bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet Thief Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 2, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet Thief Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet Thief Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet Thief Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Dec 2, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

just saying

[Post New]by tookat on Dec 2, 12 12:51 AM
ok...not a review, not yet.
Played the demo for fifteen minutes and it seems a decent game, if not a perfect one, but I am SO tired of dark and dreary looking games.
Set them in the day, or don't make the night..or the games quite so gloomy.
ok...sorry for rant.
getting off soap box now.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 2, 12 12:56 AM
Played 30 minutes, Casual

- 2 modes, casual, advanced

- Integrated SG which shows 4 chapter + bonus play

- You can only access the extras after completing the game

- Notebook (Valdy ), you collect pages with information throughout the game, they go straight into your notebook.

- No map

- Voice overs

- Hint refill in 12 seconds, casual and is useful outside H0

- Skip button

- H0, you don't interact, clear but items are sometimes really small and not too easy to find

- Usual mini games, nothing very new

- Good graphics

A puppet master is stealing the souls of your children. Will you be able to solve the case ? Shame this game appears after Nutcracker, it looks like a good game and I've liked it enough to buy. But then I can hardly ever resist a CE

Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by 0161 on Dec 2, 12 1:00 AM

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 2:26:03 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 2, 12 1:07 AM
Morning all...

This game has 4 chapters plus the Bonus chapter.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Customed (which allows you to choose between a fast or slow Hint and Skip fill).

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

The HINT button, in form of a pocket watch, is at the left.

Your JOURNAL is at the right.

Also at the right is your SG (strategy guide). It stays open where you last left it open. When looking at the screenshots, you can't zoom into them, as you usually can with SGs. Click on the black cross in the top right-hand corner of the SG to get out of it.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are not interactive, and you visit each one at least twice. They are frequent.

Puzzles can be skipped.

Both Hint and Skip buttons fill within 25-30 seconds in Casual mode.
However, when you use the Hint button outside of the HOS, it refills within 2 or 3 seconds.

The directional arrows don't tell you which way it is pointing to (no names attached). So you walk around pretty much blind in that respect. Also, there is no Map, and I don't get the game in widescreen (yes, I am sure some of you do, but I don't with this game).

--- --- ---

All in all, nice graphics, but pretty basic and unexciting gameplay so far. I had hoped for a little more in a CE (achievements, morphing objects, map, widescreen, able to zoom into the SG's screenshots, interactive HOS, to name just some extras I am used to seeing in CEs.) No wonder the full version is only barely 400MB.

This is a very nice game, but I will wait for the SE to come out. It just didn't throw me off my chair with excitement. Also, a little too much talk from non-moving characters.

ETA: Bonjour Poutoule...

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 4:19:17 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 2, 12 1:47 AM
This week has shown us both ends of the spectrum----from Thursday's completely excellent offering to this, which, as a CE, is lame as can be. For several reasons:

-Talk about a "me too!" game. Hasn't ers beaten the "puppet" theme to complete weariness? So another game involving puppet themes is totally unoriginal.
-None of the extras are available for viewing----which, I notice, has been complained about repeatedly in these forums. Do these devs not listen?
-No widescreen is even offered, a must for CEs now. (Yes, I know it is there for some, but for many it is not.) Not listening again. (And lack of effort.)
-The HOS offer no interaction at all, which you now find in the better CEs.
-Puzzles are a throwback to the ones we saw years ago, and way too easy.
-The HOS are played twice at least which, to me, is a poor attempt to stretch out the game and indicates very poor game planning. When the HOS is completed----leave it and present a new scene for the next search.
-The SG is very poorly done with no zoom on the screenshots.
-The HOS are eye tests. The objects to find are very small, not entirely shown, drawn on other things in the scene, or partially shown behind other objects. To me, the fun of HOS are the clever concealment of the things to find that are really right in front of you so as to promote the "a-ha" moment, not things to give you eye strain. And many of the objects to find are unoriginal, super small items. (4 matches, 3 cherries, 4 leafs, thimble, etc.) These type HOS were in vogue in 2008, not today.

So there is no way this very lame offering measures up to CE quality, and I would have to pass it as a SE, as well. Very poorly done. Another dev that hasn't moved forward, but instead believes their games don't need to change and improve at all. Too bad. Just take another look at Thursday's game, then look at this one. The comparison is shocking.

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Dec 2, 12 1:49 AM
More of a HOG than adventure which I didn't like.
As other fishies have already reviewed the game, I would just add that, for a CE it wasn't up to standard and not worth the price, it would be ok as a SE game.

Just average in all departments and quite dreary, dark and sombre.

I look forward to a bright happy game with great graphics.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 2, 12 2:21 AM
This game is o.k. and would be a success a year or so ago. But enough with all the dark storylines. After the "Nutcracker" we can finally see a wounderful great game with a happy storyline with all the bells and whistles.

I can't take anymore dark storylines. I've had enough with games like this and it feels like I'm playing the same game over and over again. For newer players...this is a good game.

But for myself and others who have had enough with all the dark evil storylines...this is a no for me. For those who love only evil storylines...this game is another in a long list for you! Buy it and enjoy it!

Please developers provide more games with brighter storylines.

I can't stand anymore evil/steal the soul/car crash/dark asylum/kidnapped a loved one/huanted house game again!! I can't take it anymore!! I've spent alot of money and I only need to buy one of these types of games and play it over and over again...and I would save alot of .

I'm a true lover of games! With more than 800 and counting. The "Nutcracker" proved you can make a game that's so beautiful and entertaining with out all the evil storylines.

The graphics are nice in this game and for everyone who still loves evil storylines...this game is for you! Enjoy! Just not for me anymore!

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 2:25:17 AM PST

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Dec 2, 12 2:53 AM
Just want to add to the numbers of dissapointed players. I could write a long review, but I would only be repeating what others have already said.

I especially agree with LovetoMissLisa. Can't we at least get a little more of a balance of these dark/depressing games and games such as the delightful Nutcracker?

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 2, 12 3:01 AM
This game really strettttttched itself to fit my widescreen (even more than some other games do) and the bfg logo looked awful but when I unticked the full screen option all I had left was a tiny little window in the middle of the screen which would have caused eyestrain to use.

As you know once the game has loaded I always check the options and extras first and, even before trying any of the game, I had decided not to buy the CE because just saying "Complete the main game to unlock the bonus content" tells me absolutely nothing and being it makes me think that the even the devs don't think that the extras are worth the extra money.

Well the game itself didn't start off well either because it froze in the middle of the very first cut scene when the mob guy was talking but after going back in I was able to carry on to the end of the demo time with no further problems.

I know the devs have tried to match the graphics to the storyline but there was hardly any let up with the drearyness either inside the buildings or even the hidden object scenes although some minigames did have a little bit of colour in them. I used several hints in the HO scenes just to get through them quicker and also to save eating up a lot of demo time. I am not keen on visiting the same HO scene twice especially when the devs are asking for double the money for their game.

The thing I really really liked about this game was that you could
customise it to suit your individual requirements
and were given the choice of slow, fast or medium hint recharges and slow, long or no skips as well as being able to turn the tutorial and visual help off and I wish other devs would follow this one's lead.

Depending on the reviews of the completed game I may buy this as an SE purely so that the children can be rescued.

Cherb

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 2, 12 3:20 AM
I was waiting for this game. But when I played the demo I found it a little bit boring.
A big dissapointed for me!

The objects in the HOS are some tiny. And there are a lot of HOS in the game.

No buy for me as a CE, maybe the SE.

[Post New]by Meredith2010 on Dec 2, 12 5:15 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:This game is o.k. and would be a success a year or so ago. But enough with all the dark storylines. After the "Nutcracker" we can finally see a wounderful great game with a happy storyline with all the bells and whistles.

I can't take anymore dark storylines. I've had enough with games like this and it feels like I'm playing the same game over and over again. For newer players...this is a good game.

But for myself and others who have had enough with all the dark evil storylines...this is a no for me. For those who love only evil storylines...this game is another in a long list for you! Buy it and enjoy it!

Please developers provide more games with brighter storylines.

I can't stand anymore evil/steal the soul/car crash/dark asylum/kidnapped a loved one/huanted house game again!! I can't take it anymore!! I've spent alot of money and I only need to buy one of these types of games and play it over and over again...and I would save alot of .

I'm a true lover of games! With more than 800 and counting. The "Nutcracker" proved you can make a game that's so beautiful and entertaining with out all the evil storylines.

The graphics are nice in this game and for everyone who still loves evil storylines...this game is for you! Enjoy! Just not for me anymore!

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 2, 12 5:34 AM
I believe these are the devs that did the Lycan game last week. I didn't care for that one, but I like this one a lot better. I read the reviews and comments and went in preparing to dislike it, but I didn't. I am sick and tired of all these games being brown, grey, or blue, though. Can't we have just normal, regular coloring? I'm sick of people stealing souls, too. Can't we have just a normal, regular bad guy? I actually liked the HO scenes, the items were small, but the graphics were pretty sharp and I enjoyed finding the corner of a die, it was old school, but I liked it. I also like replaying the HO scenes a second time, I know I'm in the minority, but it makes it easier the second time around. I prefer them to be reused. In the demo it seems to be split fairly equally between HOs and puzzles, with the emphasis on inventory use. It played full screen for me, almost all games do. The videos and cursor ran smoothly, something I have trouble with on a lot of games, ERS in particular. Overall, I liked it, but I'm not in the market for a CE right now. If we have a BOGO before it comes out as a SE I will buy it, otherwise I will get the SE version.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 2, 12 6:25 AM
Another game from the Go GIIvers. This is such a dreadful game in comparison to Thursday's game. I believe that either Debbie Downer works for them or owns the company Geesh! From the logistics of the game, I think this may be older game from the dev. Again, we have the same darkness, hard to find objects in the HOG scenes, and depressing scenes. There is the lack of a map, which I feel is essential in the larger games. Last Thursday's game got me into the Christmas spirit. This game has the opposite effect. A pass for me. I am very tired of all the depressing games from this dev. As I wrote last time - lighten up. Your formula isn't working anymore. From werewolves to psychotic puppeteers - geesh! Your games are not "entertaining" to play. They are long, difficult and depressing, Go GIIVers. You might want to evaluate the success of Thursday's game and try to modify your games to be more like them Nuf said!

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 6:26:28 AM PST

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Dec 2, 12 6:37 AM
This bland title comes complete with a colorless palette, something I've come to expect from this developer.

Generic puzzles, copy-cat story-line, with mini-games that range from boring to frustrating. Hidden Object scenes that have absolutely no interactivity. When will this developer get with the times?

If you're looking for a dark and depressing theme for the holidays that will bore you to death... than this is just what the coroner ordered.

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 6:43:27 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Dec 2, 12 6:53 AM
For me this started out impressive Love getting custom options.

As far as the actual game I am undecided. Liked the storyline and the puzzles. The HOS were a bit different though. In my opinion that was not exactly a good thing. Very hard to see some items at all. It also irritates me a bit when the items aren't era correct. I don't believe that they had TV's and such in the 1800's

One thing I do know! This game really needs an interactive map. There is a lot of back and forth. That is a real negative for me without a map that allows you to jump scenes.

I may get this as an SE but just don't think it's good enough for the $14.00 CE price.

I might be a bit biased right now. I seem to have had my fill of this type of game for a while. It seems like they are all the same anymore. Really looking for a good timed new Match 3.
So try for yourself It could be right up your alley!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Dec 2, 12 6:55 AM
I have to agree with Meredith! Loved The Nutcracker! A lot of good happy fun!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Dec 2, 12 7:00 AM
Drab colors and my pet peeve...dark dark and did I say dark HO scenes....why even have a refill on the hint when you have to use it for so many items? I could have loved this game if it was brighter and not streeeeched out by double HO's and all that to and fro.....no map of course. And this is a CE???? I rarely buy CE's unless they are outstanding and this is not....I might buy the SE on a sale when I need to finish a game club card but that is about it.....

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Dec 2, 12 7:32 AM
Based on trial : You are sent by Brother's Grimm to find missing children from 100 years to present time. Storyline is another puppet story with a mad magician stealing children's souls and making them into puppets. The puppets age accordingly. You are to meet up with the Silver Magician but he is distraught over his daughter being stolen and so you must find her as well.

Visual effects are dark and gloomy and graphics are mostly ok. Please developers some nice light and bright games! Hidden Object Scenes (HOS) were dull in color and made it slightly more difficult to find items. This game has many many HOS - most are very easy to find items by simply clicking around with no penalty. Hints are plentiful on casual and you can set your own time limits as to length when hint or skip can be available in custom.

SG - shows 4 chapters plus bonus. No zoom makes it a bit harder to see but so far I haven't had to use it since game play flows easily. Game play Casual, advanced and custom.

Graphics are mediocre. Expect more of today's developers.

Could have used an interactive map! A lot of shoe leather used. Mini-games are not difficult.

Occult: Game based on magic; a few pentagrams pop up in background from time to time but so far nothing that objectionable to play game.

Not CE worthy - will probably buy when it comes on sale in SE.

Go to: