bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for Alexander the Great: Secrets of Power

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 21, 12 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Alexander the Great: Secrets of Power? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Alexander the Great: Secrets of Power page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Alexander the Great: Secrets of Power

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 21, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 21, 12 2:05 AM
Morning, all...

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is just the custom cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen, but your game area is only full screen, with coloured borders on either side - the way it usually is with games from this particular developer.

When navigating within an area to the left or right, you can choose a smooth or fast move. The fast one will get you to the next scene instantly, with the smooth one you get motion.

In the Main Menu you will find a "Tutorial" button. Click it, and there is a list of things that explains everything to you.

Your Smart Phone is at the left. You can take pictures with it, and contains your diary, and lots of other things.

The Hint button, in form of a compass, is at the right. It only takes about 20 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Next to it is your interactive Map.

Puzzles can be skipped. To find out what you have to do, click on the Hint button. The Skip button takes about 40 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

Some of the HOS (hidden object scenes), which are not interactive, have terrible graphics, and some have better ones.

Some of the main scenes have terrible graphics, and some have better ones.

There are quite a lot of puzzles and HOS following one after another.

--- --- ---

When I first demoed the game at the developer's site, I got quickly bored with it. I only remembered it now, when I played the demo a second time.
However, this game is intriguing enough for me to get it with a PCC.

ETA: Changed my mind. Won't even get the game wit a PCC, because this game is incredibly boring, and the change of the graphics from very good to very bad makes gameplay no fun at all.

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 7:22:25 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Nov 21, 12 3:43 AM
When I try this game in the morning I tought this is nothing. But I played now the demo and I like it very much. A lot of HOS and puzzles and I like puzzles.
I used a PCC for the game.

Edit: I have a very strange voice.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 4:07:26 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Nov 21, 12 4:36 AM
I hate lights game, u had to write the combination down and some are so sneaky that they will light up differently if a different combination of lights are lighted or off. But mini puzzles are great, some variations on HOS, with outline, drawers that could be opened within HOS, quite fun.

BUMMER:
1) I had dark boxes right and left of my 26" screen so it does not fill up the screen
2) At 2 scenes when I clicked skipped, it blanked out totally even though I could hear the characters talking and graphics got filled again after a while

WONT vote it based on graphics, although aside from the black left and right sides of my screen, the game is great and graphics within the game itself (except for skip and if I ignored the black strips left and right) is good actually. Too bad graphics didnt fill up the wide screen monitors, but still worth using a free game coupon

Most mini games are easy, eg, jigsaw, directing lights to open a box pedestal inside the temple, etc

Verdict: greatly recommended

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 21, 12 7:16 AM
this game felt dated to me, i also could not get rid of the black side bars. no buy here!

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 21, 12 7:21 PM
Almost missed this litte soft release tucked in quietly next to MCF was also distracted by a new Murder She Wrote (and sleep deprivtion from playing MCF) - so glad I was paying just enough attention to download the trial though!

Lovely game! Beautiful graphics, very interesting story (helps if you were/are really facinated with Alexandar the Great - like me!) usually I don't comment on voice overs - but so far the ones in this game are awesome! The voices (for folks we "meet" in the demo anyway) really fit the characters!

I opted for hard mode & so far - no sparkles, no guidance etc - and lots of random things to click on - I always find that interesting - like devs that put in lots of little details!

Runs well - a little hinky but not a deal breaker! Give this one a try, all in all it's given me yet another November game to be thankful for!

Happy Gaming!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 22, 12 3:17 AM
I want to thank the DEV's for this awesome game and big fish I love the graphics and sounds DEv's thank you for all your hard work and time you deserve a
5 .. I bought the game after 20 minutes into the game..such beautiful graphics and nice sounds what a treat..so many great games the past few games to buy.. wow
Thx BF for all the great games.. ..
Happy Thanksgiving to all the fishes in the pond have fun..

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Nov 23, 12 3:10 PM
Plays like an outdated HOPA and the cheesy voice of your character sounds like Charlie Sheen which is a bit irritating.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 27, 12 8:00 AM
This game has some beautiful graphics although I found some of the hidden object scenes to be not quite as good. While the majority of the objects in the HO scenes were OK a few were rather well hidden and some were small, luckily the hint/skip button filled quite fast.

I found the story interesting , the voices good , I liked the puzzles and found the jumpable map very good . There was no click penalty , instead of one you get told "Don't worry you will find everything eventually" thanks for this comment devs and for not "punishing" us .

One thing I didn't like was the light pattern which flashed onto the screen after each scene and, while it was a pretty design, I found it a completely unnecessary addition to this game and thought it more suitable for appearing after finishing a level in an arcade game.

Another thing I think was overdone was the advertising for the devs previous game of Mystery of Mortlake Mansion (yes devs I did buy it when it came out ) and while it was acceptable to see it shown on the game's main menu page I didn't feel it should have been shown every time the smart phone had new historical information to impart and I have to confess I got fed up of seeing both this ad and the light patten long before I finished the game.

Summary ... This is a quite a long game with an abundance of hidden object scenes and it held my interest long enough to complete it and not let it collect dust sitting on my desktop.

Cherb

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Dec 1, 12 2:22 PM
Great game! Long,interesting, wonderful graphics,travel to other countries. Well worth the cost. I would recommend it to anyone, not easy and makes you think. Good brain game

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jan 1, 13 10:00 PM
The game isn't perfect but it has some nice touches that make it worth playing.. for example you can click on a glove and baseball to toss the ball... and other things like that that I don't want to spoil by listing. It's the way an adventure game SHOULD be... allowing you to click on random things in the environment and being rewarded for doing so and not punished because it wasn't the specific thing the "game" wanted you to click on. I'm buying just for that!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 29, 13 10:46 AM
Just finished the demo and have decided to use a credit to buy. I am finding this game enjoyable. Voiceovers are entertaining and although there are several cutsceanes they can be skipped and are saved if you want to reveiw them for some reason. You are given the option of having the scenes slide by or to allow you to click into them if the movement makes you dizzy. I play on the normal setting so you do get some help along the way.

Mini games are fun and easy which is really a plus for this mini game hater. There are several HOS but the items are clear, and although can be small are still quite easy to find. There is a click penalty, but it is kind of funny so you don't mind it and once you know its there you are more careful. Hint is an almost instant recharge which is great and the skip almost as fast if you run into a mini game you want to pass by.

Graphics crisp, clear and colorful. One funny thing is the main "guy" takes on your name so if you are a female..it seems kinda of odd to have "his" name a female name and his voice male.....go figure on that one!

I am getting close to the end of the month and since BF will take away your points if you don't use them, I am glad that I found this one as BF has been pretty slim the past few months on SEs that are worth buying.

Additional comments: Just finished the game....hmmmm the ending does not complete the game apparently there is either a CE which does (grrrrrrr) or there will be s sequel...The CE I won't buy, I don't believe in that crappola, but a sequel...I will get in a heartbeat. GREAT GAME, long play....cheesy ending.

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 8:49:22 AM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 14, 14 12:52 AM
Outdated and boring. Scenes are slow to buffer. The main character's voice is irritating, and he talks way too much. I did find the graphics to be unusual and interesting, with the objects in the HOS being quite well camouflaged -- moderately challenging but not all that difficult to find. Ultimately, it was the main character's voice-overs that did me in. I couldn't stand one more syllable!

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Aug 19, 14 8:58 PM
For its time, the game is neither outdated nor boring. It throws more obstacles at gamers than many of todays games. I wish developers would concentrate on challenging the gamers, rather than overload them with un-nessasary bells & whistles! Need more games of this kind.

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Oct 24, 14 9:43 PM
I wished the developer put as much effort into this game as their two previous games. There is an overwhelming amount of reuse, both in assets (mainly sounds) and puzzle types. Sometimes it feels the game was created as a stop-gap measure rather than a fully planned product. There are way too many attempts to get you to buy their previous games. That said, the special effects are still great, and I'm still impressed by the work they put into their particle systems.

Go to: