game can be played with lots of help on offer is a nice touch. Even on the hardest setting the game offers a lot of clues as to where to go next etc, you just have to read between the lines to pick up the clues, i didn't find myself wishing i had interactive help.

I thought the graphics were good, smooth and clear even though it's set on a dark/rainy night for the majority of the demo at least. The hidden object scenes weren't very taxing at all but the scenes are dense with objects and all relevant to the era of the game. There were no penalities for misclicks but i don't think you'd have many of those to be honest- it would have been nice to have a few cryptic clues for objects or interactive elements to these scenes.

The mini puzzles were good, themes of the usual standard pux=zzles in this game genre; moving blocks in a confined space; colour orders for fuses, rotation of mosaics etc.

The plot is a little odd- you seem to drift in and out of your consciounsness a fair bit collecting objects from your mother that then appear in the gameplay when you go back to 'reality', sparked by the prescence of a recurring stranger in the scenes.

There is a fair bit of toing and froing around the same scenes as you accumulate the necessary elements etc but there is a map and i didn't find it overly heavy on the clicking front.

I'm not sure i'll buy this game, unless on offer or have spare credits etc, it was a good game but not challenging enough for me.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 21, 12 6:11 PM
A little eery delving into the memories of this time and incident. I was a child, but remember it well. Still though, I am enjoying the game and story. I think the graphics are nice, and the mini puzzles are fun.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 6:13:44 PM PST

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Nov 23, 12 8:45 PM
Well, I am one who remembers it, also. Probably still have the newspapers someplace. I was in about the 4th grade and remember my teacher telling us the news, sending us all outside, then crying. Historically it is interesting. My review is based on the game, minus the historical importance.

I played less than 15 minutes and am bored. Very old-fashioned game. Seems like one from years ago. Nothing special, nothing intriuging, nothing interesting. (I am one who does NOT believe in a conspiracy). Seems like a cheaply done game, and one that you'd find in retail stores in the bargain bin or on a collection CD. Not a buy for me, not even sure if I will finish the demo. Too bad.

CelticCoco

EDITED TO ADD: Finished the demo and I am really not impressed. The whole thing gave me an icky feeling; not because of the subject matter, but because of the style. Cold, impersonal, and blank. I'm really disappointed that this wasn't a better quality. For those who like these types of games, enjoy For me it just doesn't work.

Edited on 11/30/2012 at 11:53:54 PM PST

renaki
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by renaki on Nov 27, 12 8:45 AM
I am not an American, too. I am Greek. And I remember coming back home from the kindergarden and finding my mom in tears listening to the radio. Well, this is something a kid can never forget. A few years later she explained to me.

I think the game is good. Neither excellent- nor rubbish.

The story holds my interest as to where it is coming to.

I've never been to Dallas and as it seems -financial crisis, aging etc- I will never be.
So it is interesting to look around.

The game works perfect in my laptop.

So, I think I will buy it.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Jul 11, 13 8:02 AM
The Kennedy assignation was before my time. I've been interested in learning more about it especially since I learned nothing whatsoever about this sad time in my History classes at school. The few tidbits I picked up have been from the internet and tv.

Anyways back to the game. This is a middle of the road HOPA. It kept my interest throughout the game. A few of the puzzles I did struggle with. One is where you turn on one specific light while keeping all the others off. There is a skip button, if needed. HO scenes were clear and so were the graphics. The game play is done in flashback style. Everything ran very smoothly. No walkthrough, but it really wasn't needed. There is a map and that was a big help if you got stuck. Quite alot of different areas to explore. Like renaki said it is interesting to look around.

Recommend it for memory sake or just interested like me. Worth a pcc or as a daily deal.

sunshinej

Edited on 07/11/2013 at 8:10:22 AM PST

Go to: