Multiple Goals

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Multiple Goals

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 19, 12 11:07 AM
For those who aren't used to freemium games, thought it might help to mention how some of the different goals work together.

Overall Level. Your standing in the game is shown as a number at the top left. At higher levels you can unlock more locations, and have a choice of different avatars. Each time you level up, your energy max increases by 5, you get a few diamonds, and your energy refills completely. You can tell how close you are to the next level from the meter near your avatar.

As you get close to a new level, don't use a honeypot or fruit dessert! Instead, banish floaters or search a location so you get the experience points to level up and refill your energy that way.

Location Level. You also have a level at each individual location. When you tap a location, you see a popup describing the location. Your location level is a word in the upper left like "novice," "detective," "expert," etc. there is also a chesspiece symbol and a meter.

Leveling up at a location means additional items will be available there, but that may also mean it's harder to get some of the earlier ones.

Eventually most people do like to max out their level at each location, but when you do so is up to you. It does give you another reason to search locations.

Edited on 06/19/2014 at 3:41:13 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Re:Multiple Goals

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 19, 12 11:21 AM
Quests quests appear on the left. You can have several at once, and some are much easier than others. You may get a quest to find a particular item that only appears In the game while that quest is active. Or to find one or more items available in locations or from floaters. Or to search a location in a particular mode. Or to charge a particular collection.

Everyone has their own strategies for these. But if you get stuck, it may be that you haven't leveled up high enough at a particular location, or that you need to complete another quest first. Quests don't have to be completed in the order they appear. Sometimes you just need to set it aside and do other things for awhile.

A good example is flying carpets. Early in the game they are very hard to find, but later you can get them from several rooms or by trading with the Renegade Pangolin.

All items can be found eventually. Check the forum for topics on specific items/quests.

Achievements. You can see these by clicking on the Achievements icon on the right. These are specific tasks that give specific rewards. They can take a long time to finish, but have very good rewards.

Each achievement has 5 levels, and in most cases the rewards get bigger with each level. You can only earn each achievement's level reward once.

Check your achievements often. If you're getting close, you may want to charge particular collections or banish specific floaters to complete an achievement.

Edited on 01/08/2014 at 8:52:58 AM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 19, 12 11:45 AM
Collections. You can see your collections by clicking on the collections icon on the right. There are three tabs, one for Silver collections, one for Gold, and one for the Special holiday collections.

Each collection has 5 specific items that belong to it. You find these through quests, by banishing floaters, and by searching locations.

When you look at the names at the top, the tiny light squares below each name show you which items you have.

When you click on a name at the top, you see the details of that collection in the bottom half of the screen. If there is a number on a collection item, it means you have that many of it. You need 1 of each to complete a collection.

On the right side in the smaller boxes are the "chargers" or "charging items" you need to "craft" a collection and get its reward. ("Charging" and "Crafting" mean the same thing in this game.) You craft a collection by pulling the lever on the right side of the collection box.

The same type of chargers may be needed by several different collections. You can craft each collection as many times as you like as long as you have a full set of collection items each time AND enough chargers.

This where a lot of strategy comes in. You might like the reward for a collection, but see that you are close to an achievement that needs a different collection using the same chargersthat gives you key items you need to search a particular location for a quest.

Some collections are a great source of coins for weapons to banish floaters.

Plan carefully before crafting collections as you may want the chargers for a different purpose.

Some chargers seem to only be available from the black boxes you get for completing room searches quickly. So the faster you do your searches, the more choices you'll have in crafting collections.

Lemutes have a pretty good drop rate for claws to craft the gold dragon collection. Since crafting that collection gives you 4,000 coins, it is often worth it to spend some coins banishing lemutes to get claws.

Some collections/achievements give chests as rewards. When you open the chest you receive random items that may include weapons, chargers, collection items, energy items, etc

As your level goes up at a location, more items will be available there. For example, the Beach Chair eventually shows up as a bonus item at the Lighthouse, and the Mandrake shows up at the Dragon's Den.

Edited on 01/07/2014 at 6:08:11 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 19, 12 11:56 AM
Floaters/Mobs are the creatures like the Lemute, Hunter, Renegade Pangolin, etc floating around the island. When you banish one, there will be a brief period before it reappears. You will get the weapons to banish them by buying them with coins, from other floaters, from locations, and sometimes from boxes or chests. As you get new quests, more types of floaters will appear, but the island will always have one of each type currently available, so over time there will be more floaters.

The floater will give you something when you banish it. This can be coins, red stars that help you level up, or items from that floater's item list. At the time of this writing there is a known issue where scrolling through with the arrow doesn't show the last item. So the hunter can give a blood vial throughout the game and the Assassin can give the Dangerous Blades throughout the game even if you don't see them on the list. If you finger scroll, you should see everything OK.

There are many reasons to banish floaters. You may need just a few more experience points to level up. You may need them for a quest or achievement. You may hope to get a specific item needed for a collection, a charger, or a key for a room--or even a weapon to banish a different floater.

Everyone has their own strategies. I like to banish hunters, which are pretty cheap at 1,000 coins, in hopes of getting a silver arrow or hunting horn. Other people prefer the certainty of the more expensive direct trade.

Some of the floaters will summon a "Boss" after you've banished a specific number of that type. For example, after you banish 30 pirates, the pirate cook will appear. The Boss will only be available for an hour or two. The Bosses give very good rewards when you banish them, and may be required for a quest.

Edited on 01/08/2014 at 8:48:14 AM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 19, 12 12:09 PM
Strategies People use many different strategies, but keeping these multiple goals in mind can often help.

For example, one time i charged a collection to get an amulet to increase coins. Using, the amulet, i searched a cheap location, the plane wreck, In order to put me over 500 coins. I banished a Lemute, who gave me the last claw I needed to craft the gold dragon collection, giving me 5,000 coins. I used the coins to banish a yogi I needed for a quest, then used my remaining coins on 2 hunters. I got a silver arrow which I used on an assassin who gave me shackles. I used those on a criminal, completing an achievement which gave me an energy item. I used that to search a location where I upped my experience level, adding a new item to that list which I needed for a different quest.

Most sessions aren't that complicated, but it's a good example of how all the different types of gameplay can work together to keep you moving forward.

Of course you can play without ever thinking about achievements or collections or floaters unless they show up in quests. But if you do like getting into the strategy aspects, keeping an eye on multiple goals can add a lot of depth.

Robin

Edited on 12/20/2012 at 11:11:55 AM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 19, 12 12:43 PM
p.s. Inventory

Click on the inventory icon on the right to check your inventory. In addition to energy and amulets, check the Chests tab for black boxes and dragon's eggs. You get black boxes as bonuses for completing location searches quickly. These are an important source of some chargers, like the pink umbrellas.

Weapons used to banish floaters are listed under the far right miscellaneous tab in case you want to check how many you have.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 12:27:32 AM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 19, 12 1:20 PM
Also, unlike some similar games, the Silver Chest and the Purple Chest sometimes have energy items or even amulets. So if you have any in inventory, go ahead and open them.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 20, 12 9:53 AM
p.p.s. Knowing How Many Chargers you Need for a Collection.

1. Click on the Collections icon on the right to open your collection box.

2. Choose the Silver Collections or Gold Collections tab depending on which you want to look at. For this example, we'll look at the Gold Collections so we can check the Dragon.

3. Scroll down on the top section if needed to find the collection you want to check. When you find it in the top section, tap on its name and its details will show up in the bottom section.

4. The five big squares on the left in the details section show you the collection items you need for this collection. You may get these as bonuses when you search locations, from floaters, and from silver or purple chests. Or in this case you get dragon eggs from those places, then open the egg to get the actual dragon.

You need one of each of these five items to complete the collection. The number in each big box shows you how many you have of that item. It's pretty common that there's one rare item in a collection, so you might have 3 or more of each of the other items before you find 1 of the rare ones. Most people find the Feathered Dragon the rarest in the Dragons collection.

Edited on 12/20/2012 at 12:27:10 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 20, 12 10:04 AM
5. The 4 small boxes in the middle of the detail section show you the "charger items" you need to craft this collection. You may get these as bonuses when you search locations, from floaters, from silver or purple chests, or from the black boxes you get. for completing a location search quickly. Some like the pink umbrellas only seem to come from black boxes.

Each charger item has a ratio, like 0/1 or 23/3. The first number is how many you have. The second is how many you need to craft the collection once. So for the Dragons collection, you need 8 Claws, 6 Unicorn Horns, and 4 Fairy Wings each time you craft the collection. So the ratios tell you what you need more of to craft the collection the next time. (Crafting and Charging mean the same thing in this game.)

If you don't have enough chargers, you either go back to the map and keep searching or you can tap on the charger picture and bring up a purchase screen where you can buy them with diamonds. Since diamonds are the premium currency in this game, that's expensive, but it's your choice.

I'm at level 47 now, I've charged the Dragons collection 16 times, and I've never spent any diamonds on chargers. But it does take patience. I like the strategy of it, though. I banish Lemutes because they often give Claws, and Claws are the charger I'm most often short of for the Dragons collection.

Edited on 12/20/2012 at 12:27:48 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 20, 12 10:13 AM
6. The big box on the right side of the details area shows the item you will get when you do craft the collection. For the Dragons collection it's a big black dragon called Black Shade. You might need to do this for a quest, but mostly it's just fun to fill in your collection box. If there is a number on this item, it's because you've crafted the collection more than once.

Once you have one of each collection item on the left and enough of the chargers in the small boxes, you craft the collection by pulling on the slot machine lever on the far right of the detail area, above the label that says CRAFT. There will be a slot machine sound and the number on the big item (in our example, the Black Shade) will go up by 1.

The collection items and the chargers you needed for this step will be removed from your collection box--basically you traded them for a black shade dragon. So if the ratio on Claws said 9/8 before you pulled the craft lever, now it will say 1/8.

If this was the first time you ever charged this collection, a red COLLECTED banner will appear across the collection picture in the top section.

You can craft each collection as many times as you want as long as you have all the items to do so.

Edited on 12/20/2012 at 10:21:51 AM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 20, 12 10:18 AM
7. At the top edge of the details section you will see the rewards you get when you craft it. You earn the same rewards each time you craft it. I have crafted the Old Mint silver collection over 30 times because it is a good source of coins. I've crafted the Dragons many times for the same reason.

The Dragons collection gives 500 experience, 5000 gold coins, and a Dragon of Eternity amulet.

When you close your collection box and return to the map, any rewards you just earned will appear just like they do when you finish a location search. So check the chests tab in your inventory if you earned a chest so you can open it. If you want to use an amulet you just earned, you need to go to the amulets tab in your inventory to select it.

Edited on 12/20/2012 at 10:24:16 AM PST

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Dec 20, 12 1:38 PM
Hi robin94122,

Thanks so much for compiling all of this information and taking the time to share it with the other Fishies here! I'm just getting started with Found myself, and I'm definitely going to take some time to read over your advice.

Since I think a lot of players will really find this thread helpful, I'm also swimming in to add a sticky so it will be easier for everyone to find.

Thanks again!

bfgMonongahela

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 20, 12 7:56 PM
Thanks--I'm glad you found it helpful!

More About Knowing if You Have Everything to Craft a Collection

Matahari24 pointed out today that the label button under the slot machine lever on the right side of the collection box is different depending on which items you have. It works like this:

When you look at a collection where you do have all 5 collection items and all the chargers you need, the label button below the slot machine lever is green, and says "CRAFT." You're ready to craft it if you want to.

When you look at a collection where you do have all 5 collection items but you are missing some of the chargers, the label button below the slot machine lever is yellow, and also says "CRAFT." If you try the lever then the game brings up the charging item purchase window.

When you look at a collection where you don't have all 5 collection items, the label button below the slot machine lever is red, and says "BUY." If you try the lever then a different purchase window comes up which lets you pay diamonds to buy the collection. But if you do it that way, you don't get the reward for the collection! It will count towards a quest, for what that's worth.

So as a shortcut when you look at a collection's details you can tell instantly if you have enough chargers for it by checking the label button under the slot machine lever. If it's green, it's ready to be charged/crafted. If it's yellow, you need more chargers. Check the ratios on each charger picture to know exactly what more you need. If it's red, you're missing some of the 5 collection items.

Edited on 12/20/2012 at 7:56:46 PM PST

Matahari24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,046 Posts

[Post New]by Matahari24 on Dec 22, 12 10:06 AM
Thank you for giving me credit, robin94122!

Hammrsgl
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Hammrsgl on Dec 26, 12 2:28 PM
Robin, just wanted to give you a huge KUDOS for all the help and advice you have given players on many of these forum threads - it takes a lot of time and effort and it is very much appreciated. MataHari, kudos to you too for your advice and input. The posts give a lot of people a lot of assistance. Well done!

ginricky49
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by ginricky49 on Jan 29, 13 10:36 AM
Thank you for all of the information that you have posted so far about this game. This is my first foray into this type of game. I am wondering if you can explain how to use the magnets that are in my inventory. I have 15 magnets but when I click on one to use it, nothing happens. Do I have to get to a certain level before I can use them or am I not doing something that needs to be done besides just clicking on it? Any help you can provide re. this is appreciated.

kandikc
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by kandikc on Jan 30, 13 5:24 AM
ginricky, the magnets can be used when you are searching for items in a a location. If you click on the magnet icon when you first go in to explore a site, it will automatically collect all the items showing on the list.
As you visit a site more frequently other items will show up after the 1st set of items have been found, and you will need to find those ones, or use another magnet. I hope this helps.

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Jan 30, 13 2:34 PM
Never played this type of game before and can't find instructions. Can you please tell me if I'm supposed to click on the floating things that appear? i.e. stars, coins etc, or do I just wait for them to disappear?

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 2:34:58 PM PST

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Jan 30, 13 3:36 PM
Hi netnanna,

I'm sure the other, more expert Fishies can confirm this for you, but my experience of the game has been that if I don't click on the floating items you earn (like coins, stars, etc.) that they will eventually be added to your tallies automatically.

That's especially good to know since you're not given the opportunity to click on the last ones you earn on each HO scene - they will be added automatically too.

Hope that helps!

bfgMonongahela

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 3:37:03 PM PST

ginricky49
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by ginricky49 on Jan 31, 13 10:22 AM
kandikc wrote:ginricky, the magnets can be used when you are searching for items in a a location. If you click on the magnet icon when you first go in to explore a site, it will automatically collect all the items showing on the list.
As you visit a site more frequently other items will show up after the 1st set of items have been found, and you will need to find those ones, or use another magnet. I hope this helps.

Go to: