gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

user created WALKTHROUGH for first case - Masterpiece of murder

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 22, 12 2:03 PM
Doing this will not change BFG from ever releasing a walkthrough (believe me!) this is just until they do, if they do, as there wasn't one.

I don't see this as my walkthrough but a user one so if there are any mistakes or improvements, post and I will add them.

I don't note everything you can click on but only when you can do something with them but click on other things in scene.

Also keep clicking on characters for conversations when you see them, I don't note many either.

You get hints and skip on both levels, hints will replenish but you get an extra hint if you find all 6 type-writer keys in every HOS.

Masterpiece of murder

Click on mailbox (right side of screen it’s white) to open it to get key.
Click on glass door just above mailbox to get close up of door and use key.
Click on door again to be in Milton’s lounge.

Milton’s lounge –

-Click on newspaper on sofa to get lid prop.
-Use lid prop on piano to get harp
-Use harp on angel on mantle to get ship in bottle
- Click on table by bookcase to play HOS 1 to get magnet
- Put ship in bottle beside other ship in bottles to right of fireplace and use magnet on it to get key, pick up key

Go to art gallery (go up a scene from outside milton’s house)

-Use key on door
-Click on hand by body to get torn card
-Go through to back area to study and click on computer on desk, take print out from printer. This activates the paper puzzle on floor.

Paper puzzle – click on item to highlight it and drag to move out of way. You can only move items that aren’t overlapping or touching. Move things out of the way to get a blue note. Then move other things out of the way to reveal in the middle to reveal a keycard and footprint. Take keycard.

Go back to front area and click on top of counter – use keycard to get HOS 2, finish to get shears.

Go to back study area

-click on printer to open it to get knife handle.
- use shears twice on roses in corner to get drawer key.
-use key on desk drawer, take curtain rope.
-use curtain rope on top right side of curtain back in front area, click to open.

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 1:56:33 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

Re:USER created WALKTHROUGH for first case - Masterpiece of murder - please don't post

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 22, 12 2:20 PM
Go back to scene you started in and use knife handle on blade (leaflet under cart wheel) to get knife.

Go to Milton’s lounge (click on door above mailbox) click on cushion and use knife on patch to get winding key.

Use winding key on item in drawer in the office in art gallery to get photo 1/3

Go to brushstrokes art supplies (opposite miltons house)
- talk to Donny,
- use knife on 2 red balloon (one is at area to left of Milton) in this new area,
- click on stand with leaflets to get close up and get zipper and an instruction page.
-Click on purple carpet top right corner to use knife to get ink recovery liquid.

Go back to main area where Donny is and put red balloons beside the yellow one. Click on now open box on counter and get business card and printer head.

Then click on right side of counter to get HOS 3 to get paint thinner.

Go to art gallery

In office, put print cartridge in printer and get instruction for puzzle in art supply shop (goes into journal)
Go back to art shop (outside it’s one screen down) and click on box beside the ship to left of screen.

Do box puzzle stick man - use journal for correct configuration, it's fiddly click on elbow and knee joints to move, clicking on shoulder joints is the same movement as elbow. Click on man when in correct position. 2nd & 3rd time I did it to try a step by step had problems when he was in position I had to leave the shop then come back, and then put both his legs straight (ish) it worked ( it didn't look like the stick man in journal )

get helmet.

Go back to art gallery to put helmet on statues (on right) to activate soldier puzzle

goal - put weapons on right man, swap men around using silhouette as a guide button moves them in 360, line them up.

Edited on 11/24/2012 at 5:25:55 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

Re:USER created WALKTHROUGH for first case - Masterpiece of murder - please don't post yet

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 22, 12 2:30 PM
solution for soldier puzzle-

Swap third man with first man
put bow & arrow from 4th stand now on archer in 1st position

Swap third man with second man
put two swords on 2nd stand onto man in 2nd position, press button

swap fourth and third man
put sword on 3rd stand on man in 3rd position

fourth man put weapon on 1st stand on him and press his button twice

use ink recovery liquid on paper from puzzle.

Go out of shop go up a screen to click on boat and put zipper on bag take connector and use that on same scene to connect the boat and car.

Go down newly opened area “fey street” and talk to Sabrina.
-click on blue covered stairs to get paint code on right pain tin,
- go into law office house, use letter on Sabrina.
-click beside phone to get crank, click on picture.
-click on blue splatter on wall, to get 2/3 photograph.
-click on plastic bucket beside desk on left to get HOS 4. for metal file

Art gallery
-use metal file to get blue paint scrapings on edge of desk in office area.

Go back to art supplies shop through the back
- click on puzzle on the wall.

Put paint code on clip on left, blue paint scraping on dish on right, use paint thinner on paint scraping, use paint brush on now thin blue paint in this dish and use brush on upper right rectangle shape. Now you can do the pipe puzzle on tubes. Then using the numbers on the paint card, click on knobs of paint at top so black twice, then white twice then blue once. On the now newly formed paint at bottom use paint brush on that paint and then click on rectangle area for comment. Pick up painting piece 1/1.

-pick up spider repellent that’s fallen on floor. Go down,
- use this on spider in cardboard box in corner to get wire with hook.

Go up to area beside moose lodge
, talk to Natalie,
- click on window just to left of her when she’s standing by lamppost.
- use wire with hook on keys, click on keys, give keys to Natalie.

Edited on 11/22/2012 at 7:48:04 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

Re:USER created WALKTHROUGH for first case - Masterpiece of murder - please don't post ye

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 22, 12 2:44 PM
Automatically be in her home,

-use metal file on bird cage take wooden bird.
-Click on table and put your torn card, on area for puzzle.
- Click on paper and take 3/3 photo.
-Take umbrella that’s hanging beside curtain.
-click on box at back on floor to get HOS 5 to get paint mixing formula 1/2

Go back to Milton’s house to put all the photographs back in photo album in bookcase to activate puzzle. Swap photos around to get a photo with time on it (sticking out of side). Then put wooden bird on clock click and drag on clock hands to set time to new photo (6.45pm). Take legal documents.

Go back up to Fey street to law office and click on bookshelf to put legal documents back to get a puzzle – move folders around so they form a continuous picture. (woman first then start of scale hand and last part of scale) automatically get a heart.

Go back to milton’s house click on journal and put heart on it to get paint formula 2/2.

Go back to art supply and put paint formula on pipe puzzle again, repeat the same as last time this time using different code (so clicking on black once, white once, and blue twice)

Go back to front area to click on counter to get a repeat HOS (HOS 6) to get bear.

Go back to Natalie’s studio and use paint evidence on Natalie. Click on basket to left of her to get can opener and pliers.

Go to law office to use pliers on nails on desk drawer to get penknife, tweezers.

Head back to art gallery
-use tweezers on bit of paper on floor at back area to get evidence against shawn 1/2.
-front area of art gallery and click on empty painting now on floor

Painting outline puzzle

- use bear on right side of frame.
-use penknife on big area and trace lines using the symbol that is flashing on the bear as a guide. There is an arrow on top of frame to undo if you make a mistake.

After puzzle, click on top of counter beside it to do a repeat HOS (HOS 7) to get cat food.

Go to law office

-click on cat and use cat food then can opener on it.
-pick up dumpster handle and picture piece 2/2.

Edited on 11/22/2012 at 7:50:38 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

Re:USER created WALKTHROUGH for first case - Masterpiece of murder - updating

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 22, 12 3:25 PM
-use dumpster handle on outside dumpster to get broken shoe.
-use shoe on Sabrina.
-Click on area beside desk to get a repeat HOS (HOS 8) to get crowbar.
- Use this outside on grate on road to get grease.

Use crank on mechanism to left of Haley’s sculpture’s shuttered shop then use grease.
- Take poster off fireplace,
-click on chisel holder on wall to activate chisel puzzle.
- Click on handle and then on chisel end using the outlines as a guide then put the complete chisel in the right spot. cutscene - click on area again and see frame is crooked with symbols behind them these are now in your journal.
-Click on side table beside fire to look under it and use umbrella to get glue solvent.

Go back to Natalie’s studio
-use glue solvent on bin/trash can under table to get photo and scoop.
- Place painting pieces on two paintings on wall to get a puzzle. Click and swap tiles to separate two paintings then get a statue.

. Back at Haley’s workshop use scoop on ashes in fire tile puzzle click tiles in right order (order is in journal and from behind chisel frame you click on some tiles twice) to get piece of paper. Use this piece of paper on ram statue at back for ram puzzle.

piece of paper says "I FRAMED BY WHO?" It's a straight alphabet to numbers code A=1, B=2 puzzle. You have click on normal number then the number in roman numerals. So as I is 9 - you would click on 9, IX, then the corresponding numbers for the next letter which is F so that is number 6 and so on. I found on hard you couldn't even click on the wrong number, so you can do it that way.

Edited on 11/25/2012 at 2:49:42 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

Re:USER created WALKTHROUGH for first case - Masterpiece of murder - please don't post yet

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 22, 12 3:37 PM
ram solution is 9,6,18,1,13,5,4,2,25,23,8,15 some of the corresponding roman numerals (didn't put them all in) are
9,6,18 (XVIII), 1,13 (XIII), 5 (V), 4 (IV), 2, 25 (XXV), 23 (XXIII),

Get blood covered chisel.

Go back to art gallery and put statue in same place as bear on right side of frame and use blood chisel on painting and repeat the puzzle you did earlier. You get evidence against shawn 2/2. Give to Shawn at Haley’s workshop, get doctor’s note.

Click on bookcase in Haley’s for HOS 9 get trolley.

Go to Natalie’s workshop and use doctor’s letter on her.

-Use trolley on crates by door, click on crates to put on cart, move cart out of way.
-put poster under door, paintbrush in keyhole take poster to get key.
- Open door, switch on light (right side above desk)
-click on second drawer in purple dresser move top to get paper disc.
-Use paper disc on viewer on window back in main room.

viewer/slide puzzle

Press lever on right (to cycle through photos) on each photo, hit the focus knob (left hand one) then cycle through the colours (right knob) until you get a formula on each one. Once you see the formula keep hitting the left knob to focus it until the formula for each one appears in top left of screen (there are three). You get the formula.

Click on box on floor by the viewer to get a repeat HOS - HOS 10 to get paint solvents.

Look under bed in other room HOS 11 to get knob.

- Use knob on desk drawer, click on pipe in drawer first then the matches on top of desk use match on pipe.

-Click on coffee table, on book to get cipher puzzle. Use cipher (viewer puzzle formula) in inventory on cipher puzzle.
M=1V
E-11
S= vi

Move wheels to code, brown one M-IV, blue E-II, yellow one S- iv. Then click on number on upper left side then click on the letter in the alphabet using all the corresponding numbers on the wheel as they are now correct.

Do cipher - note that the S has a small “i” and not a capital one so there is only one place that the S goes! Other symbols are like that as well. Doing one number does not fill in the rest of the same number you have to do each one manually.

Edited on 01/14/2013 at 9:19:59 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 22, 12 3:39 PM
cipher says *meet me at the art store Donny*

Go to art supply store, talk to people,
-click on easel/frame leaning against left side of counter for close up.
- Use crowbar on right painting.
-Click on painting again and use paint solvent on it for paint puzzle

Clicking on jars reveal a word – so click on jar and then colour in painting that you think it corresponds to. If you don't get a cutscene at end keep clicking on different jars as you've missed a spot!

solution -

Cowardice – yellow
Melancholy – blue
Royalty – purple
Anger – red
Midnight – black
Gluttony – orange
Envy – green

When finished - auto cutscene and the end of the first case.

FINISHED

Edited on 01/14/2013 at 9:19:26 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

Re:USER created WALKTHROUGH for first case - Masterpiece of murder - finished

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 22, 12 5:28 PM

Feel free to post. Thanks to mods who stickied them until and if a big fish official one comes along.

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 1:50:27 PM PST

Re:user created WALKTHROUGH for first case - Masterpiece of murder -updated

[Post New]by MRSBUCHANAN on Nov 23, 12 8:41 AM
you're a good gal!

Boomer47
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Boomer47 on Nov 23, 12 3:46 PM
Thank you so very much !!!

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
353 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Nov 23, 12 9:27 PM
I really appreciate your hard work gingergal, but I guess I am just not smart enough or too old or something. I made it all the way to the viewer slide puzzle pretty much on my own but just hit a brick wall. I hope it is because I am tired and will try again tomorrow but it just doesn't make sense to me. I realize I cannot play the next two games until this one is solved but just can't get it. But I do thank you for all of your help and I will at least try once more tomorrow.

tjgillis
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by tjgillis on Nov 24, 12 8:37 AM
I also send my thanks for your posting. I was dead in the water until I would get hints. I kept looking for the oil to apply the crank and the crowbar,but had missed something. You have saved my sanity. Teach them not to give us a walkthrough. Humph!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 24, 12 9:59 AM
theoldbag wrote:I really appreciate your hard work gingergal, but I guess I am just not smart enough or too old or something. I made it all the way to the viewer slide puzzle pretty much on my own but just hit a brick wall. I hope it is because I am tired and will try again tomorrow but it just doesn't make sense to me. I realize I cannot play the next two games until this one is solved but just can't get it. But I do thank you for all of your help and I will at least try once more tomorrow.

I'll try and go into it to see if I can do a "press left lever once turn left knob once" etc kind of thing. But it may be days before I can get round to replaying it.

To make it clearer in the meantime there are three levers/knobs that you use for this puzzle.
There is a 'lever' on the right side which when you press it will change a picture. When you first press the lever nothing seems to show it's all blurry so you need to turn the left knob which is the focus knob to bring the picture into focus.

When you do that, then turn the right knob which has letters on it, each letter corresponds to a different colour. Turn this knob you will see the picture now has changed colour keep doing this till you see some writing on the picture. You may have to also use the left focus knob after each colour change (?)

When writing does appear you may find nothing happens - no entry onto memo in upper left corner so you have to turn the focus knob till it does.

When you get an entry then click on right lever to bring up a different fuzzy picture and repeat above till you get all different entries with different pictures each picture is a different colour to get this part of formula.

Hope this gets you through.

Thanks for all the thanks!

Edited on 11/24/2012 at 9:59:57 AM PST

dmih73
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by dmih73 on Nov 24, 12 3:02 PM
Okay Gingergal, I've got the prop and propped the lid of the piano, but how do I get the harp for the cupid? I've ck'd around piano and curser doesn't change so I can click and get something. I can't get out of the house to search for something to snip the pillow. SO I AM stuck in this room doing absolutely nothing but getting more and more frustrated.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 24, 12 4:56 PM
dmih73 - It would have been helpful if I had put the word piano in there wouldn't it! I could have sworn it was, don't know what happened sorry about that!

Just replayed it, when the piano opens there is a silver/white object lying in the new area inside the piano, right next to the now vertical 'lid prop' it's very visible if you can't see it don't know what it is wrong?

Edited on 11/24/2012 at 5:04:51 PM PST

Moon38
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Moon38 on Nov 24, 12 9:58 PM
Im on the last case. What is the symbol code for the thing in the library? Thanks

[Post New]by CandieFuller on Nov 25, 12 12:10 AM
Hi! I can't figure out which tiles to click twice in the fireplace at Haley's Galleries.

[Post New]by CalifDreaming on Nov 25, 12 10:32 AM
Gingergal,
Big "High Five" fin slap to you. I had decided not to buy MSW 2 because I couldn't get that friggin stick figure. W/your walkthrough I did get it & finished the 1st story.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 25, 12 12:52 PM
moon 38 - Did you see my walkthrough for third case? http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/230032.page#4827162

Do you mean the symbols for Shamus office? If not tell me what post it is (3rd down etc) and what I call it as that isn't a ringing a bell. If it is Shamus office I said this

* shamus office to get symbols (?)
-Click on trophy cabinet on lower right put symbols on area

symbol puzzle

click in order that the symbol note tells you to

solution-
two rows if going from left to right and I am numbering them 1-6 ( first row is second row is 3-6 ) then press 5,1,3, 4,2,6

(it would be so easier with screenshots!)

Edited on 11/25/2012 at 1:19:03 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 25, 12 1:04 PM
candiefuller The pictures of the tiles are in the journal. Just go in sequence in the journal and when you see the symbol repeated in the journal press the tile again.

I can't do screenshots and I would think it would be more confusing for me to say number tiles then try and give them another number in order to press them but if that would be easier for you, I will try and do it if you want me to - please let me know, just thought it would be confusing!

califdreaming -
Thanks. I don't know what is up with that stick man puzzle but having done it three times and twice I had to do that it does seem like a glitch but you can get past it.

theoldbag
- Did my explanation get you through the viewer puzzle or do you want me to do a step by step for you?

For more help for others reading each of the case threads and for reducing spoilers for people who haven't reach an area yet
could questions for each case be put in that thread .

I didn't make this clear but think that may be more helpful.

Go to: