bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Botanica: Into the Unknown

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 24, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Botanica: Into the Unknown? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Botanica: Into the Unknown page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 11/24/2012 at 12:38:37 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Botanica: Into the Unknown

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 24, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 24, 12 12:40 AM
If you would like to check reviews for the CE version of this game, please click here!

Hope this helps and happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 24, 12 6:51 AM
I am not quite sure why this game (at least in the CE version) got such raving reviews. I found the graphics to be quite pretty, but the game was very slow and not real clear as to what to do or where to go next. I was playing in the easy mode. There was no map I could find and the "journal" seemed to be no help at all. Mini games, the two I came across, seemed quite tedious. I encountered no HOS in the time I played (which was not long).

Got really bored really fast and didn't last very long in the demo. Had to immediately turn off the voice over...how annoying and so many cut scenes. At least you could skip over the cut scenes. I did not feel the game went smoothly at all.

Another story about a professor who gets lost and a daughter who goes on a search for him. As far as I went, I can only give this a 2 out of 5. Not even a buy on a holiday special for me.

Edited on 11/24/2012 at 6:55:03 AM PST

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Nov 24, 12 7:38 AM
Not a review per se, but wanted to quickly mention that I really enjoyed the CE demo. The story may not have been completely original and yet it was set in an distinctive environment, which was so bright and brilliantly colorful I couldn't help but enjoy it. Hey, I'm a dark & eerie fan but a little sunshine now and then is a good thing too.

It wasn't hard to play, definitely a light adventure, but I found the demo absorbing and relaxing. I don't know the differences between the CE and SE, nor what exclusive bonus material was included in the CE. I very rarely buy CEs (budget being a major consideration in my situation) but I've been waiting for the SE to come out and how nice that it can be purchased at a sale price! To be honest I'm not expecting anything amazing or intricate when it comes to the storyline, but I do expect a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon. And I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 24, 12 10:48 AM
I can’t say the plot is 100% tied up in this SE and the bonus in the CE wasn’t vital to the story. Although the bonus plot didn’t follow any main characters from the main story and followed a minor character there was a vital part of the background of the plot, actually the lynchpin of the whole story that happened in the bonus

. But when you finish the SE you aren’t left hanging and that part is tied up ready for the next game in the sequel/series which is why I am recommending it. So they may incorporate the very short part of the bonus plot into the opening scene of the next game or they may just keep this part of the plot for future bonus play, either way if they do that SE players won’t feel like they are missing anything. I’m only going into so much detail as I hope the next game they either leave it completely out or tell you what happened.
spoiler *you finally see her father and part of his story*

Boomzap just gets better, this it seems will be their next series. I have never really been a fan of hand drawn graphics although boomzap does it very well. Here I’m glad to see that they have sharpened their pencils and brought some colour to the graphics. This makes a huge difference in HOS as they are sharp and easily recognisable what an item should and nothing is faded or washed out looking like some other DEVs do.

I loved the story - a botanist your father, finds portals to other worlds and you go and try and find him. It gives the plot originality as it does concentrate on plants and the HOS as well as puzzles are actually part of the game!

Let’s get the two negative things for me out of the way, there is no transporter map and they do what they’ve done in the past and made this game a sequel, there is no finish. I don’t like sequels.

Again boomzap makes all new chapters and you don’t ever go backwards and revisit old areas. I lOVE when that happens and it also cuts down on the time of backtracking so it’s not bad at all!

Don’t select ‘hard’ which is the hardest of 3 choices of gameplay unless you are very confident as you can’t change once you start (and I do wish you could). You don’t get skip or hint buttons and you don’t get info button on puzzles but you do get some black bar tips on them.

There is a journal with a to do list, a non interactive map and some fun ‘encyclopaedia’ on other world plants. You also get a botanical kit (when "i" appears you can do a puzzle in it)

to be continued

Edited on 11/25/2012 at 12:38:50 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 24, 12 10:49 AM
continued

If you love puzzles, not so much the HOS or just want HOS variety boomzap is your DEV.

16 HOS –
Hidden object scenes (see below what I class as a hos)

I never say this but where do I start in saying why I loved them? No junkpile and only one very cluttered scene. This not only makes them lovely to look at but also I always find non junkpile way harder. Graphics, really clear and sharp, no tiny items. Even though there was no random click penalty on hard (thanks!) I didn’t use it as I wanted to take my time on them, that’s a first! They also never repeated them – so rare but again shows they are not lazy. All but one list HOS were the highest interaction you can have.

9 list
Find items from a narrative 2 (love this)
2 pictures of item you have to find in scene
Reverse (put item back in scene)
Find x amount
Coloured pics at bottom and you find and colour it in the drawing
Numbers may be out by a couple but I do try my best

41 PUZZLES
(due to not having skip button it was hard to count – roughly)

If you do back out of them they will reset (did this once). Thankfully boomzap has listened and actually made more hard puzzles as so many games they give us so many puzzles but are so very easy. Overall it was a great variety mostly about easy to medium. I felt the objectives in all of them were clearer than in the last awakening game.

It was the perfect hardness for me – hard enough as to not be bored by them but easy enough to be relaxing although a lot of them took me a while (perfect). A lot of them were standard fare but I liked how they were done, a couple were unique. Graphics were lovely and sharp and clear.

I did find this game way easier than the last awakening, as it was clearer where to go thus the 3/5 out of hardness rating.

Official in game time –
Main game 5hrs 30 min (hard mode)

edit - I forgot to change my hardness grade on puzzles as the CE had the couple of hard/took a while puzzles in it. So while there are a couple of super easy puzzles in the SE, the SE is more easy to medium hardness re puzzles for a HOPA (averaging out.)

Edited on 11/25/2012 at 12:35:42 PM PST

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Nov 24, 12 11:02 AM
Review based on SE version one hour trial: You have to look at everything in order to accomplish the goals which are listed in the journal. If you are new to this type of game, use the easiest mode with the tutorial. I like that there are not too many HO scenes; some require multiple steps. The mini games are good, somewhat different, some even challenge my old brain. There were quite a few in the trial but I do like them so no complaint on that issue. It is more of an adventure game which is my favorite. Don't make your decision on just a few minutes of play -- do the whole hour demo to give it a fair chance.

I read the reviews for the CE version, wondering if we will miss anything exciting by buying the SE. For instance, is the story continued in the Bonus Chapter?

I know I will buy one or the other, most likely the SE.

djoneal
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by djoneal on Nov 24, 12 1:02 PM
Yawn!

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Nov 24, 12 3:44 PM
I bought the CE and truly enjoyed it. It is evident there will be a sequel. You won't be missing anything of the main story in the SE. Others have described the mechanics of this game. I have had so much fun with the games from this developer. I know I will buy the sequel when it comes. I do suggest you give it a try. It's been more than a month since it was released. It might be time for me to give it a replay--something I don't often do with HOPAS. With the sale this weekend, I think this is a bargain.

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Nov 25, 12 2:31 PM
I like this game mainly because I am a slow player and like to take my time and relax while playing.
Colours are nice and bright and I found the storyline although not new interesting. Got a kick out of Eddy the hoursefly (or whatever it was).
I am not a great reviewer but I know what I like and I like this game.Maybe an age thing?

[Post New]by srikanthseo on Nov 25, 12 8:20 PM

Edited on 11/26/2012 at 3:13:10 AM PST

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Nov 28, 12 6:05 AM
I really liked this game and of course knew that it was the same people who did the Awakening series. It took me 5 hours and 15 minutes and 15 seconds to complete.
There were a couple of puzzles my partner had to do for me but all in all it was great!
Good color, good puzzles, good graphics. I'm glad I purchased this game.
Happy gaming everyone!

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Nov 29, 12 1:59 PM
gran bel gioco,soprattutto per la grafica accattivante,molto colorato e molto divertente.difficoltà medio-facile...ho giocato con piacere ...consiglio l'acquisto...

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 11, 12 4:11 AM
A typical BoomZap game - top quality, beautiful art, excellent story, thorough quality control, lots of puzzles, light on hidden objects, and good voice acting, I especially loved Bhama Roget, the voice of Ellie and Dana Knightstone and possibly, although not listed in credits, the Fairy Queen in the first Awakening game. I hope BoomZap keeps using her, because her voice is enchanting. Plus this was science fiction (my favorite) with some real science thrown in.

I hope the developer gets rid of the slow SKIP button. Why can't the easiest level have skip available immediately? I play these games more than once. If I didn't enjoy a puzzle the first time around, I don't want to sit for minutes being unable to play a game I paid for. Also, how about a skip button on hidden object scenes as well as puzzles? This would apply to all HOPA games, but was especially needed in this one. I have played this game three times and have yet to actually see one of the moving hidden objects in the contaminated water scene. I just spent about twenty minutes clicking all over the screen until it registered all objects as found. Since it was considered a hidden object scene instead of a puzzle, there was no way to skip it and move on. Even despite this HUGE ANNOYANCE, the game was good enough that I upgraded to the Collector's Edition.

It's faults are shared by many other games. It's pluses are shared by few.

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by lucyloket on Dec 11, 12 12:05 PM
Apparently I played this for 3.5hrs - it certainly didn't feel that long and I'm still not sure what I actually achieved!
I feel as though I arrived in this strange world, visited a village, freed my boyfriend and went through a portal and that was it
The artwork was pretty nice, the collectible bugs were tricky to find and some of the tasks were intriguing but I can't help feeling that I must have missed something - very odd and not very fulfilling. Shame.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

Lots of Effort Put Into Making This Game, I Think

[Post New]by Yaelle on Dec 13, 12 10:42 PM
This game is excellent! I think I am nearing the very end & I have to say I love how Botanica includes so many puzzles.

I cant stress enough how appreciative I am when developers come out with something thats not just the same old same old & worst of all, a quickie. This game is none of that, its great!! (I wont go on & on & on about that, just read any of my other reviews over the past year or two lol)

I cant think of a single negative thing to say about Botanica: Into the Unknown.

Bugs me that someone says he/she only played part of the demo & then proceeded to bash the game.

The inclusion of lots of puzzles made me feel like this was NOT just another game thrown out there for the sake of a quick buck (to be followed by 3000 other games, rather than spending time & effort on making one or two great games. Wish more companies who develop games would use this playbook!

Edit: January 13th: I played this game for over 8 hours! Do you know how happy that makes me?? You cant imagine. I think an hour of that was my son tinkering around with it though but still....
Thank you Boomzap. For not throwing out a dang 2 hour piece of old whatever like everyone else does. Thanksssss. I am soooo glad I came across this game. Gonna go look to see whats up with the next installment.

Edited on 01/05/2013 at 5:40:36 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 17, 13 6:11 AM
we give this game, 2 out of 5 stars.--------------doug & lisa

GAME COMPLETED TWICE

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 10, 13 7:55 AM
GAME COMPLETED TWICE

Beautiful Indeed

Story: You are Dr. Ellie Wright, too curious for your own good. You accidentally create a portal and step through it into a beautiful but unknown planet. Luckily you are not the first from Earth to stumble into this world, so you are not entirely alone. On the down side, the locals around here are not all helpful, gorgeous and amazing creatures of the jungle. Queen Kassandra has ordered all outlanders caught and locked up.

Developer: Boomzap
Release Date: Nov 2012
Extras: Botanical Kit, PC Tablet

*Phew* I am finally finished. I feel I’ve gone a round with a Heavy Weight Puzzle Champion. We’re talking hard puzzles and loads of them, instructions sometimes sketchy, with a minimum of HOs. There are even puzzles here that don’t have a skip option. *gasp* ! Why is it that so many of the truly beautiful games are puzzle adventures, and not HO games at all?

If you’re one of the 1000s of HO fans who like their games to be adventure but are not wild about puzzles, then this is a game that seems designed specifically to drive you mad.

But I had to own it. A thing of such beauty, there can be no doubting it. The alien flora and fauna are enough to make me want to emigrate, and if the technical quality was a bit shoddy in parts... Why am I nitpicking? Enjoy...

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Apr 24, 13 3:43 PM
I just completed an absolutely beautiful game and very much enjoyed it. I had to use a little grey matter on puzzles and music was unobtrusive (kept it on but low).
For me personally, I liked the variety of gameplay and did not allow myself to get frustrated, just a shoulder shrug and take a break for a cup of coffee Really loved the bright and clear colors and graphics

All in all I agree with the positive reviews and if a sequel comes out I will buy it! Plus I will give it out of 5 because I simply enjoyed it so much.

Go to: