bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

UPDATE! New PC version Available - November 28, 2012

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Nov 21, 12 4:40 PM
Hi Fishies,

We just received a new PC version of Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition that addresses the following:

o Vignette locks won’t reset if changing profiles during HO scenes

o Church door puzzle won’t crash when closing

o Credits and typos fixed

o Fixes to prison records room door lock and final puzzle Drag-And-Drop issues

You can get the newest version by uninstalling and reinstalling your game. Here's the link to a help article with more information on how to do this:

Uninstall / Reinstall a Game

If you haven't purchased the game yet, find the game and reinstall the trial version (when available) to play any remaining minutes. Your game should pick up where you left it once reinstalled!

If you have any other problems, please contact our Customer Support team for more assistance. Just click on the green on the right to get to our Help pages, and if you still need assistance, click Contact Us to the bottom-left of the screen to submit a help ticket.

Happy Gaming, Master Detectives!

bfgMonongahela

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 3:17:42 PM PST

sandyterryb
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

Re:UPDATE! New PC version Available - November 21, 2012

[Post New]by sandyterryb on Nov 21, 12 10:42 PM
Just installed it and still large black bars on right side and bottom of page.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 10:45:17 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 22, 12 3:45 AM
sandyterryb wrote:Just installed it and still large black bars on right side and bottom of page.

What else can we expect? CS tried to get me full screen by suggesting I should go into my Catalyst Control Center and tick the "Aspect Ratio" box. But it was already ticked.
And their suggestion to lower my DPI didn't help either.

There are 4 other games (one is "The 13th Skull) I own, which start out with wide borders around the screen, but I get full screen when I lower the resolution manually. However, nothing works with this game.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 22, 12 3:53 AM
Hi sandyterryb,

This game did not include any display updates.

We have found that a few adjustments, that will help the game and your computer communicate more effectively, will usually improve the display.

If you have checked your screen resolution and updated your drivers already, I would suggest reaching out to our Tech Support Team. One of our Reps will be happy to help and provide dedicated support for you particular issue.

Thanks,

bfgBaikal

Edited on 11/22/2012 at 11:38:07 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 22, 12 9:02 AM
Not trying to pick on BG but why does BG CS always tell us to update our drivers?. If some games get it right why is it not possible for all games to get it right? Alot of the users here are not of the technical level to be able to just go in and change their system and we should not have to if the programmers did their job especially since I have played a game everyday and they have all worked except this one.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 22, 12 10:20 AM
I am not very happy seeing the same copy&paste responses moderators offer on the game forums. It's not their fault, of course, that they have to repeat the same things over and over, but someone at BF needs to come up with something that widens their suggestions/help.

In most cases a driver that needs to be updated is not the issue, but usually it's the way the game has been programmed. I very rarely have a complaint, and all the games I download from here on a daily basis play in full screen and without problems.

So when a game comes along that seems to have a glitch in the programming and I get the usual copy&paste "help", I get really annoyed, because I know there was no thought behind the so called "help" post, but it's just a routine post that is posted every time someone has an issue.

If a lot of people complain about a game's play, then perhaps the first thing to do is reassure us that the developers are looking into it right away, and we will either get a new version out, or tell us that for the handful of people who do have issues, they can't be bothered to change something in the programming (as was the case with the old "Tri-Peaks 2" solitaire game. Although system requirements for this game are XP/Vista and Windows 7 (they have even added Win8 now), the game does not save whenever I exit.
I talked to CS about it, and was told that because only a few people complaint about it, the developers didn't see the point in looking into the game again.

So anyway... rant over. LOL

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 22, 12 12:09 PM
Hi mhatfie and Valdy!

I think you both make really good points and I totally understand that seeing similar help and information being posted can be frustrating. Being the author of many of these posts, I really do see where you are coming from and this is something we recognize as a Team.

The reason the scope of our troubleshooting is relatively narrow is due to the fact that, in the Forums, we can only make suggestions drawn from the information in our Help Pages. Giving more specific instructions can lead to unnecessary troubleshooting or damage to game files etc.

Just to let you know, if we do come across a known fix for an issue that can be replicated easily, we will always post that in the Forum, or push for it to be included in a new build.

While we do filter feedback regarding game errors to departments that investigate them, the best way work we can resolve individual and more widespread issues, is to have you work with our Tech Support Team. This way we can be exact in our advice, collect information that could lead to a fix, offer alternatives and also check for any underlying issues that may affect future games.

We are really grateful to all the Fishies who take the time to contact us or post help regarding tech issues so as always, thank you for working with us.

bfgBaikal

Edited on 11/22/2012 at 12:11:04 PM PST

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Nov 22, 12 3:06 PM
I would jump in and reinstall the updated version...BUT...since I sent in the drfelix report I am sure I will be told to 'update'...the reason I will not be doing the 'try again' is that my system has now sort of stuck in some 'cyber point' and I cannot play ANY games that I have purchased in past, present and today because the bottom of screen u cannot read the messages, some I have had to 'shut down' computer to get out of as the 'menu' is listed so far below that its not able to 'see'...have had NO OTHER problems since I had my puter fixed and updated last august...am so unhappy!...did not get the 2011 MCF EFR but at least the game told me up front 'NO WAY U CAN PLAY THIS GAME' which meant I was told an 'update to video card'...called my puter tech, he told me $$$...well for one game this was not on my budget agenda...Sorry I have done all on this end to play after the first...now I have a border issue and nothing seems to come 'unstuck'...Yes I am flustrated, four days of not able to play ANY of my 400+ games really is past my tolerance point...Needless to say C/S is the greatest and BFG is the ONLY GAME SITE that I have ever used (member 3 yrs) and am just saying this is the second time am dissappointed with the trademark game!
Will see what happens when I get a reply!
Lets...

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 23, 12 3:47 AM
Hi letsdoit,

I am so sorry that you find yourself in this position - you definitely did the right thing by reaching out to the Tech Support Team, as they will be able to provide specific help to ensure you can access all of your games.

I have my fins crossed that this will be sorted for you soon and would like to thank you for working with us on this.

bfgBaikal

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 23, 12 4:53 AM
let's, if you're still having trouble with all of your displays, you should be able to correct that on your desktop. With nothing open, right-click anywhere on your screen. You should see a menu with either Settings or Screen resolution as an option. You will be able to use that to set your screen correctly (1280x1024 or 1920x1080 probably).

You won't be able to do anything about the black bars around Shadow Lake though. That needs a BFG fix.

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Nov 23, 12 9:51 AM
thx ... mr.russ...i have my settings at the 1024x768 as it was when I retrieved it from the comp tech office...I have changed it up several times to different settings, restart my puter, tried to play games already on GM, but none of the others have worked either... but since I am going to reinstall game to see what happens...will check back in...got reply from BFG C/S this morning and did the check on update drivers, all was done a while back...check on graphic options and it full screen...so that was already done, just have to get back to C/S...I also got a reply from the MS support and went off to a place which I did explore but there is no way I am changing something that I do not know about...I just do the basics...So will see. Thanks to all as many of the posts have been very informative...Later
Lets...

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 23, 12 9:57 AM
Sorry, lets, but I'm a bit confused. What doesn't work, your default display, every BFG game or just Shadow Lake?

What O/S?

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Nov 23, 12 11:57 AM
hi! again...mr russ...my OP is internet explorer 8...have done all updates...I did the 'ask' on the MS webpage...got back an answer of.... Have you checked device manager, event viewer to see if there are any issues there...system restore? ...went to device manager and there is some changes I care not to do as I am computer literate but not into the C Drive change up...I have done system restore 'twice'...still have the borders on top and right of screen no matter even on my homepage...when it starts up the info is off to the side...this was not the case BEFORE the d/l of MCF game...my monitor is an acer that also does the 'configure' on (also have messed with the different settings on that?)...I changed the settings numerous times, restart, turned off, etc...but no such luck with these borders...reinstalled a few minutes ago the game, still was stuck on 'borders' that would not let me know what was on the inventory or where to go (if stuck)...am now gone and did all updates recommended by C/S...the game has 34 minutes left but was so p.o. that the borders were worse when I changed up settings...about an inch on top and 1/2 inch on right...when i changed (for giggles) to the larger resolustion I got a border on the left of about 2 inches...not sure if this will make since but have had NO problems with any of my games up until I d/l this game????
sorry...but hopefully I made some sense?
Lets...

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 23, 12 12:04 PM
Hi. I think you mean Windows 8 rather than Internet Explorer 8. IE is your browser,
rather than your operating system (O/S).

I think I know what's gone wrong. You need to adjust your monitor rather than your screen.

Once your resolution says 1280x1024, you should have some buttons on your monitor itself. One of them should be auto (adjust). Try those.

You need to be outside of any application to do this, ie all software should be closed.

[I've just looked at this monitor and I have an option called Factory Reset which set my screen to 1280x1024 60 Hz]

ETA I have an Auto Adjust button as well, just next to my monitor's off switch.

Edited on 11/23/2012 at 12:07:46 PM PST

[Post New]by stornyla58 on Nov 23, 12 12:51 PM
I completed the pre-update version of this game, including opening the safe at the quarry .... HOWEVER, THERE LIES THE PROBLEM!! Only 1/2of the safe opened!!!! It would seem this is a 'glitch' . I really have no interest in doing the ENTIRE GAME A SECOND TME which it seems is exactly what will be required if I uniinstall/reinstall the updated version!

This is very disappointing ,, I pay the 13.99 so that I can get ALL of the bonus extras ... in this case, I wish I had just waited for the regular version... doing so would have saved me $7 .....new game testers on board or what????

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 24, 12 11:16 AM
bfgMonongahela wrote:Credits and typos fixed
Not all of them. I've found two.

"So up on high it's gaze shall rest"
it's gaze instead of its gaze - it's = it is.

It should be August 17th instead of August 15th for the second time. She (Ellen) was reported missing on the 15th. The following day the search started, the day after that, ie two days after being reported missing, she was found, ergo 17th, not 15th again.

Edited on 11/24/2012 at 11:19:32 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 24, 12 11:28 AM
stormyla wrote:Only 1/2of the safe opened!!!! It would seem this is a 'glitch' .
You're right. The door is hinged on the right and should move completely out of the way (wide flat) when it's opened.

[Post New]by rrfranczak3 on Nov 24, 12 12:09 PM
do you need to create a new profile or can you just load the update and pick up from where you left off?

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 24, 12 1:18 PM
rrfranczak3 wrote:do you need to create a new profile or can you just load the update and pick up from where you left off?
That depends on how far you've got. If you found all 50 morphs and got the Madame Fate ticket you will have to start from the beginning again with a new profile.

[Post New]by rrfranczak3 on Nov 24, 12 1:38 PM
No, I just got to the records room in the prison so I dont think I need to...thanks

Go to: