bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Mysteries of the Mind: Coma

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 1, 12 12:44 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mysteries of the Mind: Coma? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mysteries of the Mind: Coma page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mysteries of the Mind: Coma

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 1, 12 12:45 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 1, 12 12:48 AM
If you would like to check reviews for the CE version of this game, please click here!

Hope this helps and happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 1, 12 12:53 AM
Morning, all...

This game has 3 chapters. But don't let the "only" 3 chapters fool you. I have played games with 15 chapters - all very short - and played games with 3 or 4 chapters - all very long. So you can't really tell how long a game is, just going by the amount of chapters.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is no map. However, when you use the HINT button outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), you get to see a picture of where you should go next. Click on it, and you will be transported to this place.

Your Diary (Memories) is at the left.

Your HINT button is at the right.

The HOS are interactive, and appear frequently.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons only take about 25 seconds to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

I liked the graphics, but gameplay was pretty much straight forward.

I also liked the fact that this game comes in 3 different parts (3 dreams), which I prefer to having to deal with just one long story in a game.

However, after finishing the game (bought the CE), all I could think of was: "What a tedious game this was". The first story was OK, the second one was so-so, and the third one was just terrible.

The best part about the whole game was the bonus game, and that is saying something.

There was one HOS after another, some of them had better graphics than others, and gameplay on the whole was just tiresome.

Also, this game appears to be full of glitches. The cursor kept changing to another cursor, and in the HOS, when I had to combine objects and the cursor turned into a gear, it wouldn't change back to an arrow. I had to leave the HOS or just go all the way down to the bottom of the screen for the cursor to change back. This happened quite frequently. *sigh*

Happy gaming, everyone.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Dec 1, 12 4:54 AM
This game was the equivalent of a book that you force yourself to finish reading and then throw across the room in disgust for being a disappointing and annoying waste of time. The graphics were nice though.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Dec 1, 12 5:00 AM

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 2:52:25 AM PST

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Dec 1, 12 6:19 AM
I bought this game as a CE and liked it. The story is different and, like Valdy, I found the three "chapter" layout to be more interesting. Unlike other reviewers I didn't find it tedious.... I found it intriguing.

Slight spoiler:
The premise is that you (the player) have been injured in an accident. As the doctors are trying to save you, you experience "flashback" experiences where you can affect your past and resolve issues.

That is such a different storyline - no vampires, no helpful dragons/kittens/candles, no evil doctors/creatures/aliens/demons trying to take over the world. Now, don't get me wrong, I like those games too, but this was an interesting change of pace and you should at least give it a try.

Afterall, the demo is free - then you can decide for yourself!

mehebert
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by mehebert on Dec 1, 12 8:21 AM
I played the full demo and it would be a good game if the hint button worked all the time. I like the full screen, however when I need to use a walkthrough I like to be able to minimize the screen which you can't do. You have to close it off to go to the walkthrough, which is really ok, however it takes to long went you click back into the game. Not a buy for me either. Too many glitches. Story line was ok as was the music.

ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by ogrprincs on Dec 1, 12 7:20 PM
It isn't a bad game. It just depends on you experience.Newer players may find it a little bit challanging,but seasoned players may find it too easy. I do think it is worth the buy for newbies. Seasoned players may like it as a nice game to play on a rainy day. Just take your time and enjoy it,rather than looking for what isn't there.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Dec 2, 12 4:27 PM
I played the full demo. I found it to be nothing special. A lot of HO scenes. It is an easy game, more suitable for a beginner. I always knew what to do next whenever I found an item. The music was relaxing, but did not seem to be appropriate for the theme of the game.

SLIGHT SPOILER:
If my mother looked and acted like that, I don't think I would want to reconcile with her. And why in the world would the daughter in a coma have to go out and give her mother stuff, when the mother admitted to blaming the daughter for her husband's death?

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Just So-So

[Post New]by mrssharon on Dec 2, 12 8:09 PM
Yikes, another vehicle crash. Done, done, and done some more.

I felt the story line was going to be okay (not a knock-your-socks-off kind of game, but okay) but it didn't really move very fast. Once the mother's ghost appeared to the daughter, why didn't they just have a heart-to-heart and clear the air? The demo time ended before I could learn why the mother blamed the daughter, so unless there was a good reason it seemed improbable that the estrangement even happened.

I did like the hint system, although when I got to the word puzzle in the living room, there was something tucked away nearby and it took me a few tries to figure out why it kept sending me back to the word puzzle.

The graphics were nice, the home looked like a pleasant place to live. No gray on gray, there were nice colors. The hidden object scenes were interactive, but not over the top exciting. The music was what I would call soothing (like funeral home music) and didn't really fit the mood of the game. It should have been a little more disturbed and off-key. It did almost lull me to sleep. It would be floating along but then abruptly stop and then start again for no apparent reason. Maybe the loop just ended and had to reset?

All in all, I think the game was a kinder, gentler play than some we've had lately, so that was a plus.

However, I can't really recommend the game because it didn't have that wow factor some of us seem to be looking for right now. But if you're into soft lulling music and not-too-fast action, you may enjoy it.

[Post New]by kagomechina on Dec 7, 12 4:37 AM
This game made me feel sad and I just couldnt continue. And the music didnt make it any better

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 14, 13 8:36 AM
this is a good game, it is all about dreams. it has alot of different puzzles. 3 out of 5 stars.-----------doug & lisa

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 17, 13 10:04 PM
This is such a STRANGE game. I recently lost my mother and I know about unfinished business, but I'm not sure I want to explore such a powerfully emotional subject in a "game" . But it is interesting, I'll give it that. Overall the game play is good and the graphics are clear, HOS are a little interactive and not too cluttered, but I'll have to think about whether to buy.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Feb 22, 13 8:47 PM
this game was just ok for me

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 4, 13 12:08 AM
Also, this game appears to be full of glitches. The cursor kept changing to another cursor, and in the HOS, when I had to combine objects and the cursor turned into a gear, it wouldn't change back to an arrow. I had to leave the HOS or just go all the way down to the bottom of the screen for the cursor to change back. This happened quite frequently. *sigh*

The huge, clunky, triangular pointer, the gears on the pointer during HOS, and the rotating arrow when backing out of a scene were so annoying, I didn't want to deal with it through a whole game.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on May 4, 13 8:00 PM
First of all, the pointer did not want to behave. If you reached for something it changed to a grabbing hand, and then stayed that way until I exited the scene and returned to the scene. Got to be a bother. Story line was okay, but nothing of the wow factor. It's just didn't feel right for her to be estranged from her mother and come to find out, it was the daughter that put herself in that position. Just like the second person, her grandfather, same deal...here she is thinking everyone hates her, so she has this major guilt complex...I was thinking therapy, not all this go back in time and try to make things right. I don't know, maybe Dr. Blackmore has an opening for her...

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 7:12 AM
Well Designed Psycho-Drama
BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

My recollection of playing this game the first time was disappointment, but now I can’t understand why. It is a well-conceived, professionally executed HOPA.

It is not going to knock your socks off; it is after all a stand-alone SE. And the GRAPHICS could have been BETTER. But they are BEAUTIFULLY DRAWN, even if the clarity is not perfect.

The SOUNDTRACK is EXCELLENT. VOs are very well done. The MUSIC is BEAUTIFUL. The AMBIENT SOUNDS very appropriate.

The STORY is a HEART WARMING one. You are in a coma, and hanging onto life by a thread. A BRIGHT LIGHT and mysterious guide offer you the chance to REDEEM yourself so that you may REVIVE. This task consists of REVISITING FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS and UNFINISHED BUSINESS. It is surprisingly interesting.

GAMEPLAY is STANDARD HOPA FARE. HOS are by INTERACTIVE LIST, and there are many of them. Most of the PUZZLES were REASONABLY EASY, though a few totally defeated me. Knowing what to do next was at times perplexing, but I always got there eventually.

You have a JOURNAL for recording CLUES & MEMORIES, and HINT shows you WHERE you should be and you have the OPTION to JUMP directly there.

All up, a NICE SE for a cold winter’s day, with a deeper look at what makes us tick than the usual offerings.

I recommend this game!

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Jan 15, 14 8:48 PM
This game has a very in-depth story line which I like. There is a lot to do despite having three chapters in the game. Graphics are great along with the voices. I like the story which plays top factor in any game I play. The puzzles can be skipped, not all of them are easy. Overall, a good game.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 1, 14 3:41 PM
Review based on completed game:

It's OK. There is the usual car crash and then three chapters. I liked the first one although I have to say it was never clear exactly what was going on in terms of guilt. The second chapter was pure drudgery. I hated it. The third chapter was much better than the second but not nearly as good as the first and didn't make much sense. Really the whole game didn't make much sense.

Music: Totally forgettable, the same thing over and over and over, nothing catchy or emotional. Thinking back it seems the entire score is about twenty notes.

Game Play: The cursor is wonky. Sometimes it would change into a hand or gear or something and not change back until I backed out of the scene and went back. When I accidentally picked up an item from my inventory I was not allowed to just put it back. The journal is helpful. There is no map and I think this game needed a map. Often when I left a scene the arrow was pointing back into the scene. That's picky but it bugged me when it kept happening. In one HOS it asks for a can. I found four - one was crushed and right there in plain view. Of course it was not the right one. Neither were the next two I found. Then I finally found the fourth and that was the right one. This is a pet peeve of mine. To have FOUR cans is unacceptable. That should have been caught.

I think it's OK for a freebie or a DD. I wouldn't recommend it for full price, not when there are so many good games out there. I'm disappointed because the devs of this game normally have very good games. I'm not sure how this one slipped through. The concept (sans the crash) is great and this could have been a fantastic game and CE material. But somebody dropped the ball and nobody else picked it up and this is the result.

Edited on 09/01/2014 at 3:44:32 PM PST

Go to: