bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for Unfinished Tales: Illicit Love

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 28, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Unfinished Tales: Illicit Love? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Unfinished Tales: Illicit Love page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 12:36:35 AM PST

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Unfinished Tales: Illicit Love

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 28, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 28, 12 12:47 AM
Morning, all...

This Review may contain some Spoilers, so... beware.

This game by Elephant Games has 6 chapters.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore.

There is a choice of Custom and System cursor.

There is Voice-over.

There is Widescreen.

The MAP, which can also be used to jump, is at the left. When you hover over the different areas, it tells you what you need to do.

The HINT button, which tells you exactly what you have to do outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), is at the right, and in the form of a mirror.

Puzzles can be skipped.

The HOS are partly interactive.

Both SKIP and HINT buttons only take about 30 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

There are lots of Achievements. One of them is to find over 50 Flutterbys, I mean Butterflies. (It's possible they only appear in the CE).

When you leave the game and come back, and then click on "Play", you can either continue your game or start again from the beginning. No fuss, no new profile, just start again. However, you will not have to start looking again for the butterflies you've already collected (unless, of course, you start again under a new profile).

--- --- ---

I have to admit that about halfway or three-quarter through the game I got bored with it. This game wasn't quite as exciting as previous games from this developer.
But the bonus game, which was a nice surprise, was a breath of fresh air, for which I am thankful.

There are quite a lot of different areas you have to visit, so I was thankful for the ability to jump.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 28, 12 1:00 AM
morning valdy and everyone else (I agree with you valdy and sorry no butterflies or any other extras in SE)

The SE main plot is 100% tied up in the main game as usual with elephant (despite the humour from the narrator the two people in the final scene aren’t in the bonus.)

As elephant is just continually giving us great games, I’m going to be harder on this SE in relation to their other games. I gave the CE 5 stars due to all the extras, and length of bonus – longest bonus I’ve played from them and I actually much preferred the plot of the bonus to the main game. It was unusual and it took a part of a plot that I didn’t even think was unfinished or think about and explored that. So while I recommend the SE game, I actually recommend the CE more and that’s a first from me, giving a CE 5 stars but a SE 4 stars.

If you liked royal detectives you should try this and it has the same length in the main game than royal detectives. It's not one of their mega long games, which is partly due to not many HOS.

I loved this game and yet it’s so different from the live actors and a lot of games that elephants have done which I love and are my favourite.
I’m glad they decide to keep being different and this game is different, a fairy tale and you are Thumbelina fighting against the witch who has put a spell on your prince. The graphics are different also but thankfully they have kept it super sharp and in the HOS and are gorgeous. Changing the seasons was pure fun.

WARNING - phobia alert - there is a scene of a HUGE realistic snake in it which I had to close my eyes for but you do get a heads up beforehand.

I do wish they would do a pure adventure game (not instead of their HOPAs but on top of) and here with only 10 HOS in the whole game and not that many puzzles (compared with boomzap games) adventure lovers will love this as it is very much adventure driven and feels like an adventure game, not even an adventure/puzzle game.

As usual, you have a transporter map (and map tips if you play casual) there are three settings which you can change during the game. There is black bar tips on hardest.

Despite that I did feel throughout there were a lot of new areas to explore like a good adventure game should have.

TBC

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 28, 12 1:01 AM
continued

But that’s where it slightly fell apart for me, at the end where you have to backtrack to old areas felt a little like they were padding the game out and I was ready for it to end. This could also be due to the plot and the old style cutscenes so it depends on your taste, but unusual for them I did find the demo and beginning to be better than the end.

While this is a normal length HOPA this is the second recent new game (royal detectives) that was under 5 hrs for me and this is in comparison with surface and grim tales which are longer. Also the puzzles are quite easy, the same as royal detectives and elephant used to be known for slightly harder puzzles than other developers and I’m a bit worried that they will be going down that route.

10 HOS

Usual – never repeat their HOS and there is no random click penalty on them. They are mostly very cluttered scenes or junk piles and I would love it if they could do non junk pile.

In a couple of their recent games their HOS have not been that clear but thankfully it’s back to their normal standard of super crisp lines, really crystal clear items and no tiny items. Even though a lot are quite big, I found it hard to find some so it’s not easy. All list type and they were mostly medium interactive only a couple mild.

17 or 18 PUZZLES (I went back to triple check nos and got another one)

I do wish some were harder but most were medium and some very easy although I enjoyed them. The old school puzzles seemed to be at the beginning (simon says, move one lot of ‘buttons’ to the other side) but even some of the old ones were done well like the dummy.

To see the differences between the CE and the SE this is what was in the CE that IS NOT in the SE: whited out

CE EXTRAS

*Achievements
Collectables – butterflies (at least 50)
4 music
8 wallpaper
8 concept art
SG
Bonus chapter (1hr 30mins)

TIME – 4hrs 45mins (or same as royal detectives but they had more HOS so this is longer in adventure) And if you can't afford a CE then don't worry you are still getting a very good game.

And for reading this long review you get a prize - go give yourself a treat some chocolate is called for.

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 1:06:59 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 30, 12 2:23 PM

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 3:54:55 AM PST

josie41132
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by josie41132 on Dec 2, 12 3:16 PM
I don't know about this game..I downloaded and couldn't get thru the trial period. The game just didn't excite me enough to even want to finish the trial. IMO the storyline and gameplay was boring. Just not my cup of tea

[Post New]by andreacole70 on Dec 2, 12 9:28 PM
I played the SE version. The game was quite sweet, without the dark scary story line in many other games. There were just a few HOG with the majority of the games as puzzles. Quite frankly, many of the puzzles didn't make sense. It wasn't that they were hard; I don't think. The directions were not clear for me. After several trials, I still couldn't figure out what I needed to do. Thankfully, the skip (as well as the hint button) really was helpful. I like stories and this looked like a game that was going to provide that. However, in the SE there didn't seem to be any explanation as to why this Raven Queen was connected with the prince. How did certain villagers survive, while others were turned to stone. No idea. Left me hangin'. I really hate it when that happens. Maybe the information was in the CE only. Again, frustrating. They left room at the end for a sequel.

The game was okay. Could have been great with better editing on the story.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Dec 3, 12 7:58 AM
Lovely scenery to look at, and appropriately beautiful music as well. In the demo the puzzles are not difficult, and the HO scenes are clear and easy. Three levels of play, as is the usual with elephant. The story is different from the gloom and doom, and the dark and rainy. It does kind of remind me a little of "Awakening." This is on my buy list, but possibly as a CE since the achievements are only in the CE. And I do love the challenge of getting as many achievements as I can.

Pachyderms and Rabbits used to be my favorite animals, but I think the trunked mammals are outrunning the bunnies.

To all who buy, enjoy!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 31, 12 8:04 AM
nice game, good graphics, awful music

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Feb 2, 13 9:23 PM
Gorgeous, well done game! Graphics were beautiful, long gameplay, challenging puzzles, engaging hidden object scenes. Overall, I give this game a 9 out of 10....more like this one, please!!!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Feb 6, 13 12:19 PM
this is a GREAT game, yet it’s so different from HOS game plots. we give it a 4.5 out 5 stars.--------------doug & lisa

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Feb 19, 13 6:27 PM
A surprisingly fun game. Especially for a snowy or rainy day. Very entertaining. Graphics were beautiful. All kinds of weird figures. Keeps one totally riveted after awhile when you get the hang of the game. It is a good idea to have the walk through handy. I did get lost but there is a map. Definitely worth a credit or price of SE.

LoisMac
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by LoisMac on Mar 3, 13 4:35 PM
This is such a beautiful game. But why do I find it so boring as I near the end?

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Apr 4, 13 6:50 PM
I played this game all the way though, to me it was fun and relaxing. There is a lot of back and forth in this game, which I think some people wouldn't like. The hints reload fast, and the game can be skipped which I like. The art is really good. Great game to play for relaxation.

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Sep 5, 13 10:08 PM
Since this was featured in one of the sales today, I thought I'd give it a try. Others here have given terrific, thorough reviews so I will spare going over it again but will just agree that it is a pretty game, decent graphics but I quit the demo about half way through because I was just bored.

The music was incredibly irritating, so I turned it off pretty quickly. The sound track was one of the most annoying I've encountered; in one HO scene there was a bird that chirped a few times literally every 3 seconds (yes I counted) and before that I spent some time solving a creative "seasons" puzzle only to flee through it as fast as I could because in one of the seasons there was a nonstop whistling bird that was like Chinese Water Torture. That was it, the sounds got turned off. So what's the point of playing a slient game?

Well, we have the shrieking Bad Witch :yawn: and the Gee Whiz Golly Gee Oh My Is That A Lock And I Need A Key? heroine. Which we know from the endless black bar comments. I switched out of "casual" mode out of pure defense, hoping the intermediate level would spare me this.

But in that mode you don't get the Jump Map info that shows you where your tasks are. You just get the map and all the areas you have been at. There is a LOT of running around, so, back to Casual I went.

Trying to hang in there then, I just got bored. There were a lot of interruptions with cut scenes, clicking on 6 things in a room and not being able to do anything except get interrupted again. The flow was bad, IMHO.

The thing that made me quit was that frickin' inventory that didn't lock, but popped up when you put your cursor over it, even if it was to grope around for the place to go "back" where you came from. The instant you took your cursor away it would start to sink back down. It made me car sick.

I passed. Even on a sale, even with PCC codes I could have spent. This could have been great if it had been a bit more polished, perhaps but from all the reviews I am in the minority

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 14, 14 8:43 PM
There is a wedding to take place. A flock of ravens comes with an evil Raven Queen and not only stops the wedding but takes over the entire town, turning the soliders and townspeople to stone. As the story progresses the Raven Queen reveals that the Prince (who was to be the groom in the wedding she ruined) had promised to marry her. She has come to collect her groom.

The soundtrack is very well done. The artwork is superb. The voice overs leave a lot to be desired with the supposed "good" bride sounding like a whining, nagging harpie and a magic mirror sounding like the bumbling Dr. Smith from the Space Family Robinson. But the rest of the game is so well done that did not detract me.

The hidden object games are junkpiles with lists, some interactivity. The mini games are fun, not the most challening, but a lot of fun.

To assist you there is the Magic Mirror and an interactive map.

This is a cute little game, a little less challening than some might like, that I only stopped playing long enough to buy.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 15, 14 1:21 PM
josie41132 wrote:I don't know about this game..I downloaded and couldn't get thru the trial period. The game just didn't excite me enough to even want to finish the trial. IMO the storyline and gameplay was boring. Just not my cup of tea
jadedblonde wrote:...agree that it is a pretty game, decent graphics but I quit the demo about half way through because I was just bored.

The music was incredibly irritating... The sound track was one of the most annoying I've encountered...

...we have the shrieking Bad Witch (yawn) and the Gee Whiz Golly Gee Oh My Is That A Lock And I Need A Key? heroine. Which we know from the endless black bar comments. I switched out of "casual" mode out of pure defense, hoping the intermediate level would spare me this. But in that mode you don't get the Jump Map info that shows you where your tasks are...
andreacole70 wrote:There were just a few HOGs with the majority of the games as puzzles. Quite frankly, many of the puzzles didn't make sense. It wasn't that they were hard...The directions were not clear for me. After several trials, I still couldn't figure out what I needed to do.

In addition to the above detractions, which I totally agree with, this game is pure pink cotton candy. In spite of that, I might have made it through the entire demo if I hadn't been so everlastingly bored. Not a buy for me, even at $2.99 or as a BOGO.

Edited on 04/15/2014 at 7:13:40 PM PST

Go to: