bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Phantasmat: Crucible Peak Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 6, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Phantasmat: Crucible Peak Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Phantasmat: Crucible Peak Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Phantasmat: Crucible Peak Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Dec 6, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 6, 12 1:08 AM
The opening of this game was unbelievable. The guy reminded me of the song "I will Survive". The bunny team did a superior job on this title. And he looks so cute in his Christmas attire

Story: People turning into ice in front of the main character. Interesting. The Iceman cometh!

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous. So much so, I had my heater off, looked at the graphics and put it back on.

Mini games: Fun and challenging.

Hint System: Not sure. I don't use in the Hidden Object scenes unless I absolutely need to. I look at the guide to see if I can see it there first. Even then I will still stare at the screen.

All in all superior job. This was an instant buy for me!

Edited on 12/06/2012 at 1:16:05 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 6, 12 1:11 AM
Played 25 minutes, casaual

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hard. You can change from one mode to another while playing.

- Integrated SG which only shows 2 chapters in the demo.

- Extras : screensavers, wallpapers, cut scenes, music. You can't access the bonus play in the demo

- You can lock up your inventory

- Voice overs

- On the bottom left you can see your tasks

- Hint is on the right. Not useful outside H0, only tells you the task you have to perform. It takes quite a while to refill, casual

- No note book

- No map

- Ho, you interact, clear and not very difficult, you can swap them for a M3

- Different mini games, not too difficult up to what I played

- Good graphics

You go for a ski trip in the Alps, it soon turns out to be a nightmare. This looks like a good, not over difficult game, I should definitely wait for the SE but did I ever resist a CE ?

Edited on 12/06/2012 at 1:16:28 AM PST

Cazzle18
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by Cazzle18 on Dec 6, 12 1:24 AM

Edited on 12/06/2012 at 1:31:40 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 6, 12 1:51 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hard.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor

There is a box for Widescreen. If it works for you, great.

There is voice-over.

The TASKS are at the left. Click on it, and it will tell you what you should be aiming for.

The Inventory can be locked so that it stays open. When unlocked, the whole bottom part, the inventory as well as the tasks and hint button become semi-invisible.

There is a Magnifying Glass at the right. When "activated", and while you have the Inventory locked, the objects in the inventoy are a little larger. Declick the Magnifying Glass, and the objects shrink a little.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive, and spread out nicely. Words in yellow need an extra step to find them.

If you get bored with the HOS, you can switch to a Match 3 game instead. Love the Wintry/Christmassy objects in them.

The Hint button, which is at the right, and tells you exactly what to do outside of the HOS, takes 1 minute to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The Skip button takes 2 minutes to fill in Casual mode.

The SG (strategy guide) only shows the first 2 chapters, and stays open where you last left it open. You can find it at the top left.

At the top right is the Menu button.

When you move your cursor over the top part where the SG and Menu are, that part becomes solid black. When you move away from it, it becomes semi-invisible.

The Extras incldue 5 HOS and 5 Puzzles to play. You can only play those you have already played in the game itself. Not sure if I am to assume that we only get 5 HOS and 5 mini games in the whole game.

--- --- ---

This is a wintry game, and I am a sucker for wintry/stormy/christmassy games, and I am in need of a decent HOG, and I will get an extra punch, and I actually like the game and gameplay, so I am off to buy this game.

Edited on 12/06/2012 at 5:30:10 AM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Dec 6, 12 1:52 AM
This is from the devs who brought us Phantasmat, a very good game. And this is following those wonderfully odd footsteps. Weird townsfolk, and flashbacks that build the background story. Cold breath from the characters mouths! Spooky, good stuff. A buy for me.

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Dec 6, 12 2:06 AM
No this is not from the developers who brought us Phantasmat. These are from the developers who bought them out.

Based on the demo I actually believe they did a pretty good job making this sequel. True this is based just on the demo time but I may have to purchase this CE and give this game a go. As mentioned before the graphics are brilliant,etc.

I was so nervous about this. Phantasmat's my all time favorite game. After completion, I may add more to my review.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 6, 12 2:18 AM
Well, well, so ERS has taken on the job of a sequel (or #2 in the series) of "Phantasmat", a truly great and memorable game that is still a "must play" for fans of HO games. So how did they do? Let's see.

Wisely, ERS has followed the format laid out in the first game very closely. The screen presentation is almost identical to the first in these ways:
-there is a clickable task button that outlines what needs to be done, and tells you what percentage of the game is completed.
-the strategy guide is at the top left, and nicely done.
-the hint button is identical to the one in the first game, and takes one minute to fill just like the first one (and even gives the time remaining to a hint, like the first game).
-you can seamlessly switch back and forth between HO and M3.
All of these similarities are, to me, a tribute to the quality and excellence of its predecessor.

The story is quite similar to the first game----starts dramatically with an avalanche, then stumbling on a nearly deserted resort/village, then the realization that much is amiss which all creates a good sense of urgency. You know where it's all going, but there is enough skillful presentation here that you just join in on the fun, and play on.

And, as usual with ERS, the graphics are beautiful.

The puzzles have been stepped up and are challenging and fun.

The voiceovers are good, and even the goofy guy that usually is there to somberly announce the name of the game has been given a rest----permanently, I hope.

There is a nice collection of bonus content, more than ERS has been giving lately.

And there is no working widescreen, which, for me, works in this case because the first one didn't have WS, either. (But still, ERS should strive to catch up to all the other devs that DO provide this.)

So, overall, the game is a nicely done homage to the first one while retaining its own sense of identity. And that makes it a success, and I recommend it. I've long known what ERS CAN do, and they have shown that here. It only takes a nice effort like this game to convince me that the talent and ability is still there, and I sincerely hope this game is a harbinger of things to come. Well done, rabbit! (Now work on that widescreen.)

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Dec 6, 12 3:04 AM
Good morning everyone Hillary Hillbilly here tired of the same old Christmas hoo-rah with the family you know the one I'm talking about where the family comes over and tells you that you should be doing this and you really don't need to do that. Well head on down to Hillbilly Hideaway for Christmas this year. We have the fresh snow and the best redneck accommodations money can buy. All of our campers come with hot and cold water, television with vcr's and a complete box set of The Dukes Of Hazzard. This year we've added a sports bar where you can come and sing your favorite Christmas Carols on the scaryoke machine and once Bubba and the boys get good and liquored up they go to shooting the guns and put on the prettiest fireworks show you have ever seen. Also granny is always in the kitchen fixing up her special recipe of chitlins and pickled pigs feet yum yum. We have sleigh riding for the little ones and every year Pa puts on his Santa suit and delivers all the presents unless he's had a little too much of his secret recipe then Bubba Jr. does it. If your lucky you might even catch a glimpse of that Bigfoot fella but don't be scared it's only Billy Bob and he's a little camera shy so be careful trying to get a picture of him he has been known to throw a fit. Yes siree it's never a dull moment here at Hillbilly Hideaway so pack your bags or give us a call at 1-800-Hillybilly Hideaway and have a rootin tootin redneck Christmas or you can play this game it's full of snow and more eye candy than you can fit in your stocking. YEE-HAW !

Well what can I say it's awesome ! ERS didn't disappoint this game is gorgeous in every way. The opening is simply awesome. The graphics are nothing but eye candy and the colors are so detailed. The hos are interactive or if you choose you can switch and do match 3. The music is very fitting for this type of game.

There is a task list off to the left and a magnifying glass to the right to enlarge things if you need to. The hint system works nicely it will tell you what you need to do instead of saying nothing more to do here. The voice overs are really nice. The game flows like water no lagging between scenes and no sticky cursor. The puzzles I came across in the demo were different and fun. ERS did a heck of a job with this one. Give the demo a try it's worth it. Thank you ERS you ROCK and job well done, and thank you Big Fish for another snowy adventure. Have fun everybody !

Edited on 12/06/2012 at 4:25:55 AM PST

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Dec 6, 12 6:10 AM
Original Phantasmat

This wannabe Phantasmat :

I don't recommend this game .

Edited on 12/06/2012 at 6:11:23 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 6, 12 6:56 AM
I haven't played much of the demo yet, but I had to pop in to say something already. It runs smoothly. All the rest of ERS games play jerky on my laptop (I couldn't stand to play more that 5 minutes of Shadow Wolf), this one is running smooth as can be. The video played correctly and the cursor works great! I will probably buy the SE when it comes out, I only buy CEs with locked up wallpapers when they are BOGO. I really dislike all the games with the bluish tint, I don't understand why we can't have green evergreen trees, a yellow sun, and beautiful colors

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 6, 12 7:56 AM
I have been playing 58% so far, and boy... what a game !! As cbtx said, the similarities from the first game are right there, and I am very much enjoying this game.

I don't even mind that the Hint button takes a minute to recharge in Casual mode, because I very rarely use it. And I very much enjoy the mini games as well, and they too are mostly doable for me.

SPOILER ALERT Go over with the cursor to see comment:

In the first game, your character will eventually be underwater, wearing an diving helmet. In this game, your character will at some point be wearing a ski mask, and you very much get the same realistic kind of feel when you wear it.

End of SPOILER ALERT

I very much recommend this game. As I said, I am now just over halfway through the game, and I am not even bored yet. Now that's a rare occasion with me.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Dec 6, 12 9:18 AM
This Phantasmat is a great game with very enjoyable gameplay. I am finding the story quite interesting and can't wait to discover more as I move further along.

The game opens automatically in widescreen and that is a plus for me. Although I am a huge ERS fan, I admit that I would really like to see maps included with their CE games. Lately I have been spoiled by the great games we have had that all seem to include jumpable maps.

As always, ERS graphics and art are wonderful and I enjoy their games because of this. IMHO, this is a very nice game that I am enjoying even more that the original Phantasmat.

Happy gaming fishies.

Oldgamer99
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Oldgamer99 on Dec 6, 12 9:57 AM
I'm really on the fence about this game. If memory serves me, this is actually the 3rd Phantasmat game, but the first from the bunny. I did enjoy the demo, and love love love spooky games anyway, but this developer has a history of giving us bonus games that were far from fulfilling (junkpiles, misspellings, incorrect or incomplete definitions of the objects in question, and short short short). It has almost been as if, after a great game, they let the 'B' team take over for the bonus game.

The wide screen option did not work for me, no matter how I checked the boxes. Anything but Full Screen gave me a little box in the middle of my huge monitor.

I won't go into the other mechanics of the game because others have done it so well. I did like it and am SO SO tempted.

Has anyone played the bonus game yet?

I just checked and my memory is NOT serving me. This is the second Phantasmat. I could have sworn there was another one from the original developer.

Edited on 12/06/2012 at 10:03:17 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 6, 12 10:15 AM
lackoo wrote:Original Phantasmat

This wannabe Phantasmat :

I don't recommend this game .

Ditto

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Dec 6, 12 10:35 AM
I'm not an ERS fan, but they have gone above the "same ole" with this game. I like the way they have kept the atmosphere of the original Phantasmat with the Screen setup, Match 3 play, creepy atmosphere, and graphic style.

Intro graphic video was done exceptionally well....pulled me right in to the story. I also like that I don't have to backtrack through a multitude of screens to advance. I'm playing on hard mode and the hint tells me what to do without revealing too much.

This is the first ERS in a long time that has me wanting to punch the "Buy Now" button. It is also one of the few recent, quality games that is playing perfectly on my MacBook Pro with Intel 3000HD graphics. (I have only played about 20 min of demo.)

ERS you have a winner with this game. Thanks.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 6, 12 10:49 AM
Very nice game. I have the first Phantasmat and really liked that one. This one seems better. Maybe it's the exceptional graphics. Excellent game play. Like the choice between HOGs and match 3 (I like to switch between the two occasionally). Very nice SG and quick hint recovery. I even liked the music!

This game had me from the first sentence and kept my interest through the demo, even though I figured out the story when meeting the very first "person." I find the need to continue and see what happened. It is a definite buy for me...especially with today's special.

As always, try the game for yourself and see if it is to your liking. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by snickers01 on Dec 6, 12 10:49 AM
gmac1007 wrote:Good morning everyone Hillary Hillbilly here tired of the same old Christmas hoo-rah with the family you know the one I'm talking about where the family comes over and tells you that you should be doing this and you really don't need to do that. Well head on down to Hillbilly Hideaway for Christmas this year. We have the fresh snow and the best redneck accommodations money can buy. All of our campers come with hot and cold water, television with vcr's and a complete box set of The Dukes Of Hazzard. This year we've added a sports bar where you can come and sing your favorite Christmas Carols on the scaryoke machine and once Bubba and the boys get good and liquored up they go to shooting the guns and put on the prettiest fireworks show you have ever seen. Also granny is always in the kitchen fixing up her special recipe of chitlins and pickled pigs feet yum yum. We have sleigh riding for the little ones and every year Pa puts on his Santa suit and delivers all the presents unless he's had a little too much of his secret recipe then Bubba Jr. does it. If your lucky you might even catch a glimpse of that Bigfoot fella but don't be scared it's only Billy Bob and he's a little camera shy so be careful trying to get a picture of him he has been known to throw a fit. Yes siree it's never a dull moment here at Hillbilly Hideaway so pack your bags or give us a call at 1-800-Hillybilly Hideaway and have a rootin tootin redneck Christmas or you can play this game it's full of snow and more eye candy than you can fit in your stocking. YEE-HAW !

Well what can I say it's awesome ! ERS didn't disappoint this game is gorgeous in every way. The opening is simply awesome. The graphics are nothing but eye candy and the colors are so detailed. The hos are interactive or if you choose you can switch and do match 3. The music is very fitting for this type of game.

There is a task list off to the left and a magnifying glass to the right to enlarge things if you need to. The hint system works nicely it will tell you what you need to do instead of saying nothing more to do here. The voice overs are really nice. The game flows like water no lagging between scenes and no sticky cursor. The puzzles I came across in the demo were different and fun. ERS did a heck of a job with this one. Give the demo a try it's worth it. Thank you ERS you ROCK and job well done, and thank you Big Fish for another snowy adventure. Have fun everybody !

[Post New]by snickers01 on Dec 6, 12 10:54 AM
So what part of the world are you from? I am a southern girl myself and laughed at the way you portray yourself but I have to tell you that I am not familar with that :brouge"..lol..Thought I had seen it all but haven't I see..hehe..anyway I love this game and will be off to buy!..MERRY CHRISTMAS FISHIES!!

Go to: