gbo1
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,979 Posts

Can we talk? Only if you've finished the game **SPOILERS**

[Post New]by gbo1 on Nov 19, 12 9:45 PM
I have completed this game and I am left absolutely bewildered? What the heck?

First - The standard game (minus bonus) didn't end. Literally! It just stopped and went to credits. Huh? I was dumb-founded. Nothing was resolved. Nothing solved. It was like watching NCIS on cable (I speak from experience) and the cable goes out during the last 10 minutes. Totally left up in the air. Good gosh! How can the developer dare put out a standard edition in a few weeks that has no ending?

Secondly - The bonus wasn't much better than the standard ending. My Gawd! What's happening with my favorite developer? It ends and I have questions. You've rescued the caretaker and his wife. That's it. What about the zombies? That's why I bought the game. There's no resolution whatsoever. Is there a zombie apocalpyse in our future? The game made a big deal out of the baker believing that his friend murdered him. He's such a sad and hurt zombie. Not a killer. You've proved that his friend did not kill him. But did you ever try to save him or any other zombie? There was even a lady who gave you her oar because she lost her boat or ship. You take the oar, raise a boat, then take off - leaving her to the zombies. Granted, it's just a game but there is so much unresolved.

Thirdly - SG is such a peculiar opponent and slow, slow, slow. Apparently I must be old and in a wheelchair since there are at least 3 times I should have overtaken him. He's one lucky, resourceful little dude. He's not even afraid of me. At the end of the game he just looks at me and watches me do all I need to do to subdue him.

I truly enjoyed the game play. I liked the art, colors, puzzles, and the two types of hidden object scenes. I appreciated that ERS moved away from the overly junk piled scenes. But when all is said and done, a bad ending (two bad endings) is all I remember.

I feel so hurt and sad for my pond friends who are waiting for the standard edition. I can't always purchase a collectors edition but when I purchase a standard edition I still expect my game to have a definitive ending. When it doesn't, it feels as though someone has picked my pockets. It stops here. No more ERS for me. I have to make a stand for me.

These are just my opinions and I thought that I could share them with my pond family. My husband listened, cocked his head to one side, burped and walked out of the room.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Can we talk? Only if you've finished the game **SPOILERS**

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 19, 12 10:47 PM
Hi gbo1,
Thanks for filling in some information for those of us who had the Main Game freeze at the end and an access violation report appear.
I opened the game after that event to be thrown out again as the nasty little man was heading up the stairs again ... but this time I was sent back to the Main Menu and the Bonus Game.
I haven't had the inclination to post in the Tech Thread, so I now know that I didn't miss much.
I usually have no problems with ERS games .... apart from their continual intention to make the Bonus Game complete the story.
I guess we will have to wait and see if the SE version has a satisfactory ending > spoiler > after all, this franchise has at least one more chapter to go.
Cheers

gbo1
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,979 Posts

[Post New]by gbo1 on Nov 19, 12 11:34 PM
Wow! DragonLadyOz, herself. I feel so honored.

I'm so sorry you're unable to complete the game. The game play itself is great. It's fast paced and fun. Loved the monkey. There's just no ending in the main game. But you should enjoy the full collector edition. I'm probably just over thinking the whole issue. I do feel better after my huge rant.

I do hope you'll shortly be able to finish the game and, please, let me know what you thought about the ending. I greatly respect your opinions.

Keep swimming, swimming, swimming.......

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 20, 12 12:10 AM
Hi gbo1,
I think you are exaggerating about my status ... others would say differently... but I must say I am flattered.

I did complete the game - of a sort. The ending of the Main Game was a Frozen Blur on both occasions ... but I was able to access the Bonus Game on the second try ... go figure!

Hm, the monkey spoiler> I was most upset when that little rascal was "zombiefied", but at least he helped at the end with the mirror .... the cut scene did get so far.

I'm not sure if this franchise needs another game as it should have been completed with this one now that we know the Evil one's history. Puppetshow also went one game too far IMO.

Oh well, I will probably slip into my ERS slippers for the next instalment anyway.

Cheers

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Nov 24, 12 12:41 AM
I did get chucked out of the game on five occasions (not at all what I expect from an ERS game!!!) but each time it continued from where it left off, so I persevered to the end. I almost wish now that I hadn't bothered.

I agree 100% with what gbo1 said. I finished it the main game last night and was flabbergasted. We should have seen the zombies being either restored to life or going to a peaceful rest, but no, it was just suddenly over, with no 'satisfying' conclusion.

I finished the bonus game a few minutes ago. It gave an ending for two people but not for the poor wee monkey. That monkey opens hidden ways for you, never threatens you, saves your life several times, and even after it's zombified it STILL helps you - I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO IT AFTER THE BADDY WAS GOT RID OFF!!!! (stamps foot in frustration!!)

It's the worst ending I've EVER seen in an ERS game, and if it happens again in the future, well, not only will they stop being my favourite dev, but I'll give up playing their games at all!!

(PS, except for the technical problems and the lack of a satisfying conclusion, I did enjoy the game).

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Nov 24, 12 7:42 AM
I think that those before me have mentioned everything they've found wrong in the game. I got near the end and discovered I had missed one of the scales for the "Destiny" fish ... so was unable to get any further. I backtracked to where I was supposed to pick up the scale ... on the fish table where you cut open the net push the fish aside and pick up a key AND THE SCALE. I can backtrack to that spot but cannot pick up the missing scale. I can see it clearly on the table top but nothing lets me pick it up not control-click, function-click, option-click, or command click.

I'm playing on an APPLE MAC intel 22.5"computer ...operating system Snow Leopard
version 10.8.6. I've had practically no problems with any game so far, and if I did I've always been able to find a fix ... change screen resolution, change to standard cursor or use the right click or command click to get the desired response.

Any suggestions or answers for me ?

Great Game and I'd like to be able to play the BONUS. As per the unresolved finish to the game, obviously those complaining were not Alfred Hitchcock fans ... besides it does set the scene for a sequel.

Edited on 11/24/2012 at 7:43:29 AM PST

gbo1
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,979 Posts

[Post New]by gbo1 on Nov 24, 12 9:29 AM
Mamali, isn't it a bit confusing? We're not satisfied with the ending, but yet, we enjoyed the game? It's hard to explain. Apparently, we were very invested in the game and the story and desired a positive resolution for the poor people and monkey (loved him). I must remember never to become involved in the actual story. Just enjoy the gameplay.

Akela16, I wish I had an answer to your problem. I hope customer service can help you and you don't have to restart the game under another player name. That's usually the solution to this problem. Yes, I love Hitchcock. But the way ERS sets up the Haunted Legends thus far there is not likely to be a sequel to resolve the story issue. Again, the problem was, ERS drew me into the story line and didn't complete it to my satisfaction. Still loved the game.

Thank you, fellow fishies, for popping in. I wish you the best during this holiday season.

vthecat
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by vthecat on Nov 25, 12 9:06 PM
I just finished the game and I came here to post on how unsatisfactory the ending was. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who was left feeling that there could be more. It just ended. I wanted to undo the effects of the amulet, to cure the zombies. It wouldn't have taken much. Just a cut scene of the undertaker and his wife together and something about people being cured. Something....

gbo1
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,979 Posts

[Post New]by gbo1 on Nov 28, 12 4:49 PM
Hello, vthecat, and welcome to the pond. Thanks to you I can see a possible way to end the game. A cut scene would have been great. But your idea made me think of something else unsettling. Did you and other fishies note that there were 2 types of zombies? There were: (1) - the dead who were dug up and those killed by zombies who became zombies; then (2) the live people and the monkey, who were not dead - but had their souls sucked out and turned into zombies. A cut scene ending could have restored the undead zombies ( and cute monkey) and the dead would just fall down to be properly buried.

Wow! I must have really enjoyed this game because I keep coming back to this thread to see what others thought of the ending. I'm sure my initial posting didn't quite give the feeling that I enjoyed the game. The ending just. . . (what's the word?). . . sucked! (pardon my strong language)

Imagine our confusion and disapointment with the ending after the bonus game. Now try to imagine how the standard edition players are going to feel after the SE is released. There was no ending at all in the main game. Just a broken mirror and SG running off. I hope that ERS makes an adjustment to the standard edition ending before releasing. But I've never seen a change in the standard edition ending vs the main game ending in a collectors edition. (did that make sense?)

My brain is tired from over-thinking this game. I think I'll rest it for awhile then finish Mystery of the Ancients: Curse of the Black Water.

Keeping swimming. . .

Hatlady
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Hatlady on Jan 7, 13 6:14 PM
I have lightly skimmed thru this "thread" so as not to spoil the game for me but needed to come here (somewhere anyway) and ask, is there a walkthrough for this game? Can't locate one and am in the coffin room have the saw spinning (found its switch) but haven't a clue where to find the wood I need to cut for firewood - I do remember something (a note in this room) about which coffin to cut up but cannot pick up any coffin anywhere! HELP me please!!! Thanks in advance
Love, Hatlady
PLEASE, ignore this "thread" question - I got it 'attached' to the wrong game! Am confused but starting to "see the light" and will seek an answer in the right game. Thanks anyway Love, Hatlady

Edited on 01/08/2013 at 9:21:21 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 25, 13 10:56 AM
Not what I expected from an ERS Game. Too many unanswered / unresolved questions. It seemed buggy, as I was getting errors throughout the game and had to Ctrl-Alt-Del and then come back into the game. Everything from access errors to black blocks popping up all over the screen made the game almost unenjoyable.
This being said, outside of the problems, it was a typical ERS game with good graphics and sound. I thought BF Games checked these games for errors, Malware, and Viruses. Should I be worried?

[Post New]by nightsongfire on Jan 26, 13 9:05 PM
I've had the same problems with the game freezing, and having runtime and access violation errors, most of the time when I restart the game it went back to where I was before it froze, however several times I lost several minutes of game time and had to redo the actions that were lost. I also have had the same problems the Awakening the Skyward Castle CE, with the game freezing, except for that game, one time I lost everything, and had to restart the game. So not just a problem with this game.

arnold1049
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by arnold1049 on Feb 8, 14 12:58 AM
I agree with everyone; didn't like the ending of the main game or the bonus game because there was no ending to either one. I also wanted the zombies and the monkey rescued, particularly the zombies, as I thought that was the whole purpose of the game. I came to the forum to see if there is a sequel game, but I guess not.

I also had problems with the game either slowing down or freezing completely. When it slowed down, I got out of it and game back in, usually with not much loss of position. Other times I had to go to the task manager and end the game, then go back into it.

I wonder if anyone is listening to us and/or planning on doing anything about the technical issues or creating another game to start where this one "doesn't" end. LOL.

Edited on 02/08/2014 at 12:59:05 AM PST

Go to: