bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Of The Ancients: Curse of the Black Water

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 30, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery Of The Ancients: Curse of the Black Water ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mystery Of The Ancients: Curse of the Black Water page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Of The Ancients: Curse of the Black Water

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 30, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgTokoro

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 30, 12 12:47 AM
Morning, all...

This Review may contain some Spoilers, so beware.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Adventure, Hardcore.

There is a choice of Custom and System cursor.

There is automatic Widescreen.

There is Voice-over.

There are Achievements.

In the CE version, there are 39 Turtles to be found. I don't know whether you will get them in the SE as well.

Your Diary is at the left. The time played is displayed in the top left-hand corner of the diary when open.

The HINT button is at the right and only takes about 20 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Also at the right is your MAP. On the "General Map" it shows you where you are, and where you need to do things.

Click on the green cross (that's your position), and you get to a more detailed map, which also shows you where you are, where actions need to be taken, where the turtles can be found, AND you can jump from this part of the map.

Also, when you hover over each of the yellow exclamation marks (actions), you get to see a picture of each place.

The HOS are partly interactive.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button only takes about 30 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

All I can say is... WOW !! This was a fantastic game !! I loved, loved LOVED everything about it. What graphics, what animations, what gameplay !!

It took me 4 hours to play the main game (skipping quite a few puzzles), and it took me a good hour to play the bonus game.

And WOW !! again. What a Bonus game. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this one for anything. Well... almost anything. It's one of the best Bonus games I have ever played.

And I loved, loved, LOVED the 3 HOS in the bonus game. So different from the ones in the main game. So much FUN !! So wonderfully done !!

Oh... and I read in the forum for the CE version that several peeps didn't get all 39 turtles, but only found 38...

I found all 39 turtles. There were 39 different locations, and each one had a turtle.

I will end my rambling with stating that this is one of the best games I have ever played. Am sooooo glad I bought the CE.

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Nov 30, 12 1:01 AM
Hey Fishies!

I'm just swimming by to let you know that you can find the reviews for the Collector's Edition of Mystery Of The Ancients: Curse of the Black Water over here!

Happy Gaming!

bfgTokoro

Nagster
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Nagster on Nov 30, 12 5:23 AM
Overall, a good game but what's so frustrating with all of these types of games is constantly having to search for a specific "tool" three areas ahead to smash a window, reach an object, or saw through a chain back three areas when there were items I'd already collected that would do the job just fine. If only that crowbar I used to open the crate wasn't suddenly missing from my inventory now that I need something to break through a wall.

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Nov 30, 12 5:33 AM
Or how about a gate that you could climb over but, no no, you have to find the key.

Nagster
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Nagster on Nov 30, 12 6:48 AM
Jixio wrote:Or how about a gate that you could climb over but, no no, you have to find the key.

Exactly. Specific to this game: I come across a downspout clogged with leaves. I say to myself, "Self, even though time is of the essence with a gigantic tentacled monster chasing someone into a building, I need to locate a [Mystery Item] to remove this clog. This 10 inch knife I already have in my possession simply won't do."

MacGyver would be so disappointed.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Nov 30, 12 7:38 AM
Ah... well it makes you think outside the box I guess. I just finished the demo and quite enjoyed it. Lots of action, good graphics and the HOG scenes are challenging but not impossible. Just might buy myself an early Christmas present with this one.

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
4,062 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Nov 30, 12 8:18 AM
A good game to spend a credit on. No turtles to find in the Standard Edition, but this is still a buy. Graphics are clear, story is interesting, and the HOS are clear with objects easy enough to find, but still a little challenge.
It's good to see a different story with this one. Try it for yourselves, but I think you will find it is worth it. Seems to be good length, as well.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 30, 12 10:11 AM
Wow...just completed the demo and this is a definate BUY! Great graphics and the story is unique and interesting. A jump map is always a selling point and the HOS are interactive. As far as I can tell the HINT refreshes quickly. The mini games/puzzles can be a challenge but the SKIP refreshes quickly also. I have skipped some of these. All in all this is a great game and I look forward to the purchase! I give a 5 out of 5 for this one. Good to see some good games coming from BF....its been a bit of a dry spell.

additional comment: Just finished the entire game, the above review still stands, however there are a lot of mini games and they do get a little tedious, but then I am not a mini game lover so the skip is a blessing. The only thing I found disappointing was the ending...wow, just like that, but this game was a total joy!

Edited on 12/03/2012 at 6:57:17 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 30, 12 2:25 PM

Edited on 12/03/2012 at 10:32:58 AM PST

Zork1
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Zork1 on Nov 30, 12 6:12 PM
I'm sorry - I really wanted to buy this to justify buying yesterday's Christmas ce to end the month with a bang, but.........I'm tired of suddenly not having an item in my inventory which I just used that would help me out now. I am tired of running around to look for something else to solve the problem that shouldn't be a problem. I am old and cranky and didn't even look at the map.
On the plus side, the hint filled up quickly. Wide screen worked. Game worked.
Glad so many enjoyed this one. I must pass.

A1mom
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by A1mom on Dec 1, 12 10:02 PM
This is one of the worst games I've played here and I'm sorry I bought it. i had no idea what to do next as there were no clues to follow. I had to keep going back to the walk-thru and that got very old after a while. I hoped after playing the demo that it would get clearer,but it did not. I've played it for over 2 hours and am going to delete it now. If you enjoy working without any clues, this may be the game for you. I feel it's supposed to be a GAME, not a test of wills.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Dec 2, 12 5:17 AM
I passed on the CE version but I am buying this time. The graphics, storyline and puzzles fit me to a T. The Mystery of the Ancients series are very good.

Rinkatplay
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by Rinkatplay on Dec 3, 12 5:40 PM
I am enjoying this game. Graphics are great and story line is not to bad either. You have to travel from one area to another alot but I do not mind this cause it makes you think and remember. I give this game a thumbs up.

cherzy13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by cherzy13 on Dec 10, 12 5:17 PM
I PLAYED THE GAME THREE TIMES AND ABSOLUTELY LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!! I ONLY NEEDED THE HELP ONCE, AND FOUND IT CHALLENGING, EVEN THE GAMES. GREAT, GREAT GAME.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 24, 12 4:43 AM
this is a very good HOS game, love finding turtles.-------------doug & lisa

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Jan 1, 13 11:45 AM
gioco bello,ho acquistato la SE e mi sono divertita molto,ma ci sono pochi aiuti e la reperibilità degli obbiettivi e poco chiara,nonostante la mappa.nel complesso è un gioco divertente per le vacanze di natale...

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 9, 13 12:26 AM
I finished the CE which was worth it (see that review for bonus info etc)

I gave the first mystery of the ancients 2 stars as it was a bit below average, here it's very different and is a vast improvement.

This is a very good HOPA. It’s more adventure with some puzzles (22 puzzles and only 11 HOS) which is my type of game.

The plot was good but a bit abrupt at the end. I wished it was fleshed out a bit more throughout the game, but after playing bonus, none of the main characters were in the bonus so that aspect doesn’t change. I just thought it was a good plot so would have liked more of it.

It isn’t in the demo but there is dark ‘spirit’ in this game, so it has dark elements to it but not as dark as the first game in this series. I'd have preferred it if it didn't have that as thought the other side of the the plot - the professors was more interesting and would have loved that side of it explored more.

The graphics are good (although that kind isn’t my personal favourite).

This game has a lot of variety of areas which is great and it also has a very good transporter map with hints in it. There are three modes of play which is explained but note hardcore has no skip or hint button, so if you just don’t want sparkles you can choose “advanced” the middle option as you can’t change your option once you start.

22 PUZZLES
(roughly I think I’m out by a couple, I class a puzzle if it has a skip button)
Thank you devs! A wide variety of hardness but mostly in the medium and medium/hard for a HOPA. LOVED the puzzles. There is also a wide variety of types of puzzles, from logical to arcade and even one hard (for me) timed puzzle. I loved the puzzles, it made the game for me. There were some old ones but it was mixed in with some types that aren’t that common. I thought it was a perfect hardness, easy enough not to be frustrated but not so easy as to become boring. I played advanced for a change instead of hardcore (as I like the option of the skip or hint button even if I rarely use it in any games) and with that timed puzzle was glad I did but did manage to do it.

11 HOS

Another reason why I enjoyed this game so much – no repeating of any scenes! YES – thank you! Due to the type of game graphics I thought they were clear enough and not that many junk pile, mostly cluttered. Interactive, all list type.

TIME 4HRS 45MINS
(no hints except map hints and no skipping. I was on one puzzle for AGES.)

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Jan 9, 13 2:27 PM
the recurring black screen is a great feature of the curse of the black water.
sometimes the cursor disappeared over some objects, but when i went off the scene and returned it went fine.
now i wonder whether the half coin i saw in the chest under the ground was the one missing in the heart of just pacified monster or shall i search further?
there are so many technical flaws in this game that i do not remember any like this, and i have quite a good collection already.

Go to: