bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

Post any Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Nov 28, 12 3:19 PM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the Forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team.

The Forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly.

If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

*Please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by renujean2 on Nov 30, 12 1:36 AM
I'm fairly certain this is a technical issue.

I don't actually know which chapter this is, but the progress shows 80+ percent.

When I'm inside the tunnel and after the video of the reanimated skeleton and after clicking on the wall which reveals the map from someone's office into an area marked "X" through an air vent, the game stops.

It doesn't black out or anything, I just can't click anything because the cursor has disappeared.

So pretty much I'm just stuck there indefinitely.

I have exited and restarted the game a couple of times but I'm still unable to click on anything after the map appears.

Please help me, I'm sooooo close to the ending.

Thank you

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by Bellaboo34 on Nov 30, 12 1:52 AM

I have the exact same problem as the original poster as well as a few dozen other people regarding the Coroners Office Corkboard. Just the cork board causes my cursor to disappear and I have to control alt delete to task manager outta the game. Glad to know I am not the only one. I went through and did ALL and every fix I could possibly find for this and NO luck. No one else has been able to fix it either so it tells me that this is a tech issue with BFG and MCF and has nothing to do with everyone's machines, that would be way too much of coincidence. Fix please so I can progress. I mean, I did pay 15.00 with tax for this game and it seems like BS to not be able to play it.

shaz50 wrote:I have tried everything told to me by the tech guys to get my cursor back when trying to get the items off the cork board update direct X change resloutions etc change profile and try again so dod all of that and still cursor disappears am really fed up that we have brought a game waited a whole year for and nothing but clitches and yet they do not seem to want to do anything about it such a shame as seems they paid far to much for the actress did a huge hype for the release of it and disappointment all round as the game will not play and without doing what we need to the game wont move on.

Come onguys get the problems resolved so that we who have been with you for a long time and spent a fortune on games wont lose faith in you.I have been checking everyday just in case a solution has been found and yes i have re installed the game 5 times and yes tried playing using a different profile and still same problem
i also turned off the HD turned it back on still no luck
So frustrating.

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Nov 30, 12 4:16 AM
I have had such a problem getting this game downloaded.

The first time I tried to download, my computer ran all night and part of the next day. When I got home from work to check on it, it was locked into the "activating" mode. I finally deleted all of the Shadow Lake Collector's files and started all over again.

I started the second download at 9:34 at night. At 12:30, it was only at 60%. That was 3 hours later! I let it run all night and checked on it at 7:00 am. It was at 99%. It did finally finish downloading.

I'm quite nervous about playing this game. It seems that many gamers are running into problems at the end of the game and are not able to finish.

luvmigame
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by luvmigame on Nov 30, 12 6:20 AM
I have uninstalled and reinstalled both of the updates. I am still unable to play because the right side of the play field is off the screen.

bfgIzara
Flounder
Flounder
2,151 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIzara on Nov 30, 12 11:39 AM
Hey there Fishies,

Just swimming by to lend a Fin!

renujean2: That definitely does sound like a technical issue, specifically a freeze! Uninstalling and reinstalling the game could help to get past that one spot. (Just click on the blue text for instructions.)

Bellaboo34: Thanks for trying out those different troubleshooting steps already. Since that didn't help please go ahead and contact Tech Support as they'll be able to help with some additional options for you.

LadyJane50: Those download issues can happen for different reasons. Please go ahead and check the
Problems Downloading or Installation Failed
help article for some helpful tips!

luvmigame: Great that you've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game! Next it may help to press the 'Auto' button on your monitor, as that can help calibrate where the game is displayed.

If there are still further issues with the game please be sure to contact Customer Support. They have the resources and tools to work with you one-on-one to help resolve those issues.

To reach them, please click on the green to the right of the page and then select the Contact Us link to the bottom left or if you're a Big Fish Game Club member you can connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

I hope this is helpful!

bfgIzara

Edited on 11/30/2012 at 11:39:46 AM PST

[Post New]by ufon11 on Nov 30, 12 2:40 PM
Hi,
I'm sorry my english is not good.I figured out the problem!
Built-in graphics card, no problem.
Takes an external graphics card problem,black screen and problem resolution.

[Post New]by themouse020 on Dec 1, 12 9:05 AM
Video issues still not resolved. Black bars on all four sides, small image in middle of widescreen laptop monitor. No help from customer support - not a "settings" issue. Is this still being looked at, or should I give up and ask for a refund?

[Post New]by Jkloosterman on Dec 1, 12 1:45 PM
I'm having a problem with the spirit drawing not going in where we put the test tubes...It keeps zooming out to where the Test tubes are and not letting the spirit drawing in.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 1, 12 5:23 PM
Jkloosterman wrote:I'm having a problem with the spirit drawing not going in where we put the test tubes...It keeps zooming out to where the Test tubes are and not letting the spirit drawing in.
have you replaced all the test tubes? I'm not sure what you mean by zooming out. Is that after you replaced the test tubes, if so, you should be able to place the drawing when zoomed out.

[Post New]by SchoCnslr on Dec 1, 12 5:57 PM
I think it's funny that everyone keeps getting told to contact customer support and they will help you. I have tried contacting them twice about my cursor disappearing in the coroner's office and NO ONE has replied. I sure did get a survey though where BF was wanting to know how satisfied I was. I am not satisfied. NO ONE replied to me. I contacted them twice. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, made sure everything is up to date...etc. and I cannot get past the coroner's office. So, I guess I am out the money for this game as no one at BF cares enough to contact me about my problem.

I have also noticed that I am not the only one with the coroner office problem. It seems to me that it is not my computer, but a programming problem with the game. When will this get fixed so I can get my money's worth? I am very disappointed. I have only bought games through BF in the past, and this has about made me change my mind and go elsewhere.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 1, 12 11:24 PM
SchoCnslr wrote:I think it's funny that everyone keeps getting told to contact customer support and they will help you. I have tried contacting them twice about my cursor disappearing in the coroner's office and NO ONE has replied. <snip>

Welcome to the forums, SchoCnslr!!
When you get the auto response after sending in a report, it says someone will get back with you within 72 hours. I find that to be the case every time I have contacted CS. Also, the office is usually closed on weekends. I'm sure someone will get back to you as soon as they can.

ETA: have you seen this post in the Chapter 7 thread? Maybe it will help:
FlatSlewFoot wrote:
kiamon wrote:
blues811 wrote:I already tried few times- with the same result. everytime i do the close-up on the post board in the coroner's office- image freezes. any updates to fix the bug? or any suggestions how to get over this part ? Thanks

Same here. I found what my problem was and maybe this will help. I had turned off high def in the options box hoping to improve performance. Turned it back on and that post board was suddenly usable.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Dec 2, 12 3:47 AM
OK, so I found the relic a bit too soon, it seems. Now the picture that is supposed to match a section in the basement won't match. I tried the advice of one of your staff I found on another thread and tried to make it match a bit to the left to no avail. I've put that darned picture all around, up and down, exactly on each spot, centered on the brick sticking out of the pile, centered on the stones, centered on the column, etc etc at least 35 times and it won't match. So I'm stuck.
I hope you can solve this for future players, because I'm done. This game will just have to be like the movie "Falling Down" for me. I watched the painful first 3/4 of that film just to have a storm take out the power. Never managed to get up the stomach to watch it again, so I'll just have to never know how it ended. This game ditto. I just can't do it again. It would be torture and not fun.

[Post New]by ty1220 on Dec 2, 12 8:52 AM
I am having the same problem as chickadee. The spirit drawing that matches the baseball card album on the boy's bed refuses to match. I have tried umpteen times, and with moving it all around slightly to no avail. I also agree that, for this game I am not going to waste any more time on it. I found this game to be a huge dissapointment after the previous MCF games. I understand that you can never make everyone happy, and that this game was a move in a different direction. I respect that, I sure just don't care for this game.

[Post New]by SchoCnslr on Dec 2, 12 9:43 AM
WilJul wrote:
SchoCnslr wrote:I think it's funny that everyone keeps getting told to contact customer support and they will help you. I have tried contacting them twice about my cursor disappearing in the coroner's office and NO ONE has replied. <snip>

Welcome to the forums, SchoCnslr!!
When you get the auto response after sending in a report, it says someone will get back with you within 72 hours. I find that to be the case every time I have contacted CS. Also, the office is usually closed on weekends. I'm sure someone will get back to you as soon as they can.

ETA: have you seen this post in the Chapter 7 thread? Maybe it will help:

I have looked at that forum and tried that fix and it didn't work. I have waited over a week for a response from CM. I put in another email yesterday to see if I get a response this time. Thanks for the help WilJul.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Dec 2, 12 2:49 PM
ty1220 wrote:I am having the same problem as chickadee. The spirit drawing that matches the baseball card album on the boy's bed refuses to match. I have tried umpteen times, and with moving it all around slightly to no avail. I also agree that, for this game I am not going to waste any more time on it. I found this game to be a huge dissapointment after the previous MCF games. I understand that you can never make everyone happy, and that this game was a move in a different direction. I respect that, I sure just don't care for this game.

Sometimes you have to put something BACK into the scene before the spirit picture matches. For the baseball card collection, did you put back the missing card? For the test tubes in the rack of the coroner's office, did you put back the test tubes in the proper order, as well as the radio? For the sandbox, you need to build all 3 sandcastles, put on the flag, and the army man. Those are the ones I can think of right now.

purpleeye
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by purpleeye on Dec 2, 12 5:36 PM
I've seen messages from other users re: MCF: Shadow Lake CE repeatedly crashing after ~10 minutes of play on Mac OS X. ( As in play ~10 min, game crashes. Restart game, play ~10 min, game crashes... and so on)

Has there been any news re: a fix to this issue? I'll keep searching the forums; but the technical issues threads for games are not managed in manner conducive to learning about existing issues and/or resolutions (particularly for Mac users).

For the record, I have not downloaded the 28-Nov build of the game. I downloaded & installed the 22-Nov build that did not resolve the problem. I figure I'll wait until there's a fix before downloading a 1.5 GB game for 3rd time.

Admins: please feel free to not respond with "try reinstalling", "contact technical support" or "send in a Dr Felix report" message.

----
Early 2011 13" MBP / Intel HD 4000 Graphics / OS X 10.8.2
No Shockwave or flash installed outside the plugin for Google Chrome
Only play as non-admin user

[Post New]by jzelaya88 on Dec 2, 12 7:03 PM
Does anyone know how to fix the issue with the cursor when you click on the map where the skeleton is.

I have reinstalled the game and installed flash and direct X multiple times but the cursor dissappears when I click on the wall next to the skeleton.

[Post New]by LadyKestrel on Dec 2, 12 8:17 PM
Just for your information:
I had a glitch on my iMac (10.6.9) with Shadow Lake near the beginning of the game, but it wasn't a game stopper. The electric wire puzzle wouldn't activate, even though I had found and placed all the colored wires. After trying everything and even consulting a walkthrough, I just used the skip button to move on.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Dec 2, 12 9:42 PM
The problem I have with the picture not matching is caused by me digging up something in the scene and changing the way the scene "looks", so the picture will not match and I can't "undig" the thing up. I was supposed to match the card first, but I got a bit ahead of the plot somehow. Same thing happened with people using an item on three spots out of order, with the item disappearing after the second use instead of the third, leaving them stuck. That issue was resolved with a patch to fix it, but my issue seems to not have been patched yet.
I really don't dislike this game, I just can't face the thought that I'd get 85% through it again to just have the same issue again. It's like another game I had where clicking on the garage door would freeze it (and my computer) every time, and driver upgrades and reinstalls and new builds and cache clearing and Dr. Felix couldn't fix it, so I gave up on that one, too. Chestnut Asylum, I think it was. I seem to have bad luck with games featuring old crumbling public institutions.

Go to: