bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for Building the Great Wall of China

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 27, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Building the Great Wall of China? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Building the Great Wall of China page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Building the Great Wall of China

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 27, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

[Post New]by Tennesseekidd on Nov 27, 12 12:47 AM
I love it and I hate it. Its time and it don't give you enough time to do nothing. I can't get pass level 4 because of it being timed.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 27, 12 12:51 AM
Morning, all...

Well, what a shame. This TM game comes only in timed mode, and you have to replay the level if you don't make it past the timer.

Edited to change the above statement: The developers have now worked hard for 2 days and given us a new version of this game, which allows us to continue the game after the timer has ran out.

On top of that, there is this very irritating and quite loud sound that starts long before you reach each star on the timer, which tells you that your time runs out (you get to hear it 3 times for the 3 stars). Very annoying sound.

Edited to change the above statement: The developers have also taken off that dreadful sound that appears whenever you lose one of the stars - at least it's no longer there in relaxed mode.

I would have loved to buy this game, but because I can't continue to play the game after the timer has finished, I won't. And it doesn't matter how generous the timer is, just having to listen to the every quickening sounds of the timer when you get near the next star drives me round the bend.

Also, you can't click ahead, and even have to wait until the little guy is back in his house before clicking on something that needs to be taken care of.

--- --- ---

I liked the graphics, and you can choose to use a custom or system cursor. Also, this game comes in widescreen. But, alas, the negative outweigh the positive for me.

--- --- ---

ETA: Although I still can't click ahead, it was the least of my worries. Once the developer brought out a new version of this game, I went ahead and purchased it.

Edited on 12/01/2012 at 3:03:38 AM PST

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Nov 27, 12 1:18 AM
I didn't find the timer too hard and made it to level 7 - didn't realise that you can't continue if you don't get it done in time but made 3 stars each time.

But...if you don't like 'clicky-clicky' things as fast as possible then you might give this a miss - although you can skip the part of the level - but that is enough for this to be a no buy for me - as soon as the game has one of these things I save my money.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 27, 12 1:25 AM
I love this game! But... I'm not going to buy it.

No untimed mode and you can't continue if you run out of stars (3 per level) you have to restart. The beginning levels are super easy (although also easy to not pass if you get caught up in the trap of "doing everything" instead of focusing on the tasks needed to pass the level) but they get harder each time. That WOULD be a good thing except that since you have to replay the level if you run out of stars it will get old quickly.

Graphics are nice, premise is nice... building the great wall of China... I'm DYING to buy this game and I don't want to stop playing... but that timer is a deal breaker.

It also doesn't fill widescreen... oh it PRETENDS to fill it by decorating the side bars but that's not the same thing.

PLEASE LISTEN DEVS... look at your review so far... no buy no buy no buy all because you didn't program a relaxed mode or at least allow us to continue if we run out of time. You really CAN please everyone... just give us the option and bang your sales double... the timer crowd will buy and the relaxed crowd will buy.

Shame because it's a lovely game.

As is 2 stars. With the addition of an untimed mode 3 stars. With a few tweaks (allow us to plan ahead by clicking ahead and don't force our guys to run home in between tasks) and this is easily a 4 star game.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Nov 27, 12 1:26 AM
Graphics: Good

Story: The concept is different building the Great Wall.

Made it to 7 also, but I don't like timed games. and then having to replay the level over and over if you don't get it. It's not fun it's nerve racking. Sorry devs, no sale here. I too wish the devs would listen and not put a timer in. Why do have to always race against a clock instead of just enjoying a game. Come on devs, is that too much to ask?

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 1:30:05 AM PST

JammyKat
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by JammyKat on Nov 27, 12 1:58 AM
First the good:

Interesting theme. I love building the Great Wall! The graphics are nice. I like gathering the artifacts. The graphics are colorful and bright. I really like the little characters, too. This would be a definite buy for me except...

Now the bad:

I hate to sound like a copycat, but I agree with everything Valdy and the others say about the time. I HATE the clicky thing on the countdown, and I hate that you have to replay the level if you don't finish in the allotted time. Devs, either give us a relaxed mode, or let us continue to play after the timer runs out. And please, please, get rid of that annoying sound as the timer counts down!

Thanks for all the thought that went into this game. You could elevate it from a good game to a GREAT game, if you would make those couple of changes. then watch the fishies flock to the BUY button!

eta: I wouldn't mind being able to queue up tasks in advance. That's a nice feature that allows you a little more grace on the timer. Not a necessity, but a really nice feature that many of us like.

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 2:36:04 AM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Nov 27, 12 2:23 AM
Good morning everyone WEEEEEE - DOGGIES ! I'm in hammer heaven ! I thought for sure my hammer was gonna die from rust since I've been back from Viking land but I see the building calvary has rode in and saved my trusty hammer and crooked nails. I'll just run down my check list here and make sure I have everything I need to finish this sweet little job. almost rusted hammer check, nails check, hard hat double check, and my trusty dragon for fast transportation check and check.

This is a very nice little building game that is similar to all the others. Your building the great wall of China. Graphics are gorgeous the storyline is cute your building for love now who could refuse that. This is a new developer to me and I must say if this is their first game they did a great job and I've already purchased this little building gem.

You gather your resources build your buildings and have little extra quest on some levels such as gathering statues and mask. There is a timer and no relaxed mode so if you don't get the gold the first time around you have to replay the level and you cannot click ahead the timer really doesn't bother me but I know there are some that don't like it. Watch out for the dragons flying over they scare your little worker dudes and you have to click on the dragon until he is gone. I finished the first section and there was a matching mini game at the end.

So far I've built the worker's hut, farm, saw mill, stone mill, and iron mill and of course the wall is continued on each level. You have to watch out for storms as well the lighting will strike and burn your buildings down and you need to repair them. So far I'm really enjoying the game it's fun and the graphics are really pretty and I love the little worker dudes I still haven't figured out what I like most about these building games is it the fun of building and completing the task or watching the little worker dudes run about they are all so cute. There are power up's for you to get on some levels one is for stopping time and the other for speed so far they are the only ones that I know about.

Give the demo a try it's definitely worth it. Thank you dev's and great job on this game keep it up and give us more and thank you Big Fish for saving my hammer from the rust monster. Have fun everybody !

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 2:36:48 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 27, 12 3:37 AM
I love this type of game but I am NOT going to buy it because I have to agree with Valdy, Gamergirl, Sassielassie, JammyKat, Bertiepuppy and Tennesseekid in that the negatives outweigh the positives.

DEVS ...

A lot of the people who buy their games here are people with health problems of one sort or another and they play games in order to relax and forget about pain and real life for a short time and some of them are just plain incapable of the fast clicking required to kill the dragons.

If you sincerely want us to buy your games, and this game in particular, you need to make a patch which either incorporates either

a) a completely relaxed mode

or

b) one which allows us to advance to the next level if we don't finish in the set time providing that the levels goals have been reached and also has a skip button for the shooting the dragons so no fast clicking is required anywhere in the game.

Just doing the above would guarantee one sale to me, the annoying countdown sound is not such a deal breaker because I simply turned my speakers off completely .

As an aside, I found it a bit strange that the title pages etc filled my widescreen whereas the actual game didn't but I must admit the dragon borders were much more acceptable than seeing black bars so thank you for them.

I thought the graphics were great and the hero and princess were very well drawn and I am now

waiting and hoping for an updated version with $6.99 clutched tightly in crossed fins.

Cherb

ETA ... Thank you for listening devs, now the only thing clutched tightly in my fin is my mouse while I am playing .

Edited on 12/01/2012 at 9:19:43 AM PST

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Nov 27, 12 3:37 AM
Oh Dear, as just about everyone has said....I will not be buying this game because of the lack of a relaxed mode. I just played 6 levels and found it fairly enjoyable but certainly not worth the money when one is rushed. I found the graphics not as crisp and clear as similar games, kind of mushy looking but I could have overlooked that were there no timer. Sorry developers, you should have learned by now.

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on Nov 27, 12 3:52 AM
Along with everyone else's comment on the timed mode, another really unpleasant thing is that at the end of the level, you can't click through the summary results. Does anyone else find this annoying? I HATE having to sit there while those stars burst up. It's an unnecessary delay. Just let us click to the results and be done with it. I won't buy this game because of that.

ebec
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

NO RELAXED MODE - NO SALE!

[Post New]by ebec on Nov 27, 12 4:00 AM
I'm with everyone else! I will never understand why on earth the devs of these games don't get it! One would think that the people who put all of the hard work in would want to realize as much profit as possible. And as one fishy said earlier, if they would simply include a relaxed mode - they would cover all the bases and the sales would double. AND, all the gamers would be happy!!

wxman77477
Clownfish
Clownfish
557 Posts

[Post New]by wxman77477 on Nov 27, 12 5:18 AM
Thank goodness a time management game. I do not like HOGs, but it is the great majority of BF games.

A good TM game, not great.

I have made it thru Level 20, and the time to get 3 Stars not difficult at all. Now, I am sure the final 20 levels will be much harder.

Thanks for the TM game. When is BF going to offer Island Tribe 4?

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 5:18:51 AM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 27, 12 5:28 AM
does anyone know who the dev is.....there was a builder a while back,, that you couldnt continue if you ran out of time.....there was a new build in just a few hours....also dont like that you have no idea what is needed for achievements

[Post New]by musicimprovedme on Nov 27, 12 6:13 AM
Is this one of those games where you have to clear obstacles in the road in order to get to the goodies...where the guy does one thing and runs all the way back home in between? Such as My Kingdom For a Princess?

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 27, 12 6:16 AM
musicimprovedme wrote:Is this one of those games where you have to clear obstacles in the road in order to get to the goodies...where the guy does one thing and runs all the way back home in between? Such as My Kingdom For a Princess?

yes very much like that..

I contacted the dev "Nordcurrent" as many will not even trail if thats not a option, also no chaining tasks, and there are achievements,,, but absolutly no idea how you get them,,,no text either before or after you get one...

other then that...it looks like it could be a real great game with a few minor tweaks..as is tho...even tho it got tgt status, it wont be a huge seller,,,

of course i bought it as i am a hopeless builder addict......

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Nov 27, 12 6:18 AM
I am AMAZED at the work that went into this gem. The graphics are superb! They've captured so much detail, even to the swaying of the trees.

Though it does lack a Relaxed or Zen option, I can understand the strategy and puzzle of having a Timed mode... after all it is a Time-Management game. Otherwise, there would be no challenge.

I did not understand the point of the "Shoot" button with the dragon. There's no way you can exit this screen without having to wear out your mouse by frantically clicking. Even if you do defeat him, he will return again to wreck havoc. And the clock is still ticking even in this screen.

They are boasting that there are 40 levels in this game. But in reality there are only 36 levels with 4 mini-games after you build each fort. The mini-game for the first section was a bland memory matching card game.

I was able to complete all nine levels in the first section with three stars, though I had to replay a couple of them to achieve it.

And like Kong Baotu, I had faith that I could get there with a little perseverance.

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 4:02:29 PM PST

SierraNV
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,208 Posts

[Post New]by SierraNV on Nov 27, 12 6:53 AM
I am so disappointed as I have been out of gaming mode for awhile and I thought this building game was perfect to draw me back in, but it is not. Timed mode does not allow me to move forward. The challenge for me is the strategy involved, not the time involved.

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Nov 27, 12 6:53 AM

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 5:00:58 AM PST

Go to: