bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for Murder, She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 21, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Murder, She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Murder, She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Murder, She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 21, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Nov 21, 12 12:54 AM
From the demo: Though this game feels a little "less than new," it's still pretty enjoyable. It's a typical leisurely murder mystery. The first case is set in a nice little town with Autumn leaves falling and cute little shops all over the place.

Pros: - Nice graphics. Not the best ever, but not bad.
- The same typewriter hint system is in place from the last game, where you find letters hidden in scenes in order to fill in the blanks of your hidden object lists.
- Two modes: casual, which shows sparkles, and advanced, with no sparkles
- Voiceovers are quite good.
- There are three separate cases to solve!
- The cases seem to be straight up murder mystery, which is a nice change from something supernatural.
- Worked in normal, non-black-bar widescreen on my monitor, and has an aspect ratio button if you need it.

Cons: - You only get hints by collecting all of the spare letters in the hidden object scenes.
- Hidden object scenes are a little junkpile-y.
- Using inventory objects can be a little too linear at times, but it's not too bad.
- Puzzles are a little easy, although somewhat entertaining.

All in all, this is a good game for the type of game it is (it's interactive and adventure-lite with hidden object scenes).

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 21, 12 1:13 AM
Morning, all...

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is "Aspect Ratio". If it works for you, great.

The Hint button, in form of a typewriter, is at the left. You start off with 1 hint, but it refills if you use the last one. In Casual mode, it takes about 45 seconds to refill in the HOS (hidden object scenes), but stays filled when you use it in the main scenes.

In the HOS you not only have to find the objects from the list, but the list itself will have letters missing, which you can find (typewriter keys) among the hidden objects. Each time you find a typewriter key, that letter is added to the words in the list.

Your Journal, which has a Clues and an Objectives tab, is at the right.

Mini games can be skipped. I didn't time it the one time I encountered one, but the Skip button does take a while to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

I didn't care for the first "Murder, She Wrote" game, but this one seems to be more interesting. However, I wasn't thrown off my chair with even a remote feeling of excitement, so I will have to think about this one before deciding whether to buy or not to buy.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 3:42:11 AM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Nov 21, 12 2:22 AM
Played the entire demo, no glitches. I loved the first Murder She Wrote and have replayed it almost as many times as I've seen the TV reruns of MSW.

The main menu page graphics are a major WOW. But as I got into the game, it felt like this was slightly "less than" the first MSW. The voice work is pretty good and the graphics outside of the HOG scenes are pretty good. But the graphics within the HOG scenes seemed darker and less crisp. The typewriter keys are odd colors and quite obscured in several cases. The puzzles seemed more like separate tasks, not really too puzzling. The Hint button works outside the HOG scenes, so it will at least point you in the direction you need to go.

There are two difficulty modes, but Casual immediately shows a glint of a sparkle for every active area as soon as you enter a room. At least that's what it did on the first room. So I restarted on the Hard mode and it was much better. You'll get your cursor change when you mouse over an active area and still get all the text tips so there's nothing hard about it, but at least the little sparklies aren't going off all over the room when you walk in the door.

I really had to laugh at the idea that Jessica Fletcher would ever have been this inefficient!! Trotting back and forth, back and forth -- on foot no less. Where's that bicycle when she needs it?

No demons, decayed mansions, or car crashes. Just good old Mort and Jessica tripping over dead bodies everywhere they go. Cabot Cove looks like a nice place to live but that's some high mortality rate! I think I'll just visit while I play the game. Bought it with a punch code.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 21, 12 4:18 AM
High mortality rate indeed LOL. But what a lovely place for gathering up clues for lives lost. Love the colors in exterior scenes, quaint New England, crisp and clear graphics. No problem seeing objects in HOS. A lot more running around than I remember in the first of the series. They could call this story the case of the missing keys. so far as I got in the demo. Except the one not missing is of course too hard to reach, the usual tasks, and dontcha know you gotta find a clippers before reaching into those thorny roses.

It's almost a cliche of itself, but great fun for me. Can use some lite entertainment with a touch of nostalgia. Never mind it may be too easy for seasoned players, it's made for my age group who would still appreciate the TV series. Did she ever just solve a burglary or missing person, don't remember. Oh yeh, title is Murder She Wrote, but nothing gory or dreary like the usual HOPA fare. A lot more stuff to gather up and if you don't remember where it will be used, senior moments and all, the hint points the way outside of HOS. Didn't need any hints in HOS so they build up a future supply. Doesn't go wide screen on laptop even with the Ratio option, but not needed, easy to see with black bars. I think the first one did go wide, but my Vista laptop display had a stretch option in Display, W7 doesn't provide that with this graphics card. Most new games do run on wide, pity not this one. Oh well, adds to the quaint I guess.

Second game in a row I got without a walkthrough. Both nostalgia, JFK yesterday, so hope I have enough short term memory to get to the end. I love several short stories in games, will finish the first one and no problem playing another story later. No backtracking to figure out where I was. Just a comfortable game session for me. Still like that theme song and the old typewriter keys and fonts, good voice over too in spots. Would have bought it had I not had a pcc to use. Feels like a gift and much more interesting than the straight HOGs with themes but no mystery story to solve.

Back to my next clue....now what did we do with that key?

harkonnen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by harkonnen on Nov 21, 12 6:43 AM

I am very disappointed in this second Murder She Wrote game. The developers have abandoned the straight HOG format and joined the HOPA bandwagon.

No buy for me, I will just have to go back to playing the first one.

It would have been good if they had offered a straight HOG version also/instead.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Nov 21, 12 9:22 AM
it is finally here! I have been waiting for this for awhile! What a pleasant surprise to find this offered today. I knew today was the release date, but did not expect BFG to get it on the same day!

Oh but it is AWESOME to see bright graphics with loads of color. It is always a breath of fresh air when I can walk into a scene and it isn't raining or dismal gray!

The voice overs are very good! And the acting is "natural", not stiff, or loud or over dramatic.

The actor depictions are pretty much close as you can get to the real person.

As for what it offers: Easy and Hard modes. A journal with Objectives and Clues. A hint system that you build yourself by finding typewriter keys in the HO scenes. Not too much dialogue, but if you feel it is you can click to continue through or Skip, but these ARE Murder Mysteries and you sure WANT to know what is being said.

I have no idea of the length, but then again I am one of the types of players that take my time, lots of time, to look at scenery, listen to all the dialogue, and read the journals when they are offered.

If lovely colors, NO Dark and Eerie elements, no scare moments, no occult type themes, pleasant music bothers you, then this one isn't for you. However if these DO appeal to you, and you just want to have a nice enjoyable relaxing time with a game, then by all means, check this out!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

Re:Reviews for Murder, She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove Couldn't agree more!!!!!

[Post New]by shripch on Nov 21, 12 10:20 AM
rhonayotte wrote: it is finally here! I have been waiting for this for awhile! What a pleasant surprise to find this offered today. I knew today was the release date, but did not expect BFG to get it on the same day!

Oh but it is AWESOME to see bright graphics with loads of color. It is always a breath of fresh air when I can walk into a scene and it isn't raining or dismal gray!

The voice overs are very good! And the acting is "natural", not stiff, or loud or over dramatic.

The actor depictions are pretty much close as you can get to the real person.

As for what it offers: Easy and Hard modes. A journal with Objectives and Clues. A hint system that you build yourself by finding typewriter keys in the HO scenes. Not too much dialogue, but if you feel it is you can click to continue through or Skip, but these ARE Murder Mysteries and you sure WANT to know what is being said.

I have no idea of the length, but then again I am one of the types of players that take my time, lots of time, to look at scenery, listen to all the dialogue, and read the journals when they are offered.

If lovely colors, NO Dark and Eerie elements, no scare moments, no occult type themes, pleasant music bothers you, then this one isn't for you. However if these DO appeal to you, and you just want to have a nice enjoyable relaxing time with a game, then by all means, check this out!

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 10:22:27 AM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 21, 12 1:26 PM
I've been waiting, it seems forever, for this one. I have the first "Murder She Wrote" and really enjoyed it. It's one of the very few IHOGS that don't have all the ghosts, occult themes, etc. It's really hard to find just a plain old mystery that families can play. Without even playing the trial, yet, I know it's a buy for me!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 21, 12 2:44 PM
I also have the first Murder, She Wrote and really liked it...something not dark and spooky for a change (althought I do like those as well). The graphics seem a bit better with this one, same music, same HOGs (a bit dark in some places and difficult to find typewriter letters in some as well). Games are quite simple (I assume the paint thing is a game).

Seems a bit shorter than the first one and not as many places to explore. Didn't knock me off my chair with excitement either but I liked it and I am going to buy it.

As always, try it for yourself and see if it is for you. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Nov 21, 12 3:21 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you very much on behalf of those of us ( although we may be in the minority) who have had enough doom and gloom, spooky and dark, and horrible tragic plot games. I know it may seem hokey for some but I really do enjoy the lighter, brighter games anymore. I don't spend nearly as much on games anymore because I have had enough of the dreary, but I am very happy to see this game, as I enjoyed the first one and so have my grandchildren. It may also be a little nostalgia also. This game is fun, still fumbling around with Jessica who is so great at solving murders etc without leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Enjoyable!

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Nov 21, 12 3:28 PM
I am also one who enjoyed the first one and was surprised to see a sequel. I was happy to see that it was no longer straight hidden objects. I won't play those any more.
I bought this and I am enjoying it. It is not CE quality, but it is worth the SE price or a punchcard code. In the HO scenes you do not have to find the typewriter keys. They are vowels and will help you read the list, but as long as you find the items, the game doesn't care.
My biggest complaint is that the hint system is flawed. It sometimes leads to dead ends, because you don't have the right item in inventory. A walkthrough would be helpful. I am hopeful one will show up on the internet. Maybe until then we can help each other on this forum.

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Nov 21, 12 3:31 PM
I liked it. Refreshing change from the usual games I buy.
Ok, a bit stilted in parts, and does feel a bit outdated, but,3 mysteries to get through, was enough for me to use a credit and fill up my punch card for this month.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 21, 12 7:31 PM
Another lite, fun Murder She Wrote game! Ah, Jessica - the original "Master Detective"? Likely you'll like the game more if you're a fan of the show - but both games are fun on their own!

Pretty graphics, cute characters and the game runs like a top! Just one of those games that puts a smile on your face! Nothing deep or complex, but a well done and great way to spend any free time on a holiday weekend!

Happy Gaming!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 21, 12 10:44 PM

I've played 2 out of the 3 stories and I'm REALLY enjoying it much more than I thought I would.

I liked the first Murder, She Wrote but it was sort of campy.

This new one has alot of the bells and whistles of the new great games - especially great graphics and actually interesting murder mystery stories.

Very FUN!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 22, 12 3:10 AM
I loved the game once agaib the DEV"s out did themselves and I want to tank them for all there hard work and time everything was excellent in this game the sounds and Graphics wow BF another great game..Happy Thanksgiving to all the fishes in the pond..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 22, 12 10:47 AM
Bought it, played it, extremely disappointed. As I said in my previous posting, I have the first game and really liked it. This one is short, it seems unfinished. This could have been just as good as the first game without much help.

Had difficulty finding the typewriter keys in most of the HOGs, due to being very dark or quite hidden. This is definitely a game for beginners and no where near up to par as the first game.

Sorry I wasted the credit. Try it for yourself and see what you think.

Edited: Hey, I'm a Clown fish!

Edited on 11/22/2012 at 10:48:22 AM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 22, 12 7:41 PM
i did'nt like the tv series and i did'nt like this game no buy even as a dd

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 22, 12 8:24 PM

I bought it, played the whole game (all 3 stories) and I had a very pleasant Thanksgiving day of it - playing on and off all day.

Its not a police procedural like CSI, its a very nice HOPA game with good old fashioned murder mystery who-dun-its.

I'm queing up right now to announce I'll happily buy the next in the series so, hurry up devs - and thanks for this one!

Go to: