festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Easier to beat the computer on Manual set-up

[Post New]by festclick on Nov 20, 12 10:41 AM
If you're having trouble beating lots of computers on higher difficulty levels, try the manual set-up. From Match setup, choose advanced, and then switch board setup from automatic to manual. So instead of getting randomly placed troops and a useless starting continent, you can choose where to put your men. Your strategic choices can give you an edge and you can fight for the better continents.

I also find “turtling” to be good against computers. Instead of going on rampages and grabbing lots of territory you can't defend, just make one or two (successful!) attacks a turn and place defensive troops along borders, not just leaving one man in a new territory unless enemies have no border. You make yourself unappetising for the computers to attack and you may live longer and be around to take advantage of computer mistakes. Sometimes all it takes is cashing in a card set and eliminating one computer with cards, and you get a domino effect as you cash in more cards and eliminate another opponent.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Re:Easier to beat the computer on Manual set-up

[Post New]by festclick on Nov 22, 12 10:20 AM
SPOILER ALERT!

I managed to beat 5 expert computers, but only once in about 10 attempts.

I could only do it starting in Australia, and I lost quicker starting in other continents. On manual setup, that means I have to be in the first three players for it to be still sometimes available. Even starting in Australia, I lost a lot of times. The computer players are extremely aggressive, so with many players one of them is going to get lucky and grab lots of territory. There will be a weakest player coming under attack, and often it will be nowhere near you. So you need lots of luck, that the strongest player fails in trying to wipe out the weakest player with cards and the remains of the weak player are near enough for you to cash in a card set and destroy. Even surviving this long in the game is not easy. It would be nice to have more maps where the chance of success isn't so dependent on the starting continent.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

Re:5 expert computers

[Post New]by festclick on Nov 24, 12 2:55 PM
I can now beat five expert computers just about every time I start from Australia. But still never from anywhere else.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Re:Easier to beat the computer on Manual set-up

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 7, 13 7:28 AM
I did it - once only! - starting with South America. But I had very lucky dice that game!

Go to: